• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Monday, June 24, 2019

In a comic format it's hard to run two or three different social events in different locations, each of which need several pages, concurrently. So even if they happen concurrently, it's extremely likely that they'll be shown one after another - and/or some just won't be shown.

In a novel format you can more easily get away with switching back and forth between venues and character groups.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Either he wants to skip those dates like Sarah's first date with Sam or they would be plot relevant and in main comics.

It's quite possible he simply won't show Sarah and Sam's night because we already know that Sam's got a decision to make, whether or not to tell Sarah he just wants to be friends. and we'd likely find out if he did or not at the party the next day if Sarah's in a good mood or not or if Sarah wants to back out of attending.

I guess Justin/Luke and Diane/Lucy doesn't have to be seen either, they go bowling, they have fun, and the two couples might not even cross paths.

17 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

In a comic format it's hard to run two or three different social events in different locations, each of which need several pages, concurrently. So even if they happen concurrently, it's extremely likely that they'll be shown one after another - and/or some just won't be shown.

In a novel format you can more easily get away with switching back and forth between venues and character groups.

It's not difference between novel and comic. It's just question of "minimal segment length". You can't switch between location in webcomic every page, just like you can't switch between locations in novel every paragraph.

For an entirely different take on Liz's problem with Elliot, perhaps she thinks he's too perfect, so that when the statistically likely breakup eventually happens Ashley will be devastated.

So I think this page pushes on the topic of "what year does EGS take place in". In the 4th panel, Liz is watching a review show episode in which Dan confirms is about Guardians of the Galaxy. The first film was released August 1st, 2014. While that still keeps things between Dan's stated "after Star Trek 2009 but before Star Wars: The Force Awakens" timeframe, it's clearly not Summer in the comic and there hasn't been another timeskip yet so we're still very much at the beginning of the year here. There is 2 possible ways this could work, the EGS universe being not identical to ours means that GotG was released a year earlier in 2013, or it was still released in 2014 and thus the current year would be 2015, which would mean that none of the known calendar days in EGS match our calendar. Either way Liz would have probably been watching the latest review show episode that coincides with the DVD release of the film.

11 hours ago, Scotty said:

There is 2 possible ways this could work, the EGS universe being not identical to ours means that GotG was released a year earlier in 2013, or it was still released in 2014 and thus the current year would be 2015, which would mean that none of the known calendar days in EGS match our calendar.

I would say that we need to abandon the idea of EGS universe being identical to ours. It makes more sense some movie got out earlier than the calendar not working.

I would also say that Dan decided to actively sabotage attempts to match EGS to real timeline since he stopped giving exact dates in Identity. It would be closest to truth to say that the comics originally was 2002, then jumped to 2013 and is likely to jump to 2019/2020 before 2020 ends, because Dan don't want to spend any effort keeping it in specific timeframe.

The calendar is a human invention that is only effective when all humans using a particular calendar agree on certain details.  For example, what is the current date?

Dan is in the unique position of holding the proxy for every calendar user in the world of EGS.  Therefore, the day of the week, date, month, and year on the Enhanced Gregorian System is whatever Dan says it is.  If the users of the EGS calendar are not bothered by inconsistencies, irregularities, gaps, or repeated dates, why should it bother those of us who view those characters from another dimension with voyeuristic intentions?

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Spelling

17 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

The calendar is a human invention that is only effective when all humans using a particular calendar agree on certain details.

While lot of details in calendar are subject of agreement, there are some properties calendar needs to have to be calendar. There are more which are direct result of humans using it and of being invented/calibrated on Earth.

Similarly, it's just subject of agreement if traffic should be left-hand or right-hand. But no amount of discussion would change the fact that on single road, everyone is REQUIRED to use the same rule as others to prevent collisions.

24 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Dan is in the unique position of holding the proxy for every calendar user in the world of EGS.  Therefore, the day of the week, date, month, and year on the Enhanced Gregorian System is whatever Dan says it is.  If the users of the EGS calendar are not bothered by inconsistencies, irregularities, gaps, or repeated dates, why should it bother those of us who view those characters from another dimension with voyeuristic intentions?

It is OBVIOUS that EGS has calendar very similar to ours, simply because if it wouldn't, characters WOULD be bothered or would all already be crazy from it. Only thing Dan can do with it is hiding their calendar from us and handwave any irregularities in progress and/or dates movies go out.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

why should it bother those of us who view those characters from another dimension with voyeuristic intentions?

Let’s do the Time Warp again!