• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ChronosCat

Story Monday May 13 2019

http://egscomics.com/comic/party-012

[space for spoilers]

Imaginary Jedi Justin is right, and in fact I hate it when viewpoint characters lie in fiction, but I still kind of wish they had decided to make this a celebration of Ellen's creation. I think that's something that ought to be celebrated, but seeing as how I don't think Dan is likely to do two party storylines close together, the fact that this isn't it suggests either there isn't going to be one or it's only going to be mentioned in passing.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

Imaginary Jedi Justin is right, and in fact I hate it when viewpoint characters lie in fiction

Especially if they lie about something which obviously have no chance to remain hidden.

This isn't exactly such case. He could plausibly find some acceptable reason ...

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

I still kind of wish they had decided to make this a celebration of Ellen's creation

Like this ... after all, Ashley already knows about Ellen being created ... and Elliot knows she knows.

Alternatively, he could go with half-truth: "I mentioned we should invite you to next party, and Tedd asked why not make party just now".

... of course, this being Elliot, he would probably fail even such simple lie.

So, despite telling everyone it should be just party Ashley is invited to, he tells her it's her party right away.

BTW, regarding Justin's abilities ... in EGS, it would be plausible Justin gets spell like this. However, his behaviour doesn't match real Justin, and we would be informed if Justin can do something like this, so it would really be Elliot's subconscious.

"My name is Ashley and I'm a magic user."
"Hi Ashley."

---------------

That's about how Ashley is feeling about Magic now. As a good, responsible person, the realistic downsides to Magic are piling up in her mind, displacing the lighthearted fantasies that didn't have to be thought through because they couldn't happen. That neutral look on her face suggests that a trusted friend is inviting her to her first Magic Users Anonymous meeting, and she's seriously considering that she needs to attend.

27 minutes ago, Haylo said:

"My name is Ashley and I'm a magic user."
"Hi Ashley."

---------------

That's about how Ashley is feeling about Magic now. As a good, responsible person, the realistic downsides to Magic are piling up in her mind, displacing the lighthearted fantasies that didn't have to be thought through because they couldn't happen. That neutral look on her face suggests that a trusted friend is inviting her to her first Magic Users Anonymous meeting, and she's seriously considering that she needs to attend.

If she thinks this way, then yes she needs to. She now has wizard talent ; she MUST learn how to use it before she uses it without meaning to. She probably doesn't have power buildups ... yet ... but she may still be dangerous - especially considering she's responsible so she's not likely to be dangerous deliberately.

But yes, Elliot, not only you failed to follow your plan, you said it in way which makes Ashley worry about stuff. On the other hand, still better than how I said previous paragraph: while true, it would definitely make her even more worried.

(Note however that Alcoholic Anonymous is bad metaphor: that's for people who were drinking alcohol. Better example would be something like Survivor's Anonymous - for people whom something happened TO. Which she might actually need as well.)

It always did seem weird that they made a spinoff about the "smart one" and the show got ten times dumber.  ("A Stanford professor hails a cab at Logan...")

Just now, hkmaly said:

Alternatively, he could go with half-truth: "I mentioned we should invite you to next party, and Tedd asked why not make party just now".

Also alternatively "You've only briefly met Ellen and Nanase, and haven't met Tedd's girlfriend Grace or our friend Justin yet so I though maybe a party could fix that."

It's totally true, he just doesn't have to mention magic .

Just now, Haylo said:

The expression could also be the opposite and she's thinking of reasons to not want to go. She might reluctantly agree, but she also might refuse because she feels Elliot's doing this party to get her to talk about what bothering her.

Elliot fails at deception?

Jedi Justin is letting Elliot down.

Elliot's Jedi abilities are mostly developing well.  We know that he is seeking additional assistance from Sensei Greg to work on magic and flight based combat.

But Elliot could not lie his way out of a damp paper bag.  And even an honorable warrior must know how to deceive and confuse at times.

If Elliot can not convincingly lie in the line of duty, he will never become the henchman Susan needs to support her nefarious plans.

1 hour ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But Elliot could not lie his way out of a damp paper bag.

True enough, and he seems to know it. He probably led with something like, "There's this party Saturday..." and then Ashley asked that darn question about somebody's birthday.

Ashley's next awkward question might  be something like, "I guess that leaves out Liz."

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Ashley's next awkward question might  be something like, "I guess that leaves out Liz."

If the reply is "Um, unless she's suddenly developed magic powers like five percent of Moperville", and if Pandora really did go back and mark Liz, we could get to watch multiple rounds of Ashley vs. Liz each trying to guess if the other has magic.

1 minute ago, Haylo said:

If the reply is "Um, unless she's suddenly developed magic powers like five percent of Moperville", and if Pandora really did go back and mark Liz, we could get to watch multiple rounds of Ashley vs. Liz each trying to guess if the other has magic.

And that would be a bad thing?

Whether or not Liz has magic, I was thinking about the look Liz had in Friday's last panel. 

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I suspect that for most plans that Elliot suggests, unless he states otherwise, Ashley's going to assume that she won't be able to bring Liz along.

Sure, if it's just going to the movies, it wouldn't hurt Ashley to ask if it's ok and Elliot would know that it wouldn't be the best time to play with magic.

And yeah, Elliot being up front about wanting Ashley get to know some magic users pre-empts Ashley from asking about Liz participating, but Ashley would probably assume that a party that Elliot suggests is probably going to include Tedd, Ellen and Nanase who are 3 other people that Ashley knows has as connection with magic so it's probably still not a good idea to ask if Liz could come along.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

But Elliot could not lie his way out of a damp paper bag.  And even an honorable warrior must know how to deceive and confuse at times.

If Elliot can not convincingly lie in the line of duty, he will never become the henchman Susan needs to support her nefarious plans.

I can definitely see Elliot having no problem with feinting during combat, that's a situation where it's acceptable, even expected, to lie in that way, so there's no betrayal of trust.  I suspect if the gang ever played Werewolf (aka Are You A Werewolf?), Elliot would surprise them all by lying his pants off, simply because that's a part of the game, and thus there should be no hard feelings or resentment.  Whenever I've played, tricking the other players successfully was met with admiration, especially from the players who were fooled.  (Yes, I'm sure there are people who take it badly, but I can't picture anyone in this group acting that way....okay, maybe Ellen would be surprised enough to be a teensy put out, but she'd come around pretty quickly.)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

it's probably still not a good idea to ask if Liz could come along.

Of course. And there would be no problem if Liz finds out about the party; she won't ask anyone about it, and probably won't even feel left out.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Of course. And there would be no problem if Liz finds out about the party; she won't ask anyone about it, and probably won't even feel left out.

If Liz knows that Ashley is going with Elliot and that its going to be among Elliot's friends, then she shouldn't expect it to be an open party to begin with and that Ashley is going because she's dating Elliot. There's not much stopping Liz from setting up a party with her friends and inviting Ashley and Elliot, aside from maybe throwing parties not being Liz's thing (just a guess really, I just get the feeling Liz isn't much of a party person).

If Liz does have a problem with Ashley doing things without her, it doesn't make Liz much of a friend, and I don't think Dan's turned her into another Lucy where she secretly has feelings for Ashley and considers any time spent with Ashley is the closest to dating her. Besides, what happened to Liz's boyfriend? is he her ex-ex-ex boyfriend now? ;)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

If Liz does have a problem with Ashley doing things without her, it doesn't make Liz much of a friend

No, it wouldn't. Unless maybe she's the kind of friend that has known Ashley much longer than Elliot, and noticed the similarity between how Ashley was after she discovered Bad Tom was Bad Tom and how she is now, and has doubts about Elliot being as "lovely" as Ashley told her, or that "It's nothing to do with Elliot" as Ashley said while looking down and away...

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

No, it wouldn't. Unless maybe she's the kind of friend that has known Ashley much longer than Elliot, and noticed the similarity between how Ashley was after she discovered Bad Tom was Bad Tom and how she is now, and has doubts about Elliot being as "lovely" as Ashley told her, or that "It's nothing to do with Elliot" as Ashley said while looking down and away...

The thing is, Elliot really isn't the problem, everything that's happened to him wasn't his fault and Ashley just happened to get caught up in it, after the incident with Magus and Sirleck and such, she could have said "I don't think I'm cut out for being your girlfriend if stuff like this is going to happen." instead she asked to for full disclosure so she'd know what to expect and because she understood that Elliot had no control over what happened. It doesn't seem like Elliot's had the chance to tell her anything yet and this party is theoretically going to help him do that, but that doesn't seem to be what's really bothering her, the idea of magic existing and people being able to use it amazed her, things changed when she was informed that she would be able to use it to and later realized what that really meant for her.

Anyway, if Liz tried to confront Elliot on the basis that he's pulling a Bad Tom on Ashley, Liz is going to wind up embarrassing herself and Ashley will probably be upset.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Anyway, if Liz tried to confront Elliot on the basis that he's pulling a Bad Tom on Ashley, Liz is going to wind up embarrassing herself and Ashley will probably be upset.

If Liz does confront Elliot, it could go something like this:

Liz: Tell me what's really going on with Ashley!

Elliot: Uh--look! Is that some kind of demonic duck?!

Liz:  Funny. Now cut the B.S.

Demonic Duck: Hey, Toots.

(Elliot escapes while Liz talks with the Demonic Duck.)

Or, less entertainingly, Elliot would say he shouldn't talk about it, which would make Liz even more determined to find out.

17 hours ago, Scotty said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also alternatively "You've only briefly met Ellen and Nanase, and haven't met Tedd's girlfriend Grace or our friend Justin yet so I though maybe a party could fix that."

It's totally true, he just doesn't have to mention magic .

It would definitely be better. It does, however, still put some pressure on her.

13 hours ago, Haylo said:
14 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I don't think Moperville is that small. Pandora has been busy, but so far we have no reason to assume it was THAT busy.

But I would like that multiple rounds of guessing ... if I didn't expected Ashley would be very bad at this and reveals herself quite quickly.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

The thing is, Elliot really isn't the problem, everything that's happened to him wasn't his fault and Ashley just happened to get caught up in it, after the incident with Magus and Sirleck and such, she could have said "I don't think I'm cut out for being your girlfriend if stuff like this is going to happen." instead she asked to for full disclosure so she'd know what to expect and because she understood that Elliot had no control over what happened. It doesn't seem like Elliot's had the chance to tell her anything yet and this party is theoretically going to help him do that, but that doesn't seem to be what's really bothering her, the idea of magic existing and people being able to use it amazed her, things changed when she was informed that she would be able to use it to and later realized what that really meant for her.

That's all true but it's based on things Liz doesn't know. The point is that from HER point of view, she has all reasons to worry.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Or, less entertainingly, Elliot would say he shouldn't talk about it, which would make Liz even more determined to find out.

Liz MIGHT be person who get actually ARRESTED for trying to spy on Elliot.

25 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think Moperville is that small. Pandora has been busy, but so far we have no reason to assume it was THAT busy.

Well, Naperville, Dan's home town and probably the nearest equivalent to Moperville in our universe, has around 150,000 people now, so, yes, not that small. 

That's all true but it's based on things Liz doesn't know. The point is that from HER point of view, she has all reasons to worry.

Exactly. Realistically, a lot of motivation not to let this go.

It's a possibility, if Elliot or his friends don't catch her first. However, since Greg, a huge black guy, skulked in bushes far too small to hide in to check out the Verres home at night without getting picked up, I don't think Moperville's Finest will be a problem.

49 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Well, Naperville, Dan's home town and probably the nearest equivalent to Moperville in our universe, has around 150,000 people now, so, yes, not that small. 

Yes. I don't think there is already 7500 magic users in Moperville.

54 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It's a possibility, if Elliot or his friends don't catch her first.

Yes.

54 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

However, since Greg, a huge black guy, skulked in bushes far too small to hide in to check out the Verres home at night

While Edward was out of town, with Elliot's approval and quite possibly additional cover from Magus.

And possibly using his magical martial arts.

For less than hour.

I'm not saying she would get picked up in hour. However, if persistent enough, and assuming she's skilled enough to not be caught by main eight, who she KNOWS she needs to hide from, she may be caught by DGB, who she's NOT aware she needs to hide from, in situation where they may be reasonably afraid she saw more than she should.

Especially if Edward took Greg breaking into his home as hint he should upgrade security.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I know, it's the fact that she doesn't know is why she'd end up looking bad, Ashley already said that Elliot's not the problem, and Liz pressing that issue makes her look untrusting of not only Elliot, but Ashley's judgment. Telling the truth about everything isn't guaranteed to help either, because knowing all the crap that's happened, even though as I said before wasn't Elliot's fault, Liz might not see it that way and worry even more about Ashley.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:
18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I know, it's the fact that she doesn't know is why she'd end up looking bad, Ashley already said that Elliot's not the problem, and Liz pressing that issue makes her look untrusting of not only Elliot, but Ashley's judgment.

To be fair, Ashley didn't showed that good judgement previously.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

Telling the truth about everything isn't guaranteed to help either, because knowing all the crap that's happened, even though as I said before wasn't Elliot's fault, Liz might not see it that way and worry even more about Ashley.

Yes. Also, she's not allowed to.