• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Monday, Jun 3, 2019

http://egscomics.com/egsnp/fantasywasteland-25

... Sarah dispelled all that with single wand? Was it just single transformation after all? Or is this special "dispel everything" wand and she's actually testing if it's capable of undoing multiple transformation at once? Is Dan aware that we are going to speculate about what he might consider random background?

Aren't there any games where companions become incapacitated until you use consumable item to heal them? I see in Fallout 4, it works how Dan described ...

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

...Sarah dispelled all that with single wand? Was it just single transformation after all? Or is this special "dispel everything" wand and she's actually testing if it's capable of undoing multiple transformation at once? Is Dan aware that we are going to speculate about what he might consider random background?

If it's her own personal "Sarah" preset wand, possibly pass-thought protected with "I am Sarah Brown", it might just be a permanent transformation to "Sarah Brown age 18", which would be perfect for cleaning up any details that might be missed when using a long string of reverse transformations.

27 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

http://egscomics.com/egsnp/fantasywasteland-25

... Sarah dispelled all that with single wand? Was it just single transformation after all? Or is this special "dispel everything" wand and she's actually testing if it's capable of undoing multiple transformation at once? Is Dan aware that we are going to speculate about what he might consider random background?

Yeah, looks like Sarah's used the wand this whole time, it's quite possible Tedd made the wand based on Elliot's morph spell that lets him make any girl form he imagines. That might allow Sarah to do what she did? I dunno.

29 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Aren't there any games where companions become incapacitated until you use consumable item to heal them? I see in Fallout 4, it works how Dan described ...

Skyrim also let's you heal a companion if you have a "healing hands" spell. Otherwise they'll take a minute before healing themselves.

Yay for symbolic speed-lines background in panel two!

9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure if it counts as "companions" since you usually have just as much control over them as the character(s) you started with, but in most classic-style JRPGs when one of your party members dies in battle, they stay dead until either a revive spell is cast on them, or the battle ends (in some games even after the battle ends you need to use a revive spell on them).

17 hours ago, Haylo said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

...Sarah dispelled all that with single wand? Was it just single transformation after all? Or is this special "dispel everything" wand and she's actually testing if it's capable of undoing multiple transformation at once? Is Dan aware that we are going to speculate about what he might consider random background?

If it's her own personal "Sarah" preset wand, possibly pass-thought protected with "I am Sarah Brown", it might just be a permanent transformation to "Sarah Brown age 18", which would be perfect for cleaning up any details that might be missed when using a long string of reverse transformations.

First, no, I don't think Tedd will be actually creating wands with permanent transformations yet.

Second, no, it wouldn't be perfect for cleaning up. I mean, sure, it wouldn't end this bad with EGS transformation convenience, but "painting" transformation over others is not the same as reversing all of them. One possibility would be, with multiple transformations each timing out at different times, that some part of longer-term transformation will re-appear when shorter-term transformation ends (note however that those transformations might link instead like it happened with Rhoda). Another would be that the active-although-not-doing-anything enchantment will interfere with OTHER transformation you cast later.

Of course, IF she needs to leave and talk with someone who is not supposed to know she can transform, it would make sense for her to use transformation forcing her to her default form. However that one doesn't even need to be permanent: it just needs to last longer than all the transformations she experimented with (which are, presumably, not permanent). And it doesn't need to be perfect, it's sufficient that it lowers chance of problems.

17 hours ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, looks like Sarah's used the wand this whole time, it's quite possible Tedd made the wand based on Elliot's morph spell that lets him make any girl form he imagines. That might allow Sarah to do what she did? I dunno.

Considering the fiasco with dynamic height change? ... actually makes sense. I mean, the way Sarah looked, it is very believable the wand didn't do exactly what Sarah wanted.

14 hours ago, ChronosCat said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure if it counts as "companions" since you usually have just as much control over them as the character(s) you started with, but in most classic-style JRPGs when one of your party members dies in battle, they stay dead until either a revive spell is cast on them, or the battle ends (in some games even after the battle ends you need to use a revive spell on them).

I was specifically asking for the "even after the battle ends you need to use a revive spell on them" ones.

16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I was specifically asking for the "even after the battle ends you need to use a revive spell on them" ones.

Mainly talking old games 'cause that's what I know...

Dragon Quest/Warrior 2 & 3 is the first thing to come to mind (there are no companions in 1, and I haven't played any past 3 yet). Not only do they stay dead after the battle ends, but you don't get the revive spells and items until well into the games; up to that point when one of your party dies you must lug around their coffin until you make it back to a town with a church (where they will revive the party member for a price).

Another example would be the Pokemon games (or at least the first couple generations, which are the only ones I'm familiar with), where once a Pokemon is knocked out, you need to take them to a PokeCenter to revive them.

Also, in the Final Fantasy series, while characters that run out of HP automatically revive after a battle (I think in-universe it's supposed to be just being knocked out, not killed), some status effects don't go away. At least in some games in the series petrification and paralysis are among those lasting status effects, meaning those can sideline a character more effectively than running out of HP!

I'm pretty sure I've played other games that require you to revive companions, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:25 PM, ChronosCat said:

Another example would be the Pokemon games (or at least the first couple generations, which are the only ones I'm familiar with), where once a Pokemon is knocked out, you need to take them to a PokeCenter to revive them.

... true, I didn't realized it because it's weird thinking about pokemons as companions but this would count as same mechanics.

Didn't played the rest of them so thanks for examples.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:25 PM, ChronosCat said:

you must lug around their coffin until you make it back to a town

... wait, coffins? Someone actually made a representation of them being still with you? Does the coffin counts as inventory item lowering you carrying capacity or is that supposed to be coffin with all-terain wheels you drag after you? (That would definitely be simpler than dragging dead body.)

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... wait, coffins? Someone actually made a representation of them being still with you? Does the coffin counts as inventory item lowering you carrying capacity or is that supposed to be coffin with all-terain wheels you drag after you? (That would definitely be simpler than dragging dead body.)

In the Dragon Quest series (or at least the firs three), outside of battle your entire party is shown as separate sprites following behind you; when a party member dies, their sprite is replaced with a coffin. It's not actually shown how you're moving the coffin, for all I know it's supposed to be magically gliding along.

...Also, I've been thinking about it and remembered that in the first Final Fantasy, you also need to manually revive your characters after they're knocked out (though in this case they aren't shown outside of battle). That actually played into one of my most memorable experiences playing it, when I traveled too deep into one dungeon (Gurgu Volcano) before I was ready, and then had to make a long dangerous trip back out, my healing magic and items slowly running out along the way; even as I got close to to the exit my party members started falling, and the last character just barely made it out alive.