• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Wednesday, July 17, 2019

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Cool factoid. Is that true for rodents in general?

Not following you. Why can Grace produce an uryuom egg? I don't recall that. The second part makes less sense, I think the egg/uterus is either/or, although like many things, if you dig deep enough you might find exceptions.

Out of all known mammal groups, only primates lack the ability to produce Vitamin C--we apparently contain a broken (mutated) version of the gene for it.

Grace is suspected of being able to produce an Uryuom egg solo because her Uryuom genes came from Mr. Guyer, who had that ability (and who apparently produced the egg from which she hatched). Ordinarily it takes at least two Uryuom participants to produce a viable egg.

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

Out of all known mammal groups, only primates lack the ability to produce Vitamin C--we apparently contain a broken (mutated) version of the gene for it.

So that's why we have opposable thumbs?  To peel all that fruit we are now compelled to consume?

3 hours ago, ijuin said:

It is a weird trait to loose. Our ancestors were eating so much fruit that being able to make our own vitamin C was not longer a factor in survival?

I think it's relevant to the conversation about Grace's fertility and Uryuom reproduction, that according to Mr. Verres Grace could get pregnant in her human form (the one we originally saw her in, with the antennae) but not in her part-squirrel form. Of course, this comic was before the origin of Grace and her siblings was retconned, but it doesn't necessarily mean the factoid is untrue.

3 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I think it's relevant to the conversation about Grace's fertility and Uryuom reproduction, that according to Mr. Verres Grace could get pregnant in her human form (the one we originally saw her in, with the antennae) but not in her part-squirrel form. Of course, this comic was before the origin of Grace and her siblings was retconned, but it doesn't necessarily mean the factoid is untrue.

So, with respect to Tedd, does that count as normal healthy sex with his girlfriend, furry f*@#ing, mostly bestiality, or all of the above? Or maybe, in the grand tradition of Capt. James T. Kirk, banging the alien babe; like father, like son?

I'm not sure I'm mature enough for this comic. Let me check ... nope, definitely not. <shrug>

23 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Might they even have the ability to plant false memories?

... that was what I was talking about.

The premise was a non-overlapping set of amino acids, some from earth, some from elsewhere. If nothing on earth normally contained some of the amino acids her body needed, she would need supplements.

That's false premise. She may be able to produce the amino acids her body needs from something else. It's not like there is limited amount of amino acids all organisms are using ; there are species which create them.

On 7/29/2019 at 9:21 PM, hkmaly said:

In fact, Grace is already hybrid, not pure lespuko, and she might need some of those ability no matter who she would mate with.

Sorry, lost me again; I'm not seeing the distinction between hybrid and lespuko. (Backing up a second, she's not a hybrid as we understand it in our universe, a produce of two different life forms that are close enough to naturally interbreed. It's all about the egg/blender)

You forgot what lespuko is then. Lespuko is species from Uryuom planet distinct from Uryuoms, something like apes are not humans. ONE of Grace's parent was lespuko.

On 7/29/2019 at 9:21 PM, hkmaly said:

Maybe they STARTED with egg, ...

Tough to imagine this making evolutionary sense. The uryuoms are then the first sex, defined as sexless (at least by earth standards) and the second sex is the passive, temporary shelter egg, which if not for the genetic maintenance function it must play, would be just a shelter for the sperm-analogs.

You forgot that the temporary egg is usually - and possibly originally always - coming from same parents.

It's possible that originally they started to just mixed material from their bodies to make eggs from them, then the material started to specialize until it was possible to make the egg without providing DNA in same time ; the reason why would be that it allowed the egg to prepare before the sperm analogs will be inserted and the complicated process of mixing their DNA happens.

The implication is that the uryuoms are more recently out of the sea

Not at all. It's just that the evolution of the egg STARTED when they were more recently out of the sea than we are.

13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
17 hours ago, ijuin said:

It is a weird trait to loose. Our ancestors were eating so much fruit that being able to make our own vitamin C was not longer a factor in survival?

No. Well, partially.

There is another related mutation which allows us to use uric acid instead of vitamic C in most uses. There was enough vitamin C in diet for the rest.

It's still weird trait to lose. But it happened multiple times (also in guinea pigs, bats, teleost fishes and some birds) so either there is something we don't understand about it or the related gene is easy to damage ...

8 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
12 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

So, with respect to Tedd, does that count as normal healthy sex with his girlfriend, furry f*@#ing, mostly bestiality, or all of the above? Or maybe, in the grand tradition of Capt. James T. Kirk, banging the alien babe; like father, like son?

I would say that ANY sex Tedd has with Grace is banging the alien babe, no matter what form she's in.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

That's false premise. She may be able to produce the amino acids her body needs from something else. It's not like there is limited amount of amino acids all organisms are using ; there are species which create them.

Nope, missing the point. An amino acid is a member of a family of organic molecules. Earth life uses a limited set of those. It is not much of a stretch to think that life from another world that is similar to ours might not use the same exact set. In turn, the codons that construct the proteins from a different set would themselves also have to be somewhat different. 

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

You forgot what lespuko is then. Lespuko is species from Uryuom planet distinct from Uryuoms, something like apes are not humans. ONE of Grace's parent was lespuko.

Apparently so; now that you mention it, I vaguely remember it.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

You forgot that the temporary egg is usually - and possibly originally always - coming from same parents.

Nope, although I think it was you that pointed out that wasn't true in Grace's case; only one Uryuom parent who provided the egg.

The constructed egg takes on the role of another stage in reproduction, another sex. It has to filter and assemble a disparate set of genomes into a single viable genome. It does more than just shelter and provide food and environment for an embryo.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Not at all. It's just that the evolution of the egg STARTED when they were more recently out of the sea than we are.

Their eggs are reminiscent of egg shelters that sea life builds.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

... or the related gene is easy to damage ...

... or lends itself to being repurposed.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I would say that ANY sex Tedd has with Grace is banging the alien babe, no matter what form she's in.

Funny, I'd go with normal healthy sex with his girlfriend , because I think that's how he thinks of her, no matter what form she's in.

18 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Nope, missing the point. An amino acid is a member of a family of organic molecules. Earth life uses a limited set of those. It is not much of a stretch to think that life from another world that is similar to ours might not use the same exact set. In turn, the codons that construct the proteins from a different set would themselves also have to be somewhat different. 

I think if the uryuom egg wouldn't somehow solve it the result would be corpse, not just someone needing exotic chemicals to stay healthy.

Either the biochemistry of human and uryuom is not that different (not sure how THAT might be explained, but if Dan says so then it will be true regardless) or the egg, when combining the DNA, somehow ensures that all DNA sequences will be decoded correctly (for example, human enzymes would be used to decode human parts of DNA and uryuom enzymes would be used to decode uryuom parts of DNA).

It's just part of how wonderful (or impossible) the egg is.

Nope, although I think it was you that pointed out that wasn't true in Grace's case; only one Uryuom parent who provided the egg.

The constructed egg takes on the role of another stage in reproduction, another sex. It has to filter and assemble a disparate set of genomes into a single viable genome. It does more than just shelter and provide food and environment for an embryo.

It does NOW. We are speaking about how it evolved, don't we?

Their eggs are reminiscent of egg shelters that sea life builds.

My point was that lot of time could passed since proto-Uryuom eggs started to evolve to universal DNA combiner instead of the evolution path which happened on Earth and ended with mammals where egg won't leave mother's body.

Funny, I'd go with normal healthy sex with his girlfriend , because I think that's how he thinks of her, no matter what form she's in.

Are you saying banging the alien babe is not normal and/or healthy?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It worked on Star Trek TOS, but I'm going to say here that it would not be normal or healthy outside of contrived fiction. Possibly merely incompatible, possibly hazardous, almost certainly full of squick; and you're in the uncanny valley if you get close, so much so that even if you had a common past ancestor, at stellar distances, with divergent evolutionary pressure, you may get there anyway. Granted, Grace is cute, but that's the power of fiction.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It worked on Star Trek TOS, but I'm going to say here that it would not be normal or healthy outside of contrived fiction. Possibly merely incompatible, possibly hazardous, almost certainly full of squick; and you're in the uncanny valley if you get close, so much so that even if you had a common past ancestor, at stellar distances, with divergent evolutionary pressure, you may get there anyway. Granted, Grace is cute, but that's the power of fiction.

How many extraterrestrial species did you saw outside fiction to be so sure about this?

(Also, yes, in ST:TNG the common ancestor was confirmed.)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

How many extraterrestrial species did you saw outside fiction to be so sure about this?

Fair enough, show me an actual space babe, and I'll believe you. Photoshop doesn't count.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

(Also, yes, in ST:TNG the common ancestor was confirmed.)

Yes, and it's the ST version of midichlorians.