• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Wednesday, April 17, 2017

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

http://egscomics.com/comic/party-001

Has spring come to Moperville? She's not dressed for January.

I don't recall Dan mentioning that there was going to be a time skip before this, especially if there was going to be a significant one, I thought he was going to get all the post Sister 3 stuff out of the way first. Plus, if the party was so that Elliot could get Ashley introduced to the group and all the magicalness properly, it'd make more sense to get it done ASAP rather than wait months for the weather to warm up.

My guess is that we're seeing another one of Ashley's Stories playing out in which the main character is about to show the men why it's impolite to treat a woman like that.

Also, I've seen this before.

Ashley is cute but doesn't have long legs. She was drawn wearing fishnet sleeves once in a sketchbook, but she doesn't know how to use magic yet (check her hand in the last panel.) My best guess is that the lady is Pandora, the reigning queen of fishnet garments in EGS.

BTW, the hardhats are in short-sleeved tees, so the weather is warm.

And, of course:

3 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Ashley is cute but doesn't have long legs. She was drawn wearing fishnet sleeves once in a sketchbook, but she doesn't know how to use magic yet (check her hand in the last panel.)

This is why I say it's one of Ashley's Stories, Sarah's imagined(well dreamed) herself being a wizard and doing things, Ashley could easily be writing about the things she might do with magic, also those could be Ashley's legs if she's wearing a shorter skirt than she is here.

This story is supposed to be about a party with the main group, it'd make sense if it started off with something like Ashley showing Elliot her stories and segueing from there rather set up some mystery thing

14 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

BTW, the hardhats are in short-sleeved tees, so the weather is warm.

Again another reason to think this is a work of fiction within the story, there hasn't been mention that there was going to be a timeskip yet and Dan's still got other things to cover before a timeskip could be done, Sarah and Adrian's meeting and the return of the Griffons, and Ashley's first foray into Tedd's basement to begin learning to be a wizard, I sure, that this story is going to cover that third part so it'd have to be done in the time between Sister 3 and the Griffon's return, it wouldn't make sense for Elliot to hold off on telling Ashley everything until the weather got warming.

Dan has used the Newspaper comics to do this sort of thing for a long time. Possibly this might be a dream. And if it is a story told by one of the characters, it would be Sarah, the artist/cartoonist.

Also, the sketchbook I was thinking of doesn't show Ashley wearing fishnet sleeves; Goth Elliot is wearing them.

Three other characters with long shapely legs: Vladia, Lavender, and Carol Brown. None of them have been portrayed as spellcasters, though.

My first thought was that it was a reborn "Pandora" (or whatever she'll want to be called now) given the Pandora we know wearing fishnets so much. However, the sparkles in the last panel seem to imply the woman is casting a spell on the guys, which Immortal Laws shouldn't allow Pandora to do unless she's marking them or otherwise "empowering" them.

I then started thinking of others who might wear fishnets, but Goth Elliot wouldn't be likely to cast a spell in those circumstances, and Ashely doesn't know any magic yet. Liz was marked, however, and we don't know what her powers are, so maybe it could be her. (It could also be someone new, but if Dan wants to keep the size of this arc under control, this isn't really the best time to be introducing a new character.)

However, I think Scotty's idea that this is another one of Ashley's fantasies makes much more sense than any of my ideas. Not only does it explain the warm-weather clothing, but also how cliche the situation is. Besides, this seems to be leading to a vindictive use of magic, which Dan usually saves for fantasies and non-canon jokes.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

(It could also be someone new, but if Dan wants to keep the size of this arc under control, this isn't really the best time to be introducing a new character.)

This is The Dan.  The Dan loves new characters, a fact I have commented on before.  However, for some reason I don't think this one is a new person.  My bet is

1. Elliot
  2. Pandora
  3. Liz

In that order.

30 minutes ago, mlooney said:

This is The Dan.  The Dan loves new characters, a fact I have commented on before.  However, for some reason I don't think this one is a new person.  My bet is

1. Elliot
  2. Pandora
  3. Liz

In that order.

And why can't Ashley be in that list?

Consider what's happening in the scene, we got stereotypical construction workers grunting like it's nobody's business and suddenly going nuts over a good looking woman walking by, even in the commentary Dan said he was going for "cliche and stereotypical as all heck", so the only reason he'd do that is if it wasn't a real situation, IE: a dream or fantasy, and a similar instance where the start of a scene has stereotypical men grunting was in Goonmanji 2 where we have Ashley showing off one of her stories to Liz. While Goonmanji 2 itself is not a canon story, Dan did make an effort to maintain that everyone involved did not have their characters altered for the purpose of the story, aside from being aware that they were in a non canon situation, so Ashley being known to write fiction about men being taught a lesson about bad behaviour and such would be canon.

Also good evidence that it's not Pandora:

I'd seriously laugh if Dan eventually says "every time someone guesses that a new or teased character might be Pandora, I push back Pandora's reappearance by a storyline"

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't recall Dan mentioning that there was going to be a time skip before this, especially if there was going to be a significant one, I thought he was going to get all the post Sister 3 stuff out of the way first. Plus, if the party was so that Elliot could get Ashley introduced to the group and all the magicalness properly, it'd make more sense to get it done ASAP rather than wait months for the weather to warm up.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

Again another reason to think this is a work of fiction within the story, there hasn't been mention that there was going to be a timeskip yet and Dan's still got other things to cover before a timeskip could be done, Sarah and Adrian's meeting and the return of the Griffons, and Ashley's first foray into Tedd's basement to begin learning to be a wizard, I sure, that this story is going to cover that third part so it'd have to be done in the time between Sister 3 and the Griffon's return, it wouldn't make sense for Elliot to hold off on telling Ashley everything until the weather got warming.

This would definitely be very bad place for timeskip. In fact, I'm not sure if Dan will do ANY longer timeskip ever, because there seem to be stuff happening all the time, but if he does, definitely not when we have the griffons scheduled.

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

My first thought was that it was a reborn "Pandora" (or whatever she'll want to be called now) given the Pandora we know wearing fishnets so much. However, the sparkles in the last panel seem to imply the woman is casting a spell on the guys, which Immortal Laws shouldn't allow Pandora to do unless she's marking them or otherwise "empowering" them.

Yes ; first, Pandora is unlikely to be allowed to cast a spell on them, second, it's unlikely she would need to move fingers to do that.

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I then started thinking of others who might wear fishnets, but Goth Elliot wouldn't be likely to cast a spell in those circumstances, and Ashely doesn't know any magic yet. Liz was marked, however, and we don't know what her powers are, so maybe it could be her. (It could also be someone new, but if Dan wants to keep the size of this arc under control, this isn't really the best time to be introducing a new character.)

However, I think Scotty's idea that this is another one of Ashley's fantasies makes much more sense than any of my ideas. Not only does it explain the warm-weather clothing, but also how cliche the situation is. Besides, this seems to be leading to a vindictive use of magic, which Dan usually saves for fantasies and non-canon jokes.

My first idea was Goth Elliot (or possibly another Elliot form, not like Elliot is limited :)), it could even be cheerleadra which would explain the resistance to cold, but yes, Elliot is unlikely to cast a spell in such circumstances, and actually lacks any long-range spells ...

The idea it's Liz is interesting ; it's true that she's supposed to have some spell related to not pretending, maybe it's spell which actually can be used in case like this without causing a scene? Something like those guys suddenly not paying attention to girls? ... hmmm ... ok, doesn't seem likely.

So, most likely this is another one of Ashley's fantasies, however in such case it's entirely possible it IS Goth Elliot. Despite Pandora's love of fishnets and Tedd's clothes being closest, Elliot is most likely to both wear stuff like this AND appearing in Ash's fantasy.

... unless this is actually related to that girl Ashley had relationship over internet who may or may not be Tedd.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

As we haven't seen the character's face yet, this "Hello Legs" shot may not actually be of any EGS character.

Dan may have hired a model / body double to wear the costume and pose for the establishing legs close-up.

Seriously? Dan doesn't need to hire a model EVER, as Grace can play all characters, including the main ones.

(Note: This actually reminded me Magica De Spell - one story ended with movie crew chasing her and saying that they won't be making movie about Scrooge's first dime but about Magica, the women of thousand faces ... and that it will be cheap as Magica can play all roles.)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Also good evidence that it's not Pandora:

I'd seriously laugh if Dan eventually says "every time someone guesses that a new or teased character might be Pandora, I push back Pandora's reappearance by a storyline"

I suspect that Dan has Pandora's reappearance planned and CANT actually move it. Unless he simply adds another story before that, but even THAT is hard to do in main archive.

Also, seriously, if he would be moving Pandora's reappearance like this we would NEVER see her.

Doesn't mean Dan can't SAY that - as a bluff.

EDIT: Note that we are very likely to see Pandora BEFORE the Lord Tedd story. Which is another of those which will came much later than expected.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

My first idea was Goth Elliot (or possibly another Elliot form, not like Elliot is limited :)), it could even be cheerleadra which would explain the resistance to cold, but yes, Elliot is unlikely to cast a spell in such circumstances, and actually lacks any long-range spells ...

Elliot might go out incognito, but I get the feeling he might enjoy it, knowing that they don't know who he is and such might be a thrill in itself.

The idea it's Liz is interesting ; it's true that she's supposed to have some spell related to not pretending, maybe it's spell which actually can be used in case like this without causing a scene? Something like those guys suddenly not paying attention to girls? ... hmmm ... ok, doesn't seem likely.

There's also the feeling that Liz doesn't seem the type to wear short skirts, yeah she's got a kinda gothy look, but mainly the baggy pants and hoodie type. So I don't see her putting herself in a situation where she'd be getting ogled.

So, most likely this is another one of Ashley's fantasies, however in such case it's entirely possible it IS Goth Elliot. Despite Pandora's love of fishnets and Tedd's clothes being closest, Elliot is most likely to both wear stuff like this AND appearing in Ash's fantasy.

Well we know Elliot's been a feature in Sarah's fantasies even after the breakup, and it's pretty likely he's also a feature in some of Susan's fantasies too, so I wouldn't put it past Ashley to fantasize about Elliot doing things, she probably doesn't know everything Elliot can do yet and so might be making up details along the way.

I suppose she could be Susan just beginning to summon a hammer or three, but the only short skirt I could see Susan actually wearing would be a Star Trek Original Series uniform.

I don't buy this as one of Sarah's fantasies as I think she would kind of like to make some men act like idiots because of her bod.

14 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Turning them into women isn't empowering?

On 4/17/2019 at 4:20 AM, Tom Sewell said:

Story Wednesday, April 17, 2017

A time question?

It's all relative.

This is a simple time dilation problem that is normally pre-corrected in GPS satellites.

Just because there is no time travel IN the comic, that does not prevent the comic itself from moving through time.

And the only way you can make the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs is if you shoot first.

WHAT DO WE WANT? - TIME MACHINE!
WHEN DO WE WANT IT? - Any time will be ok.  We can take care of the "When" details once we get it.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Posted before I was finished writing

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

There's also the feeling that Liz doesn't seem the type to wear short skirts, yeah she's got a kinda gothy look, but mainly the baggy pants and hoodie type. So I don't see her putting herself in a situation where she'd be getting ogled.

Good point. We never say Liz in this kind of clothes.

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

Elliot might go out incognito, but I get the feeling he might enjoy it, knowing that they don't know who he is and such might be a thrill in itself.

19 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I don't buy this as one of Sarah's fantasies as I think she would kind of like to make some men act like idiots because of her bod.

Good point. Neither Elliot while transformed nor Sarah are likely to be annoyed by this kind of attention. Now, Ashley obviously, Susan sure, Catalina definitely ...

19 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I suppose she could be Susan just beginning to summon a hammer or three, but the only short skirt I could see Susan actually wearing would be a Star Trek Original Series uniform.

And probably only inside. With Elliot.

17 hours ago, ijuin said:
On 4/17/2019 at 5:02 PM, ChronosCat said:

Turning them into women isn't empowering?

... old Pandora could convince herself that. Young Pandora probably wouldn't be able to bend rules this way.