• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Monday, May 6, 2018

Hmm...if Ashley is currently "the definition of average" in terms of power level, and she absorbed power from the "diamond" shards, does that mean that before that point she was significantly below average?  Is this the magical equivalent of Flowers For Algernon (except hopefully without the downer ending)?

As for dragon-specific elements to her magic, we really don't know for sure yet, do we?  We may have to wait until she can at least, say, cast a spell or two.

Revenge on Bad Tom?  From the girl who's so innately good it kept Pandora from marking her?  She may fantasize about turning sexist men into women, but she knows actually doing so would be a terrible thing to do, and she's too nice to actually do something like that without permission.  Now, can we think of ways for her to get Bad Tom to voluntarily agree to be turned into a woman?  Fanficcers, start your laptops!

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I was quoting Arthur Arthur. I think he has quite good idea how her power compares to others.

Not like he's ever made a mistake.

Noone is more aware about it that him just now.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Both Dan's commentary links and Shiveapedia have failed me. :darn_it_alll: 

Fixed.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

but wasn't quite curious enough to ask or search through the archives for it.

That was a mistake.

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm...if Ashley is currently "the definition of average" in terms of power level, and she absorbed power from the "diamond" shards, does that mean that before that point she was significantly below average?

Not necessary THAT much significantly. Remember that half of people are below average. (Well, half of people are below MEDIAN, but usually it's close.)

As for dragon-specific elements to her magic, we really don't know for sure yet, do we?  We may have to wait until she can at least, say, cast a spell or two.

Actually longer. We need to wait until she awakens and gets some OWN spell. Because she will likely learn some other spell, probably FV5, before that.

Revenge on Bad Tom?  From the girl who's so innately good it kept Pandora from marking her?  She may fantasize about turning sexist men into women, but she knows actually doing so would be a terrible thing to do, and she's too nice to actually do something like that without permission.

Yeah ... she will have enough power for that but she's extremely unlikely to do it. Despite him deserving it (obviously, for limited time, not permanently). Specifically, he deserves to be transformed to girl and Rich hitting on him.

Now, can we think of ways for her to get Bad Tom to voluntarily agree to be turned into a woman?

Best I can think of would be sort of dare, and I'm not sure Ashley would count it as volunteering. Someone more experienced is needed.

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

Hmm...if Ashley is currently "the definition of average" in terms of power level, and she absorbed power from the "diamond" shards, does that mean that before that point she was significantly below average?  Is this the magical equivalent of Flowers For Algernon (except hopefully without the downer ending)?

I'm thinking he meant she should have been average period, but either they underestimated what should have been considered average, or the power she absorbed made it so that even an average person could be a wizard.

Just now, CritterKeeper said:

Revenge on Bad Tom?  From the girl who's so innately good it kept Pandora from marking her?  She may fantasize about turning sexist men into women, but she knows actually doing so would be a terrible thing to do, and she's too nice to actually do something like that without permission.  Now, can we think of ways for her to get Bad Tom to voluntarily agree to be turned into a woman?  Fanficcers, start your laptops!

It's not canon, but Ashley did get to see Bad Tom turned female, twice even. I suspect though, that Ashley was satisfied with Susan having knocked him down a few pegs.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:
2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

but wasn't quite curious enough to ask or search through the archives for it.

That was a mistake.

Not searching through the archives (beyond the links in the commentary and on Ashley's page on Shivepedia) was a conscious decision to conserve my precious time, and based on what I knew then I still consider it the right choice.

Not asking here was an oversight, but in my defense I have a lot on my mind right now.

At any rate, it all worked out in the end. (BTW, thanks for the link.) 

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I remembered that Kevin called Ashley weak; I had forgotten that Arthur had said she was average for a non-wizard. I had also forgotten that Arthur suspected that her becoming a wizard was the result of her absorbing power from the diamond; in fact since reading Monday's comic I'd been wondering when it had been established that Ashely absorbed power from the Diamond (the comic from this scene Dan links obviously wasn't it), but wasn't quite curious enough to ask or search through the archives for it.

I figure that Ashley had been a potential wizard, but the infusion from the Diamond managed to bypass the usual "must build mana reserve first" requirement for Awakening.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:
5 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I remembered that Kevin called Ashley weak; I had forgotten that Arthur had said she was average for a non-wizard. I had also forgotten that Arthur suspected that her becoming a wizard was the result of her absorbing power from the diamond; in fact since reading Monday's comic I'd been wondering when it had been established that Ashely absorbed power from the Diamond (the comic from this scene Dan links obviously wasn't it), but wasn't quite curious enough to ask or search through the archives for it.

I figure that Ashley had been a potential wizard, but the infusion from the Diamond managed to bypass the usual "must build mana reserve first" requirement for Awakening.

I think that Ashley had the wizard talent, but it was hidden by her low power so deep even Pandora couldn't find it, similarly how Sarah's talent for whatever kind of magic her spell is was hidden so deep Jerry didn't find it. But the infusion from the Diamond somehow bring it to front.

Although note that it did NOT awakened her and she still needs to build her mana reserve.

Just little reminder:

On 5/6/2019 at 10:28 AM, hkmaly said:
On 5/6/2019 at 9:01 AM, ijuin said:

Hmm, Nanase has given up the two-tone hair look for now, and also has gone for more length . . .

And quite recently.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:01 AM, ijuin said:

of course we know that she can change her color and style almost any way she wants any time

... and she definitely did, because hair doesn't grow that fast. That must be over 20cm in what, week?

... because Dan addressed it on twitter. Well ... sort of addressed it:

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Just little reminder:

... because Dan addressed it on twitter. Well ... sort of addressed it:

Huh.  Maybe she *is* building up reserve power via her hair again.

Huh.  Maybe she *is* building up reserve power via her hair again.

I don't want to read too much into that tweet though, Dan has mentioned (in commentary) before that he was "fiendishly plotting to have her hair be fully red again at some point", this is likely just that fiendish plot coming to fruition, though I am awaiting the Revenge of the Ponytail as seen by my response to them on twitter. ;)