• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

NP Monday July 22, 2019

On 7/22/2019 at 1:35 PM, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

George's brain shattered against Justin's anecdote

That's Rich ... and I don't think it's anecdote either.

Note that I don't think the knife would shatter on steel either, unless the person holding it ALSO had superstrength. And, yes, then there is quite unrealistic bending as mentioned by Dan ...

... personally, I always considered rapid regeneration more realistic than skin which would feel normally, allow sense of touch and freedom of movement and still be so hard knife don't penetrate it. The bullets, yes, there is the non-newtonial fluid example ... but knife can move quite slowly.

Speaking of steel implements shattering against super-beings, it was fairly common in the Silver Age for Superman's invulnerability to be showcased by having the blades of a pair of scissors breaking when someone attempted to cut his hair. Never mind that it is far more likely that the amount of force involved would simply hurt the hand of the person holding the scissors--in fact, the squishiest part of any system of "non-super person uses rigid implement on super-invulnerable person" is the flesh of the non-super person ("Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" argument).

19 hours ago, ijuin said:

Speaking of steel implements shattering against super-beings, it was fairly common in the Silver Age for Superman's invulnerability to be showcased by having the blades of a pair of scissors breaking when someone attempted to cut his hair. Never mind that it is far more likely that the amount of force involved would simply hurt the hand of the person holding the scissors--in fact, the squishiest part of any system of "non-super person uses rigid implement on super-invulnerable person" is the flesh of the non-super person ("Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" argument).

... yes. Scissors are generally able to survive more than person holding them.

18 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... yes. Scissors are generally able to survive more than person holding them.

I remember a TV series called My Secret Identity that starred Jerry O'Connell (people might know him as Quinn on Sliders) as a teen who ended up with super powers after being accidentally zapped by a photon beam that a scientist friend was working on, initially those powers included super speed, invulnerability and levitation, the invulnerability made it impossible for the scientist friend to take a blood sample as the needle always bent against the skin, but as far as anyone else was concerned his skin felt normal which if it didn't, it would have made it more difficult to keep the secret from his family and other friends.

The levitation ability was initially just becoming weightless, he needed aerosol cans in order to actually fly and it was pretty much like a satellite making orbit adjustments with RCS thrusters in space, he could jump very high as well and in the second season he was able to fly like you'd expect a super hero though it was never explained how it changed. Also in the second season, he get's zapped again, and trades the invulnerability with super strength, I'm certain Tedd would have a field day nitpicking the series.

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:

as the needle always bent against the skin

Yeah, just as it bends when you push it against say freezer- oh wait it doesn't. I think you would need vise to bend needle, not pushing it by hand.

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'm certain Tedd would have a field day nitpicking the series.

I'm not sure Tedd would be done with it in just one day. :)

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If he was "invulnerable" after the first zappage, the second zap should have produced no effect. 

Like I said, Tedd would nitpick the heck out of the show.

Of course Jerry's character had a weakness in that radiation from stuff like electromagnetic fields and X-rays caused him to lose his powers for a few days initially (later he was able to recover immediately after the exposure ended), it might be argued that the photon beam was a form of radiation.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

it might be argued that the photon beam was a form of radiation.

It would be hard to deny that. Granted, I suppose when the writers decided that electromagnetic fields cause him to lose his powers, they likely didn't meant sunlight nor common radio or TV terrestrial broadcast nor Wi-Fi, but technically all those ARE electromagnetic fields ...

(On second though, lot of people would find superheroes losing powers when exposed to Wi-Fi plausible. Of course, that would mean they couldn't work in any major city, but that MIGHT be turned into interesting plot point ...)

Apparently it meant strong electromagnetic fields, like standing near the electromagnet on one of those cranes that they use to pick up stuff in a wrecking yard, or standing near a radio station transmitter, or being in the same room with an MRI machine.

Just now, ijuin said:

Apparently it meant strong electromagnetic fields, like standing near the electromagnet on one of those cranes that they use to pick up stuff in a wrecking yard, or standing near a radio station transmitter, or being in the same room with an MRI machine.

That's what I assumed as well, like high concentrations, rather than ambient