• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Wednesday, May 15, 2019

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp/fantasywasteland-17

... yeah, out-sillying bottle caps would be quite a challenge.

And yes, Grace should've expected there will be some payment involved. Most adventure games characters ARE sort of sneak-thieves, however ... "if it can be clicked, it means I should take it".

(Of course, in lot of games, characters are heavily armed and generally sort of people who unarmed civilians don't bother with questions like "why are you stealing my stuff?" ... it's surprising the merchants are generally brave enough to insist on payment.)

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

And yes, Grace should've expected there will be some payment involved.

Well, this version of Grace (the character, not regular Grace who is playing her in the game) was raised in a vault (or cave or whatever) where they either had a cashless barter economy, or a command or gift economy where buying and selling isn't really a thing, or used some sort of fiat currency. The idea of gold as a preferred medium of exchange (as opposed to things of utilitarian value such as tools or food) might simply be outside of her experience.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

And yes, Grace should've expected there will be some payment involved.

Well, this version of Grace (the character, not regular Grace who is playing her in the game) was raised in a vault (or cave or whatever) where they either had a cashless barter economy, or a command or gift economy where buying and selling isn't really a thing, or used some sort of fiat currency. The idea of gold as a preferred medium of exchange (as opposed to things of utilitarian value such as tools or food) might simply be outside of her experience.

True ; meaning, she has excuse for her ignorance. And obviously, the dialogue is scripted, so regular Grace couldn't really do anything better.

Quoth the commentary:

It's entirely possible Grace might go through a canon last name change in the future, because seriously, even I can't remember how to pronounce Sciuridae half the time.

Grace....Verres?

1 hour ago, AFNB said:

Quoth the commentary:

Grace....Verres?

It's the only way to do so without retconning everything. 

Yes filling out paperwork to have a name change is possible and Edward could probably make it happen for free, but it doesn't really make sense for her to do so in the story, especially since she's essentially the granddaughter of Dr Scuiridae and she took the name because of that (I wouldn't be surprised if Guyur is her middle name).

So having her get a legal name change for no reason other than to make it easier for people to say could be seen as disrespecting her heritage, retconning her name means changing the name of other people, and could be a fair bit of work to go through all the comics to change every instance of Scuiridae to the new name (time consuming). Or give a good and plausible reason for a last name change, marrying Tedd, almost everyone thinks they're pretty much married already (maybe even Edward), might as well make it official.

And I know there's the argument of "she doesn't have to take Tedd's name, Tedd could take hers, or they can hypenate Verres-Scuiridae or Scuiridae-Verres" but if the idea it to not have to worry about saying Scuiridae then taking Verres would solve that. Of course I wouldn't object to Grace and Tedd taking Brown as a last name ::wink wink::

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
9 hours ago, AFNB said:

Quoth the commentary:

Grace....Verres?

It's the only way to do so without retconning everything. 

Yes filling out paperwork to have a name change is possible and Edward could probably make it happen for free, but it doesn't really make sense for her to do so in the story, especially since she's essentially the granddaughter of Dr Scuiridae and she took the name because of that (I wouldn't be surprised if Guyur is her middle name).

So having her get a legal name change for no reason other than to make it easier for people to say could be seen as disrespecting her heritage, retconning her name means changing the name of other people, and could be a fair bit of work to go through all the comics to change every instance of Scuiridae to the new name (time consuming). Or give a good and plausible reason for a last name change, marrying Tedd, almost everyone thinks they're pretty much married already (maybe even Edward), might as well make it official.

And I know there's the argument of "she doesn't have to take Tedd's name, Tedd could take hers, or they can hypenate Verres-Scuiridae or Scuiridae-Verres" but if the idea it to not have to worry about saying Scuiridae then taking Verres would solve that. Of course I wouldn't object to Grace and Tedd taking Brown as a last name ::wink wink::

Yes. While Grace MIGHT change her name, she has no in-story reasons for doing that ... AND retconning it would be lot of work. Meanwhile, her marrying Tedd makes lot of sense and would also solve the problem. The other options might even be discussed in-story: if Tedd can't actually pronounce it correctly, it would be good argument for Grace to take Verres as last name.

However, I don't think anyone believes they are married already, maybe except Justin (can someone find where he asked if they eloped?). Or was that "pretty much married" euphemism for already having sex? That WOULD be something everyone may already assume. Me definitely.

Of course, based on Edwards "Rorschach" note, Tedd feels she's not old enough to propose ... wait. In the commentary, DAN said they're practically married as it is. I guess it counts.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Or was that "pretty much married" euphemism for already having sex?

I took it as saying "There's no way they won't get married, it's only a matter of time."

However, I don't think anyone believes they are married already, maybe except Justin (can someone find where he asked if they eloped?). Or was that "pretty much married" euphemism for already having sex? That WOULD be something everyone may already assume. Me definitely.

Here's the page, and I don't think he's talking about sex, Pandora also felt that Tedd and Grace are practically married too.

Of course, based on Edwards "Rorschach" note, Tedd feels she's not old enough to propose ... wait. In the commentary, DAN said they're practically married as it is. I guess it counts.

Yeah and that commentary was written in 2014, we also got this tweet earlier today:

57 minutes ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Here's the page, and I don't think he's talking about sex, Pandora also felt that Tedd and Grace are practically married too.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah and that commentary was written in 2014, we also got this tweet earlier today:

Thanks. Copied to wiki.

Ok, totally forgot Pandora. I still think they did already have sex. However, between Justin, Pandora and Dan, I suspect that's not what they think about when talking about being practically married.

Edward meanwhile ... year after that smile, I think he doesn't believe they still didn't had sex.

In fact, "just having sex with Grace" would likely be on top of list of explanations he though about after seeing Tedd this happy ... and girl.

As of the last we've seen of Tedd's and Grace's bedrooms, they each have their own, and (at a minimum) attempt to maintain an appearance that they each sleep in their own room.

But it's been a while.

As for the "practically married" I don't think it's explicitly or primarily sex. I think it's more "there's no way those two are gonna end up not-together, unless one of them dies." Although a sub-component of "I bet they sleep together, in every sense, rather often" would be somewhat less than surprising.

17 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

As of the last we've seen of Tedd's and Grace's bedrooms, they each have their own, and (at a minimum) attempt to maintain an appearance that they each sleep in their own room.

But it's been a while.

Also, we know about them attempting to maintain an appearance that they each sleep in their own room BECAUSE they actually weren't ... EVER. At least from time to time.

17 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

As for the "practically married" I don't think it's explicitly or primarily sex. I think it's more "there's no way those two are gonna end up not-together, unless one of them dies." Although a sub-component of "I bet they sleep together, in every sense, rather often" would be somewhat less than surprising.

It may not be primarily, but I would consider that sub-component something which would be very weird to be missing. The person talking about them being practically married might not actively think about it, but can hardly claim it shouldn't be included. And, they are eighteen: why not?

Granted, Grace's situation is little different from human teenagers, but people around her don't have experience with that. ELLEN is only one who, from her second life, knows how chimeras work in society.