• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
liontari

Poll: Your Favourite Main Character

Who is your favourite EGS main character?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favourite EGS main character?

This seems like the kind of thread that the forum should have, I don’t know if the old one did.

The 8 "main" characters of EGS present a quite remarkable variety of character traits, although some of them are admittedly more fleshed out than others. Sarah, for example, seems until quite recently to have served as either the Only Sane Woman, a plot device, or the cuteness factor when Grace isn't available or enough. Justin hasn't precisely had his big moment yet, either, IMO.

Still, none of them really seem to blend together, so it's probably quite easy to identify a favourite.

For me, it's very hard to beat Susan. I like pretty much everything about her, from her backstory and as-of-yet mysterious connection to Diane, to her cynical sense of humour with the sweet Nature underneath. She's arguably got the deepest personal issues of any main character, with the possible exception of Tedd, and it's extremely satisfying to see her overcome them. In fact, I can't recall any comic in which she actively participates as being boring. It's a shame it's been a few years since the main storyline concentrated on her.

Very interested in hearing others' opinions! :) The more thorough your elaboration, the better.

Susan's had at least 3 arcs where she's had some character growth, "Hammerclorians" "Identity" and "Playing with Dolls". I guess "Playing with Dolls" is probably the least significant of the 3 but I consider her expressing her frustration about how she looks and the comments from people on the review show as growth. "Identity" was split between her and Elliot but her discovering that she's got a thing for watching others and the later coming to terms with not being ready for a physical relationship is a big deal. And of course, "Hammerclorians" was all Susan telling Sarah and Grace things she had kept buried for a while that probably affected her almost as, if not as much as finding her dad with another woman. I guess the segment of Grace's birthday where Susan and Justin nearly hook up was significant as well since it was an eye opener for her and helped reshape her views on males.

All in all, I think Susan's probably evolved the most over the course of the comic considering she started off as a man-hating feminist who thought Elliot was an A-hole to having a conflict of feeling over the possibility of dating him. Add that she's a Trekkie and yeah, she's my fave. ;)

As for backstories, it's hard to say who's is most significant, I mean yeah the Susan and Diane connection is something we all want to know more about, but Tedd and Nanase's family history ranks pretty high as well with why Noriko left, Adrian's involvement, what's special about Tedd and the whole Lord Tedd deal. Also the fact that Nanase's mom knows more than she's letting on.

Grace would be next with her though he backstory is now known to everyone who was was involved. Though there's still the very high possibility of her being a key player in the Lord Tedd and General Shade Tail storyline if Dan gets around to it.

After that it kinda drops off some, Ellen's backstory is known as well to everyone in the main 8 as well as her parents and Edward and Greg. What isn't known is directly tied to Elliot in terms of Magus and Pandora's involvment in Ellen's creation and why the immortals Helena and Demetrius have been following Elliot for it seems some time before their improper deaths.

Then there's Justin who's backstory involved him and Melissa which has pretty much been concluded unless Dan decides to bring them together as good friends through Noah or something. His involvement with Luke could prove interesting though.

Sarah has the least interesting background really, grew up with Elliot, unfortunately kept in the dark about Elliot's after school activities until shortly after the comic started. No mysterious past. What she has going for her is basically what's developed fairly recently, IE her breakup with Elliot and delving into magic with Tedd, and the most significant bit being her getting marked by Pandora.

I think it's safe to say that they're all involved in the overarching plot of Pandora though.

22 hours ago, Scotty said:

Susan's had at least 3 arcs where she's had some character growth, "Hammerclorians" "Identity" and "Playing with Dolls". I guess "Playing with Dolls" is probably the least significant of the 3 but I consider her expressing her frustration about how she looks and the comments from people on the review show as growth. "Identity" was split between her and Elliot but her discovering that she's got a thing for watching others and the later coming to terms with not being ready for a physical relationship is a big deal. And of course, "Hammerclorians" was all Susan telling Sarah and Grace things she had kept buried for a while that probably affected her almost as, if not as much as finding her dad with another woman. I guess the segment of Grace's birthday where Susan and Justin nearly hook up was significant as well since it was an eye opener for her and helped reshape her views on males.

All in all, I think Susan's probably evolved the most over the course of the comic considering she started off as a man-hating feminist who thought Elliot was an A-hole to having a conflict of feeling over the possibility of dating him. Add that she's a Trekkie and yeah, she's my fave. ;)

As for backstories, it's hard to say who's is most significant, I mean yeah the Susan and Diane connection is something we all want to know more about, but Tedd and Nanase's family history ranks pretty high as well with why Noriko left, Adrian's involvement, what's special about Tedd and the whole Lord Tedd deal. Also the fact that Nanase's mom knows more than she's letting on.

Grace would be next with her though he backstory is now known to everyone who was was involved. Though there's still the very high possibility of her being a key player in the Lord Tedd and General Shade Tail storyline if Dan gets around to it.

After that it kinda drops off some, Ellen's backstory is known as well to everyone in the main 8 as well as her parents and Edward and Greg. What isn't known is directly tied to Elliot in terms of Magus and Pandora's involvment in Ellen's creation and why the immortals Helena and Demetrius have been following Elliot for it seems some time before their improper deaths.

Then there's Justin who's backstory involved him and Melissa which has pretty much been concluded unless Dan decides to bring them together as good friends through Noah or something. His involvement with Luke could prove interesting though.

Sarah has the least interesting background really, grew up with Elliot, unfortunately kept in the dark about Elliot's after school activities until shortly after the comic started. No mysterious past. What she has going for her is basically what's developed fairly recently, IE her breakup with Elliot and delving into magic with Tedd, and the most significant bit being her getting marked by Pandora.

I think it's safe to say that they're all involved in the overarching plot of Pandora though.

Whoa, you took the prompt for elaboration quite seriously! Thank you, we got a pretty good overview of most unresolved plotlines related to the 8 in the process.

35 minutes ago, SeriousJupiter said:

I voted for Elliot, because I honestly like him the most, but it was painful to do because his name is misspelled in the poll. I can't stand misspelled names.

I really have no idea why I wrote the name like that. Fixed it. Yeah, he's pretty hard to dislike. For the most part, he's the relatable everyman, although he is occasionally a little bland if you don't consider his powers. But why would one do that?

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

We need an option for "I can't pick just one!"

2 hours ago, Stature said:

We sooo need to. Plus, that is sooo my line.

Done. No preference at all? Or just impossible to decide between two?

I am afraid that if EGS comes to an end, the producers will try to put Susan in her own spin off sit com.

It would ruin the essential Susan for her to be surrounded by sit com cliché characters.  It will also hold her back from pursuing roles that are unlike the EGS Susan.   And there is no way the new Susan series could run as long as EGS.

I um... pick Susan. 

I would elaborate further, but I'm very much uncomfortable going into the reasons why I identify with her.

10 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

I would pick Susan as well, though not for any legitimate reason, more out of Nostalgia... She strongly resembles my favorite Azumanga Daioh character...

Judging by your forum avatar, there does seem to be an uncanny resemblance.

I like Sarah.  She reminds me of my fiancée.  What can I say - the unassuming girl next door with a mischievous streak and a sense of adventure has always appealed to me.  :)

I used to relate very strongly to Justin (which is why I eventually voted for him), though now, it is incredibly difficult to make a choice. I was tempted to vote for Susan... as well as Tedd for obvious reasons and Grace and Nanase and... Oh boy, I like all Shive characters....

I disagree with the original post: the fact that all the characters are as unique as they are is the reason why it would be impossible to ever pick a favorite. Instead, i'd rather analyses and understand each and every one completely because they are all incredibly interesting and great.