• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Monday, Jul 1, 2019

http://egscomics.com/comic/party-032

"Someone in law enforcement" ... "five skilled martial artists" ... ok, Elliot, that was remarkably good for you - "... who kicked a fire person into a river" ... I spoke too soon.

Of course, house of ordinary member of law enforcement is unlikely to have any special protection, while Edward house has LOT of protections. And Grace is not really martial artists. But it's apparently close enough to truth Elliot can say it, and at the same time keep the secrets.

And, yes, technically there is no chance of repeat of your second date as Shirleck is dead and Magus is unlikely to risk returning.

BTW, not sure how many alien invasions Edward prevented but he saved Earth multiple times.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Neither am I, but I am pretty sure Edward will be making an alien invasion while the party is going on.

Neither him nor Lavender are aliens. She's probably born american just like Gillian and William. Although maybe they will roleplay it ...

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

And Grace is not really martial artists. But it's apparently close enough to truth Elliot can say it, and at the same time keep the secrets.

She's been training, that counts, and she's the most powerful of the group too.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

And, yes, technically there is no chance of repeat of your second date as Shirleck is dead and Magus is unlikely to risk returning.

If Magus does return, I imagine it'll be because he's ready to talk to Ellen, not cause any trouble.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Neither am I, but I am pretty sure Edward will be making an alien invasion while the party is going on.

Are we going to have silhouettes in every last panel for awhile?

If Dan ever does a "Meanwhile, at Lavender's..." the whole page might be silhouettes. ;)

Now that Elliot is becoming more comfortable with the Super stuff, maybe he will be able to develop a "Lying Elliot" secret ID.

Warning.  Many people who learn how to lie find themselves unable to stop lying.

Trust Me

Something like panels three to six is what Elliot should have gone with from the start.

Unless she's done a lot more training than we've been led to believe, I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to call Grace a skilled martial artist though. A powerful person who knows some martial arts, perhaps, maybe a "powerful martial artist" if you want to keep things simple and don't mind being a bit deceptive, but not all that skilled (yet). ...I guess Elliot can pull off being untruthful after all!

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

And Grace is not really martial artists. But it's apparently close enough to truth Elliot can say it, and at the same time keep the secrets.

She's been training, that counts, and she's the most powerful of the group too.

She may also not be comfortable with actually punching anyone who is not direct danger.

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Unless she's done a lot more training than we've been led to believe, I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to call Grace a skilled martial artist though. A powerful person who knows some martial arts, perhaps, maybe a "powerful martial artist" if you want to keep things simple and don't mind being a bit deceptive, but not all that skilled (yet). ...I guess Elliot can pull off being untruthful after all!

I guess Elliot is only capable of pulling this off because he's not up-to-date on Grace's skill level. Yes, Grace is powerful, but only when switching to instinct, meaning she's going to shred the enemy to pieces. "Skill" generally describes something else.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If Magus does return, I imagine it'll be because he's ready to talk to Ellen, not cause any trouble.

What Magus PLANS to do when returning might not be what will HAPPEN.

Despite his last appearance going almost entirely by the plan. Until the golem appeared I mean.

9 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Warning.  Many people who learn how to lie find themselves unable to stop lying.

That shouldn't matter, considering the most effective lie is the one which is almost completely true. Almost.

Good lying is not about the volume of untruth statements you say, but about how well you hide the small but important untrue bit in huge pile of truths.

So, those people don't need to stop lying. They need to IMPROVE their lying by saying more true stuff. :)

4 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

Something like panels three to six is what Elliot should have gone with from the start.

Agree.

27 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Good lying is not about the volume of untruth statements you say, but about how well you hide the small but important untrue bit in huge pile of truths.

Heinlein (via Lazarus Long) said that the two artistic ways of lying are:

1) Tell the truth and nothing but the truth, but not the whole truth

2) Tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, in such a manner that nobody believes you.

2 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Heinlein (via Lazarus Long) said that the two artistic ways of lying are:

1) Tell the truth and nothing but the truth, but not the whole truth

2) Tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, in such a manner that nobody believes you.

Which Book(s)? I don't recall that from Lazarus Long, although, I never read To Sail Beyond the Sunset. It sounds like something Jubal Harshaw would have said (Stranger in a Strange Land).

To paraphrase, the best way to lie is to let people deceive themselves.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I think if Elliot told Liz what happened on the second date, she'd either believe it and be extremely pissed that they'd get in such a situation, or she'd think he's lying even more and be pissed. Either way it wouldn't look good on Elliot.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I think if Elliot told Liz what happened on the second date, she'd either believe it and be extremely pissed that they'd get in such a situation, or she'd think he's lying even more and be pissed. Either way it wouldn't look good on Elliot.

I'm pretty sure after his initial performance, she wouldn't believe he's lying so well. Also, even if she wouldn't believe it completely, there are parts of it which are quite believable and STILL something she would be pissed about.

So, in Elliot's current situation, bad idea to employ this method. Or the first method actually. The date was so catastrophic Liz is better not knowing any details.

Note however that Arthur technically did both in his TV interview: he didn't told the whole truth, but he told truth in a way which makes it hard to believe.

For Arthur, the former official position of "Magic is purely fictional" was no longer tenable, so he was falling back to the position of "Mages are Born, not Made". The thing that had to be kept secret the most was that any idiot could Awaken if they put enough time and effort into it. If that had become general knowledge, then there would be a flood of people like Not-Tengu, which was the nightmare scenario that Arthur was trying to avert.

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Did we ever find out what happened to that guy after the ambulance drove away?

Nope, it's assumed he's in whatever jail the FBI has that includes a magical lockdown of some sort.

So is Liz going to be at the party or not? I can see her being included as an observer for Ashley's sake, then someone, probably Grace, noticing she's marked. This arc is going on too long for her to just drop off.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

So is Liz going to be at the party or not? I can see her being included as an observer for Ashley's sake, then someone, probably Grace, noticing she's marked. This arc is going on too long for her to just drop off.

If Elliot invites Ashley to the party, it breaks the "everyone will have magic" promise he made to Ashley, at least in his own mind. But Elliot could do it anyway; Dan has given Ashley a lot of panel time. And given what Ashley has done so far, it's not unreasonable for her to crash the party. Or Ashley could decide she really needs to bring Liz along.

18 hours ago, ijuin said:

For Arthur, the former official position of "Magic is purely fictional" was no longer tenable, so he was falling back to the position of "Mages are Born, not Made". The thing that had to be kept secret the most was that any idiot could Awaken if they put enough time and effort into it

I think most idiots are unable to put the time and effort to it ... and it would also not be enough. However, Not-Tengu is unfortunately NOT idiot. Just jerk.

13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I seriously hope not, because if she's going to the party she WILL learn magic is real and Edward wouldn't like it.

Note that I don't like this "arc is going too long" attitude ... sure, I'm also looking forward to the party itself, but I also feel that Dan is already cutting corners to make the comics go faster and I'm missing some of those ...

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I seriously hope not, because if she's going to the party she WILL learn magic is real and Edward wouldn't like it.

"People transform" says she's already aware that her setting has magic. She knows Cheerleadra flies, and has likely seen Nanase floating in the hallway. She's also aware of the battle with the bulldog dragon thing.

Edward tolerates quite a bit of magic happening in his household, and not everyone was clued in prior to each instance. He might believe he can control the consequences better if it happens at home.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note that I don't like this "arc is going too long" attitude ... sure, I'm also looking forward to the party itself, but I also feel that Dan is already cutting corners to make the comics go faster and I'm missing some of those ...

You misread "the arc is too long"; it's too long for Liz to be dropped as a non-participant, too much prep time. She's had more exposure in the last couple of weeks than in the first decade and a half.

That has nothing to do with my attitude toward the length of the arc; in fact, I am enjoying this one immensely. Evidence: I cared enough to find this forum again. Not apathetic about the outcome.

I like Liz as a character, she reminds me of Susan and Diane.

5 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
9 hours ago, hkmaly said:

"People transform" says she's already aware that her setting has magic. She knows Cheerleadra flies, and has likely seen Nanase floating in the hallway. She's also aware of the battle with the bulldog dragon thing.

... ok, "magic is real" can hardly be called secret now. It's still not good idea to show her how many magic users are in her school.

Edward tolerates quite a bit of magic happening in his household, and not everyone was clued in prior to each instance. He might believe he can control the consequences better if it happens at home.

I'm pretty sure everyone had background check already done before they entered the house.

... it's possible Liz's own background check is already in progress due to her being so close to Ashley.

You misread "the arc is too long"; it's too long for Liz to be dropped as a non-participant, too much prep time. She's had more exposure in the last couple of weeks than in the first decade and a half.

The title is still pending. I think Liz gets this much time because she's important part of Ashley's background and this will be mostly Ashley's story arc so it's best place to put it in.