• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Q&A / Story Wednesday, Apr 3, 2019

http://egscomics.com/comic/qa8-11

Finally new info!

And not only not-really-surprising answer to the teleportation question, but Dan immediately added the resulting loophole for disarming magic.

Also, yeah, implanting magic crystal into yourself makes all sort of senses. And I suspect that teleporting out someone's internal organs - heart, for example - is also not possible ... (teleportation magic needs LOTS of safeguards to not be OP ... I mean, unless you WANT it OP).

... wait, wasn't Sarah supposed to RESOLVE this "shrunken curvy catgirl nonsense"? ... not that I'm complaining ...

Well, they do appear to be no longer shrunken . . .

Anyway, yes, being able to lock on to only a part of something and teleporting it away is way too dangerous. If something is attached to anything else in a manner in which you would need to "cut" it to separate it, then it should be considered as being part of one and the same object . . .

Just now, ijuin said:

Well, they do appear to be no longer shrunken . . .

Yeah, second panel Sarah is confused that Amanda is still a catgirl despite unshrinking her, which results in her attempting to amp up the decurse spell. And actually Amanda isn't her full height either which makes sense if the catgirl form was meant to be smaller to begin with and then she was further shrunk.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Finally new info!

It's more like an addendum to how magic affects piercings and implants, Dan had already covered how Transformations deal with them(I swore the Q&A page linked in the commentary mentioned piercings but I couldn't see any). It'd make sense the disarming magic might have similar restrictions in terms of what it considers safe to remove.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Some surgical implants are partially exposed.

Would they be affected like piercings?

What about dental fillings?  Hair extensions?  Hair plugs?  Tattoos?  Adamantium claws?

Obviously I wasn't looking hard enough when I was responding to hkmaly's comment, or I would have used this link instead.

In any case, it's probably clear that Magic is intelligent enough to know what can and can't be removed in order to ensure safety.

I'm sure it's possible that someone could get a spell that can remove implants without such safety, but then a person like that is probably evil.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:
14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Finally new info!

It's more like an addendum to how magic affects piercings and implants, Dan had already covered how Transformations deal with them(I swore the Q&A page linked in the commentary mentioned piercings but I couldn't see any). It'd make sense the disarming magic might have similar restrictions in terms of what it considers safe to remove.

... yes, it makes sense teleportation magic has similar restrictions like transformation magic, but it's still new info.

7 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

What about dental fillings?  Hair extensions?  Hair plugs?  Tattoos?  Adamantium claws?

Dental fillings and adamantium claws are obviously implants. I would assume even amalgam dental fillings will count as such, despite them not being really attached to the body in any way (they remain in the tooth simply mechanically by being bigger than the hole).

Hair extensions and hair plugs, meanwhile, doesn't sound like being inside, but possibly count in same category as piercing.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

In any case, it's probably clear that Magic is intelligent enough to know what can and can't be removed in order to ensure safety.

"Safety"? In case of some piercing, removing it could easily be safer - or at least healthier.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

I'm sure it's possible that someone could get a spell that can remove implants without such safety, but then a person like that is probably evil.

Or it may be surgeon. Lot of operations could be done in much safer way if you could just teleport something out of body and something else inside into that place. Including removing implants, or specifically replacing obsolete/worn out implant with new one. And removing stitches and staples after for example bowel surgery by teleportation would be definitely better than opening the patient again.

You need to be VERY specific before you get to something which CANT be used for good. And ever more if you want something which CANT be used for evil. Most stuff is in the overlap.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

"Safety"? In case of some piercing, removing it could easily be safer - or at least healthier.

Piercings, certainly, they're superficial enough that a disarm spell can remove them safely, I was stating that those spells would know the difference between stuff like that, and say a pacemaker, or an artificial joint.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Or it may be surgeon. Lot of operations could be done in much safer way if you could just teleport something out of body and something else inside into that place. Including removing implants, or specifically replacing obsolete/worn out implant with new one. And removing stitches and staples after for example bowel surgery by teleportation would be definitely better than opening the patient again.

You need to be VERY specific before you get to something which CANT be used for good. And ever more if you want something which CANT be used for evil. Most stuff is in the overlap.

In terms of dealing with implants, I'm not an expert but it seems like a complex operation to fit one properly, I don't see it being a simple matter of just teleporting an old implant out and a new one in and it just working, unless the "magic surgeon" had other abilities that let them see inside the body and manipulate things.

22 hours ago, Scotty said:

In terms of dealing with implants, I'm not an expert but it seems like a complex operation to fit one properly, I don't see it being a simple matter of just teleporting an old implant out and a new one in and it just working, unless the "magic surgeon" had other abilities that let them see inside the body and manipulate things.

Yes, they would need other spells as well.

On 4/4/2019 at 6:14 PM, hkmaly said:

Yes, they would need other spells as well.

Or a CT/MRI and a 3D printer, they're already using that combo to make custom-fitted implants in our world....

I'm writing a story with a physician who is also a Healer. She can magically sense, distinguish, and manipulate living tissue. At the moment she's repairing a guy's heart (he was shot) by integrating the blood vessels, and nerve pathways of a slice of muscle taken from his shoulder with the tissue around the exit wound in his heart. (She had a cardiologist stitch the patch in place - having the muscle tissue fully integrate can wait.)

There's a Mage working with her. Not being a Healer and having no medical training beyond having once been a combat medic, all he can do that is directly helpful is shove things around. But he also established a link whereby her Sight - meaning all her senses including her magical senses - are shared with the other physicians, neither of whom is at all magical as far as we know. The cardiologist is utterly amazed at what he can see through this link and what the Healer is doing. (The other doctor regularly works in the paranormal wing of the hospital and is used to this sort of thing.)

She's going  to explain to him that when conventional medicine can fix things well enough and quickly enough, it's much easier, and leaves the magical energy available for other cases. Such as this one, where the guy would have died in seconds without magical intervention. And where she's going to arrange to go directly from the OR to the cafeteria - in a wheelchair, because she won't have the energy to safely walk that far.

3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

She's going  to explain to him that when conventional medicine can fix things well enough and quickly enough, it's much easier, and leaves the magical energy available for other cases. Such as this one, where the guy would have died in seconds without magical intervention. And where she's going to arrange to go directly from the OR to the cafeteria - in a wheelchair, because she won't have the energy to safely walk that far.

Well, there are magic users who rely on their bodies to provide them energy for spells.

There are others which tap to external sources and can just laugh when someone points to them they just used about the same amount of energy as sun radiates in day.

And then there are the ones who consider physical laws just polite suggestions.

There are magical systems where what the caster thinks is true is the major determining factor in how their magic works.  So, if they think a spell takes a lot of energy, but they can draw that energy from a local thunderstorm, or the emotions of a rock concert or cult or orgy, or from ambient heat, then they are able to do so.  At one point Harry Dresden took advantage of the ambient heat thing to freeze wet pavement beneath a pursuer and send them sprawling by casting a fireball into the air.

If someone in such a world believes that a baby's first giggle is more powerful than a hurricane, well.....

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

If someone in such a world believes that a baby's first giggle is more powerful than a hurricane, well.....

Well ... belief is extremely powerful thing. Like, human belief created god(s) who created our whole universe ...

19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well ... belief is extremely powerful thing. Like, human belief created god(s) who created our whole universe ...

Assuming those humans were living in our universe, that sounds like a predestination paradox...

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Assuming those humans were living in our universe, that sounds like a predestination paradox...

No, it's a causality violation. But gods can do things like that.

Even minor deities can be paradoxical:
00001068.jpg

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

No, it's a causality violation. But gods can do things like that.

Even minor deities can be paradoxical:

Or not-really-deities:

00001121.jpg