• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Darth Fluffy

Life's great mysteries.

Yesterday on my way home from work, I noticed a catamaran yacht anchored near the bridge,

This is absolutely not unusual.  Anyone who lives close enough to a coast to be pestered by seagulls  will occasionally see a nice boat.

So why did it seem noteworthy as I drove by?  Why does the memory stick out in my head like the buoy marking a crab trap?

32 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Yesterday on my way home from work, I noticed a catamaran yacht anchored near the bridge,

This is absolutely not unusual.  Anyone who lives close enough to a coast to be pestered by seagulls  will occasionally see a nice boat.

So why did it seem noteworthy as I drove by?  Why does the memory stick out in my head like the buoy marking a crab trap?

"Joy to the world,

all the bouys and gulls, ... "

Seagulls are my least liked bird, way more so than sky rats. I have occasionally seen them far inland, over the years, and not in any one particular location. But they are worst at the shore. If you have food, there's no such thing as seagull, nor even "a couple of ...".

So, I reference the phrase, "Like shooting fish in a barrel" in my last post on the NP thread, then I realized, that is not actually easy. Assuming a standard wooden barrel (the expression is old) and that you were using small arms. Wooden barrels are thick, and functional ones are well fitted hardwood, so they're tough. A rifle round should have the power to penetrate, or a hefty caliber pistol, but not a small round; leave your .22 at home. You can't see the fish, so your odds are no better than fish cross section over barrel cross section.

A steel barrel would probably be no easier. A plastic one would be easier, and you might be able to track the fish. But you already have the fish confined, why are you bothering to shoot it? Just grab it, gut it, and pop it on the grill already.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

So, I reference the phrase, "Like shooting fish in a barrel" in my last post on the NP thread, then I realized, that is not actually easy. Assuming a standard wooden barrel (the expression is old) and that you were using small arms. Wooden barrels are thick, and functional ones are well fitted hardwood, so they're tough. A rifle round should have the power to penetrate, or a hefty caliber pistol, but not a small round; leave your .22 at home. You can't see the fish, so your odds are no better than fish cross section over barrel cross section.

Well, unless the top of the barrel is open and you shoot downward into the barrel.

Then, depending on the firearm you use, the shock wave from the bullet hitting and going through the water might be sufficient to put most or all of the fish belly-up at the surface.

18 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

Well, unless the top of the barrel is open and you shoot downward into the barrel.

Then, depending on the firearm you use, the shock wave from the bullet hitting and going through the water might be sufficient to put most or all of the fish belly-up at the surface.

I googled it after I posted, and Mythbusters came to the same conclusion, the shock wave is lethal to fish.

44 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

I must be the only RVB fan on this board if a thread with a title like that has existed more than 24 hours and nobody has asked "Do you ever wonder why we're here?"

I'm pink, therefore I'm ham.

... I think.

On 7/4/2019 at 8:45 AM, InfiniteRemnant said:

I must be the only RVB fan on this board if a thread with a title like that has existed more than 24 hours and nobody has asked "Do you ever wonder why we're here?"

I'll be honest: it never crossed my mind until like a half hour ago, and two seconds later I saw you'd already done it.

Though on that note, I love how they made use of that in season 8.

Well, if you think I think you think I think you think what I think you think I think you think I think you're thinking, then I think you're right.

On 7/10/2019 at 2:29 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

You better Think

I just saw this recently on the big screen. Was a double feature with Trading Places. Retro Night.