• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

Story, Friday June 7, 2019

http://egscomics.com/comic/party-022

So, I may have just tweeted Dan about possibly making a patreon milestone of Vampire Sarah seducing Liz because of this.

Also, I'm now wondering if Liz's fantasies about mind control is what Pandora saw back in Marker, there's no confirmation that Pandora ever got to marking Liz, and it's been like 3 months since then so if Liz was marked, she must have used the spell by now, and has done a good job at keeping quiet about it.

• 19 minutes ago, Scotty said:

...it's been like 3 months since then so if Liz was marked, she must have used the spell by now, and has done a good job at keeping quiet about it.

Considering what Liz said about stabbing a vampire in the heart, minimum, perhaps Liz hasn't used her spell because she hasn't met any vampires to use it on. 

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:
  • Considering what Liz said about stabbing a vampire in the heart, minimum, perhaps Liz hasn't used her spell because she hasn't met any vampires to use it on. 

I love the idea of a Moperville chapter of the association of unemployed vampire hunters (thanks to Pandora).

Just now, Tom Sewell said:
  • Considering what Liz said about stabbing a vampire in the heart, minimum, perhaps Liz hasn't used her spell because she hasn't met any vampires to use it on. 

that's unrelated really, cus the fantasy she spoke of was about being mind controlled by a vampire, she could have had other fantasies where she was the one doing the controlling.

But yeah, maybe Pandora sensed vampire hunting related spells....but then that would suggest that Liz might be related to Pandora, did Pandora suspect that aberrations were going to converge onto Moperville in the future? I don't think she would have guessed that Magus and Sirleck would entice aberrations to distract Helena and Demetrius, although Andrea had been kept in Moperville and killed 6 aberrations (fought a 7th but Tara got the kill) over the course of a few months and Andrea approaching Elliot must have happened before Marker took place right? So maybe Pandora knew that the increased magic in Moperville was drawing the attention of monsters and such, and was like "well she can't transform people for me, but chances are she might end up fighting a monster in public, which will also work to my plans."

Some religions, philosophies, or moralities would contend that the desire to do something evil is itself a sin just as great as actually performing the evil act.

Ashley reminds me of the adolescent confessing to having "Impure Thoughts" for the first time.

48 minutes ago, Scotty said:

that's unrelated really, cus the fantasy she spoke of was about being mind controlled by a vampire, she could have had other fantasies where she was the one doing the controlling.

Maybe not. Dan didn't specify what spell Pandora could give her a spell that was "Not what I was looking for, but there are many ways it could wind up helping." Now if Pandora gave Good Tom a spell to sense puppies in danger, the spell she was thinking about should be significantly more useful than that.

Also, when Dan wrote that nearly three years ago, I kinda suspect he didn't have a specific spell in mind. That way he could give Liz a useful and appropriate spell later.

And Liz having a spell now seems appropriate to me, because the real problem is that Ashley is keeping the secret of magic from Liz. This is something that could end their friendship. I think this comic is short at least one panel because Dan should have shown  Ashley reacting more to Liz bringing up her fantasy of a mind-controlling vampire--which is exactly what Sirleck was.

Edited by Tom Sewell
Added reference link

Liz, I'm pretty sure that if a vampire tried to mesmerise you, you would get mesmerized and get used by him and likely die. Unless you have lot of magic training your defense is effectively zero.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

So, I may have just tweeted Dan about possibly making a patreon milestone of Vampire Sarah seducing Liz because of this.

Good idea.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
2 hours ago, Scotty said:

...it's been like 3 months since then so if Liz was marked, she must have used the spell by now, and has done a good job at keeping quiet about it.

Considering what Liz said about stabbing a vampire in the heart, minimum, perhaps Liz hasn't used her spell because she hasn't met any vampires to use it on. 

There is definitely possibility she got spell she either can't use or won't notice anything happening when she uses it unless there are special circumstances.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

maybe Pandora sensed vampire hunting related spells....but then that would suggest that Liz might be related to Pandora

No it wouldn't. Having actual talent for something is different from having the yearning which also allows immortal to mark you.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

did Pandora suspect that aberrations were going to converge onto Moperville in the future?

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

So maybe Pandora knew that the increased magic in Moperville was drawing the attention of monsters and such

Not only at that time monsters were already being drawn in the area, I would totally expect Pandora DID saw it in future.

53 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

And Liz having a spell now seems appropriate to me, because the real problem is that Ashley is keeping the secret of magic from Liz. This is something that could end their friendship. I think this comic is short at least one panel because Dan should have shown  Ashley reacting more to Liz bringing up her fantasy of a mind-controlling vampire--which is exactly what Sirleck was.

Well, yes, however it seems Ashley found at least SOMETHING she can share with Liz. Maybe she will get better with it and manages to save the friendship with indirect questions? Like, maybe after the party she can talk about something that happened and pretend it was a fantasy they wrote with Elliot. ... I suspect she's not good enough liar for that, but maybe she will surprise me.

Also, yes. Sirleck wasn't typical vampire, however he WAS introduced as vampire to Ashley ... AND she even has experience with being mind-controlled, sort of.

Note however that Liz having magic wouldn't automatically make her someone Ashley can freely talk with. It WOULD make more likely she will be allowed to say at least something, though.

Maybe not. Dan didn't specify what spell Pandora could give her a spell that was "Not what I was looking for, but there are many ways it could wind up helping." Now if Pandora gave Good Tom a spell to sense puppies in danger, the spell she was thinking about should be significantly more useful than that.

Also, when Dan wrote that nearly three years ago, I kinda suspect he didn't have a specific spell in mind. That way he could give Liz a useful and appropriate spell later.

I don't think Dan would have even teased us with the possibility of Liz being marked if he didn't know what she should be marked with.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

No it wouldn't. Having actual talent for something is different from having the yearning which also allows immortal to mark you.

Pandora was able to mark Sarah with a spell she was born with the affinity for. Pandora could have sensed an affinity.

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I don't think Dan would have even teased us with the possibility of Liz being marked if he didn't know what she should be marked with.

At least roughly. It's possible he will need to finish the details.

13 minutes ago, Scotty said:
26 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Pandora was able to mark Sarah with a spell she was born with the affinity for. Pandora could have sensed an affinity.

Yes, however she was able to mark several people with spell they did NOT have affinity for. Including RHODA - she's powerful talent, but doesn't have specific affinity for resizing, it's just something she yearns for. Similarly, Dex doesn't have summoning talent, he's just lonely.

Pandora is able to see both, SEPARATELY. Well, maybe in some cases one can be so strong it hides the other, but she can definitely see what can she mark person with AND if that's because of yearning or because of affinity.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Some religions, philosophies, or moralities would contend that the desire to do something evil is itself a sin just as great as actually performing the evil act.

I could see saying that dwelling on an evil thought was also evil, but to blame people for random thoughts that pop into their heads or desires they have no control over is to say that some people are inherently evil by nature and there's nothing they can do about it. Which I suppose is also a position some religions/philosophies/etc. take, but it's a rather depressing one.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Noah has powerful magic, and he's been trained by Pandora's son. So he couldn't be making an unwarranted assumption here, could he?

Well, Pandora's son made a whopper of an unproven assumption a bit later in that same story, , or maybe two, or three. They added together to support his idea that Pandora had given Dex both his magic mark and the pythos pendant used to control and channel magic into Dex. And Adrian made it worse when he accused his mother when she came to ask for his help, and apparently without explaining why he was accusing her. 

Now it seems likely that Pandora could and would have marked Dex because he was lonely--and because Dex's fairy is very cute and therefore more likely to be noticed and remembered. But if Voltaire has been observing Pandora, he could have figured that out and marked Dex with a kind of spell that would suit Pandora. The pendent most certainly has to be his, although he either outsmarted himself by putting a pythos instead of a box on it, or he left that complication in because he's a bored Immortal who didn't want his plan to have no chance of failure.

I'm not betting a whole cookie or more than a small part of one that Liz will turn out to be another sleeping wizard with a vampire-slaying affinity. I think some kind of perception spell would fit better, especially since Liz has always seemed to be one of the more perceptive characters. That is, something that could warn her there might be danger, or at least something "off". Maybe even a spell to detect magic, although maybe not to see it as colorful auras like another perceptive character with green hair.

And now I'm going to propose another AMAZING CRACKPOT PLOT THEORY!! 

(Pausing for applause)

We don't know zip about either Liz' or Luke's family. What if they are siblings?

Aaaannnnd, because I've had a restorative nap and recovered enough energy to go back through EGS, here are four other characters with green hair which have appeared in canon:

1. Nanase's green color clone
  2. Grace's "Claire" form disguise
  3. A boy in Grace's math class on her first day of school (in three panels)
  4. (Our) Ellen after the Dewitchery Diamond exploded. This is the only green hair which has been remarked on by other characters in canon.

Ashley may be sort of a fifth, since Dan used to give her hair green highlights in sketchbooks and Patreons, but he's switched to brown.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
7 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Noah has powerful magic, and he's been trained by Pandora's son. So he couldn't be making an unwarranted assumption here, could he?

Well, ok, he might be wrong in case of Dex specially, but it would be really weird if his whole reasoning would be wrong: innate talents ARE rare but it's perfectly possible person without summoning talent would get summoning spell just because he's lonely.

Well, Pandora's son made a whopper of an unproven assumption a bit later in that same story, , or maybe two, or three. They added together to support his idea that Pandora had given Dex both his magic mark and the pythos pendant used to control and channel magic into Dex. And Adrian made it worse when he accused his mother when she came to ask for his help, and apparently without explaining why he was accusing her. 

Now it seems likely that Pandora could and would have marked Dex because he was lonely--and because Dex's fairy is very cute and therefore more likely to be noticed and remembered. But if Voltaire has been observing Pandora, he could have figured that out and marked Dex with a kind of spell that would suit Pandora. The pendent most certainly has to be his, although he either outsmarted himself by putting a pythos instead of a box on it, or he left that complication in because he's a bored Immortal who didn't want his plan to have no chance of failure.

Yeah, due to that misunderstanding we still don't know who truly marked Dex.

I'm not betting a whole cookie or more than a small part of one that Liz will turn out to be another sleeping wizard with a vampire-slaying affinity. I think some kind of perception spell would fit better, especially since Liz has always seemed to be one of the more perceptive characters. That is, something that could warn her there might be danger, or at least something "off". Maybe even a spell to detect magic, although maybe not to see it as colorful auras like another perceptive character with green hair.

It's very unlikely Liz is a wizard OR have a vampire-slaying affinity. Nevertheless, she MIGHT've get vampires-slaying spell. I agree however that some different kind of spell would fit her better.

Note that Luke detects magic potential ; maybe Liz can instead detect active magic, not the way Tedd does but simpler? Maybe she can look at transformed (enchanted) person and see they are transformed and how they look without transformation?

Aaaannnnd, because I've had a restorative nap and recovered enough energy to go back through EGS, here are four other characters with green hair which have appeared in canon:

1. Nanase's green color clone

Nanase's green clone is COMPLETELY green :)

A boy in Grace's math class on her first day of school (in three panels)

Hmmm ... another candidate for Liz's relative?

Ashley may be sort of a fifth, since Dan used to give her hair green highlights in sketchbooks and Patreons, but he's switched to brown.

She totally DOES have green hair. She colors them brown recently/often because it's hard to find clothes which go well with green hair. (My headcanon.)

By the way, we know that Pandora's family tends to have an affinity for aberration-slaying spells... but that does not mean that everyone with that affinity is Pandora's family.

On slaying vampires, I am reminded of a line from an early episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer":

"You'd be surprised how many things a stake through the heart will kill."

23 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

By the way, we know that Pandora's family tends to have an affinity for aberration-slaying spells... but that does not mean that everyone with that affinity is Pandora's family.

It's specifically affinity for summoning weapons. But yes, even such specific affinity may not be just from single immortal ... also, Adrian is Pandora's only son from LAST incarnation ; she might have several from previous incarnations we know nothing about.

(Presumably, the incarnation who decided to lie to the next one that immortals can't have kids DID had kids herself.)

21 hours ago, detrius said:
On 6/8/2019 at 3:10 AM, hkmaly said:

Nanase's green clone is COMPLETELY green :)

CDF Nanase - because standard Nanase isn't overpowered enough!

I suspect not even CDF are THAT green. For example, their eyes are YELLOW.

19 hours ago, ijuin said:

On slaying vampires, I am reminded of a line from an early episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer":

"You'd be surprised how many things a stake through the heart will kill."

Nevertheless, EGS aberration might be able to survive that.

14 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Liz?  That guy trying to mind-control you may not be a Vampire.

He may just be trying to get your money to buy a Sandwich.

I don't think such possibility would make Liz change her plans with the stake.