• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Wednesday, Apr 24, 2019

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Yes, it was, but my point was to correct your math and your example used an 18th birthday on a Sunday, and that any date in a leap year from March through December will fall two days later in the week than the same date the year before. Remember this; there will be a pop quiz later.

I never once said Grace's 18th birthday was a Sunday....

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

I didn't mean in relation to the previous year, I mean in relation to if it wasn't a leap year, like Grace's birthday was March 9th which was a Saturday,

I was setting Grace's 18th birthday as a known date that's already been set in stone by Dan, in Painted Black Dr Scuiridae said her birthday was Saturday, and Q&A#4 showed that Sister 2 ended Wednesday March 13th so Saturday would be March 9th, we also know based on the dates given in the Q&A that year 1 was not a leap year, I was then extrapolating her 19th, 20th, etc birthdays based on those particular years being leap years or not.

Your initial response was assuming that I was taking the day that Grace's birthday fell on in the first year of the comic and only adding 1 day if year 2 was a leap year, but I wasn't, I was saying that if we expected year 2 to be a leap year but Dan mentions Grace's 19th birthday being on a Sunday, then we'd know it wasn't a leap year, because a leap year would have meant Grace's 19th being Monday.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Susan has shown emotional attraction to Elliot but not really more than sensual attraction to Catalina. The only other person she may have demonstrated both toward is Justin. The attractions that Elliot and Susan have for one another but suppress sound like a matched  pair of Chekhov shotguns to me, and as wonderful as Ashley is, she still fits the role of The Transitional Girl uncomfortably well.

At least in canon, Susan has never seen Ashley playing tongue hockey with Elliot like Diane did at the end of So a Date at the Mall.

Remember this moment? If Susan is at the party, we may see another moment something like it. Imagining Elliot with Catalina is safe because Susan knows it can only be a fantasy. But seeing Ashley and Elliot in reality? 

21 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't think Elliot's ever had Tedd over at his place, everytime there's a scene with the two, I've always assumed it was at Tedd's.

At minimum, Tedd was at the Dunkel house on the evening during "Sister" where he (she) wanted to hide from Grace while repairing the TF Gun and ended up zapping Elliot with it.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
  • Arthur J. Arthur may come himself, and bring along his daughter Sybil.

Is it just a wild fan guess, or have we been given any evidence that Sybil is Arthur's daughter? We know that he has a daughter, but I have not seen anything indicating that the daughter is Sybil.

20 minutes ago, ijuin said:

Is it just a wild fan guess, or have we been given any evidence that Sybil is Arthur's daughter?

Arthur said "As my daughter would assure you, I support life I have unintentionally created." Sybil is on hand nearby in the facility, where she could confirm this. I suppose Dan could decide his daughter is someone else, but why?

It's not relevant to my argument, but , Elliot and Ellen did see Sybil with Arthur on TV after the fight with the fire guy outside Salty Crackers.

Just now, ijuin said:

At minimum, Tedd was at the Dunkel house on the evening during "Sister" where he (she) wanted to hide from Grace while repairing the TF Gun and ended up zapping Elliot with it.

oh yeah, true...that meant Tedd took the TFG out of the Verres' household.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I suppose Dan could decide his daughter is someone else, but why?

Because The Dan likes to use new characters when ever possible.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

Because The Dan likes to use new characters when ever possible.

And of course he gives every new character a great name like Some Guy, and right away.

Seriously, Sybil is Arthur's daughter in my headcanon until Dan says otherwise, and I don't think I'm alone.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

oh yeah, true...that meant Tedd took the TFG out of the Verres' household.

And Tedd was going to take the TFG to school to zap Tony. And once Tedd explained that the sex change was going to be just for 24 hours, Elliot wanted it on film

5 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

And Tedd was going to take the TFG to school to zap Tony. And once Tedd explained that the sex change was going to be just for 24 hours, Elliot wanted it on film.

I'd expect Edward to have had some choice words about Tedd taking alien technology out of the house, but as far as I can tell, Tedd got off pretty easy.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

And Tedd was going to take the TFG to school to zap Tony. And once Tedd explained that the sex change was going to be just for 24 hours, Elliot wanted it on film.

I'd expect Edward to have had some choice words about Tedd taking alien technology out of the house, but as far as I can tell, Tedd got off pretty easy.

It's possible that after the whole action in Sister, the detail of Tedd taking alien technology out of the house was forgotten.

18 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Susan has shown emotional attraction to Elliot but not really more than sensual attraction to Catalina. The only other person she may have demonstrated both toward is Justin. The attractions that Elliot and Susan have for one another but suppress sound like a matched  pair of Chekhov shotguns to me, and as wonderful as Ashley is, she still fits the role of The Transitional Girl uncomfortably well.

At least in canon, Susan has never seen Ashley playing tongue hockey with Elliot like Diane did at the end of So a Date at the Mall.

Remember this moment? If Susan is at the party, we may see another moment something like it. Imagining Elliot with Catalina is safe because Susan knows it can only be a fantasy. But seeing Ashley and Elliot in reality? 

In traditional media, sure. But Susan's sexuality is autobiographical and EGS is full of nontraditional relationships. Therefore, instead of Ashley's relationship with Elliot breaking to make place for classical pair of Susan and Elliot, we may get something more interesting, like three person relationship. (And it may not be only three person relationship we get.)

Also, I think Susan would totally like the relationship with her, Elliot and Catalina. It won't happen because Catalina has someone else AND because Elliot doesn't like Catalina that way, but Susan would be fine with it.

7 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

but Susan would be fine with it.

Maybe eventually, but the defining moment in Susan's life was discovering her father cheating on her mother. Think how different Susan would be if her mother, her father, and that mysterious blonde had made an open threesome.

I don't think it's a good idea to overwhelm Ashley with too much magic at this party.  She's already a bit freaked out.  Let her get to know everyone as people first, maybe start a few friendships, and mention that everyone there knows about magic so if she wants to tak about it with any of them, it's okay.  Maybe a couple of non-threatenng bits of harmless magic, like Tedd switching between boy and girl, or Susan letting little Nase and San charm her with their adorableness.  I'm not even sure now would be the time to get into Ellen's origin story and Tedd's magitech.  Let Ashley get used to this stuff in a non-threatening way first, and once she's calmed down and relaxed, then start introducing other, weirder stuff.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I don't think it's a good idea to overwhelm Ashley with too much magic at this party.  She's already a bit freaked out.  Let her get to know everyone as people first, maybe start a few friendships, and mention that everyone there knows about magic so if she wants to tak about it with any of them, it's okay.  Maybe a couple of non-threatenng bits of harmless magic, like Tedd switching between boy and girl, or Susan letting little Nase and San charm her with their adorableness.

I think some catgirl form might be sufficiently non-threatening even if you offer it to Ashley. Gender change, well ... everyone accepted gender change on first party, but frankly, we are not sure if Ashley would feel like switching to men. Her fantasies mostly involves men switching to women, not the other way.

And yes, Susan's fairies. Definitely good idea. Unless she unsummons them. Except she may not be there, so we will need to manage with Nanase's fairy and Fox.

Wait. Unless Susan decides to explore range of her fairy spell and would actually be present as fairy. I mean, it would provide her plausible deniability for not talking ... ok, ok, it is rather crazy idea but don't tell me I'm only one finding it interesting.

9 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I'm not even sure now would be the time to get into Ellen's origin story and Tedd's magitech.  Let Ashley get used to this stuff in a non-threatening way first, and once she's calmed down and relaxed, then start introducing other, weirder stuff.

I'm pretty sure Edward and Arthur Arthur would agree it's NOT good time for showing her Tedd's magitech.

I'm less sure Tedd would care.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

however learning Grace's origin story wouldn't be a wise choice.

... or THAT. Grace's origin is neither safe from the "part space alien" angle nor from the "nonthreatening" angle (Damien).

Also, better not talking about vampires yet.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also, better not talking about vampires yet.

Ashley, pretty much knows about that as well, she doesn't yet know that Susan was involved in that, but it might not take much to figure out.

Yes, but unless she actually asks, it would be better to not remind her that, IMHO.

It's one think if she knows there are vampires. It's another if she is told that the half-immortal wizard they were talking about teaches Nanase, Justin, Grace and Ellen, is Tedd's godfather and Diane's father and Susan's ... ancestor. And if they mention Susan actually fought those vampires, she might start to fear SHE may end up needing to fight vampires. Which, while possible, isn't exactly the correct angle if they want to show her how magic can be fun and nonthreatening.

Of course, it IS also possible she SAW some videos with Susan fighting those vampires or read about it (like Sarah did), in which case it's better to talk about it and try to calm her down. But, like, not ideal discussion topic for party.

16 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I'm not even sure now would be the time to get into Ellen's origin story and Tedd's magitech. 

15 hours ago, Scotty said:

In very, very broad strokes, but I'm sure they'll be filling in at least some details eventually.  I just don't think she'll be ready to hear more about it yet.  As it is, I'm betting her first meeting with Ellen when she knows about her origin will be very weird for both of them.  (Does Ellen know that Ashley knows as much as she does know?  Was she completely aware of everything?  I need to go re-read....)

15 hours ago, Scotty said:

however learning Grace's origin story wouldn't be a wise choice.

Agreed.  They definitely don't need to get into the secret-lab-Damien-violence aspects.  I'm not even sure she needs to know Grace is part space alien yet, just that she's a strong magic user.  Grace will probably find it awkward and stressful to continuously lie by omission, though.

7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think some catgirl form might be sufficiently non-threatening even if you offer it to Ashley. Gender change, well ... everyone accepted gender change on first party, but frankly, we are not sure if Ashley would feel like switching to men. Her fantasies mostly involves men switching to women, not the other way.

She may or may not get far enough along to want to experience magic herself, Ellen's beam or Tedd's FV5 wand or whatever.  But seeing Tedd switch back and forth casually during the party would be pretty minor.  In her state, even that may freak her out at first, but hopefully with enough liking it to counter that.  She did say the more contrast the better for her, though....

And yes, Susan's fairies. Definitely good idea. Unless she unsummons them. Except she may not be there, so we will need to manage with Nanase's fairy and Fox.

Yeah, Nanase's fairydoll spell is another fairly benign one, as long as she doesn't get into details like Fae Punch and feeling their pain when they're destroyed.

I'm pretty sure Edward and Arthur Arthur would agree it's NOT good time for showing her Tedd's magitech.

Actually, given that Arthur specifically asked that Ashley study magic under Tedd, I would be very surprised if he didn't assume she'll be exposed to Tedd's magitech in the process.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's one thin[g] if she knows there are vampires. It's another if she is told that the half-immortal wizard they were talking about teaches Nanase, Justin, Grace and Ellen, is Tedd's godfather and Diane's father and Susan's ... ancestor.

Actually, finding out that a wizard does something so mundane as teach history might be reassuring.  It's all in the presentation, I suspect.

Basically, I feel this party should be much more about Ashley getting to know Elliot's friends and becoming comfortable talking with them in general.  Talking about magic in particular can wait, and is likely less threatening done one-on-one at a later time.  A little bit of active magic, just to make it clear that they all know about magic and would be comfortable talking abot it, but definitely *not* making magic the center of attention.  Unless Ashley really wants to get into it now, of course, and even then better to keep to relatively safe stuff.

Although, if she's really fearful, mentioning Nanase's Guardian form might be reassuring.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Grace will probably find it awkward and stressful to continuously lie by omission, though.

It is known that Grace does have trouble holding back once she gets going. And her experience with Sam has got her itching to tell everyone things.

Yeah, Nanase's fairydoll spell is another fairly benign one, as long as she doesn't get into details like Fae Punch and feeling their pain when they're destroyed.

Ashley has seen Nanase's fairy doll, just not in action, so there'd still be some coolness value in Nanase showing it off. I think Ashley would get a kick out of the glitter wings as long as Nanase didn't mention the first(and only?) time she used it.

Actually, given that Arthur specifically asked that Ashley study magic under Tedd, I would be very surprised if he didn't assume she'll be exposed to Tedd's magitech in the process.

I'm pretty certain that Athur expects Tedd to use all their tools in conduction research, which would include likely include the TFG, the glove (it still has a function despite the majority of the work is done by Tedd) and the watches.

Actually, aside from the TFG, everything else that Tedd's made probably isn't really tech anymore, the glove was considered magitech because Tedd thought it alone allowed someone with no magic potential to create wands, and the watches really only served as a catalyst, too small to hold energy, but Tedd could probably do the same with a stone, the button on the watch would just give tactile feedback while the user casts the spell, a stone could probably be "programmed" so that the person just needed to touch it to activate.  The gauntlet is a complex wand, it might be considered magitech if it had parts that required certain configurations to be able to do the various functions. Though considering Pandora's statement that Tedd is a "Well of power", and especially considering Tedd was wrong about how the glove worked, the gauntlet might not be absorbing bits of energy from him at a time, but amplifying his energy, his Seer ability lets him see how magic spells work, but if that ability was amplified in some way, seeing the "whale" meant he was seeing much deeper into the fabric of magic.

Actually, finding out that a wizard does something so mundane as teach history might be reassuring.  It's all in the presentation, I suspect.

As long as they didn't go into the details of Abraham's attack at MSHS.

2 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Although, if she's really fearful, mentioning Nanase's Guardian form might be reassuring.

That might risk mentioning not only Abraham's attack (how Nanase first got the form) but Not_Tengu's attack (when she got her magic back and used the form).

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
12 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Grace will probably find it awkward and stressful to continuously lie by omission, though.

It is known that Grace does have trouble holding back once she gets going. And her experience with Sam has got her itching to tell everyone things.

That "trouble holding back" may be understatement. She really hates all that lying.

20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She may or may not get far enough along to want to experience magic herself, Ellen's beam or Tedd's FV5 wand or whatever.  But seeing Tedd switch back and forth casually during the party would be pretty minor.  In her state, even that may freak her out at first, but hopefully with enough liking it to counter that.  She did say the more contrast the better for her, though....

Of course seeing others would be minor. She already saw Elliot multiple times.

Hmmm ... Ellen's beam would be double-edged. On one hand, it apparently feels good and it's quite safe kind of transformation (if you can turn it off). On the other, if she fears losing control, having spell cast on her which lowers inhibitions may be counterproductive ...

Ashley has seen Nanase's fairy doll, just not in action, so there'd still be some coolness value in Nanase showing it off. I think Ashley would get a kick out of the glitter wings as long as Nanase didn't mention the first(and only?) time she used it.

There is coolness value even if she already saw it. And yes, the glitter would be fun.

Nanase certainly used it more times. It's not like she just get that spell. I don't remember she used it any other time on-panel, but she could easily play with it a lot off-panel. Especially when she tried to use her magic as much as she could to get more spells.

I'm pretty certain that Athur expects Tedd to use all their tools in conduction research, which would include likely include the TFG, the glove (it still has a function despite the majority of the work is done by Tedd) and the watches.

In his research, yes. In teaching Ashley, no. And she definitely doesn't need to know the difference between wand and uryuom technology.

Actually, aside from the TFG, everything else that Tedd's made probably isn't really tech anymore, the glove was considered magitech because Tedd thought it alone allowed someone with no magic potential to create wands, and the watches really only served as a catalyst, too small to hold energy, but Tedd could probably do the same with a stone, the button on the watch would just give tactile feedback while the user casts the spell, a stone could probably be "programmed" so that the person just needed to touch it to activate.  The gauntlet is a complex wand, it might be considered magitech if it had parts that required certain configurations to be able to do the various functions. Though considering Pandora's statement that Tedd is a "Well of power", and especially considering Tedd was wrong about how the glove worked, the gauntlet might not be absorbing bits of energy from him at a time, but amplifying his energy, his Seer ability lets him see how magic spells work, but if that ability was amplified in some way, seeing the "whale" meant he was seeing much deeper into the fabric of magic.

I would assume even the glove is magitech. It doesn't work by itself, but the functionality it has may still require some uryuom technology. The gauntlet definitely does.

And yes ... Tedd is well of power. His understanding of how the gauntlet works is unlikely to be complete. On the other hand, he would have intuitive understanding about how it works, so the difference may not be as big ...

As long as they didn't go into the details of Abraham's attack at MSHS.

That might risk mentioning not only Abraham's attack (how Nanase first got the form) but Not_Tengu's attack (when she got her magic back and used the form).

Yeah. And Nanase can't SHOW the form to her ... so it may not be so much reassuring.

Generally it's hard to say how much of their history would be reassuring and when it starts to scare her more. On the other hand, she personally experience quite bad parts, so while the existing history have quite scary moments, it may be better than what she imagines.

This really needs to be done carefully. Including watching her reactions.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Nanase certainly used it more times. It's not like she just get that spell. I don't remember she used it any other time on-panel, but she could easily play with it a lot off-panel. Especially when she tried to use her magic as much as she could to get more spells.

It's tough to say whether she used the glitter wings after Painted Black or not, she did convey disappointment that she didn't look badass using it. The marble trick and fae punch are more useful though.

52 minutes ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's tough to say whether she used the glitter wings after Painted Black or not, she did convey disappointment that she didn't look badass using it. The marble trick and fae punch are more useful though.

Let me repeat: Especially when she tried to use her magic as much as she could to get more spells.

Also, if Ellen liked it, I don't think Nanase would care she doesn't look badass doing that.

That said, it is possible Painted Black was last time she used it. It still doesn't make it only time.

Let me repeat: Especially when she tried to use her magic as much as she could to get more spells.

I think just using the fairy doll spell itself frequently (which she did) would be enough to get new fairy abilities, using fae spells probably won't count towards it. Yeah Nanase's consciousness is inhabiting the doll, but I feel using fae spells wouldn't affect her magic energy beyond the creation of the doll, much like Fox takes some of Nanase's energy on creation, but Fox using spells wouldn't count towards Nanase getting new spells.

There is also the point that IF Nanase got new fae spells by using fae spells, her martial arts training would make her more inclined to to do fae-shadow boxing, heck she's been to the Dunkel's house so it'd be easy to go there and use Elliot's/Ellen's punching bag.

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think just using the fairy doll spell itself frequently (which she did) would be enough to get new fairy abilities, using fae spells probably won't count towards it. Yeah Nanase's consciousness is inhabiting the doll, but I feel using fae spells wouldn't affect her magic energy beyond the creation of the doll, much like Fox takes some of Nanase's energy on creation, but Fox using spells wouldn't count towards Nanase getting new spells.

I think that using the glitter WOULD count as more magic - not in terms of training magic capacity, but in terms of getting more spells. Maybe even Fox's spells would count.

Of course, how it really works is not important. Important is if NANASE though casting glitter would help.

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

There is also the point that IF Nanase got new fae spells by using fae spells, her martial arts training would make her more inclined to to do fae-shadow boxing, heck she's been to the Dunkel's house so it'd be easy to go there and use Elliot's/Ellen's punching bag.

Only problem with this is she got the Fae punch at same time as the hair spell (see commentary), meaning she didn't had it yet.