• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Tom Sewell

Story Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Sensei Greg must be so disappointed with Elliot
By now you would think Elliot could restrict his Super Sayan tendencies for actual combat and not struggle to control them for simple emotional distress.

On another hand, in almost half of the comics featuring Elliot's father Mr Dunkle's nose has been deep in a newspaper.  If Elliot had picked up that habit, these stories about how terrible people can be would not have been so much of a surprise to him.

Edited by Pharaoh RutinTutin
Spelling

The "Grr-thanks" bit amuses me. When I am "too angry to function", my anger is rather indiscriminate to the point that I would be yelling at everybody and would NOT be of a mind to thank anybody, so seeing Elliot able to be simultaneously mega-enraged and courteous makes for a bit of an oxymoron.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

That's it, I'm shipping Liz and Elliot.

I don't think she'd survive the dorkiness from him.

5 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

http://egscomics.com/comic/party-036

Too angry to function.

And with his illusion powers it's visible to anyone.

4 hours ago, Servant of Tara Gilesbie said:
4 hours ago, weirdee said:

this might seem offtopic, but in all these years, has anybody ever considered getting all these kids to some kinda magical therapist or something

Ellen's brought it up to Edward, but if he ever followed up on that it wasn't shown to us.

Also, half of forum was recommending it multiple times.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

By now you would think Elliot could restrict his Super Sayan tendencies for actual combat and not struggle to control them for simple emotional distress.

He's not in this kind of distress often ... but yes, I'm sure Sensei Greg would be disappointed.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

On another hand, in almost half of the comics featuring Elliot's father Mr Dunkle's nose has been deep in a newspaper.  If Elliot had picked up that habit, these stories about how terrible people can be should not would not have been so much of a surprise to him.

Apparently he didn't, and his father reading newspapers all the time might actually be the reason.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

The "Grr-thanks" bit amuses me. When I am "too angry to function", my anger is rather indiscriminate to the point that I would be yelling at everybody and would NOT be of a mind to thank anybody, so seeing Elliot able to be simultaneously mega-enraged and courteous makes for a bit of an oxymoron.

A bit, but also totally in-character for him.

Panel 7, Elliot spots a bar while walking, though bubble shows, "I need something to calm down."

Panel 8, Elliot's hand holding a shot glass full of liquid.

Panel 9, Elliot tossing back shot, flames shooting out of mouth as shot ignites.

Panel 10, Elliot's face, mild consternation, thought bubble shows, "Well, damn."

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:

He does make her think. It's subtle, but he's shaking her assumptions.

On 07/10/2019 at 2:50 PM, Tom Sewell said:

Eliot is in severe need of a Grace-hug,

Doesn't need to be specifically Grace, although Grace likely has lot of experience. I'm sure hug from Ashley would work as well. Or Catalina. Or Susan ... ok, that one is not likely to happen, although for someone who dislikes physical contact she has quite lot of on-panel hugs ...

On 07/10/2019 at 2:54 PM, Darth Fluffy said:

Panel 7, Elliot spots a bar while walking, though bubble shows, "I need something to calm down."

Panel 8, Elliot's hand holding a shot glass full of liquid.

Panel 9, Elliot tossing back shot, flames shooting out of mouth as shot ignites.

Panel 10, Elliot's face, mild consternation, thought bubble shows, "Well, damn."

I'm sure those flames, being illusions, are even less capable to ignite something than the fire dudes.

Not speaking about fact that Elliot wouldn't even consider getting something alcoholic.

Also, I suspect that in his state, alcohol wouldn't be likely to calm him down, cool visual effects or not.

But it's definitely funny image.

On 07/10/2019 at 2:56 PM, Darth Fluffy said:
On 07/10/2019 at 2:25 PM, Scotty said:

He does make her think. It's subtle, but he's shaking her assumptions.

Which ones?

(Definitely not the assumption he's cheerleadra.)

12 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

well, thats ONE way to unlock supersayan...

On 07/10/2019 at 2:29 PM, hkmaly said:
On 07/10/2019 at 10:32 AM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

He's not in this kind of distress often ... but yes, I'm sure Sensei Greg would be disappointed.

... on second though, maybe Sensei Greg wouldn't be completely disappointed. Like, disappointed by struggling to control, but he would likely approve of the supersayan effect.

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm sure those flames, being illusions, are even less capable to ignite something than the fire dudes.

Not speaking about fact that Elliot wouldn't even consider getting something alcoholic.

Also, I suspect that in his state, alcohol wouldn't be likely to calm him down, cool visual effects or not.

But it's definitely funny image.

All true.

Which ones?

Panel 2 seems to be a bit of accepting at face value.

Panel 6 appears to be "I didn't see it that way".

Leaving in the next comic seems connected to that, "I trust that you're going to do the best you can to not hurt her."

Befriending Ashley shows Liz is capable of making adjustments. She is ballpark as distant as Susan was initially.

In panel 1, a bit of embarrassment over having smoked (no eye contact), in panel 5, a bit of appreciation, "She didn't even know my name yet".

Aligning one set of observations with new ones; gotta love that expression ...

Weak, as I said, subtle. I expect she'll change over time and become part of their crew, especially if Pandora marked her. Or, who knows, maybe she'll be a major antagonist. For now, if this is in any sense a coming of age story for Elliot, she's helping push it along.

(Definitely not the assumption he's cheerleadra.)

Agree. Panel 7 says, "I don't believe you, but I'll drop it."

Well, the point of contention between them isn't whether or not Elliot is Ch...that superhero. Elliot knows she thinks he is and doesn't believe his denial - and there's nothing more he can do to persuade her; meanwhile she shouldn't think she can get him to admit it. At this point, even if he weren't, the fact that she thinks he is would be what matters out of that - and the reason it matters is that it's one factor contributing to her worry about Ashley's safety.

In fact, safety-wise the biggest problem would probably be if (a) lots of people think he is, and (b) he's just an ordinary high-school-level martial artist with  no magical or supernatural abilities. People might show up intending and prepared to take down that superhero (according to their estimate of her abilities), and ordinary Elliot wouldn't be able to deal with what they'd bring.

Dan's given himself five days before putting up another comic. I'm guessing we won't see Liz again for awhile. 

However, it was still maybe a little into the first class period at MNHS at the end of this comic, and, of course, MSHS. Maybe Dan will jump to the start of the party next, but I can see an interesting alternative to that. There are three known dates set up for tonight, Diane-Lucy, Justin-Luke, and Sarah-Sam. They might all be at the same bowling alley, which could set up some interesting interactions, especially between the three partners who don't know their partners have magic.

7 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

There are three known dates set up for tonight, Diane-Lucy, Justin-Luke, and Sarah-Sam. They might all be at the same bowling alley, which could set up some interesting interactions, especially between the three partners who don't know their partners have magic.

Justin has magic, Luke knows this, Luke sees auras, Justin knows this.

Sarah has magic, Sam doesn't know this. Sam has magic, Sarah doesn't know this. There's two.

Diane is a potential vampire hunter, but we've not seen any magic on her part, yet, although she's witnessed quite a bit, and is now aware of her heritage, although probably not so much what that means. Lucy doesn't know any of this. As far as we know, Lucy has no magic, yet. Not much for Diane to know.

Are you counting Lucy as the third?

23 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

That doesn't answer the question "which assumptions".

23 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I expect she'll change over time and become part of their crew, especially if Pandora marked her.

Well, yes, she probably will, because the crew is becoming bigger.

21 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

In fact, safety-wise the biggest problem would probably be if (a) lots of people think he is, and (b) he's just an ordinary high-school-level martial artist with  no magical or supernatural abilities. People might show up intending and prepared to take down that superhero (according to their estimate of her abilities), and ordinary Elliot wouldn't be able to deal with what they'd bring.

Luckily, he IS Cheerleadra and the party would be loaded with people with magical abilities.

He just barely managed to avoid saying that.

11 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
20 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

There are three known dates set up for tonight, Diane-Lucy, Justin-Luke, and Sarah-Sam. They might all be at the same bowling alley, which could set up some interesting interactions, especially between the three partners who don't know their partners have magic.

Justin has magic, Luke knows this, Luke sees auras, Justin knows this.

Sarah has magic, Sam doesn't know this. Sam has magic, Sarah doesn't know this. There's two.

Diane is a potential vampire hunter, but we've not seen any magic on her part, yet, although she's witnessed quite a bit, and is now aware of her heritage, although probably not so much what that means. Lucy doesn't know any of this. As far as we know, Lucy has no magic, yet. Not much for Diane to know.

Yes, they will be four people with magic in that group plus Diane knowing ABOUT magic but not having any herself yet.

But regarding information ... like, Diane got lot of information from Nanase and Ellen, and she saw Susan, but does Justin and Sarah KNOW that? Or will they assume she doesn't know about magic?

10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That doesn't answer the question "which assumptions".

Her negative assumptions about people in general that caused her to isolate herself initially.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yes, they will be four people with magic in that group plus Diane knowing ABOUT magic but not having any herself yet.

Surely you didn't miss the question to Tom Sewell, "Are you counting Lucy as the third ?"

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

But regarding information ... like, Diane got lot of information from Nanase and Ellen, and she saw Susan, but does Justin and Sarah KNOW that? Or will they assume she doesn't know about magic?

I don't recall that Justin has any reason to think Diane has seen magic in action (not recalling if the New Years incident is common knowledge for the group) but he is close to both Nanase and to Susan, either of which would be likely to share stuff with him. Nanase in particular would have had reason to comment to Justin about observations of Diane. Plus, they go to the same school and have lunch together, so it's a topic to take up time.

Sarah is close to Susan, but Susan shut down a bit after the mall incident. She doesn't have as much contact with Nanase. Unless she learned something from Ellen, she probably does not know. ... She may not even be aware of Diane as a person. Have they crossed paths?

Of course Lucy is the third partner who doesn't know about magic. However, as far as we know, Diane doesn't have magic, yet, although it's quite possible Pandora marked her as soon as she found out Diane was her granddaughter.

By the way, Sarah could use her power to examine Sam without him knowing , and while Sarah might not be looking for a magic mark, I can see her taking an interest in exploring Sam's manscape and stumbling on the mark.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Of course Lucy is the third partner who doesn't know about magic. However, as far as we know, Diane doesn't have magic, yet, although it's quite possible Pandora marked her as soon as she found out Diane was her granddaughter.

The third conversation about magic is not going to happen yet, I don't think. They have a lot on their plate, coming out to each other, getting to know one another in a new light, and establishing their relationship. I expect that magic will be a topic someday soon, but not on their first date.

Lucy potentially has some exposure to magic; she knows Nanase, we don't know the extent of who has witnessed her floating. Apparently, it is not common knowledge. You've got to wonder why, if a few people have seen it, has it not become a pervasive rumor. She's also a bit in tune with accepting it, she plays fantasy video games.

Seems she also hides what she's thinking; this could be a fall out of years of association with Diane, and Diane being both insightful and judgemental, although Lucy seems to share those traits, particularly being judgemental.

Would she believe Diane, if Diane related events? Diane seems to have a handle on "Keep it on the down low", would she spill the beans? She's met the magic police, has probably been debriefed off screen and warned to keep quiet about what she's witnessed in lieu of a memory wipe. They may even have wiped some of what she'd seen, we really don't know. 

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

By the way, Sarah could use her power to examine Sam without him knowing , and while Sarah might not be looking for a magic mark, I can see her taking an interest in exploring Sam's manscape and stumbling on the mark.

Would seeing the mark tell her much? I guess it could lead to "What is your magic?", but she doesn't know that Sam is aware of the mark nor what it grants him. She knows from her own mark that even knowing that she has it and what they do in a general sense, it was quite a bit of effort to figure out what her magic was, and she needed help to pin it down. Sam's is more clear cut, but she doesn't know that. (She might know that in general, other people's marks are more straight forward than hers.)

Actually, I don't see them being honest with each other, either. Sam's mark is tied to Sam's gender identity, and Sam does not want to come out again; Sam is not going to speak up. And Sarah has been warned to not tell Edward, so she's probably going to withhold information on general principles. Sam is pretty much just an acquaintance she's interested in, not a trusted friend. She knows they're less close than she wants them to be.

11 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The third conversation about magic is not going to happen yet, I don't think. They have a lot on their plate, coming out to each other, getting to know one another in a new light, and establishing their relationship. I expect that magic will be a topic someday soon, but not on their first date.

That would be the safe and sane way to go, but this is EGS, so I wouldn't bet any cookies on it. Maybe the most low-key factor to bring magic into the date is Luke's spell. Luke hasn't met Diane yet. Even if Diane doesn't have a mark, she might have a powerful aura. Remember, Luke was blinded by Tedd's aura before Pandora marked them.

20 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Would she believe Diane, if Diane related events? Diane seems to have a handle on "Keep it on the down low", would she spill the beans? She's met the magic police, has probably been debriefed off screen and warned to keep quiet about what she's witnessed in lieu of a memory wipe. They may even have wiped some of what she'd seen, we really don't know. 

Diane has met Edward, Wolf, and Cranium, but the real magic police starts with Arthur, whom Diane hasn't met in canon. We don't even know if Diane has ever seen Arthur's interview on TV after the dragon incident.

However, Diane did meet Ashley on the night of Ashley's first date--and the night Diane was attacked by a vampire. I could see curiosity about Elliot's new girlfriend as a motivator for Diane wanting to go to the party.

32 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

If the Magic Police could erase memories, I don't think they would need people like Edward and Arthur so much. No neutralizers, please. I could see Tedd building something like Rick Dicker's memory eraser from the Incredibles; it's just the kind of off-the-wall contraption that suits the Mad Scientist side of Tedd. Remember when he tried to make a potato into an energy source? But if Tedd actually built something like that he would have tried to  use it by now.

41 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Would seeing the mark tell her (Sarah) much? I guess it could lead to "What is your magic?", but she doesn't know that Sam is aware of the mark nor what it grants him.

Pandora warned Sarah about keeping her own spell secret, so Sarah should be less likely to tell Sam without a lot of consideration. But if Sarah knows Sam has magic, she's going to wonder why he's concealing it.