• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Friday, June 28, 2019

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Yeah, I agree, my gut says that if she's marked, it has something to do with seeing things as they really are, something she could mistake for intuition.

Just noticed, in panel five, Liz says, "You transform. It's not like you're the only person who does that." She is not hesitant, she is confident. How does she know that? She's right, but everyone's mostly been discrete, it is not being presented as common knowledge.

Charolette's Web forum is a possibility, not sure it explains her confidence, though.

Conversely, in pale six, beyond Liz saying that she does not personally transform, if she had observed someone transform, it seems like she would have mentioned that she had; it's stronger evidence than "You don't seem surprised by the concept". Also, trapping Elliot into that admission does not appear to be planned, she just seems to be fast on her feet.

I'm not getting what this possible Liz mark is, but it's got to be tied to insight.

7 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I don't think Pandora would bother marking someone with a spell soo subtle that no one, not even the caster, knows it's magic being used. And then there's....

Pandora also stated that what she could give Liz, while not what she was looking for, still had many ways it could end up helping... the implication is that the spell might not be as flashy as transformation, but would still work towards revealing magic to the public. If it was to see through transformations, it's not doing as Pandora hoped because Liz wouldn't be likely to call out people as being transformed in a public setting, and again if Pandora had any reason to think that someone was unlikely to use the spell in public, she probably wouldn't bother giving them the spell.

Good Tom seems to be an exception cus him nor his girlfriend seem to realize that it's a spell that lets him detect puppies in danger (or maybe they do know, it's not really clear), but he got that because Pandora had a soft spot for saving puppies.

"Not what I was looking for" - not splashy, obvious, public?

"...many ways that could wind up helping." - from Pandora's PoV, must mean make other people's magic from marks more obvious and public. "... could wind up helping" seems to say that she doesn't know what Liz will do with it, Liz may or may not follow through in a way that forwards Pandora's agenda.

"I don't think Pandora would bother marking someone with a spell soo subtle that no one, not even the caster, knows it's magic being used." - When first marked, not knowing about the spell is the norm. Pandora even counts on that as part of her fun. She might mark Liz with a spell that is not obvious, as long as she had an expectation of additional mayhem; "...many ways that could wind up helping" says that is the case.

So Chaos is our plumb line. That's going to work out well.  ; )

"I'm not big on pretending to be something I'm not" - Liz is probably not going to get transformation magic, ever, because EGS magic is preference aware, and Dan like foreshadowing.

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

"Not what I was looking for" - not splashy, obvious, public?

"...many ways that could wind up helping." - from Pandora's PoV, must mean make other people's magic from marks more obvious and public. "... could wind up helping" seems to say that she doesn't know what Liz will do with it, Liz may or may not follow through in a way that forwards Pandora's agenda.

Exactly. Her spell is not going to help by itself, but can help indirectly. That would totally work on something which can reveal something secret.

it's not doing as Pandora hoped because Liz wouldn't be likely to call out people as being transformed in a public setting

Not deliberately ... but people marked by Pandora are in general surprisingly capable of keeping their powers secret. Either Pandora goes for long term (why not, she's immortal), or just the chance is enough.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Not deliberately ... but people marked by Pandora are in general surprisingly capable of keeping their powers secret. Either Pandora goes for long term (why not, she's immortal), or just the chance is enough.

Pandora seemed to be close to drawing the same conclusion about Ashley that Jerry did about Sarah,, so she was disappointed. But she didn't see the same obstacles with Liz. I see her giving Liz a spell as being more about having a little fun and giving Liz something that she deserves rather than a great possibility that it would help her apocalyptic plan. And making that spell something Liz could use without realizing what it was could encourage Liz to use it a lot.

And Pandora was a very old Immortal at that time, so not being able to predict the exact outcome of giving Liz such a spell would be a plus.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Pandora seemed to be close to drawing the same conclusion about Ashley that Jerry did about Sarah,, so she was disappointed.

Not true. She COULD give her healing spells. Granted, that was so useless she decided to not bother, but Sarah seemed to not have ANYTHING.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

But she didn't see the same obstacles with Liz. I see her giving Liz a spell as being more about having a little fun and giving Liz something that she deserves rather than a great possibility that it would help her apocalyptic plan. And making that spell something Liz could use without realizing what it was could encourage Liz to use it a lot.

And Pandora was a very old Immortal at that time, so not being able to predict the exact outcome of giving Liz such a spell would be a plus.

There were several people Pandora could mark just for fun in the mall ... hmmm ... well maybe she did. Just because we didn't saw them since doesn't mean they were not marked.

Or you're right and she marked Liz specifically to raise her mood after Ashley.

And yes: Pandora LIKED not being able to predict the exact outcome. OF COURSE she went for chance.

(Not speaking about the fact "chance she will do something reckless eventually" is her motivation to mark Catalina, despite already knowing Catalina is surprisingly good in keeping secrets.)

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Definitely right about the uniforms. Missed it.

I wasn't considering the non-canon NPs. Looking at that one with fresh eyes, though, I'm wondering if the girl is supposed to be the daughter of Grace's avatar in the game. The girl is holding the same squirrel in all four panels.

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:
12 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Definitely right about the uniforms. Missed it.

The power of wiki ... :)

2 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

I wasn't considering the non-canon NPs. Looking at that one with fresh eyes, though, I'm wondering if the girl is supposed to be the daughter of Grace's avatar in the game. The girl is holding the same squirrel in all four panels.

I didn't played the game but I find it unlikely. And note that the squirrel she's holding is likely teddy- ehm ... teddy squirrel? Well, toy.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

If this villager is Liz, then so is this one, but this says it's Sarah (same look and occurs in next comic sequence). The arc continues with Liz-like Sarah for a few comics.

You're combining "Grace the Goddess" with "Blank check for Weirdness" (AKA the AF04 universe), these stories are before Dan started putting an official "THE END" stamp at the end of stories. the girl in "Grace the Goddess" is, as Dan mentioned in the commentary for the "time speed up" strip, based on Liz, but not actually Liz. Sarah in "Blank check" is an AU version of the Sarah we know and love, and she's probably taken a similar outlook that Liz would have.

8 hours ago, Scotty said:

You're combining "Grace the Goddess" with "Blank check for Weirdness" (AKA the AF04 universe), these stories are before Dan started putting an official "THE END" stamp at the end of stories. the girl in "Grace the Goddess" is, as Dan mentioned in the commentary for the "time speed up" strip, based on Liz, but not actually Liz. Sarah in "Blank check" is an AU version of the Sarah we know and love, and she's probably taken a similar outlook that Liz would have.

Yes; the stories are back to back, and the character looks the same. FWIW, I kept reading the NPs just after, and Alice appears soon after (next story line maybe?) with much the same look, although the back of her hair looks close cropped. Harder to tell with the earlier art. 

I am definitely looking forward to tomorrow's comic.