• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Story Wednesday March 06, 2019

http://egscomics.com/comic/tsos-48

Well, Edward took this better than I expected

And I'm sure it was completely accidental that Grace had her adorable squirrel tail fully extended while delivering bad news. 
Certainly not an attempt to appear more sympathetic and harmless to someone berating her.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Spelling

Well, the odds are against Smokey being a seer. However, considering how many improbable things that we know of have already happened in Moperville...

Probably the odds are against this amazing crackpot plot theory, but doesn't Smokey seem kinda childish? We do know of one little kid who's a seer, and who has a connection with someone very close to Grace in this comic.

Just realized.

If memory serves, this is the first in-comic confirmation we have received that Edward now knows that Tedd is a Seer.

Which means that all our speculation of how the two of them would react when this fact was revealed has just been glossed over.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Well, the odds are against Smokey being a seer. However, considering how many improbable things that we know of have already happened in Moperville...

Probably the odds are against this amazing crackpot plot theory, but doesn't Smokey seem kinda childish? We do know of one little kid who's a seer, and who has a connection with someone very close to Grace in this comic.

The odds of a Seer are about one per seven million humans. The odds of a non-Seer Wizard are probably several thousand times that (including non-Awakened Wizards). There can reasonably be dozens of Wizards running around Moperville, but only Arthur and Tedd are known to be Seers out of them.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If memory serves, this is the first in-comic confirmation we have received that Edward now knows that Tedd is a Seer.

Which means that all our speculation of how the two of them would react when this fact was revealed has just been glossed over.

I would hope that Dan plans on rewinding to where Tedd tells Edward about that, maybe the next storyline starts with Tedd telling Edward what happened and how Arthur wants to give him a lab and requested that Ashley learn how to wizard under his observation, and figure out what happened to Ellen.

Berating Grace is what I was talking about in the previous thread. If Edward had easy access to cell logs and such, we'd see more berating.

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

I wonder if Edward has told Tedd he has a brother. Don't think there's much chance Edward doesn't know.

I'm still unsure what the purpose of hiding that from Tedd for the time being serves really, Tedd already knows that his parents divorced over the fact that Noriko thought that Tedd had no magic potential and that she's also a powerful wizard, I don't think it'd be a surprise for him, or anyone in his position, to learn that a parent remarried and had another child. Tedd would probably even understand if Van didn't react to the magic analysis wand like Tedd did.

I do wonder exactly how much Tedd told Edward though, it's confirmed that Tedd told him that he's a Seer, but did he say that he found out through Pandora and that she told him about his mom and how Adrian is his godfather?

8 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I do wonder exactly how much Tedd told Edward though

And on the flip side, how much has Edward told Tedd?

Dan has already announced a Q&A series coming up.  Would this be the kind of information to be revealed through narration rather than dramatization?

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And on the flip side, how much has Edward told Tedd?

Dan has already announced a Q&A series coming up.  Would this be the kind of information to be revealed through narration rather than dramatization?

The conversation seems like it should be part of a storyline, rather than a short recap in a Q&A.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

I would hope that Dan plans on rewinding to where Tedd tells Edward about that, maybe the next storyline starts with Tedd telling Edward what happened and how Arthur wants to give him a lab and requested that Ashley learn how to wizard under his observation, and figure out what happened to Ellen.

I can see three ways that would go:

* Wall of text exposition, recaping stuff we've already seen but the two haven't shared with each other.  This is what the Dan of the first couple of years of the comic would have done.

* Skilful use of the conversation to recap things as a way of making sure everyone is up to date and remembers all the relevant facts, to set up the next storyline.  Dan could definitely handle this now.

* Cleverly using the conversation to reveal layers of information about the characters, their differing perceptions of what's happened, and the differences in their attitudes and plans, as well as working in information new to us as well as the characters.  I am confident that Dan has evolved enough as a storyteller to be able to do this; although it's a lot more work to do well, the payoff is a joy to read!

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

I can see three ways that would go:

* Wall of text exposition, recaping stuff we've already seen but the two haven't shared with each other.  This is what the Dan of the first couple of years of the comic would have done.

* Skilful use of the conversation to recap things as a way of making sure everyone is up to date and remembers all the relevant facts, to set up the next storyline.  Dan could definitely handle this now.

* Cleverly using the conversation to reveal layers of information about the characters, their differing perceptions of what's happened, and the differences in their attitudes and plans, as well as working in information new to us as well as the characters.  I am confident that Dan has evolved enough as a storyteller to be able to do this; although it's a lot more work to do well, the payoff is a joy to read!

I was thinking something similar to the first part of Squirrel Prophet.

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Well, Edward took this better than I expected

The fact he wasn't surprised probably helped.

15 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And I'm sure it was completely accidental that Grace had her adorable squirrel tail fully extended while delivering bad news. 
Certainly not an attempt to appear more sympathetic and harmless to someone berating her.

Yup :)

14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

YES. Damn. Like, obviously he was being told either by Tedd or by Arthur, but I hoped it would be on-panel ...

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

... there may still be chance ...

13 hours ago, ijuin said:
14 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The odds of a Seer are about one per seven million humans. The odds of a non-Seer Wizard are probably several thousand times that (including non-Awakened Wizards). There can reasonably be dozens of Wizards running around Moperville, but only Arthur and Tedd are known to be Seers out of them.

The odds of Smokey being Seer are much lower if you realize we know ALL Seers who know about magic. I mean, the reset was not that long ago, so it's unlikely he found about magic afterwards. And he can't be one of those two who got themselves illegible because then he would know much more.

11 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I wonder if Edward has told Tedd he has a brother. Don't think there's much chance Edward doesn't know.

I think he may not know. He may not WANT to know details about Noriko. Like, the wound is still too fresh etc.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

Tedd already knows that his parents divorced over the fact that Noriko thought that Tedd had no magic potential and that she's also a powerful wizard

But unless he told Edward, Edward doesn't KNOW he knows.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

If Edward had easy access to cell logs and such, we'd see more berating.

He was saving it for the time he wouldn't have to reveal the cell logs for that. It's not like he needed to wait that long ...

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

But unless he told Edward, Edward doesn't KNOW he knows.

Exactly.  Tedd is keeping secrets from his father and that sort of thing tends to snowball.

("His" father because that's the form Tedd is in on this page)

Last we heard, Mr. Verres was almost certain that learning about his mother, even just the fact that she was a famous monster-hunter, would send him into a severe withdrawl from everyone and likely depression.

25 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

Last we heard, Mr. Verres was almost certain that learning about his mother, even just the fact that she was a famous monster-hunter, would send him into a severe withdrawl from everyone and likely depression.

To be fair, his reaction did seemed little ... irrational. And he was not able to sleep. And this looks like depression. And he mentioned previously that thinking about Edward being wrong brings out the angst (can't find it now).

It's possible that if he would learned the fact that his mother abandoned him because he doesn't have magic BEFORE finding out he DOES have magic, it WOULD result in something like that.

Of course, maybe not. Maybe Edward underestimated how much stronger his friends made him.

(Also, I doubt that Edward would realize that now when Tedd knows he's seer it's safe to tell him about his mother, no matter how much sense it makes.)

25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

But nothing really out of the ordinary.  Tedd dealt with it pretty quickly, and she was in a much better mood after their talk than he had been before it.  It explained one of the great mysteries in Tedd's life.  Kids often blame themselves when their parents split up, but Tedd is old enough now to realize that parents have motivations too, and are only human.  Tedd can see that her leaving was a fault in her, not Tedd.  And is rational enough to realize the implications of his reaction to the wand almost immediately.

And he was not able to sleep.

He had a lot on his mind.  Again, Tedd's reaction is nothing unusual for someone who has just found out that their plan for their life isn't going to happen.  I had a friend who wanted to be a Japanese translator, but then discovered that her eyesight was just too bad for the teeny little details of kanji.  She had to completely rethink what her life goals were and figure out how to achieve new ones.

There's a difference between a normal response to a loss and depression.  Depression is when it's out of proportion or is lasting far longer than it should.  Feeling sad isn't depression.  Feeling regrets isn't depression.  Even mourning isn't necessarily depression, indeed it can be quite healthy and failing to mourn a loss is what's unhealthy.

And he mentioned previously that thinking about Edward being wrong brings out the angst (can't find it now).

It was Elliot and Tedd on the basement couch, wasn't it?  No, wait, maybe I'm thinking of Tedd angsting over breakups.  Well, I know what you mean, anyway, and I don't think a little anxiety is the same thing as becoming so withdrawn people thought Tedd was mute.  Edward's fears are way overblown, and sadly show a real lack of confidence in Tedd's ability to deal.  He doesn't see how much Tedd has grown and changed (Insert joke about bra cup sizes here).

It's possible that if he would learned the fact that his mother abandoned him because he doesn't have magic BEFORE finding out he DOES have magic, it WOULD result in something like that.

I don't think so.  Even then, he had friends to help him through, and despite their differences and trust issues, I don't think Tedd actually doubts that Edward loves him.  Tedd had accepted his "thing" and could talk about it rationally with Sarah, not to mention work on ways to compensate for it.  I see a little sadness, a little regret, but nothing more.  Even just talking about it with a friend is healthy.

(Also, I doubt that Edward would realize that now when Tedd knows he's seer it's safe to tell him about his mother, no matter how much sense it makes.)

I think it would have been "safe" long before this, but the timing certainly is better this way.

18 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

There's a difference between a normal response to a loss and depression.  Depression is when it's out of proportion or is lasting far longer than it should.  Feeling sad isn't depression.  Feeling regrets isn't depression.  Even mourning isn't necessarily depression, indeed it can be quite healthy and failing to mourn a loss is what's unhealthy.

There is a difference, but it tends to be hard to notice from outside.

Note that Voltaire considered it bad enough. Although it's true he didn't needed "so withdrawn people would though he's mute" level.

21 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

and I don't think a little anxiety is the same thing as becoming so withdrawn people thought Tedd was mute.  Edward's fears are way overblown, and sadly show a real lack of confidence in Tedd's ability to deal.  He doesn't see how much Tedd has grown and changed (Insert joke about bra cup sizes here).

I wouldn't be so sure they are WAY overblown - although I agree that they were exaggerated and that Edward didn't see how much Tedd has grown and changed (despite seeing him transformed all the time :)).

24 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I don't think so.  Even then, he had friends to help him through, and despite their differences and trust issues, I don't think Tedd actually doubts that Edward loves him.  Tedd had accepted his "thing" and could talk about it rationally with Sarah, not to mention work on ways to compensate for it.  I see a little sadness, a little regret, but nothing more.  Even just talking about it with a friend is healthy.

I wouldn't be sure either direction. But true, his talk with Sarah does imply that Sarah might be able to help him with that. Maybe I would be just too careful (although not AS much as Edward).

26 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:

I think it would have been "safe" long before this, but the timing certainly is better this way.

There is "safe" and there is "probably recoverable". Edward would definitely not want to risk even just little bit, and I think that finding about being seer removed the last bit of risk.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think he may not know. He may not WANT to know details about Noriko. Like, the wound is still too fresh etc.

I don't think that fits Edward. Considering how much trauma Noriko has already caused Tedd, Edward would want to know if Noriko might be causing Tedd even more. Plus, by now Noriko should know about Van's encounter with Arthur and Tedd, would have checked with Arthur to confirm the story, and would at least thought about having a word with Edward.

53 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think that fits Edward. Considering how much trauma Noriko has already caused Tedd, Edward would want to know if Noriko might be causing Tedd even more.

She's unlikely to cause more trauma if she remains in Europe. Doesn't require him to look into her personal life.

54 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Plus, by now Noriko should know about Van's encounter with Arthur and Tedd, would have checked with Arthur to confirm the story, and would at least thought about having a word with Edward.

Not if she has no way to securely contact him. Or if she has reasons to not trust him.

Although it's definitely true that even if she deliberately never tried to contact Edward OR Raven, she would be thinking about it now.

(Depending on what SHE thinks about Raven's role in that history, she may consider contacting Raven to ask him if it's good idea to contact Edward. Obviously, there is still question if she has means to securely contact anyone from US. Depends WHERE in Europe she is, although Van would suggest she's in England and that shouldn't be so problematic ...)

8 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

And he mentioned previously that thinking about Edward being wrong brings out the angst (can't find it now).

It was Elliot and Tedd on the basement couch, wasn't it?  No, wait, maybe I'm thinking of Tedd angsting over breakups.

It was with Sarah when he revealed to her that the wand said he had no magic potential. Tedd knew that the wand his mother kept using the wand on him to figure out why he had no magic potential, but I think his reason for not wanting to think about them being wrong was for more mundane things like "Dad's a wizard, it doesn't make sense for him to not know what's wrong with me" but the actually explanation from Pandora had the effect of "Of course my parents didn't know about Seers and how powerful they are so the wand completely baffled them!"

It became more irony than angsty.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Plus, by now Noriko should know about Van's encounter with Arthur and Tedd, would have checked with Arthur to confirm the story, and would at least thought about having a word with Edward.

That's assuming Van has told his mother about what happened to him.  Magic kept him longer than the other two, and we really don't know what Magic had to say to him, other than it not being a good idea to tell Tedd right away.  Maybe telling his mom would lead to her contacting Tedd before Magic thinks it's appropriate.

Good news everyone! Dan promised he WILL show how Mr. Verres was told about Tedd being Seer.

https://danshive.tumblr.com/post/183279891032/i-am-more-interested-in-mr-verress-reaction-to

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

It was with Sarah when he revealed to her that the wand said he had no magic potential. Tedd knew that the wand his mother kept using the wand on him to figure out why he had no magic potential, but I think his reason for not wanting to think about them being wrong was for more mundane things like "Dad's a wizard, it doesn't make sense for him to not know what's wrong with me" but the actually explanation from Pandora had the effect of "Of course my parents didn't know about Seers and how powerful they are so the wand completely baffled them!"

It became more irony than angsty.

Right, that was the one. And I still think there was some element of "if he would think about it too long, he would need to admit why mom left" but yes, the irony diffused that.

11 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
18 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

That's assuming Van has told his mother about what happened to him.  Magic kept him longer than the other two, and we really don't know what Magic had to say to him, other than it not being a good idea to tell Tedd right away.  Maybe telling his mom would lead to her contacting Tedd before Magic thinks it's appropriate.

Hmmmmmm ... ok. Magic telling him might be reason why he didn't told mom. Although I would think he STILL told her about the reset and being seer - trying to keep THAT secret would be suspicious, while forgetting that detail that one of those seers was Tedd is no problem - he can just say "oh, right, that was her name, why, is that important?"

Children are unpredictable. You never know what inconsistency they're going to catch you in next. (Franklin P. Jones) ... therefore, it makes sense that Magic would explicitly told him they are brothers BUT that he shouldn't tell mom instead of just hoping won't mention it by chance.

And without Tedd's name, mom might decide she doesn't need to hurry in verifying it with Arthur.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Children are unpredictable. You never know what inconsistency they're going to catch you in next. (Franklin P. Jones) ... therefore, it makes sense that Magic would explicitly told him they are brothers BUT that he shouldn't tell mom instead of just hoping won't mention it by chance.

Magic specifically said that it would be better that Tedd should not learn he was Van's sibling until later. Now, the very first thing Van said was that his mother would cut anyone who hurt him. Sounds to me like he's really close with his mum.

And if Van actually tries to keep this secret from his mother, how many of you were really able to keep secrets from your mother at that age? For that matter, how many of you can now?

12 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Magic specifically said that it would be better that Tedd should not learn he was Van's sibling until later. Now, the very first thing Van said was that his mother would cut anyone who hurt him. Sounds to me like he's really close with his mum.

And if Van actually tries to keep this secret from his mother, how many of you were really able to keep secrets from your mother at that age? For that matter, how many of you can now?

It's true that another option would be that he WILL tell her but also tell her to not contact Edward about that yet.

Oh, good argument for Mrs. Kitsune to know Nanase has magic :) ... also, I see you find hard to believe Nanase kept secret what clothes she wears outside ...

I already implied his chance to keep secret being seer are minimal. Keeping secret he met his sibling, who he doesn't know so it doesn't mean anything for him, and with the possibility of using lot of other information as cover for signs like being excited AND a way to distract his mother from using her usual lie detectors? I would say he has good chance to keep it secret until some other information about Tedd appears.

(Of course, if they meet Tedd or even just see him in television or something, his chances to keep secret it's not first time he sees him would be minimal. But that's not the situation he's in.)

On 3/6/2019 at 5:46 AM, Tom Sewell said:

I see no evidence that Edward knows, and no particular reason to think that he knows. (Also, no particular reason to think that he doesn't.)

On 3/6/2019 at 2:54 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I'm still waiting for the first in-comic confirmation. This isn't it.

Somebody said:

and I don't think a little anxiety is the same thing as becoming so withdrawn people thought Tedd was mute.  Edward's fears are way overblown, and sadly show a real lack of confidence in Tedd's ability to deal.  He doesn't see how much Tedd has grown and changed (Insert joke about bra cup sizes here).

that Edward didn't see how much Tedd has grown and changed (despite seeing him transformed all the time :)).

It occurs to me that if Edward thinks Tedd is transforming to hide from who he is (the person who caused his parents to break up, for example), Edward's attitude toward the transformation makes a fair amount of sense and isn't all that bad. In that context, the transformations would be unhealthy in the long run.

(Operative words there being "if Edward thinks".)

Every indication we have, though, is that Tedd's transformations are an expression of who Tedd is - not a way of hiding from who Tedd is.