• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ChronosCat

NP Wednesday May 29 2019

http://egscomics.com/egsnp/fantasywasteland-23

For those who haven't heard, there's no story comic today, as Dan has been preoccupied trying to get his internet working again (NP was all set to go before his internet went down).

Spoilers for the comic below:

The only time I've run into a problem like this before was in an adult game, and it was the player character so it was easy enough to fix... once I felt like it.

Also, I have to say I'm surprised Dan posted something so risque on the main site. I mean he's shown or implied more skin before, but still he's been in a more modest phase recently...

I see the plan to use as much charm magic as possible didn't went well.

Grace, you would be more effective if you would actually LOOK at your target.

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

For those who haven't heard, there's no story comic today, as Dan has been preoccupied trying to get his internet working again (NP was all set to go before his internet went down).

How do you know? Did he send you a pigeon?

... oh, wait, it was different kind of bird.

The only time I've run into a problem like this before was in an adult game, and it was the player character so it was easy enough to fix... once I felt like it.

Adult game? Wasn't that deliberate? :)

This is something which makes lot of sense from programming perspective but it gets totally WTF when you see the result. I mean, the worst cases could likely be prevented by dividing the companion outfit into pieces, but even then, clothes don't map nicely on slots. You slot every piece as it makes sense ... and then someone combines things you didn't though about and the character ends up almost naked.

... that is, if you actually assume the programmers/stuff designers care. I would be more the kind of programmer who totally plant pieces of clothes which would allow that deliberately.

Also, I have to say I'm surprised Dan posted something so risque on the main site. I mean he's shown or implied more skin before, but still he's been in a more modest phase recently...

Maybe his modest phase finally ended?

Or, more likely, he considered making this joke more important than his phase.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

How do you know? Did he send you a pigeon?

... oh, wait, it was different kind of bird.

You got me, it had nothing to do with time travel or any form of non-electronic communication.

(I almost mentioned my source, but I was tired and didn't feel like saying more than I had to.)

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Adult game? Wasn't that deliberate? :)

Kind of?

There were actually two situations where stuff similar to what Dan's talking about occurred.

First of all, there was skimpy clothing that took up more clothing slots than necessary, or which logically in real life you could wear alongside more modest fare but couldn't in the game. This was clearly deliberate, though personally I would have preferred a greater level of choice regarding the PC outfits. (It still beats all the games I grew up with where you can't change the PC's outfit at all.)

Second was cases where you start out fully clothed, switch one article with an article that takes up multiple slots, then switch back to the original article to find all the other slots the second article covered are now bare. This seems like a natural result of having clothing that takes up multiple slots, so I don't think it was a deliberate attempt to be sexy. This situation also seems to be basically the same thing as Dan was describing, except that it's on the main character instead of a companion.

(Frankly the fact that it was an adult game is mostly irrelevant to my point, I just felt like justifying why I wasn't naming the game.)

10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

They're still technically wearing clothes, and there's no sexual context so that can easily justify Dan being comfortable with showing this, and this is exactly what people see when playing Fallout 4 (unless they modded it to be more revealing, which there are probably too many mods made that do that sort of thing, for any game really).

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Grace, you would be more effective if you would actually LOOK at your target.

Considering the raider she's fighting isn't able to fight back, I'd say she's doing well enough even if it's unorthodox.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:
18 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

They're still technically wearing clothes, and there's no sexual context so that can easily justify Dan being comfortable with showing this, and this is exactly what people see when playing Fallout 4 (unless they modded it to be more revealing, which there are probably too many mods made that do that sort of thing, for any game really).

And there aren't hard to find. And there seem to be some differences between them ... and wasn't actually Dan talking about modding some Fallout?

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... and wasn't actually Dan talking about modding some Fallout?

As far as I can tell. everything he's shown in the story so far has been fairly true for unmodded Fallout or Elder Scrolls games, he did mention before having turned off quest markers, but I don't think that's a mod, I'd never really bothered to see if I could.

Sure, Dan has modded the games in question on occasion, but if he started using those examples in the story, it'd go from "people who have played these game will know what I'm talking about" to "people who have played these games with these specific mods will know what I'm talking about" and I suspect that the latter would have a great deal less numbers than the former, especially when you consider that mods can have the potential to add glitches that not everyone will see, like I have a bunch of mods for Skyrim, and I don't know what mod is causing it because it only happens occasionally, but every now and then I'll enter a town, and a random NPC will fall from the sky and die. or there was a case of Maven Blackbriar just randomly becoming hostile and attacking everyone in Riften, she's an essential NPC and therefore unkillable, so the guards would knock her out, and there'd be peace for about a minute until she woke up and started attacking people again. Had to do some console trickery to reset her aggression level.

On 5/30/2019 at 0:24 PM, Scotty said:

Sure, Dan has modded the games in question on occasion, but if he started using those examples in the story, it'd go from "people who have played these game will know what I'm talking about" to "people who have played these games with these specific mods will know what I'm talking about" and I suspect that the latter would have a great deal less numbers than the former

I wasn't saying he used those examples in story. I agree that it would only make sense for very popular mods.

I think he was talking about it in comics commentary though (besides twitter etc).