• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Wednesday March 27, 2019

I am someone who lived with an undiagnosed borderline Autism Spectrum disorder (something like Asperger's) for over forty years.

I don't blame my family, schools, or physician.  If kids like me weren't disruptive or lagging too far behind the rest of the class then there really wasn't too much any one could do to or for us.  That type of condition just wasn't  a concern in a small town out in the middle of nowhere.

There are aspects of myself I see in several of these characters.  No.  I can not turn into a super powered cheerleader or understand what animals are saying.  Most of the time I can not understand what people are saying.  But other than that...

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Dan talked about this on Twitter the other day, but I have also seen people ask about it before so it makes sense to make it the subject of Q&A, even if it isn't a solid "yes or no" answer.

I'm starting to think we won't really get any new info in this Q&A.

On the other hand ... did we really get new info in previous Q&A's, or was I just not paying that much attention to twitter back then?

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I am someone who lived with an undiagnosed borderline Autism Spectrum disorder (something like Asperger's) for over forty years.

I don't blame my family, schools, or physician.  If kids like me weren't disruptive or lagging too far behind the rest of the class then there really wasn't too much any one could do to or for us.  That type of condition just wasn't  a concern in a small town out in the middle of nowhere.

There are aspects of myself I see in several of these characters.  No.  I can not turn into a super powered cheerleader or understand what animals are saying.  Most of the time I can not understand what people are saying.  But other than that...

Is there really firm border between Asperger and introvert? If there is, I'm not sure which side of it I'm on ... but I wouldn't be so sure about that.

56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think it really matters to us, Dan's really made it known that he won't answer questions that might be considered spoilers, so really any questions he does answer as ones that either he's already answered at one point or another, or he's clarifying something stated because some people either misunderstood, or missed when reading. Also while we have seen answers like this recently on social media and Reddit, a couple years from now, new readers might have similar questions after their first read through and won't have easy access to those twitter and reddit posts.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

On the other hand ... did we really get new info in previous Q&A's, or was I just not paying that much attention to twitter back then?

The last one did have a couple things, like it confirmed that the TFG would not heal injuries, the fact that Grace could in fact learn Magic if she tried really, really hard, it's not confirmed whether Grace's new ability to resize her clothes is magic or an unlocked Uryuom ability, if it was magic, Tedd would have been able to tell right? And even if it was old magic he should have "seen" it. Though based on the last few panels, maybe Grace should be able to use the watches now?

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think it really matters to us, Dan's really made it known that he won't answer questions that might be considered spoilers, so really any questions he does answer as ones that either he's already answered at one point or another, or he's clarifying something stated because some people either misunderstood, or missed when reading. Also while we have seen answers like this recently on social media and Reddit, a couple years from now, new readers might have similar questions after their first read through and won't have easy access to those twitter and reddit posts.

I'm not saying questions like this shouldn't be answered. I just hoped I will get some new info as well. Or at least something I missed :)

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The last one did have a couple things, like it confirmed that the TFG would not heal injuries, the fact that Grace could in fact learn Magic if she tried really, really hard,

See? Last Q&A Dan also didn't wanted to include any spoilers, and yet he provided new info. I would say this is the category of something which he planned to have obvious from story but didn't find any good place to put it in.

it's not confirmed whether Grace's new ability to resize her clothes is magic or an unlocked Uryuom ability, if it was magic, Tedd would have been able to tell right?

I'm not sure if there is really any difference. Uryuom abilities were always technically magic. However, the fact it first happened just after reset definitely says something. ... maybe there USED to be difference, due to Will of Magic blocking Uryuoms, but now the difference between Uryuom abilities and magic got even smaller that it was, or totally disappeared? Wait, Grace is still not getting spells ... yet ...

And yes, this would be good candidate on something to be answered, unless it will be explained directly in story while Tedd will be finding that out.

Though based on the last few panels, maybe Grace should be able to use the watches now?

Almost certainly.

As somebody on the autism spectrum, enough so that my parents took me to a psychologist when I was little, who diagnosed me as "bright but very quiet", or in today's parlance, Aspergers, I can see a lot of potential autism-like traits on a number of characters, but the only one I'd feel certain in my judgement on is Susan.  Susan is definitely autistic.  High functioning, yes, but she's definitely on that spectrum. 

Noah and Grace are both part alien, as I understand Noah's character, at least.  Their social issues can be adequately explained by what we know of their childhood, though, so a diagnosis is not feasible.  

Tedd has his/her issues, but autism doesn't seem one of them to me.  There are some traits that could be autism, but s/he seems less likely to be diagnosable than Noah and Grace.

4 hours ago, Wyrd42 said:

Noah and Grace are both part alien, as I understand Noah's character, at least.  Their social issues can be adequately explained by what we know of their childhood, though, so a diagnosis is not feasible.

Also, we don't know enough about what's considered normal for Uryuom to diagnose them.

(And anyway, what's "normal" for mixed species children? Probably not being normal.)

4 hours ago, Wyrd42 said:

Tedd has his/her issues, but autism doesn't seem one of them to me.  There are some traits that could be autism, but s/he seems less likely to be diagnosable than Noah and Grace.

There is thousand of seers on earth ... would that be enough for psychologists to make it diagnosis? :)

I mean, there could be some traits common for all seers. Even non-awakened ones.