• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Monday, May 27, 2019

11 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note that Arthur reacted that way AFTER he read the report about what Nanase did on New Year.

Arthur used to be Edward's boss, we don't know if Noriko worked at DGB until the divorce, but even if she didn't he'd certainly still know her and given Wolf's description of her, her family is well known to the division, so it's likely that Arthur would know that Nanase is Noriko's niece and that she was showing potential to be as powerful especially after using a guardian form. And then there's the whole "Meddling Teenagers" bit which, despite not really dealing with actual paranormal cases until New Years, should have been under the watchful eye of DGB anyway due to magic users being involved (well Nanase was burned out, but Ellen could still zap people and someone at DGB would probably be tasked with making sure Ellen didn't cause any magic related incidents).

Yes, Nanase was burned out and therefore not so scary. But yes, he SHOULD remember her relationship with Noriko and Edward and be careful about her ...

This passing can take time, especially if there is a policy to not hire people below certain age and/or who didn't finished college. It has been what, about month? Did they even finished the background check on her already?

She wouldn't be recruited immediately, no, but Edward might suggest that after college there could be a place for her as someone who monitors media and such to pick out potential problems.

Suggest to DGB, yes. He might not want to mention it to her for case it won't be accepted.

And he'd probably do the background check himself considering proximity to family.

She's not so close AND he likely isn't doing background checks personally.

It might. He certainly had bigger influence on recruiting as head of the division.

He still has the loyalty of Wolf and Cranium, and can call in favours, I'd say he still has a lot of influence, that doesn't necessarily mean he can recruit someone on the spot though.

I don't think Charlotte would be worth calling favours to him.

That was URGENT. Such spells are rare and anyone having that spell needs to be acquired before someone else gets to him.

I was just using that as an example of someone being recruited because of Edward, Edward wouldn't have everyone he feels would be an asset to the division be strong-armed

I understand it as it's only example we have, however not only it's likely from time he was head of DGB, it's also exceptional.

it's unlikely that he'd strong-arm any of the Main Eight into working for the paranormal division, though he probably hopes that Tedd would follow in his footsteps

Before finding out he's seer there was no reason. Afterwards? I'm pretty sure if Tedd would reject Arthur's offer Arthur would try something else, up to anything Edward wouldn't object against much.

he'd certainly also make it known that the division would have places for them, but he probably respects their parents enough to not force them

I'm not sure about this. I mean, it would make sense, but it would also be something which SHOULD be in comics directly. Maybe he's waiting for them to be older, like, he might be wanting to mention it when they will be choosing college or something.

With the whole magic reset storyline, I was half expecting that DGB somehow turns to enemy and main 8 will be working against it. However, magic reset ended up with Tedd being offered work from Arthur. Which means we are returning to previous state of "whole EGS seems like main 8 will end up working for DGB".

especially in Nanase's case, he probably wouldn't want to mess with Mama Kitsune even if he hadn't been married to her sister

Depends what actually is Mama Kitsune's opinion on Nanase working in DGB ... but yes, I think she's scary enough everyone would leave such decision on her.

... actually, what will Edward do? Tell them that everyone is welcomed except Nanase because her mother would object? That sounds like something he might be in no hurry to do :)

2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

If Edward's run background checks on Tedd's friends for the purpose of protecting Tedd, then it's likely he did so personally, or called in personal favours.

Sure Charlotte isn't close to Tedd like Elliot of the other main crew, but if if he was pragmatic about Tedd's safety, he'd probably push a couple layers out to "friends of friends" just to be sure.

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Before finding out he's seer there was no reason. Afterwards? I'm pretty sure if Tedd would reject Arthur's offer Arthur would try something else, up to anything Edward wouldn't object against much.

I don't think there was any chance of Tedd refusing anyway, he's basically getting everything he wants, but I'd imagine that if he had refused, that he'd rather pursue a career in computer science or something, Edward wouldn't object, and probably would insist that Arthur, or anyone else that would say otherwise, to lay off. We know that Edward is too valuable to the FBI for them to mess with him.

30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure about this. I mean, it would make sense, but it would also be something which SHOULD be in comics directly. Maybe he's waiting for them to be older, like, he might be wanting to mention it when they will be choosing college or something.

We know Dan plans on sending them through college, it remains to be seen how he continues things with that angle in mind. I just don't expect any of them to be forced to work for the government. There is the possible exception of Elliot, who isn't certain what he wants to do for a career yet, might end up having a talk with his dad about the kind of work he's been doing after not knowing for so long.

12 minutes ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If Edward's run background checks on Tedd's friends for the purpose of protecting Tedd, then it's likely he did so personally, or called in personal favours.

He run most of those background checks while still head of DGB. I think such background check involve multiple agents doing boring work of searching through data to verifying nothing suspicious is there, so not something head of DGB would do personally.

I also think that even normal agents have way to call for someone's background check - maybe not deep thorough ones but definitely some. Like, imagine someone moves next to you. Most likely, it's just random normal person, but it could be also enemy agent preparing to attack you. And not everyone has qualification to do background check properly, and some agents might not even have necessary clearance (what if the person is another agent on same side?) but still needs to be protected.

... like, it would be interesting what would real secret agents say about this topic, but I suspect it would be top secret :), and not necessary relevant for EGS anyway.

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Sure Charlotte isn't close to Tedd like Elliot of the other main crew, but if if he was pragmatic about Tedd's safety, he'd probably push a couple layers out to "friends of friends" just to be sure.

She only appeared recently. She's not so close and there is no reason to rush it. I would assume he won't NEED more thorough background check than what he gets without the personal favours ... like, they arrested wanted fugitive. Almost surely, all of them were REQUIRED to write report about what happened and just the fact Charlotte was mentioned in those reports might trigger background check. But, like, it might not finished yet.

27 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I don't think there was any chance of Tedd refusing anyway, he's basically getting everything he wants, but I'd imagine that if he had refused, that he'd rather pursue a career in computer science or something, Edward wouldn't object, and probably would insist that Arthur, or anyone else that would say otherwise, to lay off. We know that Edward is too valuable to the FBI for them to mess with him.

Well there was chance of Tedd refusing on ground of not wanting any supervision over his research. Which would likely get him invitation to Germahn labs - I mean, they would try to employ him indirectly in way which would hide he would still work for them. That career in computer science, yes, that had little chance to happen.

Thing is, Tedd might be even MORE valuable than Edward ... and Edward may realize that, or maybe be convinced about it. In which case someone could prepare some plan how to push Tedd to accepting and if it wouldn't be TOO bad, Edward may reluctantly approve it. Alternatively, they might try something indirect enough they might hope Edward won't find out about it.

33 minutes ago, Scotty said:

We know Dan plans on sending them through college, it remains to be seen how he continues things with that angle in mind. I just don't expect any of them to be forced to work for the government. There is the possible exception of Elliot, who isn't certain what he wants to do for a career yet, might end up having a talk with his dad about the kind of work he's been doing after not knowing for so long.

There is forced and forced. Noone is going to hold them at gunpoint, which would be bad way to recruit someone anyway. However, noone was holding agent Cranium at gunpoint either. Or whoever was "strongarmed" to work for DGB due to the spell similar to Sarah's.

Dan PROBABLY wouldn't want to run story about someone of main 8 being strongarmed to work for government, on the other hand, he DID Painted Black and he DID run story with Pandora sort of dying. So, maybe if the idea would be good enough and the person strongarmed into DGB would later admit it's not that bad, even Dan might do it.

Alternatively, instead of being strongarmed into DGB by DGB, they would be railroaded into DGB by Dan: meaning, something which couldn't possibly be arranged by DGB will make someone who wasn't going to work for DGB to reconsider.

And, yes ... I suspect the thing about what are Dunkels really doing would come up later ... probably after years of being teased with it. So, yes, maybe it will influence Elliot's choice. Or, more likely, Ellen's, as I would assume Elliot wouldn't need any convincing, especially if he will be still dating Ashley the wizard. (Hmmm ... although ... ok, this depends on what will be the situation with Nanase. If Nanase is going to DGB, Ellen will follow.)

Of course, there is also possibility that during the four years they will be at college, DGB would already go public. Well, little more public. Enough public that it would become normal career choice.

... finally, there is the possibility Dan doesn't plan that long and only has something ready WHILE they will be in college. He might even think that he will finish the comics before they finish it, however I'm sure he will change mind (image of EGS readers with torches and pitchforks voicing their opinion about important events like OTT or Nanase and Ellen's kid not happening in comics).

Maybe he's waiting for them to be older, like, he might be wanting to mention it when they will be choosing college or something.

They are in the latter half of the senior year of high school. The time to be choosing colleges is early in senior year - or earlier. Nanase probably has several letters in hand telling her that various colleges would welcome her. Several of the others likely have at least one such letter.

On 5/30/2019 at 6:41 PM, Don Edwards said:
On 5/30/2019 at 0:43 AM, hkmaly said:

Maybe he's waiting for them to be older, like, he might be wanting to mention it when they will be choosing college or something.

They are in the latter half of the senior year of high school. The time to be choosing colleges is early in senior year - or earlier. Nanase probably has several letters in hand telling her that various colleges would welcome her. Several of the others likely have at least one such letter.

The usual time of choosing notwithstanding, I wouldn't be surprised if Elliot didn't get to it yet.

Nanase, yes, she obviously have multiple letters ... and Mrs. Kitsune have few backups. Susan might be having one because she only considered one and she obviously got there.

I'm just surprised this wasn't in comics ... wait. Actually I'm not. It would make quite a lot sense if this happened during the timeskip BUT will be only shown in comics in flashback when the college became relevant, because story-wise, talking about college years of real time in advance doesn't make much sense.

So, it technically already happened, BUT it's not written yet.

Given what we know of Elliot, he likely only applied to colleges close enough to commute to from home. It's not really like the Dunkels have enough money to fund tuition AND living quarters for both Elliot and Ellen, especially if the two of them would attend colleges in different cities.

On 6/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, ijuin said:

Given what we know of Elliot, he likely only applied to colleges close enough to commute to from home. It's not really like the Dunkels have enough money to fund tuition AND living quarters for both Elliot and Ellen, especially if the two of them would attend colleges in different cities.

Is that even allowed in US? I mean, it's pretty normal in Europe, but from what I saw about US, commuting to college from home seems non-existent.

But, yes ... despite the fact that we all know somehow the main cast ends up in same college and likely living together, realistically, it should be taken into account that Dunkels and Diane are relatively poor while Susan is rich (and I suspect Werres would also be relatively rich, I don't think DGB pays that bad).

... actually, wait: it's pretty realistic that Elliot and Ellen ends up living with someone else BECAUSE it will save money. I mean, it might require some mental gymnastics to make Dunkels not feel like taking advantage of someone, but still. They will definitely live together, because it cost less, they are used to it and face it, their interests are not so different they would opt for different colleges anyway. Unless you count Ellen's interest to have privacy with Nanase (and, presumably, Elliots with Ashley at that point).

57 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Is that even allowed in US? I mean, it's pretty normal in Europe, but from what I saw about US, commuting to college from home seems non-existent.

But, yes ... despite the fact that we all know somehow the main cast ends up in same college and likely living together, realistically, it should be taken into account that Dunkels and Diane are relatively poor while Susan is rich (and I suspect Werres would also be relatively rich, I don't think DGB pays that bad).

... actually, wait: it's pretty realistic that Elliot and Ellen ends up living with someone else BECAUSE it will save money. I mean, it might require some mental gymnastics to make Dunkels not feel like taking advantage of someone, but still. They will definitely live together, because it cost less, they are used to it and face it, their interests are not so different they would opt for different colleges anyway. Unless you count Ellen's interest to have privacy with Nanase (and, presumably, Elliots with Ashley at that point).

They're going to get a house like Rhea, Charlotte, Elijah and Rich share, but big enough for the 9 of them (6 bedroom would probably do it with Nanase/Ellen sharing one, Tedd/Grace sharing, Elliot/Ashley, and then Sarah(unless she shares with Tedd and Grace;) ), Justin and Susan would each get their own.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think some colleges require that you live on-campus for your first semester or two. However the main reason most people don't commute to college is because unless you live in the same town as (or otherwise close to) the college you want to go to, it just isn't practical - and most towns don't actually have a college nearby. (The nearest colleges to the town I live in are an hour's drive away; I certainly wouldn't want a daily commute like that.)

I think most US colleges that require freshmen to live in dorms, make an exception for those who will still be living with their parents.

US Colleges in remote areas require people to live on campus. Colleges in suburbs and metropolitan areas generally don't care one way or the other. I commuted and lived in the dorms various eyes I went to college in a city.

"Most...require" is probably not really "most".