• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
detrius

Story Wednesday, July 3rd, 2019

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think anyone who actually UNDERSTANDS the physics thinks LHC is dangerous.

I kind of agree with you about your specific point, but there is an undercurrent of "We'd never do anything we knew was dangerous", and in a broader sense our track record says that we will do quite a bit without fully understanding what we're doing, particularly if the effects are long term and don't kill us right out immediately. Technically, you'd still be correct, we didn't know it was dangerous. Check out early use of x-ray devices (may need to find "fluoroscope"), early work in chemistry with radioactive elements, "Radium Girls" painting numbers on clocks with radium paint, and health effects on troops handling chemical weapons. LHC has never personally bothered me, and people do get worked up over nonsense, but on the other hand, our own ignorance combined with our inherent hubris tends to be deadly.

I meant dangerous to the planet - unlike that mentioned case with nuclear weapons, when we were building LHC all that talk about black holes were from people who don't really know how black holes work.

Yes, health effect of long-term radioactivity exposure were underestimated. Although the "Radium Girls" are bad example, as while the girls themselves were told it's harmless and that they should lick the brushes, the owners and scientist already used lead screens to protect themselves. Still, the inventor of radium dial paint himself died by it too, and THAT would probably count.

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
12 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Sure. They watched our TV.

"You mean the historical documents?" ...

"Surely, you don't believe Gilligan's Island is a ..."

"Those poor people!"

Those jokes aside, there are numerous better reasons than canceling their favorite show why some aliens might decide to wipe humanity due to our shows. Starting with, yes, not understanding that some of them are fictional, especially horrors and sci-fi. Or possibly knowing those are fictional but assuming there is more truth in them that really is.

Or they may be observing real documents about second world war and decide we are too aggressive ...

On 7/12/2019 at 7:04 PM, hkmaly said:

Bottle it? You mean like using it to carbonate mineral water?

If you want to cool Venus down, you need to remove the greenhouse effect. To do that, you either blow the atmosphere off (not completely, you're not going to be that efficient anyway), or put it in containers, a little bit at a time, and move it. Think gas bottles, but larger; railroad cars designed to move gases, for example. Scale up from there. There could be chemical alternatives, that would require shipping a lot of material there.

999,999,999,999 bottles of SO2 in the air,

999,999,999,999 bottles of SO2,

Pick one up, ship it to Mars,

999,999,999,998 bottles of SO2 in the air.

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note that it's long drive either way ; I mean, conquering planet with intelligent life doesn't seem to be worth the effort for any rational reason, leaving just less rational reasons like preferring slaves to machines. It's much simpler to mine stuff on asteroids, and if you want habitable planet, it's better to choose one which is not already damaged even BEFORE you start the war to conquer it.

Pretty much. If they want to dominate us rather than kill us off, it's either because they like having other intelligent species subordinate to themselves, or because they think it's "for our own good" ("Little Green Man's Burden", or else because they want to spread their ideology/religion). If they want our planet but not us, then it's because they want something produced by our biosphere (exotic foods or spices or other chemicals). Anything inorganic can be easily found in a lifeless place without having to go to the bother of killing off the native life, unless they've got some extreme bias towards wanting to do their mining inside of a breathable atmosphere.

15 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

Or maybe they like planets in the goldilocks zone, but can't stand that horrible oxygen stuff.

I prefer to think of it as The Three Bears zone, rather than the break-in and enter perp. Ya gotta have standards.

19 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Think gas bottles

... to my surprise, high-pressure gas cylinders are also called bottles.

16 hours ago, ijuin said:

If they want our planet but not us, then it's because they want something produced by our biosphere (exotic foods or spices or other chemicals).

While we don't have any statistical data confirming that, I find likely there are more planets with biosphere than planets with intelligent life. On the other hand, maybe they are harder to find without the so-called intelligent life broadcasting the location ...

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... to my surprise, high-pressure gas cylinders are also called bottles.

It's been years, but I've worked in places that had them, I've heard them called either.

I've used a few, but much smaller and more bottle-like.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

While we don't have any statistical data confirming that, I find likely there are more planets with biosphere than planets with intelligent life. On the other hand, maybe they are harder to find without the so-called intelligent life broadcasting the location ..

I would consider this certain, on either or both of two reasons:

1) It's unlikely that every planet with a biosphere develops intelligent life.

2) Developing intelligent life sometimes, probably usually, takes a long time. In the extant sample, there's been a biosphere for probably close to 4 billion years and we currently believe it's had intelligent life for significantly less than a million years. So, at present, probably about 0.1% of the lifespan of the biosphere. Assuming nothing wipes us out or causes us to abandon the planet before the sun runs low on hydrogen and starts fusing helium (which will eventually cause it to swell and engulf the earth), that will rise to somewhere in the vicinity of 50%... after which the earth becomes distinctly uninteresting, unless we figure out a way to move it to a slower orbit.