• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Friday, May 31, 2018

When my dad went to Scotland, someone sold him a fancy list supposedly documenting his ancestors back to the Middle Ages.
He showed me this list when I was eight, and I thought it was a priceless link to my royal heritage.
In High School, when I read The Scottish Play by Bacon, I noticed that many of the characters in the tragedy had the same names as my ancestors.
It didn't occur to me until much later that someone sold my dad a fancy list they filled in with names from Scottish history and a theatre programe.

Justin is not the only one who failed to recognize something that was obvious to everyone else for years.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

http://egscomics.com/comic/party-019

Also Unnamed Male Student.

I'm pretty certain Dan's had him in the background before, though I can't find any other examples, closest I can come up with is that he's possibly related to one of the janitors.

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Apparently Justin is also not the only one who likes to watch...

You mean Susan isn't the only one? Though I'd say that Justin's reaction is related to him finally seeing the resemblance between Diane and Susan, Diane acted too much like Susan in the previous page which is what tipped off Justin, and it was too much for him, Diane acting goofy in love was not Susan-like behaviour and made things right again in Justin's mind.

Edit: Dan confirms: 

I DID said that they should be more careful about what they are talking about in school.

Although I suspect if the unnamed guy will ask around, he would be able to confirm Nanase has magic quite easily.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Apparently Justin is also not the only one who likes to watch...

You mean Susan isn't the only one? Though I'd say that Justin's reaction is related to him finally seeing the resemblance between Diane and Susan, Diane acted too much like Susan in the previous page which is what tipped off Justin, and it was too much for him, Diane acting goofy in love was not Susan-like behaviour and made things right again in Justin's mind.

Edit: Dan confirms: 

Might be less "goofy in love" and more specifically the giggle which is totally non-Susan-like.

Also note that on previous page, Diane had the half-closed eyes just like Susan used to have all the time since Paris.

17 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

When my dad went to Scotland, someone sold him a fancy list supposedly documenting his ancestors back to the Middle Ages.
He showed me this list when I was eight, and I thought it was a priceless link to my royal heritage.
In High School, when I read The Scottish Play by Bacon, I noticed that many of the characters in the tragedy had the same names as my ancestors.
It didn't occur to me until much later that someone sold my dad a fancy list they filled in with names from Scottish history and a theatre programe.

To be fair, it's definitely possible that you have actual royal heritage. It just wouldn't be so easy to confirm it, especially without DNA tests.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Might be less "goofy in love" and more specifically the giggle which is totally non-Susan-like.

I don't think Diane's every giggled like that before so I can't guage it, but considering her body language along with the dialog preceding the giggle, I think "goofy in love" is appropriate, she's getting giddy with a side of embarrassment about being seen kissing Lucy in public.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Also note that on previous page, Diane had the half-closed eyes just like Susan used to have all the time since Paris.

Note how Justin's already got a surprised look when Diane starts giving detailed reasons why bowling is a good date choice, sure, that could be surprise like "she's right! those are good reasons" but that could also be because Susan would also go into such detail when asked for opinions. Also, remember, Justin's view of Diane hadn't been very positive until recently.

27 minutes ago, Scotty said:
56 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Note how Justin's already got a surprised look when Diane starts giving detailed reasons why bowling is a good date choice, sure, that could be surprise like "she's right! those are good reasons" but that could also be because Susan would also go into such detail when asked for opinions. Also, remember, Justin's view of Diane hadn't been very positive until recently.

I actually suspect that there was a little reverse timeskip there, that the three panels with Justin happens WHILE Diane explains.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I actually suspect that there was a little reverse timeskip there, that the three panels with Justin happens WHILE Diane explains.

The fact that Diane asks "Really? My going on a date with Lucy is that shocking to you?" strongly implies that she saw his face go that way right after she mentioned the date with Lucy, not before she mentioned it.

On 6/1/2019 at 1:40 AM, Scotty said:
On 6/1/2019 at 1:36 AM, hkmaly said:

The fact that Diane asks "Really? My going on a date with Lucy is that shocking to you?" strongly implies that she saw his face go that way right after she mentioned the date with Lucy, not before she mentioned it.

That she NOTICED his face go that way ... but ok, it's true she's observant, so let's say that those three panels happened in same time as LAST panel on previous page, which may STILL make Diane thinks it's about Lucy and yet makes more sense than Justin waiting with that face so long.

(Technically, in the first panel he's still not VISIBLY surprised so that could happened even before that ...)

14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

That she NOTICED his face go that way ... but ok, it's true she's observant, so let's say that those three panels happened in same time as LAST panel on previous page, which may STILL make Diane thinks it's about Lucy and yet makes more sense than Justin waiting with that face so long.

(Technically, in the first panel he's still not VISIBLY surprised so that could happened even before that ...)

There is this in the commentary as well:

I realized that Justin wouldn't be able to help but finally see the resemblance after seeing Diane explain something in a manner that would remind him of Susan.

"After seeing Diane explain"  It makes much more sense, not only in the flow if dialog, but even in the visuals for Justin have that look following what Diane says because in the previous page, Justin has the same expression in the last panel as he does in panel 4, it'd make much more sense that Justin was stunned for the time that Diane was speaking, and then it sunk in that the resemblance was there.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

in the visuals for Justin have that look following what Diane says because in the previous page, Justin has the same expression in the last panel as he does in panel 4, it'd make much more sense that Justin was stunned for the time that Diane was speaking, and then it sunk in that the resemblance was there.

There could be enough text for several seconds in single panel but just one expression. You're right that this confirms it didn't happened before, but I think it could still happen during the final panel.