• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Friday, April 19, 2019

Canon EGS characters in a canon EGS comic are writing unauthorized fantasy EGS fanfiction?

Someone needs to let Prof Brian Greene know that he can stop research on String Theory.
The Multiverse is alive and well in Dan's head.

7 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Canon EGS characters in a canon EGS comic are writing unauthorized fantasy EGS fanfiction?

How about fanfiction written by Ashley and illustrated by Sarah? 

33 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

But we already know that Dan is Sarah's creation, so if Sarah is illustrating what Ashley writes that would mean that...

Are we the characters in their comics?

I still get cookies for guessing this was Ashley and a story, I did think that she was either writing this or showing it to someone (like Elliot), but the last panel shows that she's just reading it and she looks to be alone. Her expression in that panel fits with what Dan established in Goonmanji 2 about Ashley being worried about going mad with power, this could very well be Ashley looking back on her stories and thinking "I might actually be able to do this to people one day" and it's bothering her.

My guess now is Elliot will probably see that it's bothering her and decide the best way to help her stop worrying would be to show her that other people are already in the position where they live with the temptation of using their abilites. Like how Tedd wanted to zap Tony as revenge for bullying him, or how Susan used to hit offensive boys with magic hammers (which Ashley probably already knows given Susan's "Hammer Queen" reputation) or how Nanase would use her spells to pass the time in class (and get new spells in the process).

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

I had that thought as well, it'd be fun if the two wind up co-creating a webcomic or visual novel or something. They'd get along well.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But we already know that Dan is Sarah's creation, so if Sarah is illustrating what Ashley writes that would mean that...

Nah, we're still the readers, Tedd's just managed to create a link between realities and they've created the Dan persona in our reality to keep people from suspecting anything, the twitter, facebook, reddit, etc accounts are all managed by Susan, and currencies between our universe is identical so all patreon income is going to them.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Her expression in that panel fits with what Dan established in Goonmanji 2 about Ashley being worried about going mad with power, this could very well be Ashley looking back on her stories and thinking "I might actually be able to do this to people one day" and it's bothering her.

I was wondering if she had come to the realization that her stories were no longer as interesting as what's happening in the real world, but I think you're probably right.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

but the last panel shows that she's just reading it

I don't see how the last panel shows that. (Note: I'm not disagreeing, or agreeing, with the notion that she's just reading it.) We don't see whether or not her hands are on the keyboard.

I know that more than a few times I've written something, looked at it on the screen, and sighed.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

I still get cookies for guessing this was Ashley and a story, I did think that she was either writing this or showing it to someone (like Elliot), but the last panel shows that she's just reading it and she looks to be alone. Her expression in that panel fits with what Dan established in Goonmanji 2 about Ashley being worried about going mad with power, this could very well be Ashley looking back on her stories and thinking "I might actually be able to do this to people one day" and it's bothering her.

49 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

but the last panel shows that she's just reading it

I don't see how the last panel shows that. (Note: I'm not disagreeing, or agreeing, with the notion that she's just reading it.) We don't see whether or not her hands are on the keyboard.

Regardless of if Ashley is just writing it or not, I would assume it is her story.

7 hours ago, Circe said:

and thinking "I might actually be able to do this to people one day" and it's bothering her.

I was wondering if she had come to the realization that her stories were no longer as interesting as what's happening in the real world, but I think you're probably right.

It might actually be both.

My guess now is Elliot will probably see that it's bothering her and decide the best way to help her stop worrying would be to show her that other people are already in the position where they live with the temptation of using their abilites. Like how Tedd wanted to zap Tony as revenge for bullying him, or how Susan used to hit offensive boys with magic hammers (which Ashley probably already knows given Susan's "Hammer Queen" reputation) or how Nanase would use her spells to pass the time in class (and get new spells in the process).

I don't see other people living with temptation to be any useful for Ashley living with temptation. Seems similar than trying to show to alcoholic that other people are perfectly able to have just one glass of drink ... and such attempts are not likely to end well.

... of course, that doesn't mean Elliot won't try.

I still think that for Ashley, the most important thing is to show her people who are fine with being transformed - especially transformed by HER.

And regarding construction workers: While they are unlikely to drop anything, I suspect there is peer pressure so just few rude construction workers can make whole group behave this rudely.

And regarding stereotype ... well, sure, it is stereotype, but just yesterday I read a newspaper story about shooting range, where the reporter mentioned being cat-called by construction worker with comment that it might served to encourage women to visit the shooting range. Now, I'm not sure if that "story" wasn't just hidden advertisement, but I have no reason to assume the reporter added that bit just to make the story better; more likely it really happened.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I don't see other people living with temptation to be any useful for Ashley living with temptation. Seems similar than trying to show to alcoholic that other people are perfectly able to have just one glass of drink ... and such attempts are not likely to end well.

... of course, that doesn't mean Elliot won't try.

It's not so much showing her that people that live with the temptation, but showing her people who have been living with magic for some time now and are still good people, and that they'll be there to help her.

Going back to the very first panel of the previous comic, has anyone else noticed that the fat guy carrying the beam is actually working and only grunts once, while the guy standing doing nothing grunts twice. Obviously the second guy is the supervisor.

24 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It's not so much showing her that people that live with the temptation, but showing her people who have been living with magic for some time now and are still good people, and that they'll be there to help her.

Again: it may not help much if she is afraid that she PERSONALLY would fail to resist the temptation.

But, well, anything would be better than letting Pandora doing the encouragement. I mean, Hanma wasn't good at calming her, but Pandora will probably be even worse. Fae really need external moral compass.

Forgot to comment this.

15 hours ago, Scotty said:
21 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Nah, we're still the readers, Tedd's just managed to create a link between realities and they've created the Dan persona in our reality to keep people from suspecting anything, the twitter, facebook, reddit, etc accounts are all managed by Susan, and currencies between our universe is identical so all patreon income is going to them.

Even if currencies would be identical, it would only make it worse: didn't you noticed every banknote has unique number? On the other hand, they are not doing it for money: Tedd can pay all of them enough from the lab funding. The patreon income is mostly paying for server hosting and similar stuff, and the rest for DVDs with Star Trek because Susan doesn't want to wait for their own Paramount to catch up.

So my interpretation is that after experiencing real magic, and witnessing Magus threaten to transform Ellen without asking (or so it seemed at first), Ashley is finding it hard to put aside the moral problems with non-consensual transformation and just enjoy the fantasy like she used to.

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

So my interpretation is that after experiencing real magic, and witnessing Magus threaten to transform Ellen without asking (or so it seemed at first), Ashley is finding it hard to put aside the moral problems with non-consensual transformation and just enjoy the fantasy like she used to.

Ashley always thought it'd be wrong to transform people against their will, it was the reason Pandora couldn't mark her with any transformation spell despite Ashley's huge interest in it.

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Ashley always thought it'd be wrong to transform people against their will, it was the reason Pandora couldn't mark her with any transformation spell despite Ashley's huge interest in it.

Yes, but she didn't let it stop her from fantasizing about those transfoormations (at least according to Goonmanji 2). I'm speculating that now that she knows things like in her fantasies really could happen, she's  having a hard time enjoying them as harmless fantasies.

1 minute ago, ChronosCat said:

Yes, but she didn't let it stop her from fantasizing about those transfoormations (at least according to Goonmanji 2). I'm speculating that now that she knows things like in her fantasies really could happen, she's  having a hard time enjoying them as harmless fantasies.

That's pretty much what I said earlier though.

53 minutes ago, Scotty said:

That's pretty much what I said earlier though.

You mean when you said the following?

On 4/19/2019 at 8:46 AM, Scotty said:

Her expression in that panel fits with what Dan established in Goonmanji 2 about Ashley being worried about going mad with power, this could very well be Ashley looking back on her stories and thinking "I might actually be able to do this to people one day" and it's bothering her.

The first time I read your post I focused on the "worrying about going mad with power", which made a good joke for Goonmanji (particularly where she was gaining access to a powerful immortal artifact), but is a bit over the top in the main story, and I doubt is what's on her mind right now. The idea that she might unthinkingly cross a line is a bit more likely, but still doesn't seem to fit her expression & sigh in this strip.

The "I might actually be able to do this to people one day" does fit with a new thought I've had, that it's the fact that she might actually be able to cause transformations that is interfering in her ability to enjoy morally problematic transformation fantasies - not so much because she's afraid she might actually do those things, but just because it's no longer pure fantasy to her. If that's what you were trying to say, I apologize for being redundant.

At any rate, I wasn't even thinking about Ashley's own magic earlier, I was just thinking her experiences in Sister III might have been enough to ruin the fun of her TF fantasies (or at least the non-consensual ones) for her.

26 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

The first time I read your post I focused on the "worrying about going mad with power", which made a good joke for Goonmanji (particularly where she was gaining access to a powerful immortal artifact), but is a bit over the top in the main story, and I doubt is what's on her mind right now. The idea that she might unthinkingly cross a line is a bit more likely, but still doesn't seem to fit her expression & sigh in this strip.

It's the same thing, she can't enjoy them as harmless fantasies because they can potentially become reality. She's had these fantasies for a while and her only outlet had been to write about them. If she was to get any spells that let her do the things she'd fantasized about, just writing about them might not be good enough especially in a spur of the moment situation where someone is bugging her with ethnicity or labels. Kinda like how Susan worried about Catalina going on a hammer spree.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, ijuin said:

Hmm, I wonder what Susan would say about the JJ movies or about Discovery . . .

We know what Susan thinks about the movies, also what Justin thinks of them.

As for Discovery....I'm not sure, I watched the season 2 finale last night, and even I have mixed feelings about it.

I'm not sure what would Susan think about them, but I think she WOULD watch them.

9 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

witnessing Magus threaten to transform Ellen without asking

5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

At any rate, I wasn't even thinking about Ashley's own magic earlier, I was just thinking her experiences in Sister III might have been enough to ruin the fun of her TF fantasies (or at least the non-consensual ones) for her.

While it's true there was this "threatening to transform without asking" bit, I think it was very small part of her experience. More likely it's just that bit about magic being real. And, depending on how much Elliot already told her, magic transforming others specifically being real, crazy convenient and very reachable.

(She would probably need to spend lot of effort to AVOID learning Ellen's spell now ...)

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Note that when Jerry was creating that artefact, he would probably really LIKE some girl going on hammer spree.