• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Monday, March 4, 2019

Grace, you're just giving him your number without telling him you live with your magical boyfriend and his magic-police father?

Somebody is bound to hear something on the other line.  And that will lead to the Shenanigans you were trying to avert.

The logical thing for them to do now is have Grace borrow Sam's form to call herself, assuming they both have their phones--of course they have their phones, even I (finally) have a smartphone (and I remember the time before touch-tone phones!). Now this means at least a couple of things:

(1) Edward is going to find out about this call, and further calls, of course.

(2) Grace is going go get a call from Sam while she's with Sarah.

However, as to someone listening in on the other line--they'd be listening from the last century. Land lines? I think there's only been three calls on land lines in the entire canon of EGS and none of them involved Grace. Even Voltaire was surprised to actually find a pay phone.

Also, I'm also old enough to have actually lived in a home with a party line when I was a kid. This was when I was living way out in rural Idaho.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

The logical thing for them to do now is have Grace borrow Sam's form to call herself, assuming they both have their phones--of course they have their phones, even I (finally) have a smartphone (and I remember the time before touch-tone phones!). Now this means at least a couple of things:

(1) Edward is going to find out about this call, and further calls, of course.

(2) Grace is going go get a call from Sam while she's with Sarah.

However, as to someone listening in on the other line--they'd be listening from the last century. Land lines? I think there's only been three calls on land lines in the entire canon of EGS and none of them involved Grace. Even Voltaire was surprised to actually find a pay phone.

Also, I'm also old enough to have actually lived in a home with a party line when I was a kid. This was when I was living way out in rural Idaho.

I don't think Edward monitors the gang's phone usage as much as people thinks he does, for instance, Grace and Sarah's texts to each other, Edward questioned whether he should be concerned and Grace basically lied to him, there's been no indication that he's acquired logs of their cell activity or else he'd have pressed the matter later, and it's been over 2 weeks since then.

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Grace, you're just giving him your number without telling him you live with your magical boyfriend and his magic-police father?

She's presumably giving him her SMARTPHONE number.

You know, that special government-issued smartphone which can't be taped by anyone else than DGB and therefore can be used to talk about magic.

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't think Edward monitors the gang's phone usage as much as people thinks he does, for instance, Grace and Sarah's texts to each other, Edward questioned whether he should be concerned and Grace basically lied to him, there's been no indication that he's acquired logs of their cell activity or else he'd have pressed the matter later, and it's been over 2 weeks since then.

I'm sure the phones are monitored. Either Edward lost access to the logs when he stopped being head of paranormal division, or he's clever.

Actually, I don't think he would get to the position of head of paranormal division without being clever enough for this:

Pressing matter wouldn't help: Grace could just as easily continue lying. NOT pressing matters means not drawing attention to phones being monitored and therefore raises chance they would say or text something more useful next time.

Thinking that Edward doesn't monitor the phones just because he doesn't talk about it is like thinking that Mrs. Kitsune doesn't know about Nanase having magic just because she doesn't talk about it.

... now, the question if Mrs. Kitsune is getting Nanase's phone logs and has access to her file at DGB is still open.

17 hours ago, Dan said:

There are people in Moperville who think Grace has a bunch of girlfriends. I can't imagine why.

Of course she has a bunch of girlfriends. Let's see: Tedd, Sarah, Tedd (different form), Ellen, Tedd (yet another form), Grace (another form, seen with Tedd in Grace form) ...

If Dan is really going to end this storyline soon, we aren't likely to find out for sure to play out the consequences here. Maybe it will end with Smokey's "civilian" form in the last comic--although Dan being Dan,, he or she may not be identified as Smokey.

On the other hand, "soon" could mean "by the end of the evening." Remember how long the evening of Elliot and Ashley's first date took to play out in Dan Time? So, maybe by Easter.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

If Dan is really going to end this storyline soon, we aren't likely to find out for sure to play out the consequences here. Maybe it will end with Smokey's "civilian" form in the last comic--although Dan being Dan,, he or she may not be identified as Smokey.

I don't think it's a girl, although it can't be completely ruled out ...

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

On the other hand, "soon" could mean "by the end of the evening." Remember how long the evening of Elliot and Ashley's first date took to play out in Dan Time? So, maybe by Easter.

Dan opened anonymous tumblr ask. I don't think he wants to keep it open that long. And he has the storyline prescripted doesn't he? So there shouldn't be that much space for unexpected prolongation ...

Just now, hkmaly said:

Pressing matter wouldn't help: Grace could just as easily continue lying. NOT pressing matters means not drawing attention to phones being monitored and therefore raises chance they would say or text something more useful next time.

Actually, pressing the matter would help, Edward could easily going into a lecture about Grace hiding things from him and she would feel guilty as heck. Sarah and Tedd being marked by the Immortal responsible for most of the incidences in Moperville, Pandora's interactions with Sarah, Grace's interactions with Adrian in solving the Boar issue, the whole thing with Luke at the card tournament. These are all things that Edward would consider need to know even though he's no longer head of the paranormal division and withholding that information could be considered breach of trust while living in his home.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Thinking that Edward doesn't monitor the phones just because he doesn't talk about it is like thinking that Mrs. Kitsune doesn't know about Nanase having magic just because she doesn't talk about it.

Mama Kitsune probably only knows about Nanase because Edward's told her about her involvement in the goo fight and the Nest, and Cranium filled her in on what happened when Abraham attacked, it's also possible that she knows a spellbook when she sees one.

22 hours ago, Scotty said:
On 3/5/2019 at 0:24 AM, hkmaly said:

Actually, pressing the matter would help, Edward could easily going into a lecture about Grace hiding things from him and she would feel guilty as heck.

Not sure about this. Grace may pretend to be innocent, but she lied much better than Elliot would.

Sarah and Tedd being marked by the Immortal responsible for most of the incidences in Moperville, Pandora's interactions with Sarah, Grace's interactions with Adrian in solving the Boar issue, the whole thing with Luke at the card tournament. These are all things that Edward would consider need to know even though he's no longer head of the paranormal division and withholding that information could be considered breach of trust while living in his home.

Sure, but ... either you underestimate him and he KNOWS about some or all of that, OR he underestimates Sarah and considers the secret less important than it actually is. That SMS only proved Grace lied and that they have secret, didn't revealed how big secret it is.

Note, for example, that he may be able to recognize Sarah, Tedd or both being marked and assume (almost correctly) that this was about their spells and that they don't want to share with him because it's something related to sex and other fun activities (wouldn't be that off either).

I think this question mark page is a kind of eye-opener: we see the events from main eight point of view (usually), but what Edward said about not feeding Tedd misinformation doesn't mean he tells him everything (in fact, we know for sure he doesn't tell him everything) and what is REALLY happening is much closer to what you expect secret organization would do. "Every ability your friends have are on file"? I don't think main eight SHOWN all their spells to him ... but it's quite believable he knows anyway, either due to spying on Tedd and his experiments or some other kind of spying.

... in fact, those phones may not record only calls. They may record even when turned off, actually. Would tell Edward quite a lot.

(Yes, I believe a fairy who called Sarah friend over a secret agent working for government, although both had reason to lie ...)

(EDIT: How Pandora knows about those files? Well, she DID mentioned anyone with SKILLS to see them ... personally, I think she's empowered some computer to full AI so she could talk with him in human language and ask questions like "find me the most interesting magic users", which broken the only protection against fairies those files had, namely being boring.)

On 3/5/2019 at 0:24 AM, hkmaly said:

Mama Kitsune probably only knows about Nanase because Edward's told her about her involvement in the goo fight and the Nest, and Cranium filled her in on what happened when Abraham attacked, it's also possible that she knows a spellbook when she sees one.

Nanase is getting better with hiding stuff - it's likely she was worse in past ; I think it's safe to assume that the incident you linked wasn't first time she could've noticed the spellbook AND she probably saw Nanase casting some spell. She might even realize this incident was test of spell in hindsight, if not right away.

And those are SAFE assumptions. For less safe ... If she's magic user (which is quite likely) she may have magical means to see Nanase ; she might, in some moment, READ the spellbook - and, as magic user, understand what it is. Or, as another speculation, she has more informations about Nanase from Edward and DGB than you assume.

Or, well ... she might realized what's Greg's training about in advance and deliberately put Nanase there. Although considering she didn't tell Edward, this is pretty wild speculation ...

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... in fact, those phones may not record only calls. They may record even when turned off, actually. Would tell Edward quite a lot.

(Yes, I believe a fairy who called Sarah friend over a secret agent working for government, although both had reason to lie ...)

(EDIT: How Pandora knows about those files? Well, she DID mentioned anyone with SKILLS to see them ... personally, I think she's empowered some computer to full AI so she could talk with him in human language and ask questions like "find me the most interesting magic users", which broken the only protection against fairies those files had, namely being boring.)

The latter here perfectly illustrates the problem with the former. Having the phones record "everything" means that they produce a lot of data that needs to be sifted through to find the useful parts, which would take up way too much labor without a technological or magical means of separating the "boring" from the "interesting".

17 hours ago, ijuin said:

The latter here perfectly illustrates the problem with the former. Having the phones record "everything" means that they produce a lot of data that needs to be sifted through to find the useful parts, which would take up way too much labor without a technological or magical means of separating the "boring" from the "interesting".

You might noticed your phone is clever enough to notice if you say "Ok, Google" or "Hey Siri". They can get almost everything looking for keywords like "magic" or "spell". Now, Pandora's threshold for what is interesting is obviously higher, THATS why she needs AI.

EDIT: Although I wonder: could it be that they record everything but it takes then some time before they go through it and analyze it?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

EDIT: Although I wonder: could it be that they record everything but it takes then some time before they go through it and analyze it?

Or, they could record and archive it all, and only go analyse the recordings if they have cause to later.

9 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Or, they could record and archive it all, and only go analyse the recordings if they have cause to later.

Yes, just hearing the parts where they expect something interesting will be said. Although that probably WOULD include Sarah's talk about Pandora.