• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Monday, May 6, 2018

Recommended Posts

Hmm, Nanase has given up the two-tone hair look for now, and also has gone for more length . . . of course we know that she can change her color and style almost any way she wants any time, but as Elliot said to Greg in http://egscomics.com/comic/sister3-304, deliberate changes to one's own appearance are symbolic of character development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is Nanase trying to mimic superman by wearing clothes in unusual order? Did she tried the clothes swapping spell and failed?

... why is Grace so nervous?

... did Ellen actually explained the dragon sisters before?

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

Hmm, Nanase has given up the two-tone hair look for now, and also has gone for more length . . .

And quite recently.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

of course we know that she can change her color and style almost any way she wants any time

... and she definitely did, because hair doesn't grow that fast. That must be over 20cm in what, week?

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

but as Elliot said to Greg in http://egscomics.com/comic/sister3-304, deliberate changes to one's own appearance are symbolic of character development.

Or she just decided to change hair to match her outfit now when she can, or possibly is playing with change blindness like Grace. Because unlike Diane, she don't really have reason for any development, does she?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom Sewell said:

I wonder what Grace is thinking.

Just now, hkmaly said:

... why is Grace so nervous?

She's still worrying about why Sam ran off and also how she was going to get his phone number. The current scene is happening just hours before Grace finally gets to talk to Sam and has the encounter with "Smoke".

Just now, hkmaly said:

... did Ellen actually explained the dragon sisters before?

Not so much as being dragon sisters, but the "dragon-five" is probably the closest we've got and I'm not surprised that Ellen would connect with Ashley on that level because of it.

Just now, hkmaly said:
Just now, ijuin said:

Hmm, Nanase has given up the two-tone hair look for now, and also has gone for more length . . .

And quite recently.

I think she's gone with her classic style, before Justin gave her the ponytail, as for the clothes...I'm certain it's not a miniskirt she's wearing, but i'm unsure if it's a knee-length skirt or a full length one similar to the one she used to wear as part of her "this is what mom expects me to wear" outfit. as for the tank top/long sleeve shirt combo, I don't think I've seen her, or anyone else wear something like that before, t-shirt over long sleeves yes, but not a tank top, it's interesting though.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... and she definitely did, because hair doesn't grow that fast. That must be over 20cm in what, week?

And I'm guessing either no one notices because of change blindness, or they'll all be like "well she used to float around in the halls between classes so I wouldn't be surprised that she could change here hair".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grace is as skittish as a squirrel?

Justin is planning Hijinks?

Nanase is skeptical?

And Ellen wants to add "Draco-American" as an ethnicity option to the Census form?

Must be Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

And Ellen wants to add "Draco-American" as an ethnicity option to the Census form?

Must be a Monday in Shadowrun.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really disappointed in Nanase; I thought she had more fashion sense than that! I mean, that top combo is unusual but it could work for something akin to a retro-80s look, however that skirt simply does not go with it. 

This reminds me of Lucy's armored-skirt and plain modern-style shirt combo, which clashes in a similar way. I think that maybe when Dan designs a new outfit not based on something from real life, he should get a second opinion before drawing it in the comic; personally I find these strange and unflattering clothing choices distracting (and I'm the sort who normally doesn't even think about fashion).

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

She's still worrying about why Sam ran off and also how she was going to get his phone number. The current scene is happening just hours before Grace finally gets to talk to Sam and has the encounter with "Smoke".

Oh, that makes sense! I wonder if Dan's going explain that in an upcoming comic? (I'm a little surprised he didn't say something in the commentary of this one.)

...I really wish Dan hadn't jumped around in the timeline so much. One should not need to keep careful notes (or read a fan-made timeline) to know what order important events in a story happen in relation to one another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nanase used to have a spell that gave her total control over her hair before her first burnout. I assume she got it back. Or Ellen could have zapped her, or she could have borrowed Ellen's ring, or gotten one of her own from Cousin Tedd. Or her hair could have gotten longer because her magic is building up.

Now she needs to get her ponytail back.

I assume the skirt is a pleated kilt. Her whole outfit reminds me of the kind of thing Ashley goes for, especially if she's wearing pants under the skirt.

2 hours ago, mlooney said:

Must be a Monday in Shadowrun.

Ellen Dunkel. Dunkelzahn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The four of them obviously had lobster for breakfast on their way to school

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Scotty said:
14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... did Ellen actually explained the dragon sisters before?

Not so much as being dragon sisters, but the "dragon-five" is probably the closest we've got and I'm not surprised that Ellen would connect with Ashley on that level because of it.

I meant to Nanase, not to us. WE got the dragon-five which is pretty obvious.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:
14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... and she definitely did, because hair doesn't grow that fast. That must be over 20cm in what, week?

And I'm guessing either no one notices because of change blindness, or they'll all be like "well she used to float around in the halls between classes so I wouldn't be surprised that she could change here hair".

Sounds quite likely.

10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
12 hours ago, Scotty said:

She's still worrying about why Sam ran off and also how she was going to get his phone number. The current scene is happening just hours before Grace finally gets to talk to Sam and has the encounter with "Smoke".

Oh, that makes sense! I wonder if Dan's going explain that in an upcoming comic? (I'm a little surprised he didn't say something in the commentary of this one.)

...I really wish Dan hadn't jumped around in the timeline so much. One should not need to keep careful notes (or read a fan-made timeline) to know what order important events in a story happen in relation to one another.

Or, if he wants to jump so much, be more specific on when is what happening.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Nanase used to have a spell that gave her total control over her hair before her first burnout. I assume she got it back.

Of course she got it back. Magic burnout isn't some reset which would clear your spellbook. It just means you can't cast anything for a while. She can now cast ALL her spells. Well, technically. She can't cast guardian form as noone is in danger and she can't cast fae punch as she's not in fairy.

8 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

or she could have borrowed Ellen's ring

Ring?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I meant to Nanase, not to us. WE got the dragon-five which is pretty obvious.

Ahh, sorry, I'm sure Ellen told Nanase about the "Dragon" scale power infusing her and Ashley, but it might have more recently occurred to Ellen to consider Ashley a Dragon-Sister.

27 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Ring?

I'm pretty sure he meant watch.  Although, I guess now that Tedd knows that they are one supplying the power of the enchantments, they shouldn't be limited to watches at all. Of course they've already imbued a wand, but we've seen Arthur with a ring being used as a wand which he presumably made himself, so I'd wonder if Tedd could apply spells to any form of jewelry and people could use them to cast spells with, would probably be more inconspicuous than the watch, and the jewelry's materials might make for a much better catalyst too. Of course it might be possible that Arthur's ring is unique like Tedd's glove, but it would be cool if it wasn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I meant to Nanase, not to us. WE got the dragon-five which is pretty obvious.

Ahh, sorry, I'm sure Ellen told Nanase about the "Dragon" scale power infusing her and Ashley, but it might have more recently occurred to Ellen to consider Ashley a Dragon-Sister.

I'm not completely sure, but I do consider both more likely and more funny that Ellen told her and Nanase just complain about the amount of conclusion jumping involved between "infused with power from dragon scale" and "this makes a personal connection between us".

(And reality seems to confirm this so far: Ellen got a dragon form and her power rose significantly, Ashley is a wizard but her power level is definition of average and there were no dragon-specific elements to her power involved ... so far. Granted, if Ellen keeps hanging around Ashley and talk about dragons, Ashley is likely to get dragon-related spells just from this idea growing in her subconsciousness.)

4 hours ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Ring?

I'm pretty sure he meant watch. 

Me too. But it must've be funny chain of associations.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Although, I guess now that Tedd knows that they are one supplying the power of the enchantments, they shouldn't be limited to watches at all. Of course they've already imbued a wand, but we've seen Arthur with a ring being used as a wand which he presumably made himself, so I'd wonder if Tedd could apply spells to any form of jewelry and people could use them to cast spells with, would probably be more inconspicuous than the watch, and the jewelry's materials might make for a much better catalyst too. Of course it might be possible that Arthur's ring is unique like Tedd's glove, but it would be cool if it wasn't.

Well ... the watches already have almost no "battery" ... so my initial reaction was that ring probably would be even worse, on the other hand you may have point about better materials AND it's true it will be more inconspicuous if supposed to be used outside and not just in Tedd's lab. Back on first hand, Tedd decided for watches because they are CHEAP and he's on budget. Rings would cost more.

Arthur's ring don't necessary need to be unique, just hard to use for normal magic users ... but working well for wells of power seers are. There is definitely reason why the wands with standard spells issued to agents are actual wands and not rings. EGS rules definitely don't support the idea of magic ring being most powerful artefact on whole planet.

Now, if, instead of ring, we would be talking about bracelet, necklace or tiara ... I think those could store more power, on the other hand might lose the "inconspicuous" part and would definitely cost more. I wonder if some monster hunters use big amount of jewellery ... like, Noriko specifically don't need it, but someone else might.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Speaking of green hair, we already had a character with green hair, Liz, and she's been around for a long time. 

She's been around but just in background.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We know Dan is a fan of the Dresden Files books, and Harry has a set of rings which store up a little bit of kinetic energy with day-to-day movement, releasing it when he wants to punch extra-hard, and he uses his necklace for magic pretty regularly.  At least two female wizards have more decorative jewelry which also have magic powers.  I could definitely see Dan including that sort of thing in his own universe.

As for Nanase's outfit, I'm picturing the long sleeves as being kinda see-through, like stockings or a thin leotard would be.  I know I've seen stuff like that as a base layer in real life, with enough of a top over it for modesty's sake.  And I like the idea of her skirt being a kilt!  Maybe she's got a UtiliKilt?  I have one of those, won it in a raffle, and they're quite comfortable and have pockets to boot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Ashley is a wizard but her power level is definition of average and there were no dragon-specific elements to her power involved ...

I'm not sure how her power compares to the average non-magic user, or the average of magic-users and non-magic users combined, but as wizards go she's incredibly weak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Are you familiar with Louise the Zero? For that matter, remember why Tedd was thought to have no magic at all.

My only knowledge of Louise the Zero comes from a crossover fanfiction I read years ago, and taking a quick look at what it says about her on wikipedia just now. I do remember the situation with Tedd quite well, however.

Dan has already gone the "seems weak but is actually really strong" route with not only Tedd, but Rhoda and (if you count her S-Rank spell) Sarah. I would find it annoyingly repetitive if he did it again.

Personally I'd much prefer to see Ashley start low-leveled and slowly build up her power over time. With the emphasis on practice and experience-building in the EGS magic system it seems to me that starting out weak doesn't mean she can't eventually become strong, she just has further to go than most; once she's over her current issues I expect Ashely to be more than willing to put in the effort required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

Personally I'd much prefer to see Ashley start low-leveled and slowly build up her power over time. With the emphasis on practice and experience-building in the EGS magic system it seems to me that starting out weak doesn't mean she can't eventually become strong, she just has further to go than most; once she's over her current issues I expect Ashely to be more than willing to put in the effort required.

That's the natural way, and I'd like to see it, but there's a lot of EGS characters and only three pages a week. Plus,  I really, really, really want to see Ashley give Bad Tom his just desserts before I die of old age.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

We know Dan is a fan of the Dresden Files books, and Harry has a set of rings which store up a little bit of kinetic energy with day-to-day movement, releasing it when he wants to punch extra-hard, and he uses his necklace for magic pretty regularly.  At least two female wizards have more decorative jewelry which also have magic powers.  I could definitely see Dan including that sort of thing in his own universe.

That doesn't mean he will break rules he established himself. But yes, this might result in magic necklace appearing in EGS later ...

2 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
19 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Ashley is a wizard but her power level is definition of average and there were no dragon-specific elements to her power involved ...

I'm not sure how her power compares to the average non-magic user, or the average of magic-users and non-magic users combined, but as wizards go she's incredibly weak.

I was quoting Arthur Arthur. I think he has quite good idea how her power compares to others.

57 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Personally I'd much prefer to see Ashley start low-leveled and slowly build up her power over time. With the emphasis on practice and experience-building in the EGS magic system it seems to me that starting out weak doesn't mean she can't eventually become strong, she just has further to go than most; once she's over her current issues I expect Ashely to be more than willing to put in the effort required.

That's the natural way, and I'd like to see it, but there's a lot of EGS characters and only three pages a week. Plus,  I really, really, really want to see Ashley give Bad Tom his just desserts before I die of old age.

Ashley doesn't need so much magic to give Bad Tom his just desserts. Remember that he has basically zero magic resistance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChronosCat said:

Dan has already gone the "seems weak but is actually really strong" route with not only Tedd, but Rhoda and (if you count her S-Rank spell) Sarah. I would find it annoyingly repetitive if he did it again.

Sarah is still considered fairly weak as she cannot use her spell without the aid of ambient energy and Pandora wasn't certain if it'd take Sarah longer to awaken or if she'd still need the ambient energy crutch to use the spell even after awakening.

In terms of Ashley, Arthur stated that novice wizards have more power than the average person and that Ashley was the definition of average. But he did also say that either there was a level of wizard they were unaware of, or absorbing the power of the diamond gave her just enough to become a wizard. (Of course hkmaly linked the page just as I was about to post this)

Hmm that does make for an interesting theory, if during one of the old systems it was discovered that a person could be infused with power to turn them into magic users, the potential for anyone not descended from an Immortal becoming a wizard might have lead to a system change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I was quoting Arthur Arthur. I think he has quite good idea how her power compares to others.

Both Dan's commentary links and Shiveapedia have failed me. :darn_it_alll: 

I remembered that Kevin called Ashley weak; I had forgotten that Arthur had said she was average for a non-wizard. I had also forgotten that Arthur suspected that her becoming a wizard was the result of her absorbing power from the diamond; in fact since reading Monday's comic I'd been wondering when it had been established that Ashely absorbed power from the Diamond (the comic from this scene Dan links obviously wasn't it), but wasn't quite curious enough to ask or search through the archives for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this