• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Wednesday, May 22, 2019

This version of Carol reminds me of a certain character in Neverwinter Nights. The sorceress who's escaping from the mage academy*. If you help her defeat the mages chasing her, they die at your feet and she thanks you and joins your company. If you ignore the mess, the mages chasing her die at your feet and she thanks you and joins your company. If you run away, the mages chasing her die at your feet and she thanks you and joins your company. And SHE'S A SELF-CENTERED TWIT!

(If you try to help the mages chasing her, the game won't let you.)

* If you know your D&D, you wonder what the heck a sorceress was doing at a mage academy**. Ignore that.

** In case you don't: sorcerers do magic instinctively; mages have to study it. Sending a sorcerer to a mage academy is like teaching a dolphin to dog-paddle and kick its feet. Mages, on the other hand, can do more powerful magic than sorcerers - eventually, when they get to higher levels.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

If you know your D&D, you wonder what the heck a sorceress was doing at a mage academy.

<snip>

Mages, on the other hand, can do more powerful magic than sorcerers - eventually, when they get to higher levels.

Sounds like that might be the answer -- she wanted to multiclass so that she could access those more powerful magics.  I suspect the mages were worried about whether a sorcerer who did manage to learn their sort of magic would be much better at it than they were, hence attacking her when they discovered she was a sorcerer.

This version of Carol reminds me of a certain character in Neverwinter Nights. The sorceress who's escaping from the mage academy*. If you help her defeat the mages chasing her, they die at your feet and she thanks you and joins your company. If you ignore the mess, the mages chasing her die at your feet and she thanks you and joins your company. If you run away, the mages chasing her die at your feet and she thanks you and joins your company. And SHE'S A SELF-CENTERED TWIT!

Choo-choo ...

* If you know your D&D, you wonder what the heck a sorceress was doing at a mage academy**. Ignore that.

Well her father founded it. Not that I ever played neverwinter nights, but your description is clear enough.

2 minutes ago, CritterKeeper said:
3 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Mages, on the other hand, can do more powerful magic than sorcerers - eventually, when they get to higher levels.

Sounds like that might be the answer -- she wanted to multiclass so that she could access those more powerful magics.  I suspect the mages were worried about whether a sorcerer who did manage to learn their sort of magic would be much better at it than they were, hence attacking her when they discovered she was a sorcerer.

Or her FATHER wanted her to multiclass. Those mages meanwhile? They seem mostly to attack her for her personality.

8 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

That's another thing about some games, they're scripted to make your character the center of attention, in Skyrim, when you first come up to Whiterun, there's that group of companions fighting a giant, it doesn't matter how far away you are when the giant dies, you could have just gotten within sight of them, the one companion will come up to you and tell you how useless you were in fighting the giant. it's like "I just got here, what did you expect me to?"  In all my playthroughs, I've only been able to come across the fight just as it was starting and be able to get a few hits on it, on one playthrough so I at least know they do praise you for your skill in combat. It's still that automatic "thanks for nothing" attitude if you don't even get the chance to do anything that bugs me sometimes.

16 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

And SHE'S A SELF-CENTERED TWIT!

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

That's another thing about some games, they're scripted to make your character the center of attention

Maybe your character is also a self-centered twit? :) or, like, is known to be self-centered twit by everyone else.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

it doesn't matter how far away you are when the giant dies, you could have just gotten within sight of them, the one companion will come up to you and tell you how useless you were in fighting the giant

Well you were useless, but yes, the programmers could add another option for cases like this. Probably wasn't time.

However, in many games, you're not just center of attention. You are basically only thing which changes. Things which should be completely unrelated, like weather or road repairs, are not timed, but depends on where in story you are. And in many cases, the game would get LOT more complicated if they tried to do it differently - it would basically be completely different game, harder to both play and develop.

There are even worse cases, though. Games where you have multiple characters and there are quests you can do with every of those characters. And, well ... sometimes it makes sense, as the quests are for training your characters even based on the description, but sometimes the description suggests you were just around when they needed help, and it really doesn't make sense that your other characters can do the same thing later. And get the same item as reward. Unique item. Which is not really item but just flag in character sheet.

I seriously hope it's just case of browser games ...

Just now, hkmaly said:

Maybe your character is also a self-centered twit? :) or, like, is known to be self-centered twit by everyone else.

In Fallout 4 you get dialog options that allow you to be a sarcastic jerk, but in Skyrim it's not as apparent and the NPC just assume what type of person you are before you even talk to them, it's like they've cheated and looked at your character sheet.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:
11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

In Fallout 4 you get dialog options that allow you to be a sarcastic jerk

... can you be just sarcastic?

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

but in Skyrim it's not as apparent and the NPC just assume what type of person you are before you even talk to them, it's like they've cheated and looked at your character sheet.

NPC cheats all the time (warning: tvtropes link). Sometimes they even see your units through fog of war.

Just now, hkmaly said:

There's a let's Player that used to do mostly minecraft vids on Youtube (he's strictly Twitch livestreaming now) named GenerikB, he did a Fallout 4 series where he played a character affectionately named "Genny the Jerk" and only chose the sarcastic dialog options when able.

Just now, hkmaly said:

NPC cheats all the time. Sometimes they even see your units through fog of war.

They also seem to have the ability to dodge bullets (in fallout) or arrows (in skyrim) at the precise moment you shoot from range, doesn't matter how long you aim at them or even if they can see you, the moment you push the button to fire, they're out of the way, thankfully there's mods that fix that and makes NPC dodging seem more realistic.