• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Tom Sewell

Story Monday, July 8, 2019

7 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I don't see "trying to be an evil twin deliberately" as a realistic motivation. I believe that for the most part, Dan keeps the motivations real enough that you can see some segment of society doing the whatever; this particular section always seemed a bit off. My problem with it is, at their core, people don't really do that. People don't align themselves with D&D "Evil", they rationalize how what they are doing is OK. Superficially, maybe she's trying to do that, deeper down, she's hurting and reacting. Crazy, in other words. PTSD. Can't handle the eminent loss. But not "Embracing evil"; even those folks rationalize it.

Ok, the "evil twin" part came out of the unique circumstance of being created as Elliot's "twin", but we could rephrase the motive as "lashing out in a desire for revenge against the person who has 'stolen her identity'". At that point in time, Ellen was basically an Elliot-copy who was told that she could never be Elliot again, because there was another Elliot present.

On 7/12/2019 at 0:48 AM, Scotty said:

I am curious about whether Tedd mentioned that he knows his mom's a wizard now and all that stuff when he told his dad about being a Seer and such, I also wonder if Edward knows that Noriko had another child named Van and how he'd react if Tedd mentioned there being a kid named Van at the meeting with the WoM.

Yes. I'm glad Dan mentioned we will eventually see that discussion in flashback ...

16 hours ago, ijuin said:
23 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I don't see "trying to be an evil twin deliberately" as a realistic motivation. I believe that for the most part, Dan keeps the motivations real enough that you can see some segment of society doing the whatever; this particular section always seemed a bit off. My problem with it is, at their core, people don't really do that. People don't align themselves with D&D "Evil", they rationalize how what they are doing is OK. Superficially, maybe she's trying to do that, deeper down, she's hurting and reacting. Crazy, in other words. PTSD. Can't handle the eminent loss. But not "Embracing evil"; even those folks rationalize it.

Ok, the "evil twin" part came out of the unique circumstance of being created as Elliot's "twin", but we could rephrase the motive as "lashing out in a desire for revenge against the person who has 'stolen her identity'". At that point in time, Ellen was basically an Elliot-copy who was told that she could never be Elliot again, because there was another Elliot present.

... yeah, it would likely be "trying to take revenge by doing something Elliot will get consequences of". However, she literally said evil twin, and it's not entirely impossible she was motivated by something based on some evil twin in some movie.

23 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Crazy, in other words. PTSD.

I just said it wasn't enough time for PTSD. It was the less popular Acute one. You can't be diagnosed with PTSD unless it was at least month from the stress.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I just said it wasn't enough time for PTSD. It was the less popular Acute one. You can't be diagnosed with PTSD unless it was at least month from the stress.

Fair enough; Ellen was not post her trauma, it was pretty much looming in her face.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:17 AM, ijuin said:

Also, Ellen, like Elliot, basically gets an "F" in Evil.

It's not  core requirement in US high schools. You probably won't see is as a for-credit course here until you hit it in a Political Science or Law program later.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:17 AM, ijuin said:

Also, Ellen, like Elliot, basically gets an "F" in Evil.

11 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It's not  core requirement in US high schools. You probably won't see is as a for-credit course here until you hit it in a Political Science or Law program later.

It's a crazy class.  If you register properly, pay the tuition, buy the books, show up for the lectures, complete the assignments, and study for the exam you WILL fail.  The only way to pass  Intermediate Evil is through some combination of bribery, coercion, deception, threat, and/or violence.

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

It's a crazy class.  If you register properly, pay the tuition, buy the books, show up for the lectures, complete the assignments, and study for the exam you WILL fail.  The only way to pass  Intermediate Evil is through some combination of bribery, coercion, deception, threat, and/or violence.

If you succeed too well, your instructor won't be able to give you a grade; it takes a bit of finesse.

6 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If you succeed too well, your instructor won't be able to give you a grade; it takes a bit of finesse.

So what? It's not like anyone would object if you counterfeit instructors signature under the grade.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

So what? It's not like anyone would object if you counterfeit instructors signature under the grade.

More effective if you haven't already killed the instructor. Or at least if they can't prove he was already dead when he signed the grade sheet.

That reminds me a bit of Assassination Classroom, where the teacher tells the students outright that they have until the end of term to find a way to kill him before he kills them.

On 7/16/2019 at 3:29 AM, Don Edwards said:
On 7/16/2019 at 1:52 AM, hkmaly said:

More effective if you haven't already killed the instructor. Or at least if they can't prove he was already dead when he signed the grade sheet.

Or if they would be too scared to just suggest it.