• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ChronosCat

NP Wednesday Jun 5 2019

http://egscomics.com/egsnp/fantasywasteland-26

What, no one who's been to the forums so far today had anything to say about this strip?

Anyway, spoilers for the comic below.

I imagine such clothing morphing would be annoying both from the perspective of "realism" and feminism. I can't recall off the top of my head playing a game with clothing changes that extreme before (though I have certainly seen their ability to resize to different body types before)... At least not unless you want to count all the games where no matter what clothing or armor the character is supposedly wearing their appearance on-screen never changes.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Hide contents

I imagine such clothing morphing would be annoying both from the perspective of "realism" and feminism. I can't recall off the top of my head playing a game with clothing changes that extreme before (though I have certainly seen their ability to resize to different body types before)... At least not unless you want to count all the games where no matter what clothing or armor the character is supposedly wearing their appearance on-screen never changes.

Having armor resize to bit isn't too bad really, it's odd because it realistically doesn't make sense, you pull a set of size 13 boots off a guy and they instantly fit a size 8 foot, if the appearance of the armor stays relatively the same, it's not that big of a deal.

It's when you get armor that only vaguely look similar between body types (and sex) that it really gets into "that's not how clothes work!" territory, for example:

Bloodfist.jpg

Same armor set (Bloodfist set from World of Warcraft) with about the only things similar about them is the colour scheme and the pauldrons.

14 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

What, no one who's been to the forums so far today had anything to say about this strip?

I'm sorry I just didn't have any time to comment yesterday.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

Having armor resize to bit isn't too bad really, it's odd because it realistically doesn't make sense, you pull a set of size 13 boots off a guy and they instantly fit a size 8 foot, if the appearance of the armor stays relatively the same, it's not that big of a deal.

It's not realistic but it's necessary: the ability to use items you get from dead enemies is important game mechanics. Realistically, you just CANT use any armor you happen to find in dungeon without spending lot of time modifying it to fit ... and that's not even taking into account magical armors which would likely be impossible to modify. On the other hand, magical armor can realistically claim auto-fitting to be part of the spell.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:

It's when you get armor that only vaguely look similar between body types (and sex) that it really gets into "that's not how clothes work!" territory, for example:

This, meanwhile, doesn't make it less realistic, but it's the anti-feminism part. Actually, the female armor design in most games is bad by itself even completely ignoring it's supposed to be same armor as the male one ; at least the Grace in comics doesn't have the classical "the armor is shaped with visible boobs so any attack at you from front will be directed to middle of your body" nor any skin on torso showing (there is skin on arms but the armor seems to not contain any arm coverage, that's likely separate due to it being different slot).

Sure, given the lack of feminists in-universe in most fantasy settings and natural preference for looking pretty most woman have, SOME differences are to be expected, but unless the armor is completely ceremonial - or so heavily magical it's physical protection doesn't need to be more than symbolic - it's not going to be at the expense of functionality. I would expect, for example, that the effect of separate boobs would be done with paint and other strictly visual effects.

... actually, looking at your example, I'm pretty sure skin showing would be bad idea even for the male version of the armor. First, there is the "face must be visible so let's throw away the helmet", second, it's bad idea to put metal directly on skin, so any armor would feature a leather layer which would cover even joints.

(Also, there is that oversized pauldron which seems to levitate above shoulder ... IS that armor supposed to be magical?)

Just now, hkmaly said:

First, there is the "face must be visible so let's throw away the helmet"

There is a helmet for the set, there's also an option to not show helmets in game too, I wonder why someone would do that though?

158719.jpg

That's why. ;)

Yeah it realistically looks like a proper helmet, covers the head well and such, but it is UUUUUUGLY.

Just now, hkmaly said:

second, it's bad idea to put metal directly on skin, so any armor would feature a leather layer which would cover even joints.

I imagine their idea is that there is padding underneath the plates, but it's tailored soo well that it isn't visible. but yeah, it'd make more sense visually if there was at least some cloth or something covering the rest of the body.

Just now, hkmaly said:

(Also, there is that oversized pauldron which seems to levitate above shoulder ... IS that armor supposed to be magical?)

WoW has some weird fascination with shoulderpads, I remember seeing some comics make jokes about shoulderpads in many games being ridiculously elaborate.

If you thought the ones in the earlier example were ridiculous, then you need to see these (also from WoW):

transmogrification-paladin-pve-tier-1.jp

Affectionately called "Banana Shoulders", they looked like they could harm the wearer if they tried to T-pose.