• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Monday, May 27, 2019

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note that Arthur reacted that way AFTER he read the report about what Nanase did on New Year.

Arthur used to be Edward's boss, we don't know if Noriko worked at DGB until the divorce, but even if she didn't he'd certainly still know her and given Wolf's description of her, her family is well known to the division, so it's likely that Arthur would know that Nanase is Noriko's niece and that she was showing potential to be as powerful especially after using a guardian form. And then there's the whole "Meddling Teenagers" bit which, despite not really dealing with actual paranormal cases until New Years, should have been under the watchful eye of DGB anyway due to magic users being involved (well Nanase was burned out, but Ellen could still zap people and someone at DGB would probably be tasked with making sure Ellen didn't cause any magic related incidents).

Yes, Nanase was burned out and therefore not so scary. But yes, he SHOULD remember her relationship with Noriko and Edward and be careful about her ...

11 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

This passing can take time, especially if there is a policy to not hire people below certain age and/or who didn't finished college. It has been what, about month? Did they even finished the background check on her already?

She wouldn't be recruited immediately, no, but Edward might suggest that after college there could be a place for her as someone who monitors media and such to pick out potential problems.

Suggest to DGB, yes. He might not want to mention it to her for case it won't be accepted.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

And he'd probably do the background check himself considering proximity to family.

She's not so close AND he likely isn't doing background checks personally.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It might. He certainly had bigger influence on recruiting as head of the division.

He still has the loyalty of Wolf and Cranium, and can call in favours, I'd say he still has a lot of influence, that doesn't necessarily mean he can recruit someone on the spot though.

I don't think Charlotte would be worth calling favours to him.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That was URGENT. Such spells are rare and anyone having that spell needs to be acquired before someone else gets to him.

I was just using that as an example of someone being recruited because of Edward, Edward wouldn't have everyone he feels would be an asset to the division be strong-armed

I understand it as it's only example we have, however not only it's likely from time he was head of DGB, it's also exceptional.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

it's unlikely that he'd strong-arm any of the Main Eight into working for the paranormal division, though he probably hopes that Tedd would follow in his footsteps

Before finding out he's seer there was no reason. Afterwards? I'm pretty sure if Tedd would reject Arthur's offer Arthur would try something else, up to anything Edward wouldn't object against much.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

he'd certainly also make it known that the division would have places for them, but he probably respects their parents enough to not force them

I'm not sure about this. I mean, it would make sense, but it would also be something which SHOULD be in comics directly. Maybe he's waiting for them to be older, like, he might be wanting to mention it when they will be choosing college or something.

With the whole magic reset storyline, I was half expecting that DGB somehow turns to enemy and main 8 will be working against it. However, magic reset ended up with Tedd being offered work from Arthur. Which means we are returning to previous state of "whole EGS seems like main 8 will end up working for DGB".

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

especially in Nanase's case, he probably wouldn't want to mess with Mama Kitsune even if he hadn't been married to her sister

Depends what actually is Mama Kitsune's opinion on Nanase working in DGB ... but yes, I think she's scary enough everyone would leave such decision on her.

...

... actually, what will Edward do? Tell them that everyone is welcomed except Nanase because her mother would object? That sounds like something he might be in no hurry to do :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She's not so close AND he likely isn't doing background checks personally.

If Edward's run background checks on Tedd's friends for the purpose of protecting Tedd, then it's likely he did so personally, or called in personal favours.

Sure Charlotte isn't close to Tedd like Elliot of the other main crew, but if if he was pragmatic about Tedd's safety, he'd probably push a couple layers out to "friends of friends" just to be sure.

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Before finding out he's seer there was no reason. Afterwards? I'm pretty sure if Tedd would reject Arthur's offer Arthur would try something else, up to anything Edward wouldn't object against much.

I don't think there was any chance of Tedd refusing anyway, he's basically getting everything he wants, but I'd imagine that if he had refused, that he'd rather pursue a career in computer science or something, Edward wouldn't object, and probably would insist that Arthur, or anyone else that would say otherwise, to lay off. We know that Edward is too valuable to the FBI for them to mess with him.

30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure about this. I mean, it would make sense, but it would also be something which SHOULD be in comics directly. Maybe he's waiting for them to be older, like, he might be wanting to mention it when they will be choosing college or something.

We know Dan plans on sending them through college, it remains to be seen how he continues things with that angle in mind. I just don't expect any of them to be forced to work for the government. There is the possible exception of Elliot, who isn't certain what he wants to do for a career yet, might end up having a talk with his dad about the kind of work he's been doing after not knowing for so long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

She's not so close AND he likely isn't doing background checks personally.

If Edward's run background checks on Tedd's friends for the purpose of protecting Tedd, then it's likely he did so personally, or called in personal favours.

He run most of those background checks while still head of DGB. I think such background check involve multiple agents doing boring work of searching through data to verifying nothing suspicious is there, so not something head of DGB would do personally.

I also think that even normal agents have way to call for someone's background check - maybe not deep thorough ones but definitely some. Like, imagine someone moves next to you. Most likely, it's just random normal person, but it could be also enemy agent preparing to attack you. And not everyone has qualification to do background check properly, and some agents might not even have necessary clearance (what if the person is another agent on same side?) but still needs to be protected.

... like, it would be interesting what would real secret agents say about this topic, but I suspect it would be top secret :), and not necessary relevant for EGS anyway.

19 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Sure Charlotte isn't close to Tedd like Elliot of the other main crew, but if if he was pragmatic about Tedd's safety, he'd probably push a couple layers out to "friends of friends" just to be sure.

She only appeared recently. She's not so close and there is no reason to rush it. I would assume he won't NEED more thorough background check than what he gets without the personal favours ... like, they arrested wanted fugitive. Almost surely, all of them were REQUIRED to write report about what happened and just the fact Charlotte was mentioned in those reports might trigger background check. But, like, it might not finished yet.

27 minutes ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Before finding out he's seer there was no reason. Afterwards? I'm pretty sure if Tedd would reject Arthur's offer Arthur would try something else, up to anything Edward wouldn't object against much.

I don't think there was any chance of Tedd refusing anyway, he's basically getting everything he wants, but I'd imagine that if he had refused, that he'd rather pursue a career in computer science or something, Edward wouldn't object, and probably would insist that Arthur, or anyone else that would say otherwise, to lay off. We know that Edward is too valuable to the FBI for them to mess with him.

Well there was chance of Tedd refusing on ground of not wanting any supervision over his research. Which would likely get him invitation to Germahn labs - I mean, they would try to employ him indirectly in way which would hide he would still work for them. That career in computer science, yes, that had little chance to happen.

Thing is, Tedd might be even MORE valuable than Edward ... and Edward may realize that, or maybe be convinced about it. In which case someone could prepare some plan how to push Tedd to accepting and if it wouldn't be TOO bad, Edward may reluctantly approve it. Alternatively, they might try something indirect enough they might hope Edward won't find out about it.

33 minutes ago, Scotty said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure about this. I mean, it would make sense, but it would also be something which SHOULD be in comics directly. Maybe he's waiting for them to be older, like, he might be wanting to mention it when they will be choosing college or something.

We know Dan plans on sending them through college, it remains to be seen how he continues things with that angle in mind. I just don't expect any of them to be forced to work for the government. There is the possible exception of Elliot, who isn't certain what he wants to do for a career yet, might end up having a talk with his dad about the kind of work he's been doing after not knowing for so long.

There is forced and forced. Noone is going to hold them at gunpoint, which would be bad way to recruit someone anyway. However, noone was holding agent Cranium at gunpoint either. Or whoever was "strongarmed" to work for DGB due to the spell similar to Sarah's.

Dan PROBABLY wouldn't want to run story about someone of main 8 being strongarmed to work for government, on the other hand, he DID Painted Black and he DID run story with Pandora sort of dying. So, maybe if the idea would be good enough and the person strongarmed into DGB would later admit it's not that bad, even Dan might do it.

Alternatively, instead of being strongarmed into DGB by DGB, they would be railroaded into DGB by Dan: meaning, something which couldn't possibly be arranged by DGB will make someone who wasn't going to work for DGB to reconsider.

And, yes ... I suspect the thing about what are Dunkels really doing would come up later ... probably after years of being teased with it. So, yes, maybe it will influence Elliot's choice. Or, more likely, Ellen's, as I would assume Elliot wouldn't need any convincing, especially if he will be still dating Ashley the wizard. (Hmmm ... although ... ok, this depends on what will be the situation with Nanase. If Nanase is going to DGB, Ellen will follow.)

Of course, there is also possibility that during the four years they will be at college, DGB would already go public. Well, little more public. Enough public that it would become normal career choice.

... finally, there is the possibility Dan doesn't plan that long and only has something ready WHILE they will be in college. He might even think that he will finish the comics before they finish it, however I'm sure he will change mind (image of EGS readers with torches and pitchforks voicing their opinion about important events like OTT or Nanase and Ellen's kid not happening in comics).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Maybe he's waiting for them to be older, like, he might be wanting to mention it when they will be choosing college or something.

They are in the latter half of the senior year of high school. The time to be choosing colleges is early in senior year - or earlier. Nanase probably has several letters in hand telling her that various colleges would welcome her. Several of the others likely have at least one such letter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 6:41 PM, Don Edwards said:
On 5/30/2019 at 0:43 AM, hkmaly said:

Maybe he's waiting for them to be older, like, he might be wanting to mention it when they will be choosing college or something.

They are in the latter half of the senior year of high school. The time to be choosing colleges is early in senior year - or earlier. Nanase probably has several letters in hand telling her that various colleges would welcome her. Several of the others likely have at least one such letter.

The usual time of choosing notwithstanding, I wouldn't be surprised if Elliot didn't get to it yet.

Nanase, yes, she obviously have multiple letters ... and Mrs. Kitsune have few backups. Susan might be having one because she only considered one and she obviously got there.

I'm just surprised this wasn't in comics ... wait. Actually I'm not. It would make quite a lot sense if this happened during the timeskip BUT will be only shown in comics in flashback when the college became relevant, because story-wise, talking about college years of real time in advance doesn't make much sense.

So, it technically already happened, BUT it's not written yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given what we know of Elliot, he likely only applied to colleges close enough to commute to from home. It's not really like the Dunkels have enough money to fund tuition AND living quarters for both Elliot and Ellen, especially if the two of them would attend colleges in different cities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, ijuin said:

Given what we know of Elliot, he likely only applied to colleges close enough to commute to from home. It's not really like the Dunkels have enough money to fund tuition AND living quarters for both Elliot and Ellen, especially if the two of them would attend colleges in different cities.

Is that even allowed in US? I mean, it's pretty normal in Europe, but from what I saw about US, commuting to college from home seems non-existent.

But, yes ... despite the fact that we all know somehow the main cast ends up in same college and likely living together, realistically, it should be taken into account that Dunkels and Diane are relatively poor while Susan is rich (and I suspect Werres would also be relatively rich, I don't think DGB pays that bad).

... actually, wait: it's pretty realistic that Elliot and Ellen ends up living with someone else BECAUSE it will save money. I mean, it might require some mental gymnastics to make Dunkels not feel like taking advantage of someone, but still. They will definitely live together, because it cost less, they are used to it and face it, their interests are not so different they would opt for different colleges anyway. Unless you count Ellen's interest to have privacy with Nanase (and, presumably, Elliots with Ashley at that point).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Is that even allowed in US? I mean, it's pretty normal in Europe, but from what I saw about US, commuting to college from home seems non-existent.

But, yes ... despite the fact that we all know somehow the main cast ends up in same college and likely living together, realistically, it should be taken into account that Dunkels and Diane are relatively poor while Susan is rich (and I suspect Werres would also be relatively rich, I don't think DGB pays that bad).

... actually, wait: it's pretty realistic that Elliot and Ellen ends up living with someone else BECAUSE it will save money. I mean, it might require some mental gymnastics to make Dunkels not feel like taking advantage of someone, but still. They will definitely live together, because it cost less, they are used to it and face it, their interests are not so different they would opt for different colleges anyway. Unless you count Ellen's interest to have privacy with Nanase (and, presumably, Elliots with Ashley at that point).

They're going to get a house like Rhea, Charlotte, Elijah and Rich share, but big enough for the 9 of them (6 bedroom would probably do it with Nanase/Ellen sharing one, Tedd/Grace sharing, Elliot/Ashley, and then Sarah(unless she shares with Tedd and Grace;) ), Justin and Susan would each get their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Is that even allowed in US? I mean, it's pretty normal in Europe, but from what I saw about US, commuting to college from home seems non-existent.

I think some colleges require that you live on-campus for your first semester or two. However the main reason most people don't commute to college is because unless you live in the same town as (or otherwise close to) the college you want to go to, it just isn't practical - and most towns don't actually have a college nearby. (The nearest colleges to the town I live in are an hour's drive away; I certainly wouldn't want a daily commute like that.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most US colleges that require freshmen to live in dorms, make an exception for those who will still be living with their parents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US Colleges in remote areas require people to live on campus. Colleges in suburbs and metropolitan areas generally don't care one way or the other. I commuted and lived in the dorms various eyes I went to college in a city.

"Most...require" is probably not really "most".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/27/2019 at 6:32 PM, Scotty said:

There is a rather large lake not too far from Moperville which likely has natural beaches.

I don't know about natural beaches, but there is at least one sandy beach I've walked by (breast cancer 3-day started out going up the shoreline) which was right in downtown Chicago.  In fact, they just showed people playing volleyball on North Avenue Beach on the news as I'm working on this post.  There's also some very nice lakeshore paths, and gorgeous strips of parkland a smidge inland from the shore.

However, that's *in-* the city of Chicago, and our story is set in what is basically Naperville.  From my suburb, it's almost an hour to get downtown, and Naperville isn't that much closer, I expect the shortest travel time is more than half an hour.

Many suburbs do have smaller lakes, natural or artificial, which may or may not have a little fake beach, but almost certainly have walking paths, bike paths, grassy parks, etc. around them, which would make for nice places to go for a walk together.

On 5/28/2019 at 2:39 AM, ijuin said:

On "caveman" clothes, I would think that what prehistoric people wore would be similar to what stone-age level "primitive" tribes in modern times wore until they first started interacting with higher-tech people, e.g. the native American tribes before they started trading with Europeans. Rather than crude fur wraps, they had sewn clothes made with fur or leather even before they invented thread-spinning and weaving or knitting.

America had some extremely sophisticated cultures, long before the Europeans showed up.  At some points in history they were ahead of Europe.  They're hardly the equivalent to cavemen, and it's rather insulting to imply they were.  There are a very few extremely low-tech cultures still in existence in very remote areas of each continent, generally in warm enough climates that not much clothing is necessary, so they don't bother.  They mostly craft things to carry stuff in, and simple weapons and tools.  Any group that ventured too far away from the equatorial zone would need to have the technology to craft clothing capable of protecting them from the cold of winter, including their feet.  

Even Neanderthals and their contemporaries used more technology than most people realize.  Look up Mousterian Industry and the Levallois point.  But there's no evidence of them (or anatomically modern humans alive during the same time period -- they overlapped quite a while) processing furs beyond scraped hides, no bone needles or awls for punching holes to sew through.  So, a large fur wrapped around or draped over the body, maybe something like a poncho and kilt?  Probably not the cliche that looks sort of like a cross between a fur pair of boxers and a half of a wrestling tank top, with a long thin piece over one shoulder and the rest of the chest bare.  Once you get into the Upper Paleolithic, there's plenty of evidrnce of tailoring clothing rather than just wrapping in furs.

Quote

On newspapers, how many people here still get a paper delivered to their home every day? I would bet a fair number do. People are not getting their news ONLY from papers, but papers are still circulating.

We get the paper at work, for clients to read in the lobby, and many of them do; granted we do have another use for it after reading it....

Quote

On fashions, it is common for a person's (including Dan's) fashion sense to become "frozen" when they are in their twenties, unless they are the type of person who puts effort into staying on top of trends. Most of the rest of us simply figure out what we like to wear and stick with it forever. Definitely, people who do not have children tend not to keep up to date with "what the kids wear these days", so Dan basing his characters' fashions on what was fashionable when he was their age is pretty standard for artists.

Hasn't the default been jeans and a T-shirt for quite a while now?

On 5/29/2019 at 5:43 PM, hkmaly said:

Before finding out he's [a] seer there was no reason. Afterwards? I'm pretty sure if Tedd would reject Arthur's offer Arthur would try something else, up to anything Edward wouldn't object against much.

I'm not sure about this. I mean, it would make sense, but it would also be something which SHOULD be in comics directly. Maybe he's waiting for them to be older, like, he might be wanting to mention it when they will be choosing college or something.

With the whole magic reset storyline, I was half expecting that DGB somehow turns to enemy and main 8 will be working against it. However, magic reset ended up with Tedd being offered work from Arthur. Which means we are returning to previous state of "whole EGS seems like main 8 will end up working for DGB".

I think Edward would object to any coercion of his son, but at the same time I can picture Edward himself putting pressure on Tedd to join DGB.  Or, actually, I could see him pressuring Tedd not to join, too, depends on how he sees the situation at the time.  But Edward would believe he knows what's best for his son, and that he knows how to 'convince' him to do 'the right thing' or 'what's best for him.'

Quote

Depends what actually is Mama Kitsune's opinion on Nanase working in DGB ... but yes, I think she's scary enough everyone would leave such decision on her.

Shouldn't they leave that decison to Nanase?

On 5/30/2019 at 11:41 AM, Don Edwards said:

They are in the latter half of the senior year of high school. The time to be choosing colleges is early in senior year - or earlier. Nanase probably has several letters in hand telling her that various colleges would welcome her. Several of the others likely have at least one such letter.

Just checked the University of Illinois web page.  Applications are filed from Sept 1 to Jan 5, "early action" due by Nov 1.  Notification comes in mid-Dec for early acton and early March for regular admission.  Honors programs and scholarships answer by April 1.

On 6/6/2019 at 5:03 AM, hkmaly said:

Is that even allowed in US? I mean, it's pretty normal in Europe, but from what I saw about US, commuting to college from home seems non-existent.

My dad was a professor of mathematics, so I grew up in the university town.  Freshmen are required to live in the dorms unless they live with family in town, so I could have lived at home, but chose to live in the dorms.  Actually, although it would have been my choice anyway, my mom said she wanted me to live in the dorms that first year, to get a little independence.  I can easily picture Elliott wanting to live at home, and his parents informing him he can't.  :-)

Quote

But, yes ... despite the fact that we all know somehow the main cast ends up in same college and likely living together, realistically, it should be taken into account that Dunkels and Diane are relatively poor while Susan is rich (and I suspect [V]erres would also be relatively rich, I don't think DGB pays that bad).

The Dunkels were given some sort of lottery windfall to pay for the extra expense of having Ellen.  I suspect that would have included a college fund.

Quote

... actually, wait: it's pretty realistic that Elliot and Ellen ends up living with someone else BECAUSE it will save money. I mean, it might require some mental gymnastics to make Dunkels not feel like taking advantage of someone, but still. They will definitely live together, because it cost less, they are used to it and face it, their interests are not so different they would opt for different colleges anyway. Unless you count Ellen's interest to have privacy with Nanase (and, presumably, Elliots with Ashley at that point).

The roommates I'd like most to see is Sarah and the college-student-persona Pandora. :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

I think Edward would object to any coercion of his son

Hence, "wouldn't object much".

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
Quote

Depends what actually is Mama Kitsune's opinion on Nanase working in DGB ... but yes, I think she's scary enough everyone would leave such decision on her.

Shouldn't they leave that decison to Nanase?

They should. However, I think it's not only decision which Mrs. Kitsune SHOULD leave to Nanase ... and didn't.

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
Quote

But, yes ... despite the fact that we all know somehow the main cast ends up in same college and likely living together, realistically, it should be taken into account that Dunkels and Diane are relatively poor while Susan is rich (and I suspect [V]erres would also be relatively rich, I don't think DGB pays that bad).

The Dunkels were given some sort of lottery windfall to pay for the extra expense of having Ellen.  I suspect that would have included a college fund.

Unless Arthur decides it was enough.

4 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
Quote

... actually, wait: it's pretty realistic that Elliot and Ellen ends up living with someone else BECAUSE it will save money. I mean, it might require some mental gymnastics to make Dunkels not feel like taking advantage of someone, but still. They will definitely live together, because it cost less, they are used to it and face it, their interests are not so different they would opt for different colleges anyway. Unless you count Ellen's interest to have privacy with Nanase (and, presumably, Elliots with Ashley at that point).

The roommates I'd like most to see is Sarah and the college-student-persona Pandora. :-)

I repeat that I find very unlikely Pandora would go through all the bureaucracy to became real official college student.

Now, living with Sarah and take part in all college activities except the actual teaching? Totally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

They should. However, I think it's not only decision which Mrs. Kitsune SHOULD leave to Nanase ... and didn't.

It does raise the question of what does Mama Kitsune think is best for Nanase?  Nanase believes her mom wants her to be a homemaker, despite demanding excellence in all fields of study. But when the subject of the Meddling Teenagers comes up, Mama Kistune doesn't try to force Nanase away from that path, in fact all she does is make sure Nanase is aware of the potential dangers her and Ellen might get into and even advises her to call Edward if they ever felt they were in trouble.

It's been known since Sister 2 that Mama Kistune is well aware of Nanase's magic developing and I've theorized that she's been trying to prepare Nanase to be able to fend for herself without letting Nanase know about Noriko (I'd say she's too late for that now), given that Noriko put her career as a monster hunter first, and Mama Kitsune didn't, I'm willing to guess it's more about the fact that Noriko might have felt obligated, that she needed to become a monster hunter because it was tradition. Nanase's doing what she does because she wants to, and that's probably a huge relief for Mama Kitsune because it's a sign that Nanase won't turn out like Noriko did, and in terms of the whole homemaker bit, while it probably suits Mama Kitsune fine (we haven't had any confirmation that she has a job) she probably picked it intentionally as a "throwaway job" so that when Nanase did rebel, it wouldn't be a big deal, and I get the feeling that Mama Kitsune wouldn't have been worried that Nanase would decide that the fast food industry would be a good place to work in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Scotty said:

It does raise the question of what does Mama Kitsune think is best for Nanase?

Yes. That's very complicated question indeed. Or rather, the question is simple, the answer is hard.

14 hours ago, Scotty said:

  Nanase believes her mom wants her to be a homemaker, despite demanding excellence in all fields of study. But when the subject of the Meddling Teenagers comes up, Mama Kistune doesn't try to force Nanase away from that path, in fact all she does is make sure Nanase is aware of the potential dangers her and Ellen might get into and even advises her to call Edward if they ever felt they were in trouble.

It's been known since Sister 2 that Mama Kistune is well aware of Nanase's magic developing and I've theorized that she's been trying to prepare Nanase to be able to fend for herself without letting Nanase know about Noriko (I'd say she's too late for that now), given that Noriko put her career as a monster hunter first, and Mama Kitsune didn't, I'm willing to guess it's more about the fact that Noriko might have felt obligated, that she needed to become a monster hunter because it was tradition. Nanase's doing what she does because she wants to, and that's probably a huge relief for Mama Kitsune because it's a sign that Nanase won't turn out like Noriko did

I think that you see it too simply. I think we should divide the question:
First, what Mrs. Kitsune WANTS Nanase to be?

I think this may easily be the homemaker. It's even possible she considers it more serious than others and really thinks martial arts and excellence in all fields of study are necessary. But that's not all.

Second question is what Mrs. Kitsune EXPECTS Nanase to be.

And that may be the key question. Mrs. Kitsune might fear that no matter what she will do, Nanase WILL became monster hunter, either because it's simply "in her blood", due to the relatives and friends she has, or because she finds out about Noriko and/or family history.

And all those preparations could easily be for this. Like, she won't do anything which could make Nanase became monster hunter, but she wants to prepare her so when she decides she will do it regardless, she will be GOOD monster hunter and not dead one.

Third question is ... hmmm, hard to put into words, let's say what Mrs. Kitsune will be satisfied with, or how angry would she be at Nanase's decisions.

She definitely don't agree with Noriko puting her career first, and I get a feeling she would be VERY disappointed if Nanase wouldn't have any children or abandons them as Noriko Tedd. I think that's her motivation for not accepting Ellen actually - she's not realizing Ellen and Nanase have several options how to have kids (despite probably technically knowing about them). On the other hand, I think she's glad that Nanase have someone she loves, because it hints at monster hunting not becaming her sole motivation.

On the other hand, I think she would be at least little disappointed if Nanase really turns into just homemaker. It would mean her effort was needless, it would also mean end of the tradition that she likely still considers hers. But it would also mean Nanase is safe. She would probably not admit it even to herself, but she wants her plan with homemaking to fail at least little.

I think that Mrs. Kitsune would be most satisfied if Nanase would get monster hunting as daily job and returns home to her children every day. Which may sound paradoxical - but dreams often are ...

14 hours ago, Scotty said:

and in terms of the whole homemaker bit, while it probably suits Mama Kitsune fine (we haven't had any confirmation that she has a job) she probably picked it intentionally as a "throwaway job" so that when Nanase did rebel, it wouldn't be a big deal, and I get the feeling that Mama Kitsune wouldn't have been worried that Nanase would decide that the fast food industry would be a good place to work in.

Well ... I think that if Mrs. Kitsune would hear Nanase decided to work in fast food industry, she would be worried Nanase got so good at lying and hiding she actually managed to keep her true career secret from her.

I mean, Noriko is a travel agent right? ... and Mr. Dunkel is accountant? And she's staying at home right?

(... but hey, at least it means her teaching Nanase how to hide stuff was success. I mean, she surely teaches that as well as possible.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think this may easily be the homemaker. It's even possible she considers it more serious than others and really thinks martial arts and excellence in all fields of study are necessary. But that's not all.

Mama Kitsune can ACT like that's what she wants Nanase to be, but not really want that though.

10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She definitely don't agree with Noriko puting her career first, and I get a feeling she would be VERY disappointed if Nanase wouldn't have any children or abandons them as Noriko Tedd. I think that's her motivation for not accepting Ellen actually - she's not realizing Ellen and Nanase have several options how to have kids (despite probably technically knowing about them). On the other hand, I think she's glad that Nanase have someone she loves, because it hints at monster hunting not becaming her sole motivation.

I get the feeling the Mama Kitsune is fully aware of what goes in in Nanase's life, I think she knows exactly why Nanase ended up skipping classes that one day, and why Nanase had to spend the night at Tedd's house. Edward would have told her about that because he would have felt obligated to make sure his sister in law was kept in the loop, they probably even planned for the eventuality. Her saying that Nanase could ask Edward for help is telling that she knows that Edward's already been involved in Nanase's development and that she trusts Edward to do his best to help. And as for kids, even if Mama Kitsune isn't aware of Tedd having a TFG, she's likely aware that magic would also be an alternative and that her displays of homophobia are probably just part of the act.

If you think about it, we had the Dunkel parents who are unusually accepting of the things that Elliot (and subsequently Ellen) have gotten into, Nanase found it strange that they were really good at organizing the search party and shocked that Ellen didn't know exactly what her father did for a living, now, while Elliot and Ellen were probably never going to question their parents behavior, Nanase probably would have if her mom easily accepted what Nanase did in her free time. But the act of having expectations for Nanase to grow up to have a traditional job (homemaker in this case) and have a traditional family, and maintaining that for how ever many years, would put Nanase in the belief that her mom doesn't know anything. Of course the Not_Tengu incident has made her question what her mom knows because how could her mom not know that her sister became a monster hunter, and that her family lineage is also full of magic users .

45 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well ... I think that if Mrs. Kitsune would hear Nanase decided to work in fast food industry, she would be worried Nanase got so good at lying and hiding she actually managed to keep her true career secret from her.

I mean, Noriko is a travel agent right? ... and Mr. Dunkel is accountant? And she's staying at home right?

(... but hey, at least it means her teaching Nanase how to hide stuff was success. I mean, she surely teaches that as well as possible.)

I kinda already touched on that above, but Noriko being a travel agent was likely made up by Edward as an excuse for Noriko being too busy to see Tedd, whereas I don't even think Ellen, or Elliot for that matter, has ever asked their dad what he does for a living and is probably just taking a guess at it.

 

Speaking of honesty though, I think Mama Kitsune was genuinely surprised at Nanase's statement of the conditions of which she'd drink alcohol, I don't doubt that her initial "what" wasn't part of the act, Nanase's only 18 after all and underaged drinking is a big deal and I can't fault Mama Kitsune for being concerned about Nanase's safety if alcohol and strangers were involved, so that whole exchange was probably 100% act free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I said this before, but I can not remember where.

Mrs Kitsune knows her family history, what happened to Noriko, and more than enough about Nanase's exploits and abilities (despite how well Nanase thinks she is hiding everything).

The mystical world has already touched Nanase.  The elder Kitsune daughter is growing in magical and martial prowess.

And this has happened with Mrs Kitsune's tacit approval.

Then why feign unawareness?  Why the big act?

To give Nanase the one thing Noriko did not have (or would not use).

A way out.

Nanase's family heritage and Anime Style Martial Arts training had nearly awakened her long before her first meeting with Les Immortels.  Even if Mrs Kitsune couldn't gauge the specifics herself, she had to be aware of the potential.  And any brief meeting involving Uncle Edward could have filled in plenty of details.

The Hocus-Pocus Highway is easy to enter.  But if you want to get anywhere at all it will quickly force you to go too far and much too fast.   The safe off-ramps are hidden, or non-existent.  You are far more likely to end up on an "Authorized Use Only" lane, that is Strong Armed into government service.  Or led on to a hazardous route, like obsessive battle mage Alternate Ellen.  Or stuck in a deadly neighborhood like Not-Tengu.  Or perhaps end up in a head-on collision as an Aberration.

Nanase's mother is aware of the route her daughter has begun to travel.  By keeping one of Nanase's wheels on a Mundane shoulder, Mrs Kitsune hopes to make her daughter's journey safer, or at least give her a safe way off that path.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think this may easily be the homemaker. It's even possible she considers it more serious than others and really thinks martial arts and excellence in all fields of study are necessary. But that's not all.

Mama Kitsune can ACT like that's what she wants Nanase to be, but not really want that though.

Of course that's also possible.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

I get the feeling the Mama Kitsune is fully aware of what goes in in Nanase's life, I think she knows exactly why Nanase ended up skipping classes that one day, and why Nanase had to spend the night at Tedd's house. Edward would have told her about that because he would have felt obligated to make sure his sister in law was kept in the loop, they probably even planned for the eventuality.

I'm not sure what could they planned but yes, I agree that Edward is keeping her in loop, and not just Edward. I actually suspect she has access to Nanase DGB file, although I'm not sure how.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

And as for kids, even if Mama Kitsune isn't aware of Tedd having a TFG, she's likely aware that magic would also be an alternative and that her displays of homophobia are probably just part of the act.

As I said, even if she's aware of the options (I consider quite likely she knows at least some, although she may not know about Uryuom eggs for example), she may not realize that yes, those can be used to have kids and that Ellen already though about it. Note that Nanase herself knows as much as Ellen but didn't realized it.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

I kinda already touched on that above, but Noriko being a travel agent was likely made up by Edward as an excuse for Noriko being too busy to see Tedd, whereas I don't even think Ellen, or Elliot for that matter, has ever asked their dad what he does for a living and is probably just taking a guess at it.

It might been made up by Edward, but it can also easily be her official occupation.

Meanwhile, the "accountant" was guess, but likely based on something their dad said sometime, or possibly based on fact he's busy around the time taxes are being done, or something like that. I would assume he's working in office somewhere ... but that office may easily be some three letter agency headquarters where he's preparing tactical analysis for people in field.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Speaking of honesty though, I think Mama Kitsune was genuinely surprised at Nanase's statement of the conditions of which she'd drink alcohol, I don't doubt that her initial "what" wasn't part of the act, Nanase's only 18 after all and underaged drinking is a big deal and I can't fault Mama Kitsune for being concerned about Nanase's safety if alcohol and strangers were involved, so that whole exchange was probably 100% act free.

Probably. Including the part that she's really surprised how honest she became and starts to worry either what that means and if it's going to be problem in her future job ... or if it means she's not actually honest but got very good at faking it.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

I believe I said this before, but I can not remember where.

I believe that too. This is not first time we talk about Mrs. Kitsune.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Nanase's family heritage and Anime Style Martial Arts training had nearly awakened her long before her first meeting with Les Immortels.  Even if Mrs Kitsune couldn't gauge the specifics herself, she had to be aware of the potential.  And any brief meeting involving Uncle Edward could have filled in plenty of details.

The Hocus-Pocus Highway is easy to enter.  But if you want to get anywhere at all it will quickly force you to go too far and much too fast.   The safe off-ramps are hidden, or non-existent.

That's not really true ... EXCEPT for Nanase. For most people, getting magic is hard ... but Nanase has exceptional talent ("royal" level as Andrea said) and therefore for her it's easy to get very powerful.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

You are far more likely to end up on an "Authorized Use Only" lane, that is Strong Armed into government service.  Or led on to a hazardous route, like obsessive battle mage Alternate Ellen.  Or stuck in a deadly neighborhood like Not-Tengu.  Or perhaps end up in a head-on collision as an Aberration.

I don't think there is any "authorized use only" in EGS. Seems that government employee or not, you are free to use your magic for personal purposes as long as it doesn't endanger the secrecy.

But that doesn't change the fact that yes, for strong magic users like Nanase would be hard to lead mundane life.

5 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Nanase's mother is aware of the route her daughter has begun to travel.  By keeping one of Nanase's wheels on a Mundane shoulder, Mrs Kitsune hopes to make her daughter's journey safer, or at least give her a safe way off that path.

I don't think it would help her to get off ... but it makes sense it will make the journey safer, by delaying her until she's ready.

On the other hand, Mrs. Kitsune managed to get off. Mostly. If we don't count she's still having connections inside DGB and may be on several lists of agents to activate in case of unexpected problems.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Meanwhile, the "accountant" was guess, but likely based on something their dad said sometime, or possibly based on fact he's busy around the time taxes are being done, or something like that. I would assume he's working in office somewhere ... but that office may easily be some three letter agency headquarters where he's preparing tactical analysis for people in field.

It'd be easy enough to guess if Mr Dunkel comes home occasionally and Mrs. Dunkel is like "long day at the office?" and Mr Dunkel responds with "Yeah, had a bunch of reports to go through" Mr Dunkel would likely be talking about after action reports and case files from what I assume would be DGB equivalent work (if not working at the paranormal division then something that's as secretive) and Elliot and Ellen would assume it's actual office work like accounting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Meanwhile, the "accountant" was guess, but likely based on something their dad said sometime, or possibly based on fact he's busy around the time taxes are being done, or something like that. I would assume he's working in office somewhere ... but that office may easily be some three letter agency headquarters where he's preparing tactical analysis for people in field.

It'd be easy enough to guess if Mr Dunkel comes home occasionally and Mrs. Dunkel is like "long day at the office?" and Mr Dunkel responds with "Yeah, had a bunch of reports to go through" Mr Dunkel would likely be talking about after action reports and case files from what I assume would be DGB equivalent work (if not working at the paranormal division then something that's as secretive) and Elliot and Ellen would assume it's actual office work like accounting.

Yes, something like that. He can be talking about general stuff like "reports", "cases", "files", ... which can have meaning in accounting OR in more secret work. Note that I don't think he's working in DGB - remember that when Edward met them after Ellen's creation, he was surprised how casually they took it. If they would be working in DGB, he would know about it and assumed that's the reason. He may however work in some other secret agency - possibly mundane one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this