• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story, Wednesday, May 1, 2018

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

If it was just the green hair, it'd be easy to assume burnout, but her eye colour also changed, which we never saw happen to Nanase (or Ellen after the copy spell team-up) so there was definitely something more to what happened to her.

We may not have seen it, but just about every time it was discussed by someone knowledgeable, they mentioned hair and eye color as potentially changing magically.  I've been waiting for it to be eye instead of hair on someone for a while now!

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

We may not have seen it, but just about every time it was discussed by someone knowledgeable, they mentioned hair and eye color as potentially changing magically.  I've been waiting for it to be eye instead of hair on someone for a while now!

Oh crap yeah, Cranium did mention spontaneous eye colour change is also possible, that part slipped my mind.

Still I don't believe this is related to burnout, the obvious reason being that it wasn't mentioned as being burnout, but the other reason is, she used the form on Friday, and needed to use a watch to hide the colour for school, a burnout "should" have only lasted a day which meant she'd be back to her original colour by Monday. If it was a significan burnout like what happened to Nanase, I'd think that would have also been mentioned.

I think this is more along the line of what happen to Susan when she awakened, where her hair colour was permanently changed. I dunno if this means that Ellen had a second awakening, I mean, she was infused with power from an ancient artifact that was created (the crystal part at least) with an older system of magic so is it possible that the "dragon" form is also from that system and not from the current one?

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

I think this is more along the line of what happen to Susan when she awakened, where her hair colour was permanently changed. I dunno if this means that Ellen had a second awakening, I mean, she was infused with power from an ancient artifact that was created (the crystal part at least) with an older system of magic so is it possible that the "dragon" form is also from that system and not from the current one?

I think Ellen was right in her conclusion jumping and the power she was infused with was power originating in the dragon scale, captured in the crystal formation. It's possible that such crystals form naturally around dragon scales and that the "artifact" was no more created than piece of amber.

That of course doesn't change the fact that dragon magic may easily be from older system of magic. The fact Arthur never heart about true dragons suggest that they went extinct due one of previous magic changes ... I mean, we saw one behind Pandora and that was CURRENT system of magic already (well ... the one from start of EGS), but it's possible they lost magic and that's why they didn't survived - because without magic, they were not the kind of extreme danger like in Magus's world.

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think Ellen was right in her conclusion jumping and the power she was infused with was power originating in the dragon scale, captured in the crystal formation. It's possible that such crystals form naturally around dragon scales and that the "artifact" was no more created than piece of amber.

The scale could also have been intentionally encased in crystal in order to harness it's power, especially if it's meant to be the core of a magical construct, maybe it's construction and use lead to a system change, maybe it was stolen from the other side of the world ages ago and forgotten.

Lord Tedd being in possession of a dewitchery diamond does present a number of questions, one of which is had Lord Tedd prevented a system change like our Tedd did, or had Lord Tedd managed to maintain magic secrecy. The later would seem likely because of the fact that the dewitchery diamond seemed to still function as such and if the former was true, the nature of the magic change prevention would have to be such that restrictions on old systems weren't lifted and the scale's power remained inert.

58 minutes ago, Scotty said:

The scale could also have been intentionally encased in crystal in order to harness it's power, especially if it's meant to be the core of a magical construct, maybe it's construction and use lead to a system change, maybe it was stolen from the other side of the world ages ago and forgotten.

Yes, that's also possible. While construction of single object like that would be unlikely to cause change, if someone started mass-producing artefacts based on dragon scales (there are likely hundreds of scales on single dragon) it could. This may be last one left.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Lord Tedd being in possession of a dewitchery diamond does present a number of questions, one of which is had Lord Tedd prevented a system change like our Tedd did, or had Lord Tedd managed to maintain magic secrecy.

I think that in Lord Tedd's universe, magic reset happened ... and resulted in magic war between thousand seers.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

The later would seem likely because of the fact that the dewitchery diamond seemed to still function as such and if the former was true, the nature of the magic change prevention would have to be such that restrictions on old systems weren't lifted and the scale's power remained inert.

Nioi mentioned she had been putting off helping Kaoli, implying it happened some time ago, possibly years ... possibly BEFORE the reset. Also possibly before she started working for Lord Tedd.

Alternatively ... well, the reset informed thousand seers, some of them immediately shared information with lot of people ... it postponed the "small" reset in preparation of making magic public just by few months.

Note that Magus mentioned modifying the diamond effect - I don't think it would break on touch just because scale's power is no longer inert, I think it was Magus's modification triggering it. Although both are possible. And, in fact, we can't be sure Nioi didn't shattered the diamond as well.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That of course doesn't change the fact that dragon magic may easily be from older system of magic. The fact Arthur never heart about true dragons suggest that they went extinct due one of previous magic changes ... I mean, we saw one behind Pandora and that was CURRENT system of magic already (well ... the one from start of EGS), but it's possible they lost magic and that's why they didn't survived - because without magic, they were not the kind of extreme danger like in Magus's world.

In the commentary for the first comic you linked, Dan says "I guess it's POSSIBLE some of these panels from Pandora's past shouldn't be taken literally...?" So that implies that there weren't really dragons in the main universe in Blaike's day. (I have to admit I was disappointment by this.)

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

In the commentary for the first comic you linked, Dan says "I guess it's POSSIBLE some of these panels from Pandora's past shouldn't be taken literally...?" So that implies that there weren't really dragons in the main universe in Blaike's day. (I have to admit I was disappointment by this.)

Dan also, from time to time, makes less or more obvious attempts to misdirect us in comments. If he would just say "This means these panels shouldn't be taken literally", it would be Word of God and would need to be considered true. Or, he could specifically said "This dragon was illusion made by Pandora". However, "I guess it's possible" is obvious opening to sometimes later saying "ok, so it was literal after all".

Alternatively, he's really not sure if he can make consistent that dragons were existing at that point.

Obviously, any dragon question now would be spoiler, but maybe sometimes later we can ask him to clarify that.

Note also that there is the question of griffins: they DO use magic on this half of world and they make explicit point they are using same magic, yet the magic RULES are obviously different between those halves. Now, how does THAT work? And is there any connection to dragons there? Are dragons on THEIR half of world and do they have magic? .... waaaait, with some luck, such question can be answered in comics itself when griffins return.

Another note: dragons might (and should) count under the "magic can't change for species with magic interwoven into their very nature". However, that could easily mean that dragons won't lose ability to fly or breathe fire, just like Uryuoms can't lose their ability to shapeshift, BUT just like Uryuoms lost ability to do basically any other magic, dragon magic could've been divided from normal magic in attempt to limit their powers or limit powers of humans using artifacts made from dragons. Dragons might still be annoyed by this enough to stop visiting, or weakened enough to be later driven extinct (or both, meaning the ones which stayed went extinct).

To return to Ellen: I would definitely assume that human getting dragon magic was explicitly blocked in magic system before the change to make magic public.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

To return to Ellen: I would definitely assume that human getting dragon magic was explicitly blocked in magic system before the change to make magic public.

Hmm, well the Uryuom-golem did say "Humans can not (or must not) have!" in response to sensing the new energy in Ellen.

5 hours ago, ijuin said:
9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Hmm, well the Uryuom-golem did say "Humans can not (or must not) have!" in response to sensing the new energy in Ellen.

Close but no: He said "Humans cannon have" when SEEING THE ORIGIN (the scale).

And note that it was Golem from time BEFORE some magic reset who likely didn't understood how the magic reset works. It's quite likely dragon scales were working as sources of magic in HIS time, but we can't be sure they worked same way or that it was THAT reset which made them useless.