• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
mlooney

NP Wed March 13, 2019

Recommended Posts

To be fair, while it's usually worth the try to open the chest manually, magically locked chest may be impossible to open without any visible lock.

Otherwise, she should try Mewtwo and Espeon. And, to reference something else, Mellon. Also, it's Alohomora, Wingardium Leviosa is levitation spell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do they think they know the chest better than she does?  I mean, there could be an internal lock, or even a magical lock, as well as the obvious external bolt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or it's simply that she is so used to doing everything magically that she's forgotten that it can be done non-magically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Or it's simply that she is so used to doing everything magically that she's forgotten that it can be done non-magically.

Well, probably. But we can still speculate about even more funny alternatives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Locks are a powerful psychological deterrent.

An impressive looking lock may keep an intruder or thief from even attempting to enter.

On the hand of the other, that shiny new lock you install may blind you to the other gaps in your perimeter defense.

Circe "knew" that the crypt was protected by magic.  She was so certain of this that it simply did not occur to her to breach or bypass any barrier through mundane means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've watched some videos on that Lockpicking Lawyer youtube channel.  For someone who knows what they are doing, locks are ONLY a psychological deterrent.

He opens some of those locks faster with a pick than I could with the key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

 

Otherwise, she should try Mewtwo and Espeon. And, to reference something else, Mellon. Also, it's Alohomora, Wingardium Leviosa is levitation spell.

Obviously "Circe" is panicking and used the wrong one.

Or she could also be meme savvy: look up OneyNG's Wingardium Leviosa video and be prepared to only hear that voice whenever you see the phrase. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Scotty said:
On 3/14/2019 at 0:04 AM, hkmaly said:

Otherwise, she should try Mewtwo and Espeon. And, to reference something else, Mellon. Also, it's Alohomora, Wingardium Leviosa is levitation spell.

Obviously "Circe" is panicking and used the wrong one.

Obviously. Also, I think that she didn't MEANT to use pokemons, but after trying Abrakadabra and Alakazam she tried whatever it reminded her.

(I wonder how many pokemons Gandalf used ... he was also getting desperate ...)

11 hours ago, showler said:

I've watched some videos on that Lockpicking Lawyer youtube channel.  For someone who knows what they are doing, locks are ONLY a psychological deterrent.

He opens some of those locks faster with a pick than I could with the key.

Depends on the lock. Standard pin tumbler lock, obviously. There are videos on youtube how to open those, and there is patent for lock bumping from 1928. Presumably, the Lockpicking Lawyer will NOT demonstrate how he CAN'T open some locks ...

... as long as we talk about opening without damage. ANY lock can be opened with explosives. Still, there are doors safe enough it's easier to smash the wall next to them.

Only really secure doors are teleport-based ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 7:28 AM, showler said:

I've watched some videos on that Lockpicking Lawyer youtube channel.  For someone who knows what they are doing, locks are ONLY a psychological deterrent.

He opens some of those locks faster with a pick than I could with the key.

One of the local makerspaces is also home to meetings of TOOOL, The Open Order Of Lockpicks.  They have sets of padlocks with from one to six tumblers, and sets of lockpicks anyone attending can use to pick them, starting with the easiest and working your way up.  They'll usually have a few other types of locks to try, and some kind of a lecture or demo (or occasionally drinking games).  The one thing they can't do is sell anyone their own set of lockpicks, as it's illegal in Illinois.  You can possess them, but you can't sell them, kinda like alcohol during Prohibition. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Stature said:

And thus, 2-3 references are canon in this temple.

There is a television set here? :demonicduck: 

I don't think Circe is actually guarding the temple personally all the time. Definitely not without TV, that would be incredibly boring. It's possible she has TV AND internet, and PC and several game consoles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think Circe is actually guarding the temple personally all the time. Definitely not without TV, that would be incredibly boring. It's possible she has TV AND internet, and PC and several game consoles.

Or uses an enchanted sleep that lasts untill anything non-boring happens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Haylo said:
41 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think Circe is actually guarding the temple personally all the time. Definitely not without TV, that would be incredibly boring. It's possible she has TV AND internet, and PC and several game consoles.

Or uses an enchanted sleep that lasts untill anything non-boring happens?

1) Wouldn't explain her knowing something from book which came out in 1997 and game which was translated into English in 1998.

2) If something like that would be possible, don't you think Pandora would do it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Haylo said:

an enchanted sleep that lasts untill anything non-boring happens?

 

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If something like that would be possible, don't you think Pandora would do it?

My guess is that she already did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Circe doesn't need to be continuously present. She can have a magical alarm that notifies her when someone reaches a certain point in her crypt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Circe doesn't need to be continuously present. She can have a magical alarm that notifies her when someone reaches a certain point in her crypt.

She may not even NEED to. Those transformations "traps" are powered by her, just like Jerry was powering the hammer. She may feel when someone activates the trap due to the power requirements.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this