• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Tom Sewell

Story Wednesday, July 10, 2019

39 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Diane has met Edward, Wolf, and Cranium, but the real magic police starts with Arthur, whom Diane hasn't met in canon. We don't even know if Diane has ever seen Arthur's interview on TV after the dragon incident.

Wolf and Cranium still work for Arthur, they're just willing to come to Edward's aid if possible, I doubt Wolf and Cranium would have been forbidden from doing so, but they certainly count as "Magic Police"

45 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

However, Diane did meet Ashley on the night of Ashley's first date--and the night Diane was attacked by a vampire. I could see curiosity about Elliot's new girlfriend as a motivator for Diane wanting to go to the party.

Unless Susan invited Diane (which would mean Susan decided to go) I don't see Diane having any motivation to attend, the last time Diane saw Elliot and Ashley, her motivation to have Elliot as her boyfriend faded, and she's since hooked up with Lucy.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

That would be the safe and sane way to go, but this is EGS, so I wouldn't bet any cookies on it. Maybe the most low-key factor to bring magic into the date is Luke's spell. Luke hasn't met Diane yet. Even if Diane doesn't have a mark, she might have a powerful aura. Remember, Luke was blinded by Tedd's aura before Pandora marked them.

You're right, from Tara's reaction, Diane must have some kind of aura. I would be curious to see what Luke sees as a panel.

Diane has met Edward, Wolf, and Cranium, but the real magic police starts with Arthur, whom Diane hasn't met in canon. We don't even know if Diane has ever seen Arthur's interview on TV after the dragon incident.

If I have this straight, Edward was the head of what Arthur is now; he's been moved sideways to be an "ambassador", but that does not seem to mean, "Left the FBI and joined the State Department', in fact appears to report to the same guy, and Wolf and Cranium haven't been moved at all, at least that we've seen. His new duties are not described in any detail, it almost seems like he has carte blanche to do whatever he deems necessary, that or he's gone rogue and is frequently acting on his own authority, aided and abetted by former underlings. The only real effect of the status change that we've seen is he wasn't the figurehead on TV. Arthur, on the other hand, does his department head job, but does not do hands on missions, kind of less of a magic cop and more of a savvy figurehead. So why are Edward, Wolf, and Cranium not magic cops but Arthur is?

It does seem odd that Edward was able to involve himself with missions if he was the organizational head. We don't know the size of the organization, we only know of a few employees, always the same ones, but they could be the Moperville Hotspot branch. The size of the junk magic items warehouse seems to point to typical large government organization. Oh, we've seen his meetings, there's more people, and Lavender, who's not an alien ... actually, he still has his meetings ... still a magic cop.

If the Magic Police could erase memories, I don't think they would need people like Edward and Arthur so much. No neutralizers, please. I could see Tedd building something like Rick Dicker's memory eraser from the Incredibles; it's just the kind of off-the-wall contraption that suits the Mad Scientist side of Tedd. Remember when he tried to make a potato into an energy source? But if Tedd actually built something like that he would have tried to  use it by now.

I think it's canon that they can do that, I recall someone making an off-handed remark that they could have, but I may be mistaken. If I find it, I'll post it.

However, Diane did meet Ashley on the night of Ashley's first date--and the night Diane was attacked by a vampire. I could see curiosity about Elliot's new girlfriend as a motivator for Diane wanting to go to the party.

She seems to be past obsessing about Elliot, if that's what you mean. She seemed to think Ashley was more suited to Elliot than she herself was, and now she's pretty committed to Lucy; first date, but they've been friends for a long time.

Pandora warned Sarah about keeping her own spell secret, so Sarah should be less likely to tell Sam without a lot of consideration. But if Sarah knows Sam has magic, she's going to wonder why he's concealing it.

She wouldn't leap to that conclusion. She knows they can be difficult to spot (I think they all have been?), and that you might not be aware you have magic. She actually knows quite a bit.

9 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

By the way, Sarah could use her power to examine Sam without him knowing , and while Sarah might not be looking for a magic mark, I can see her taking an interest in exploring Sam's manscape and stumbling on the mark.

That seems like quite the invasion of privacy. I mean, unlike Elliot I'm sure she consciously fantasizes about real people, but her simulations have more reality to them than something she completely made up in her head, as their starting positions copy reality precisely. Taking someone's clothes off in a simulation seems akin to peeping on them without their knowledge or consent while they're undressed. She might be tempted, and she might even do it with friends she knows wouldn't mind (specifically Tedd and Grace; though even then I think she might double check with them first), but I can't see her actually doing it with people she doesn't know well or suspects would have a problem with it.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

You're right, from Tara's reaction, Diane must have some kind of aura. I would be curious to see what Luke sees as a panel.

As far as I can tell Luke's spell only tells him whether someone's marked with a spell, or has awakened, even Tedd described it as a Magic Prowess Detection spell, and so far he hasn't learned how to tell the difference between someone marked and someone freshly awakened so there's an obvious gradient involved. I would guess though that with repeated use and awakening on Luke's part, he'd eventually get an upgrade to that spell that let's him detect Magic Potential like Tara used on Diane. The difference being "I can see that you can use magic right now" versus "I can see what kind of magic you'd get should you start learning.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

Oh, my, that would be sort of like this. And Sarah has revealed she has those thoughts about Sam.

Sarah's gotten pretty lewd lately hasn't she? She basically complains that Elliot hasn't taken her virginity yet, has that moment in MV5, wants to see Justin and Luke make out, used her spell to play with some doggy Elliots, then the statement about Sam.

2 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

"Nowadays" in Moperville is January in northern Illinois, so bikinis aren't usually outdoor wear. Unless, of course, you have fur, or are Cheerleadra.

Could be party wear, though...

I meant her opinion towards bikinis has changed, or her personality in general has been softened compared to how she was originally with the whole "Sarah's a prude" gag basically no longer a thing.

On 7/13/2019 at 1:57 AM, Darth Fluffy said:
On 7/13/2019 at 1:33 AM, hkmaly said:

Yes, they will be four people with magic in that group plus Diane knowing ABOUT magic but not having any herself yet.

Surely you didn't miss the question to Tom Sewell, "Are you counting Lucy as the third ?"

Not sure about Sewell but I'm counting Justin, Luke, Sarah and Sam.

On 7/13/2019 at 0:38 PM, Darth Fluffy said:

Lucy potentially has some exposure to magic; she knows Nanase, we don't know the extent of who has witnessed her floating. Apparently, it is not common knowledge. You've got to wonder why, if a few people have seen it, has it not become a pervasive rumor. She's also a bit in tune with accepting it, she plays fantasy video games.

The thing is that while she was floating in front of basically everyone, not everyone was likely to notice.

Would she believe Diane, if Diane related events? Diane seems to have a handle on "Keep it on the down low", would she spill the beans? She's met the magic police, has probably been debriefed off screen and warned to keep quiet about what she's witnessed in lieu of a memory wipe. They may even have wiped some of what she'd seen, we really don't know. 

We didn't see ANY memory wipe or alterations in EGS. While MiB is using it massively, in reality altering memory would be hard to do properly and safely. I can totally see that they implied it as a threat but are only using it sparely if ever BECAUSE it's not so easy as in MiB.

Note what happened after the new year incident: they were talking if they should or shouldn't tell those people what happened to them, and it was mentioned they are unlikely to remember it ... but nothing was said about altering their memory if they do.

On 7/13/2019 at 1:42 PM, Tom Sewell said:

If the Magic Police could erase memories, I don't think they would need people like Edward and Arthur so much. No neutralizers, please. I could see Tedd building something like Rick Dicker's memory eraser from the Incredibles; it's just the kind of off-the-wall contraption that suits the Mad Scientist side of Tedd. Remember when he tried to make a potato into an energy source? But if Tedd actually built something like that he would have tried to  use it by now.

Yes.

Also note Dan's motivation for "no time travel": he doesn't want any undo buttons. Memory erasers, while not as strong as time travel, can be seen as undo buttons.

The third conversation about magic is not going to happen yet, I don't think. They have a lot on their plate, coming out to each other, getting to know one another in a new light, and establishing their relationship. I expect that magic will be a topic someday soon, but not on their first date.

That would be the safe and sane way to go, but this is EGS, so I wouldn't bet any cookies on it. Maybe the most low-key factor to bring magic into the date is Luke's spell. Luke hasn't met Diane yet. Even if Diane doesn't have a mark, she might have a powerful aura. Remember, Luke was blinded by Tedd's aura before Pandora marked them.

But Tedd is a SEER. I don't think Diane's aura is so exceptional. He might see SOME difference, but ...

On 7/13/2019 at 9:37 PM, Scotty said:
On 7/13/2019 at 5:04 PM, Darth Fluffy said:

As far as I can tell Luke's spell only tells him whether someone's marked with a spell, or has awakened, even Tedd described it as a Magic Prowess Detection spell, and so far he hasn't learned how to tell the difference between someone marked and someone freshly awakened so there's an obvious gradient involved. I would guess though that with repeated use and awakening on Luke's part, he'd eventually get an upgrade to that spell that let's him detect Magic Potential like Tara used on Diane. The difference being "I can see that you can use magic right now" versus "I can see what kind of magic you'd get should you start learning.

... he's unlikely to understand what those differences means without some spell upgrade.

On 7/13/2019 at 2:31 PM, Scotty said:

Wolf and Cranium still work for Arthur, they're just willing to come to Edward's aid if possible, I doubt Wolf and Cranium would have been forbidden from doing so, but they certainly count as "Magic Police"

I'm pretty sure Edward, even in different department, still counts as part of "Magic Police". But yes, Wolf and Cranium works for Arthur now.

And while they are willing to come to Edward's aid, I would note that they likely CAN say it was official action based on report of magic use.

On 7/13/2019 at 5:04 PM, Darth Fluffy said:

The only real effect of the status change that we've seen is he wasn't the figurehead on TV.

The effect is that he now lack the authority to cover up if main eight does something stupid. Luckily, they didn't yet. Being attacked by NotTengu is not their fault.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

But Tedd is a SEER. I don't think Diane's aura is so exceptional.

Tedd has never met Diane.

Also, I already explained that Lucy was the third person scheduled for a Friday-night date who doesn't know her date has magic, and that technically as far as we know Diane doesn't have magic either--yet, although she obviously has a magical aura since Dame Tara could detect her potential.

3 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
12 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

But Tedd is a SEER. I don't think Diane's aura is so exceptional.

Tedd has never met Diane.

Also, I already explained that Lucy was the third person scheduled for a Friday-night date who doesn't know her date has magic, and that technically as far as we know Diane doesn't have magic either--yet, although she obviously has a magical aura since Dame Tara could detect her potential.

Tedd is only able to see someone USING magic, he won't see anything about Diane. I was commenting that as a seer, he has very unique aura.

Luke possibly could, but he's nowhere near as experienced as Dame Tara. He's unlikely to know what it means. He's likely to see that she's neither marked nor awakened, though. Assuming she's still not marked.

17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Remember, Luke was blinded by Tedd's aura before Pandora marked them.

As I recall, the timing is not that clear. It's entirely possible that Luke was blinded by Tedd's aura while Pandora was marking Tedd.

54 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Tedd is only able to see someone USING magic, he won't see anything about Diane. I was commenting that as a seer, he has very unique aura.

48 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

As I recall, the timing is not that clear. It's entirely possible that Luke was blinded by Tedd's aura while Pandora was marking Tedd.

So, Don Edwards, the timing is pretty clear, and there's a whole tournament round between the time Pandora marked Tedd, and the time Luke was blinded. But hkmaly  has a point: Even Tedd wasn't sure he could detect a mark and said he couldn't detect one on Susan (although by that time Susan had awakened--and Tedd had never seen Susan using her magic--still hasn't.). Tedd says he did see Luke using his spell, but not that Luke has a mark, so it may be that Tedd can't detect magic marks with his own magic--or couldn't. Since Tedd did see Luke using his spell, and Tedd is a wizard, he might have learned Luke's spell. 

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Tedd had never seen Susan using her magic--still hasn't.

If I recall correctly, Tedd was the subject of a few hammer retrievals (and subsequent whacking). I don't recall which way he was facing, though, I suppose he could have missed the retrieval.

Since Tedd did see Luke using his spell, and Tedd is a wizard, he might have learned Luke's spell. 

Seems like he should have. Maybe he has to be aware that he wants to; actively analyzing, not passive knowledge. I don't think either has been stated.

4 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

So, Don Edwards, the timing is pretty clear, and there's a whole tournament round between the time Pandora marked Tedd, and the time Luke was blinded.

Note that Pandora directly said that the spell will not work properly on Tedd. Just for case someone would try to argue that it was Pandora who blinded him and not Tedd himself.

But hkmaly  has a point: Even Tedd wasn't sure he could detect a mark and said he couldn't detect one on Susan (although by that time Susan had awakened--and Tedd had never seen Susan using her magic--still hasn't.). Tedd says he did see Luke using his spell, but not that Luke has a mark, so it may be that Tedd can't detect magic marks with his own magic--or couldn't. Since Tedd did see Luke using his spell, and Tedd is a wizard, he might have learned Luke's spell. 

Tedd's magic vision and Luke's aura detection spell work on different principle. Tedd can't see if someone is awakened and Luke can't see and analyze spells.

31 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Tedd had never seen Susan using her magic--still hasn't.

If I recall correctly, Tedd was the subject of a few hammer retrievals (and subsequent whacking). I don't recall which way he was facing, though, I suppose he could have missed the retrieval.

Tedd saw Susan using her fairy doll spell and explained a lot about it. How could you forget?

31 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Since Tedd did see Luke using his spell, and Tedd is a wizard, he might have learned Luke's spell. 

Seems like he should have. Maybe he has to be aware that he wants to; actively analyzing, not passive knowledge. I don't think either has been stated.

Remember that Tedd is a wand-maker. He can't learn a spell then cast it: his wizard ability means that he learns the spell then is able to make a wand with it. And yes, I think at this point Tedd would be able to make a wand with Luke's spell.

His mark spell for changing genders will forever stay only spell he can cast directly.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

The thing is that while she was floating in front of basically everyone, not everyone was likely to notice.

Diane did say that half the school's seen Nanase floating around, maybe she's exaggerating but she's probably heard enough people mentioning it to believe that a good number of people have seen it.

We can probably compare it to Susan's "Hammer Queen" reputation, Susan hadn't been very discreet with hammering fools in school and so has become known for it.

5 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note what happened after the new year incident: they were talking if they should or shouldn't tell those people what happened to them, and it was mentioned they are unlikely to remember it ... but nothing was said about altering their memory if they do.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also note Dan's motivation for "no time travel": he doesn't want any undo buttons. Memory erasers, while not as strong as time travel, can be seen as undo buttons.

It's technically possible, I mean the college students that drank the punch were left with no memory of being mind controlled and transformed because the mind controll aspect prevented them from noticing that things were happening to them, so it's kinda the same

On 7/13/2019 at 7:42 AM, Tom Sewell said:
On 7/13/2019 at 6:38 AM, Darth Fluffy said:

The third conversation about magic is not going to happen yet, I don't think. They have a lot on their plate, coming out to each other, getting to know one another in a new light, and establishing their relationship. I expect that magic will be a topic someday soon, but not on their first date.

But Tedd is a SEER. I don't think Diane's aura is so exceptional. He might see SOME difference, but ...

Luke possibly could, but he's nowhere near as experienced as Dame Tara. He's unlikely to know what it means. He's likely to see that she's neither marked nor awakened, though. Assuming she's still not marked.

I doubt Diane's been marked thought, she has the potential but if she's going to develop it, it's probably going to be naturally, through the use of wands or something with Adrian teaching her and Susan.

... he's unlikely to understand what those differences means without some spell upgrade.

That's what I was saying.

I'm pretty sure Edward, even in different department, still counts as part of "Magic Police". But yes, Wolf and Cranium works for Arthur now.

And while they are willing to come to Edward's aid, I would note that they likely CAN say it was official action based on report of magic use.

I'm certain they had to report the Not_Tengu incident. but what I meant was that Arthur isn't likely to reprimand Wolf and Cranium for answering Edward's request for aid on the fact that Edward's no longer their boss, we've seen how Arthur views Edward as valuable to Earth's safety.

5 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Considering Pandora was apparently warning Luke about the dangers of "looking" at Tedd, I suspect it's not because she was in the process of marking Tedd. If I were to guess though, Pandora likely marked Tedd sometime between her appearance next to him(as Tom also linked), and when Tedd had his "there's a name for it" moment, at the lastest it could have been when Tedd's desire to be a girl was strongest, which was just moments before Luke "looked" at him, it is entirely possible that Pandora marked Tedd, then because she was still in the vicinity, was able to notice that Luke was going to "look" at Tedd. I'd believe it was a sequence of events, rather than all at once.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Tedd says he did see Luke using his spell, but not that Luke has a mark, so it may be that Tedd can't detect magic marks with his own magic--or couldn't. Since Tedd did see Luke using his spell, and Tedd is a wizard, he might have learned Luke's spell. 

Tedd wasn't aware at the time that he was actually learning the spells he saw, but now that he does know, he most certainly can make a wand with Luke's spell on it.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The hammers, prior to Susan's awakening was a spell that Jerry designed for all women to be able to use, so even if Tedd didn't see Susan using it(although yeah it's possible), he did see Sarah using them.

36 minutes ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's technically possible, I mean the college students that drank the punch were left with no memory of being mind controlled and transformed because the mind controll aspect prevented them from noticing that things were happening to them, so it's kinda the same

There is one important factor: the college students didn't forget anything happening BEFORE they drank the punch.

It's EASY to prevent forming memories. It's hard to remove (specific long-term) memories already formed, because they could be all over the brain and are not "tagged" with creation date.

I suspect there IS spell which makes possible to remove all target's memories created since the spell was cast on them. It basically works by tagging all new memories.

I'm certain they had to report the Not_Tengu incident. but what I meant was that Arthur isn't likely to reprimand Wolf and Cranium for answering Edward's request for aid on the fact that Edward's no longer their boss, we've seen how Arthur views Edward as valuable to Earth's safety.

While true, my point was that he would be unlikely to object to action resulting in capture of known fugitive during magical attack on people not knowing about magic done carefully enough there was no publicity even if it WASN'T Edward's request.

(His motivation for not helping with the dragon was that the incident was too public.)

Considering Pandora was apparently warning Luke about the dangers of "looking" at Tedd

Hmmm ... in hindsight it's not completely clear, but my understanding was that she "warned" him when she was "explaining" him the spell she's giving him.

Because most likely, marking someone without telling him is against the rules, and telling him in way he can't hear it is a loophole Pandora used.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Tedd saw Susan using her fairy doll spell and explained a lot about it.

Good point; Tedd knows Susan has magic.

How could you forget?

I do hope your tongue is firmly pressing against your cheek. I haven't, nor intend to, memorize every detail of EGS nor any other comic I read. That space is already full of "Kill the wabbit" and such.

Remember that Tedd is a wand-maker. He can't learn a spell then cast it: his wizard ability means that he learns the spell then is able to make a wand with it. And yes, I think at this point Tedd would be able to make a wand with Luke's spell.

His mark spell for changing genders will forever stay only spell he can cast directly.

I could see him adding it as a feature to the glasses. At the very least wearing the spell as a watch.

I'd bet cookies that there will be a loophole and Tedd will cast more. Of course, they'd be here, so I'd probably eat them anyway.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Tedd saw Susan using her fairy doll spell and explained a lot about it. How could you forget?

Susan isn't shown summoning any fairy dolls in the entirety of Playing With Dolls. Susan has Little Nase with her at Tedd's, but we don't know when Susan summoned her. And when we see her sleeping with a bunch of her dolls in the last comic, she would have had to take them home and put her in her chest or whatever she uses along with the original fairy doll before she could summon them.

And, breaking news, the Monday Comic is up.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Everyone at her school seemed to have seen Susan hammer some guy, but the only one who seemed to notice Susan summoning her sword was Greg, who is not a student, not faculty, and above all, definitely, not Tedd. Tedd and Elliot only showed up after the fight with the Goo Monster in Sister was over. So, aside from the hammers, Tedd has never seen Susan use her magic in canon. Dan can retcon it in if he wishes, but it's not there now.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

Let's see now, two generations removed from an Immortal. How many other characters in EGS have that in their resume?

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Let's not forget that Arthur wasn't willing to send help against that summoned dragon, a menace that he clearly knew couldn't be stopped without magic. Remember, they are the Secret (Magic) Police.

I kind of think Dan regrets putting that plot point in. Arthur has gotten very much nicer since.

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

Let's see now, two generations removed from an Immortal. How many other characters in EGS have that in their resume?

Well Immortal magic is undetectable so.....

That probably doesn't mean much once you get human DNA into the mix, seeing as Abraham was able to sense Adrian's presence in the school, but Adrian is a trained wizard who's pretty powerful and been around a while, Diane's 18 years old and has never used magic, I don't really think her being 1/4 Immortal makes her any more special than Susan before Susan got marked..

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I don't really think her being 1/4 Immortal makes her any more special than Susan before Susan got marked..

How about 3/4 Immortal? Adrian doesn't know seem to know much about Diane's mom...