• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

Q&A Wed March 13 2019

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Let's hope for a short Q&A.

Let's hope it will get denser. Despite the walls of text, this page only answered single question. Ok, also "could Grace give two people shoulder rubs at the same time", but that doesn't seem important ... although it made me thinking what else she can do with her telekinesis and if she already tried it with Tedd ...

AARUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Have completely misunderstood how Grace's telekinesis works!

This feels like failing the mid term and now I need to go back over the entire EGS Semester or I won't stand a chance on the finals.

And I was hoping to get a job as an EGS tutor...

10 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I Have completely misunderstood how Grace's telekinesis works!

Wait why do you think so? There wasn't anything on this page about how Grace's telekinesis works.

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Let's hope it will get denser. Despite the walls of text, this page only answered single question. Ok, also "could Grace give two people shoulder rubs at the same time", but that doesn't seem important ... although it made me thinking what else she can do with her telekinesis and if she already tried it with Tedd ...

Suggesting Grace can give two people shoulder rubs at the same time is very important, cus not only would Tedd be one recipient, but obviously Sarah would be the other.

This is just more fuel for the OT3.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Wait why do you think so? There wasn't anything on this page about how Grace's telekinesis works.

I think that's the point, it was assumed that Grace was using telekinesis to "feel" a person's physical structure based on how Grace described it, but it seems more likely that she was referring to "touch" as a separate sense from being able aware of where things are. Dan's basically saying that Grace has other senses that are boosted by her antennae, like sight, maybe sound is enhanced too.

Not sure about smell though...

Actually I'm getting the impression that Dan describing Grace's antennae as literal antennae like radar/sonar/lidar/etc, she can get an idea of where things are and then focus on a particular object or something to get more detail of what looks like.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Actually I'm getting the impression that Dan describing Grace's antennae as literal antennae like radar/sonar/lidar/etc, she can get an idea of where things are and then focus on a particular object or something to get more detail of what looks like.

My question would be are they active or passive?  Active means they send out a pulse, then "listen" for the echo.  This is what normal radar does.  Passive just listens for the noise the target is making.    Radio Direction finders and sub's sonar work this way in the main.  Of course sonar can be active "pinging", but that's not what you use if you want to be hidden.

Just now, mlooney said:

My question would be are they active or passive?  Active means they send out a pulse, then "listen" for the echo.  This is what normal radar does.  Passive just listens for the noise the target is making.    Radio Direction finders and sub's sonar work this way in the main.  Of course sonar can be active "pinging", but that's not what you use if you want to be hidden.

Well, relying on noise that targets make wouldn't work too well for objects that are silent, like the dice cease making noise once they've stopped rolling. It'd have to be a somewhat active ping, maybe similar to how Sarah's mark spell scans the area around her, but it's reletively low-res until Grace focuses on a particular target.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Suggesting Grace can give two people shoulder rubs at the same time is very important, cus not only would Tedd be one recipient, but obviously Sarah would be the other.

This is just more fuel for the OT3.

... didn't considered this angle ...

it seems more likely that she was referring to "touch" as a separate sense from being able aware of where things are. Dan's basically saying that Grace has other senses that are boosted by her antennae, like sight, maybe sound is enhanced too.

Not sure about smell though...

It's not like the "touch enhancement" is actually touch ... and remember that Adrian Raven can taste power with his ears.

8 hours ago, mlooney said:

The answer would be the usual "yes" ... I mean "both". I would assume she can use her senses both in active and passive mode or has some active, some passive - the touch, for example, is active mode.

4 hours ago, mlooney said:

Noise, in this context, includes all the spectrum, so if they improve her vision, that would count.

More like all the spectra. Or whatever the plural is. Her telekinesis is neither sound nor light based.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

It'd have to be a somewhat active ping, maybe similar to how Sarah's mark spell scans the area around her, but it's reletively low-res until Grace focuses on a particular target.

... also neither light nor sound based, obviously.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... didn't considered this angle ...

It's not like the "touch enhancement" is actually touch ... and remember that Adrian Raven can taste power with his ears.

The answer would be the usual "yes" ... I mean "both". I would assume she can use her senses both in active and passive mode or has some active, some passive - the touch, for example, is active mode.

More like all the spectra. Or whatever the plural is. Her telekinesis is neither sound nor light based.

... also neither light nor sound based, obviously.

It's one of three things.

It's either sound, which is carried through the air at Mach One,

or photons (ranging from microwave to X-rays if they're giving good angular resolution and reflecting off of stuff), moving at "c",

or Thaums(1), which travel at "p", the speed of plot.

(1) The Thaum is the quantum particle of magic, courtesy of Sir Terry Pratchett.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

It's one of three things.

It's either sound, which is carried through the air at Mach One,

or photons (ranging from microwave to X-rays if they're giving good angular resolution and reflecting off of stuff), moving at "c",

or Thaums(1), which travel at "p", the speed of plot.

It could easily be Tau, W boson, verteron or tachyon, as far as we know. Or spooky action on distance (quantum entanglement effect named by Einstein). I mean, the thaum DOES sound most likely, but Dan didn't shared any detail of physic of EGS magic, so we can't rule out anything.

Taus and W bosons don't last long enough to travel macroscopic distances unless they're moving so close to lightspeed that they are extremely time dilated. We're talking sub-picosecond lifespans here.

I think Veterons are from Star Trek?

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Taus and W bosons don't last long enough to travel macroscopic distances unless they're moving so close to lightspeed that they are extremely time dilated. We're talking sub-picosecond lifespans here.

... ok, then maybe not those two.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

I think Veterons are from Star Trek?

Verterons. Yes. Capable of traveling faster than light, present in wormholes.