• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
ChronosCat

Story Friday June 14 2019

http://egscomics.com/comic/party-025

So, there's a lot to unpack here... I think I'll start by going panel-by-panel (mostly).

Panel one: I was pretty sure that as far as we knew Grace wasn't sure of Rhoda's magic, but it's nice to have that confirmed.

Panel two: Yeah, that sounds kinda creepy when you put it that way. It's interesting though, this seems like an acknowledgement that the EGS main universe US government might not be entirely trustworthy (just like the real one), which is not something Dan usually brings up. Also, I wonder if the FBI/DGB is supposed to know and keep track of all the country's magic users, and how many they miss?

Panel three: A valid point, though I don't think Ellen (or Elliot) would would have too much of an issue with their personal secrets being revealed. Examining Grace's other friends; Sarah would have a problem if her particular spell became well known or even just known to the government, but that's just because of the nature of her spell. Susan would be annoyed, but I think would get over it. Justin would be upset with one of his secrets being revealed mainly because of his experience with being outed as gay; the actual fact of being known for magic wouldn't be an issue. Nanase actually wanted to be open about her magic until she was talked out of it, so she'd probably be fine. Tedd would actually probably be the one hurt the most, as his magic is tied with his gender-fluidity, which he is still in the closet about outside the main eight.

Panel Four: Interesting (and amusing) that Arthur gets a special introduction, unlike everyone else who just walks in / appears there without fanfare. While this issue is something to take into consideration, I doubt Arthur would actually judge Tedd based on his friends (even his girlfriend) - but if Grace proved incapable of keeping secrets Arthur might insist Grace be kept out of the loop, which would put Tedd's lab funding in jeopardy as he wouldn't want to keep secrets from her.

Panels Five - Seven:  Wow, it's been a long time since we've seen Grace angst over not being 100% human. Of course she used to have a bit of self-loathing due to it; here as far as we see it's just fear of how others will see her. Still that's a reasonable fear to have, and it's interesting how it puts her in the same boat as Tedd, Sam, and everyone else for whom it could be dangerous to reveal their true natures.  

On a lighter note, yay for starburst background in panel six!

Other thoughts:

The previous comic set things up well enough, but it's still pretty unusual to have a comic that's all fantasy sequence (and obviously so) without any framing.

I'm also surprised Grace went immediately from "It would be so great to not have to keep secrets!" to "Here are all the problems with spilling the beans." I had assumed her sigh at the end of the previous strip was merely her feeling down that she wasn't allowed to talk about magic and her origins. I didn't expect that she would not only be thinking of why she wasn't allowed to, but feeling bad about those reasons.

Just now, ChronosCat said:

Panel two: Yeah, that sounds kinda creepy when you put it that way. It's interesting though, this seems like an acknowledgement that the EGS main universe US government might not be entirely trustworthy (just like the real one), which is not something Dan usually brings up. Also, I wonder if the FBI/DGB is supposed to know and keep track of all the country's magic users, and how many they miss?

We can't expect DGB to already have Rhoda on file, though I wouldn't be surprised if she was put on a watch list after the boar incident, like "If that boar was enchanted, there's a chance that she was the one that enchanted it" even it being by accident could make them want to keep an eye out to see if she done any more.

And I'm not sure if it's trying to paint the FBI/DGB as untrustworthy, overly cautious likely, but I'd probably be more worried that Rhoda has disguise skills that could make her valuable agent material.

6 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Everything else

This is pretty much Grace going from best case scenario (the previous page) to worst case scenario. I don't believe it's a realistic assumption of what would happen, even the previous page is probably too optimistic, but Grace doesn't know how bad it would be (if it even is bad) to reveal these secrets so her imagination is making up consequences. I don't believe Rhoda would react the way Grace imagines in panel 6 and I don't think Arthur would be that heavy handed either, but Grace doesn't know that and what Sam said has obviously affected her view there.

Deja-vu all over again. This reminds me very much of the personal crisis Grace had just before her birthday party. And the personal crisis she had over Sam and Sarah. And, gosh, Grace hasn't even met Ashley yet; their combined personal crises could bring on another apocalypse!

7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I'm also surprised Grace went immediately from "It would be so great to not have to keep secrets!" to "Here are all the problems with spilling the beans." I had assumed her sigh at the end of the previous strip was merely her feeling down that she wasn't allowed to talk about magic and her origins. I didn't expect that she would not only be thinking of why she wasn't allowed to, but feeling bad about those reasons.

I, for one, am glad she had what amounts to second thoughts about just broadcasting about magic, aliens, TF guns and the like.

10 minutes ago, mlooney said:

I, for one, am glad she had what amounts to second thoughts about just broadcasting about magic, aliens, TF guns and the like.

Of course, being Grace, she will go on to have third thoughts, fourth thoughts, fifth thoughts...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
7 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

We can't expect DGB to already have Rhoda on file, though I wouldn't be surprised if she was put on a watch list after the boar incident, like "If that boar was enchanted, there's a chance that she was the one that enchanted it" even it being by accident could make them want to keep an eye out to see if she done any more.

And I'm not sure if it's trying to paint the FBI/DGB as untrustworthy, overly cautious likely, but I'd probably be more worried that Rhoda has disguise skills that could make her valuable agent material.

It not just sounds creepy it IS creepy. Government shouldn't spy on yours secret unless you are terrorist, however ... how they can find out you are terrorist without spying on yours secrets? Very hard philosophical problem. Most people agree that they should spy if there is reasonable suspicion you may be one, but they don't agree on what's reasonable suspicion. It's getting pretty obvious that OUR US government idea of what's reasonable is pretty unreasonable, though ...

Note however that this doesn't necessary paint FBI/DGB/EGS US government as untrustworthy. It just shows that not everyone would trust it.

And, yes, Rhoda would definitely be valuable agent. Her disguise is probably not better than what lot of others can do, but do you realize how many facilities are totally unprotected against infiltration of agent who can get doll sized?

Also, it's definitely real problem: if government doesn't know yet that Rhoda has powers, they will definitely find out if Grace starts talking with her about magic. And even if they wouldn't ... Grace is in position where she would either break Edward trust by not telling him or break Rhoda trust by telling him. Oh wait she's already in this problem with Sarah's spell.

8 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Panel three: A valid point, though I don't think Ellen (or Elliot) would would have too much of an issue with their personal secrets being revealed.

Actually, Elliot might complain. He didn't liked when Voltaire outed him.

And even if they wouldn't mind, Grace should definitely get their approval first. Note that she CAN: unlike the problem with Sam, she already told everyone about her dream involving Rhoda and Catalina, so she totally can ask others if they would be ok with trying to get Rhoda into their group.

Of course, such talk by itself MIGHT alert Edward that Rhoda has powers, if he didn't heard about the dream yet, but she SHOULD ask Edward too anyway. No matter how creepy government spying is, trying to hide something only makes sense if you actually spend effort on hiding it.

Panel Four: Interesting (and amusing) that Arthur gets a special introduction, unlike everyone else who just walks in / appears there without fanfare. While this issue is something to take into consideration, I doubt Arthur would actually judge Tedd based on his friends (even his girlfriend) - but if Grace proved incapable of keeping secrets Arthur might insist Grace be kept out of the loop, which would put Tedd's lab funding in jeopardy as he wouldn't want to keep secrets from her.

Yes. Note that I'm sure Edward would complain as well, but there are just so many panels and Arthur is better to showing that Tedd's lab might be endangered.

Panels Five - Seven:  Wow, it's been a long time since we've seen Grace angst over not being 100% human. Of course she used to have a bit of self-loathing due to it; here as far as we see it's just fear of how others will see her. Still that's a reasonable fear to have

Yes, it seems she's ok with herself now, but she's still aware that not everyone may be. And, frankly, while Rhoda is PROBABLY too nice for it, there would be lot of people who would be scared of her just because she's not human. ... also, we already know Luke is.

6 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Grace is intelligent. She would need to be in hard denial not realizing all of the possible problems ...