• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Scotty

NP, Wednesday July 10, 2019

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It does not look like Bridgette got cured of her well intentioned naive optimism.

Nah, that's Ashley talking now, and technically Bridgette was able to help settle the situation by pointing out Kitty's character had never tried pizza before so it reinforces naive optimism.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

It does not look like Bridgette got cured of her well intentioned naive optimism.

Nah, that's Ashley talking now, and technically Bridgette was able to help settle the situation by pointing out Kitty's character had never tried pizza before so it reinforces naive optimism.

Not only Bridgette didn't get cured, seems Ashley would need it too :)

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Not only Bridgette didn't get cured, seems Ashley would need it too :)

It doesn't help that the same naive optimism helped Liz quit smoking. ;)

29 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It doesn't help that the same naive optimism helped Liz quit smoking. ;)

And the message of the NP arc says that if Ashley hasn't tried smoking, she should try it before she criticizes.

Re: the commentary

I think it's better that he left the metaphor open-ended.
I'm sure that we have more than our share of Tolkien fans - they may know that Tolkien despised allegory. Quoth the forward of the book: "I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author."

By leaving it open, Dan broadens the applicability, allowing for the interpretation to lie on the reader's shoulders.

That said, I'm with Kitty - Just garlic bread and chill or something.

15 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

And the message of the NP arc says that if Ashley hasn't tried smoking, she should try it before she criticizes.

There are other ways to know that it's bad to smoke, like having parents that smoked, second hand smoke is like if Mr Largepizza force fed Kitty pizza, she would have a very understandable reason to not like pizza then.

Heck, how else would Ashley have been able to help Liz quit if she didn't have experience with smokers in the past?

On 07/10/2019 at 2:27 PM, AFNB said:

That said, I'm with Kitty - Just garlic bread and chill or something.

I don't like garlic bread. Now, potato pancake ... still, I don't think anything with garlic is good for chilling.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:
On 07/10/2019 at 2:25 PM, Darth Fluffy said:

There are other ways to know that it's bad to smoke, like having parents that smoked, second hand smoke is like if Mr Largepizza force fed Kitty pizza, she would have a very understandable reason to not like pizza then.

Smoking is PRIME example of something you can evaluate purely by smell ... from second-hand smoke. Also, it's proven to be bad for health. Most people would agree that it's not necessary to try how having knife in hearth feels either.

9 hours ago, Scotty said:

Heck, how else would Ashley have been able to help Liz quit if she didn't have experience with smokers in the past?

Internet?

Of course, it's possible Ashley has experience from helping her parents quit smoking.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I don't like garlic bread. Now, potato pancake ... still, I don't think anything with garlic is good for chilling.

I like garlic bread... but I agree that garlic is not a relaxing flavor.

Incidentally, the grammar of Kitty's last sentence there is kind of strange. Anybody know if she's referencing something?

Makes sense, but that still leaves the mystery of the missing leading "[Have/eat] a".

Unless it's just an extension of the trend I've seen online of leaving words and phrases implied that just a few decades ago would have been considered required. However it's strange to see it in dialogue; no one I know IRL talks like that in person!

Just now, ChronosCat said:

Makes sense, but that still leaves the mystery of the missing leading "[Have/eat] a".

Unless it's just an extension of the trend I've seen online of leaving words and phrases implied that just a few decades ago would have been considered required. However it's strange to see it in dialogue; no one I know IRL talks like that in person!

It's a play on the "Netflix and chill" phrase which is usually used as an invitation for sexual activities rather than actually watching netflix. As such I've seen a few people suggest that Kitty was trying to pick up Ashley with that line, but I'm pretty certain she was being literal here.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

It's a play on the "Netflix and chill" phrase which is usually used as an invitation for sexual activities rather than actually watching netflix. As such I've seen a few people suggest that Kitty was trying to pick up Ashley with that line, but I'm pretty certain she was being literal here.

Ashley would be type of person interpreting even the "Netflix and chill" literally ... even if it wouldn't be 2014 in comix, meaning the sexual connotations were just appearing.

After I made that post, someone mentioned "Netflix and chill" in response to the comic somewhere else (I forget where); that was actually the first time I ever heard the phrase.

19 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

After I made that post, someone mentioned "Netflix and chill" in response to the comic somewhere else (I forget where); that was actually the first time I ever heard the phrase.

Well I heard it first here. But I'm learning fast :)