• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Monday, June 10, 2018

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

t's not opposite if there is no contraindication. Just because you think Ashley would risk losing her friendship with Liz by telling her doesn't mean she doesn't risk it by keeping the secret.

If Ashley doesn't tell Liz, then the only way it would risk losing her friendship is if Liz found out, and then it still really depends on how Liz would react to this knew knowledge about Ashley, she could either understand why Ashley would keep that secret, or be scared of what Ashley's gotten herself into.

No. Liz doesn't need to find out what SPECIFICALLY is Ashley keeping secret to find out she's keeping secret SOMETHING, and that could hurt the friendship more.

Right now it seems better to just let Liz make the assumption that Ashley's just being insecure about herself, which isn't actually a lie and what she's saying does make sense to a degree, like I'm pretty sure she's right that if Elliot can't accept her at her weirdest, then he doesn't deserve her, but let's face it, considering the company he keeps, I don't think Ashley's weirdness will phase him.

Right now it seems that Liz's assumptions are not THAT far off, so it can work. Her PREVIOUS assumptions were that there is some problem with Elliot. While technically true, it was a dangerous assumption for their friendship.

However ... no matter if Ashley tells her she has magic or not, as long as they can't talk freely, their friendship might still get worse.

I still don't see how their friendship is strained .... she seems satisfied that she got what she did out of Ashley and was able to give some advice on it, I think that's what matters.

Well because so far the danger is just potential. Liz feels the danger and tries to solve it. As long as she's trying, it's good. The friendship will get strained when she starts to feel her attempts are not just futile but unwelcomed.

Besides, if it did turn out that Liz was marked and knew about it, then she'd be hypocritical to expect Ashley to tell her things if she's not willing to share her secrets.

Yes. Hypocrisy is very widespread fault and can endanger friendships. Note however that so far it's still possible she doesn't know she's marked.

That means either Ashley's parents don't watch the news or they were told the official version - that Cheerleadra is not Elliot etc - and are somehow ok with Ashley being near the griffins during her supposed date with Elliot ... who was not seen around ...

There was also this cover story that Elliot and Ashley decided on, of course then there'd be the question of "who brought you home?"

... cheerleadra? :)

Alternatively, Diane. I mean, it would require some inventiveness to explain not just the logistics but also how it made sense, but Diane's car was involved in what actually happened so it may be used in the coverup as well.

Now, for the second incident, there wasn't any news about it, so thinking up something would be easier. But there is good point that we don't know how long the date was expected to take. Maybe she was expected to sleep there? We saw Dunkels reactions, but not Ashley's parents reactions ...

If Ashley got home at a decent time, then there'd be no reason to expect she was involved in what happened at the mall that time.

Well, she wasn't. Not directly at least.

And she doesn't have to be sleeping over for Elliot's parents to have to worry about them doing anything, they were heading out themselves and Elliot and Ashley would have been alone in the house for a few hours, that's enough reason for them to give Elliot that lecture.

Of course. I just suspect that she didn't get home at a decent time. PTTAOLUTASF is "a three hour trip by car" away from Moperville. While they MIGHT've partially moved by teleports, I still find unlikely it took less than six hours.

She hasn't been to Tedd's house yet, and I don't think Elliot would have taken it to him

(Rereading ...) ... right. No reason to get to Tedd's house. And leaving it with Elliot makes less sense.

Arthur said Kevin would hide from people Ashley hasn't introduced him to, exactly what "hide" means could range from acting like an inanimate toy wand, to being invisible.

No matter how cool it sounds, acting like inanimate wand would be better way to hide than being invisible. Or, maybe masking himself as more common object ... pen, for example.

Toy wand would be safe enough to keep at Ashey's home. Not so much to take to school with her - I mean, better like talking wand, but anybody noticing it could still consider it weird enough to remember. Now, pen would be safe enough to take to school.

(Unfortunately, Kevin is considerably bigger than normal pens ...)

All the while, Ashley would be at home going over what happened the night before and contemplating the idea of being a wizard.

... that doesn't sound like something you can spend half day doing. Sure, it's lot to think about, but half day in one piece?

Not being able to focus on anything for whole day, sure. Sitting whole day on couch with wand in hand, no.

I think this must be when either when she wake up, or when she had some time for herself (possibly there was something to do before) and she just looked at the wand to like confirm it wasn't dream. Few minutes later, she went to try to focus on something else.

16 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Didn't Grace already attempt the "Fat Cat" transformation, only to give it up when it failed to make her rich?

She got cause and effect reversed--being rich makes you likely to get fat.

1 minute ago, ijuin said:
16 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Didn't Grace already attempt the "Fat Cat" transformation, only to give it up when it failed to make her rich?

She got cause and effect reversed--being rich makes you likely to get fat.

That's no longer true. Since the McDonald was founded, even poor people could get fat ... and it's costing more and more to eat healthy.

But it's true that historically only rich people could get fat.

Yes, back when only rich people could afford to not have to walk (either due to having servants run errands for them and thus not have to travel about town, or due to having a horse/coach/whatever to transport them), poorer people would have to burn calories walking everywhere, not to mention that fatty food beyond "the cheap parts of the pig/chicken" were less available.

Nowadays only the rich can afford to be thin because only relatively wealthy people can spare the time to exercise, since poor people have to spend more hours working on jobs that burn few calories (cashier, waiter, factory assembly, etc.)

I still don't see how their friendship is strained, I see Liz as being concerned about her friend's wellbeing, not "If you won't tell me what's wrong, I don't want to talk to you anymore!"

Liz is the only friend of Ashley's we know she had before she got to know Elliot and, through him, Sarah, Susan, and Tedd. But if Ashley continues to withhold big secrets from Liz, Liz is going to get more and more suspicious, and quite possibly hurt.

Ashley could be afraid that if Liz gets caught up in this, she could wind up kidnapped by Arthur or other people working for the same mysterious agency. That would make keeping Liz out of the loop about even more than not betraying the trust of her new friends.

How important is Liz to Ashley? Maybe important enough for her to give up Elliot and magic to keep Liz's friendship, or to try to keep it. I've been saying for two or three years now that Ashley is a really good fit for the Transitional Love Interest meme, and the conflict here provides Dan with a pretty good ticket for the bus out of the storyline, a better ticket than Dan gave Lord Tedd. Come to think of it, Dan never did buy LT a ticket; poor guy could still be out there somewhere hitching, with nary a Hedge to pick him up.

16 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

How important is Liz to Ashley? Maybe important enough for her to give up Elliot and magic to keep Liz's friendship, or to try to keep it. I've been saying for two or three years now that Ashley is a really good fit for the Transitional Love Interest meme, and the conflict here provides Dan with a pretty good ticket for the bus out of the storyline, a better ticket than Dan gave Lord Tedd. Come to think of it, Dan never did buy LT a ticket; poor guy could still be out there somewhere hitching, with nary a Hedge to pick him up.

While I suppose it's possible Elliot and Ashley could break up I don't see her disappearing any time soon. Dan's spent too much time developing her, and from what I've seen she's extremely popular with the fans. (I know Dan doesn't follow fan hopes and demands blindly, but I would think her popularity would at least make him hesitate before dropping her.)

Also, the whole point of this story is to introduce Ashley to the main 8. It wouldn't make sense to change gears suddenly, and once this story is over Ashley is going to have even more development, which would make it even more jarring for her to leave.

17 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yes, back when only rich people could afford to not have to walk (either due to having servants run errands for them and thus not have to travel about town, or due to having a horse/coach/whatever to transport them), poorer people would have to burn calories walking everywhere, not to mention that fatty food beyond "the cheap parts of the pig/chicken" were less available.

Nowadays only the rich can afford to be thin because only relatively wealthy people can spare the time to exercise, since poor people have to spend more hours working on jobs that burn few calories (cashier, waiter, factory assembly, etc.)

I'm pretty sure in past, poor people burned much more calories working than walking. Now, not so much: lot of them work in office doing paperwork, which burns even less calories than being waiter.

17 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Ashley could be afraid that if Liz gets caught up in this, she could wind up kidnapped by Arthur or other people working for the same mysterious agency. That would make keeping Liz out of the loop about even more than not betraying the trust of her new friends.

If it's government agency doing it, it's usually not called kidnapping.

How important is Liz to Ashley? Maybe important enough for her to give up Elliot and magic to keep Liz's friendship, or to try to keep it.

I don't think so. Maybe Elliot OR magic, but dropping both? She's having second thoughts about magic now, but it's obvious she will think differently after the party.

a better ticket than Dan gave Lord Tedd. Come to think of it, Dan never did buy LT a ticket; poor guy could still be out there somewhere hitching, with nary a Hedge to pick him up.

Dan said multiple times that Lord Tedd WILL return, that he just underestimated how long it will take. Sure, there is danger that he won't be able to actually get to this storyline due to outside events (his death, sun going nova, thermal dead of universe etc) but it's definitely still on plan.

(And, I still think he will finish Lord Tedd storyline before J.R.R. Tolkien finishes Silmarillion, despite JRRT's headstart.)

I've been saying for two or three years now that Ashley is a really good fit for the Transitional Love Interest meme

16 minutes ago, ChronosCat said:

While I suppose it's possible Elliot and Ashley could break up I don't see her disappearing any time soon. Dan's spent too much time developing her, and from what I've seen she's extremely popular with the fans. (I know Dan doesn't follow fan hopes and demands blindly, but I would think her popularity would at least make him hesitate before dropping her.)

Also, the whole point of this story is to introduce Ashley to the main 8. It wouldn't make sense to change gears suddenly, and once this story is over Ashley is going to have even more development, which would make it even more jarring for her to leave.

I was shipping Elliot and Susan as well, but face it: Susan is unlikely to be ready for such relationship anytime soon if ever, and throwing Ashley away before that would be invalidation of why she appeared in story at all. And Dan works hard to show how ideal Elliot and Ashley are for each other.

And the way she is being introduced into main 8 is making very unlikely she will disappear even if she DOES decide to drop Elliot, ESPECIALLY considering Liz likely does have a magic mark of her own. Training with Tedd, Dragon sisters with Ellen ... AND she's group only "normal" wizard, I suspect she will be used to show how normal (non-wand-maker) wizards works, how they learn spells etc.