• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Story Friday July 26, 2019

https://egscomics.com/comic/party-041

A little more foreshadowing

Another glimpse into Elliot's brain

But I have one concern.  Will Brooklyn Nine Nine even be on the air by the time this Party story is finished?
One way to keep the references from seeming a little dated is to use excessively dated references in the first place.
Elliot should have been watching Car 54 Where Are You

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

There's a holdup in the Bronx,
Brooklyn's broken out with fights,
There's a traffic jam in Harlem
That's backed up to Jackson Heights,
There's a scout troop short a child,
Krushchev's due at Idlewild
Car 54, where are you?

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

https://egscomics.com/comic/party-041

Another glimpse into Elliot's brain

But I have one concern.  Will Brooklyn Nine Nine even be on the air by the time this Party story is finished?
One way to keep the references from seeming a little dated is to use excessively dated references in the first place.

That might be before Elliot's parents' time.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

That might be before Elliot's parents' time.

Not before mine, though. I only had to look up one of the lines. "Idlewild" was where Krushchev did land at least once. It became "Kennedy" in 1964.

The late Fred Gwynne was one of the stars of that show.

However, I have binge watched four seasons of Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

6 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Although there are anachronisms, the best timing for EGS is still 2013-2014, so whether it's on TV now doesn't really matter from that point of view. More importantly, it is usually still possible to watch shows long after they're canceled, either online or through DVD/Blu-Ray/etc. collections.

As for keeping things from seeming dated, my preference is to give stories specific dates (even if it's the same year it was made). There will still probably be things that make it obvious it's a product of it's time (from attitudes of the writers, to special effects in live action or the style of animation in cartoons/anime), but the details in the story itself tied to a specific time simply become part of the setting. I mean, other than how materialistic the "happy ending" is, I've never heard anyone complain about the first Back to the Future being dated.

...Actually, I tend to have a hard time understanding the complaint that stories are "dated". I mean, sure, it's amusing when a story predicting what the writers saw as the future gets stuff wrong, and annoying when stories get science/history wrong due to now outdated info... And sometimes the social attitudes of the past are hard to stomach (though a lot of those attitudes aren't as restricted to the past as those of us who dislike them would wish)... And I could keep going about specific results of a story being a product of it's time which can make it weird for future audiences... But a lot of time it seems like main complaint is just that a story written years ago that was set in "the present" is clearly set in the time it was written, not the "present" of the person doing the complaining, and that complaint utterly baffles me.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Well the NP currently has Tedd laying with her head in Elliot's lap, maybe Ashley's out with Grace and Sarah and later the five of them will go for dinner and a movie, and then back to Tedd's to chill for the evening.

Just now, ChronosCat said:

Although there are anachronisms, the best timing for EGS is still 2013-2014, so whether it's on TV now doesn't really matter from that point of view. More importantly, it is usually still possible to watch shows long after they're canceled, either online or through DVD/Blu-Ray/etc. collections.

Brooklyn Nine Nine's first season started in September of 2013 so Elliot would have watched over half the first season at this point. I think last year, or maybe earlier this year, there was talk about the show being cancelled but apparently the outcry from fans saved it, I'm not sure if Dan will keep the story going long enough to reference that though.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Brooklyn Nine Nine's first season started in September of 2013 so Elliot would have watched over half the first season at this point. I think last year, or maybe earlier this year, there was talk about the show being cancelled but apparently the outcry from fans saved it, I'm not sure if Dan will keep the story going long enough to reference that though.

Gosh, Elliot will be so shocked when he finds out Rosa is dating a woman by the fifth s

Anyway, I fear that what's being foreshadowed here is that Ashley is, as I've long suspected, the Transitional Girl. Transitional to what is another question, since Dan seems to be toying with making Susan gay-all-the-way--hey, is Susan the Rosa of EGS?

Grace has been voicing doubts about Ashley since the beginning of Squirrel Prophet, and now Tedd's coming up with doubts. And speaking of shipping, does anyone see Ashley and Grace?

1 minute ago, Tom Sewell said:

Anyway, I fear that what's being foreshadowed here is that Ashley is, as I've long suspected, the Transitional Girl. Transitional to what is another question, since Dan seems to be toying with making Susan gay-all-the-way--hey, is Susan the Rosa of EGS?

How is Ellen bringing up the idea of Ashley falling for Tedd foreshadowing? Short of Dan outright saying "yes I'm going to make a poly group in EGS" there's no way in heck that Ashley's going to drop Elliot just because Tedd has more toys to play with.

4 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Grace has been voicing doubts about Ashley since the beginning of Squirrel Prophet, and now Tedd's coming up with doubts. And speaking of shipping, does anyone see Ashley and Grace?

I haven't seen Tedd voicing any doubts about Ashley, Nanase has though but only because she has a hard time thinking someone can be that nice.

Though shipping Ashley and Grace, I can see that once Grace actually meets Ashley and gets to know her. I guess the main barrier between them might be how Ashley reacts to Grace's...naturistic tendencies.

4 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I don't mean the squirrel form, but possibly being at Tedd and Grace walks in nude.

Grace doesn't casually go around in the nude now, which is a shame for whoever delivers the pizza. Of course, given the type of experiments Tedd does, nudity happens sometimes, but that's probably not going to happen at the party--and maybe Tedd and Grace will rig those curtains again.

19 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Grace doesn't casually go around in the nude now, which is a shame for whoever delivers the pizza. Of course, given the type of experiments Tedd does, nudity happens sometimes, but that's probably not going to happen at the party--and maybe Tedd and Grace will rig those curtains again.

At last mention, Grace doesn't care if anyone sees her naked, unless it's Mr Verres, and Mr Verres is spending some quality time with Lavender.

Also, Tedd has since seen Ellen's beam that adjusts clothing as it transforms, so unless they're using dynamic morphs, there shouldn't be any wardrobe malfunction, Tedd might not even bother with the TFG since Edward did request that they be vague about anything to do with Uryuoms at first.

20 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

And yet Grace had that dream about being naked in class. I believe that dream happened after MV5.

Sadly, I remember the show. And the tune. And the words. And the airport. I went with my parents to pick people up at Idlewild. The current Pan Am era "eyesore" was new and amazing. And they had jets; iirc, our local airport only handled props.

My favorite Fred Gwynne thing was the judge in My Cousin, Vinnie.

10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

As for keeping things from seeming dated, my preference is to give stories specific dates (even if it's the same year it was made). There will still probably be things that make it obvious it's a product of it's time (from attitudes of the writers, to special effects in live action or the style of animation in cartoons/anime), but the details in the story itself tied to a specific time simply become part of the setting. I mean, other than how materialistic the "happy ending" is, I've never heard anyone complain about the first Back to the Future being dated.

I think of it as "a couple of years ago", non-specific, so it's never exactly wrong. EGS started in 2002, and the characters have aged, but not much (but more than many newsprint comics in their era), so there's bound to be anachronisms if you look for them.

10 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

...Actually, I tend to have a hard time understanding the complaint that stories are "dated". I mean, sure, it's amusing when a story predicting what the writers saw as the future gets stuff wrong, and annoying when stories get science/history wrong due to now outdated info... And sometimes the social attitudes of the past are hard to stomach (though a lot of those attitudes aren't as restricted to the past as those of us who dislike them would wish)... And I could keep going about specific results of a story being a product of it's time which can make it weird for future audiences... But a lot of time it seems like main complaint is just that a story written years ago that was set in "the present" is clearly set in the time it was written, not the "present" of the person doing the complaining, and that complaint utterly baffles me.

I think that the rate that happens at is increasing; decades ago I expected stuff to last, now, not so much. two years for consumer electronics is getting dated, five is "We don't support that.", no parts, no special device specific batteries. Even large appliances like washers and driers seem flimsier. So they age out quicker.

The way we deal with information is changing on some similar cycle. Even this forum style is archaic. Probably why there's so many old timers.

4 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Dan seems to be toying with making Susan gay-all-the-way--hey, is Susan the Rosa of EGS?

I don't see it. She's the token ace, I think she's going to stay there. That said, if she were open to relationship, she could go either way, that's pretty much canon.

19 hours ago, Scotty said:

How is Ellen bringing up the idea of Ashley falling for Tedd foreshadowing? Short of Dan outright saying "yes I'm going to make a poly group in EGS" there's no way in heck that Ashley's going to drop Elliot just because Tedd has more toys to play with.

It's not so much Tedd's toys, as his almost obsessive interest in transformation; frankly he is probably the only person we know of in the comic with as strong an interest in it as Ashley. Of course that's not enough to build a romantic relationship on; even leaving Elliot out of the picture I think the extent of the relationship she would form with Tedd and/or Grace is friends possibly with benefits (though it's hard to say until they actually interact in canon).

But yes, even if Ashley were interested in Tedd and/or Grace, she's too nice to break up with Elliot unless it's really obvious it isn't working between them (and so far it is working).

15 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The way we deal with information is changing on some similar cycle. Even this forum style is archaic. Probably why there's so many old timers.

And so few newbies.

It's really a shame that this forum style is dying out; for people who are not family and/or close friends I've yet to find a method of communication that suits me better than this style of forum. I like to be able to choose my words carefully and be able to go back and change them if I realize I messed up, I like to be able to read everything on a subject in the order it was said,  and I like to be able to easily go back and look at things that were said days, weeks, or even years ago. Also, being able to not use my real name is essential, as without that mask my social anxiety would be crippling.

But still, Ellen sees trouble here, and is there anyone else who really knows Elliot better than Ellen? 

I can see Ashley getting feelings for Grace, but the real danger is that Tedd will get feelings for Ashley. The only other girl Tedd ever got along with before was Sarah, but they fell out for a long time. And as her tutor, Tedd is going to be spending more time with Ashley than with Elliot. Plenty of opportunities to go pear-shaped here.

15 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

It's really a shame that this forum style is dying out; for people who are not family and/or close friends I've yet to find a method of communication that suits me better than this style of forum. I like to be able to choose my words carefully and be able to go back and change them if I realize I messed up, I like to be able to read everything on a subject in the order it was said,  and I like to be able to easily go back and look at things that were said days, weeks, or even years ago. Also, being able to not use my real name is essential, as without that mask my social anxiety would be crippling.

You post what you post, and it is unintrusively moderated, but you don't have a frikkin stupid AI telling you you can only read the top two posts, and you should read these <unrelated bull$#!7> instead. I hate what the big players are doing with (so called) AI. God, I remember way back when I used to get a list of things on You Tube related to my search query. Those were the days.

And yes, an alias is a nice plus.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
typo

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

But still, Ellen sees trouble here, and is there anyone else who really knows Elliot better than Ellen? 

I can see Ashley getting feelings for Grace, but the real danger is that Tedd will get feelings for Ashley. The only other girl Tedd ever got along with before was Sarah, but they fell out for a long time. And as her tutor, Tedd is going to be spending more time with Ashley than with Elliot. Plenty of opportunities to go pear-shaped here.

I'm not sure if Ellen actually sees trouble, or if she's projecting or something else. Case in point, Ellen has expressed attraction towards Tedd in the past, she's admitted to Tedd that she thinks he's sexy, she's even teased Elliot about it and as I've linked before, Elliot's admitted to it as well. She might be thinking "while I haven't actually acted on my attraction, I'm not immune, Ashley might have difficulty as well."

On 7/26/2019 at 3:59 PM, ChronosCat said:

It's doubly weird considering some really good and still popular stories were "dated" when they were written. But, like, they never tried to be in present ...

On 7/27/2019 at 2:02 AM, Scotty said:

Also, Tedd has since seen Ellen's beam that adjusts clothing as it transforms, so unless they're using dynamic morphs, there shouldn't be any wardrobe malfunction, Tedd might not even bother with the TFG since Edward did request that they be vague about anything to do with Uryuoms at first.

It would really make sense to limit themselves to the watches and other wands. Or Ellen.

On 7/27/2019 at 2:08 AM, Tom Sewell said:
On 7/27/2019 at 2:02 AM, Scotty said:

At last mention, Grace doesn't care if anyone sees her naked, unless it's Mr Verres, and Mr Verres is spending some quality time with Lavender.

And yet Grace had that dream about being naked in class. I believe that dream happened after MV5.

Her reaction to being naked however wasn't exactly typical.

On 7/27/2019 at 6:53 PM, ChronosCat said:
On 7/26/2019 at 10:57 PM, Scotty said:

It's not so much Tedd's toys, as his almost obsessive interest in transformation; frankly he is probably the only person we know of in the comic with as strong an interest in it as Ashley. Of course that's not enough to build a romantic relationship on; even leaving Elliot out of the picture I think the extent of the relationship she would form with Tedd and/or Grace is friends possibly with benefits (though it's hard to say until they actually interact in canon).

But yes, even if Ashley were interested in Tedd and/or Grace, she's too nice to break up with Elliot unless it's really obvious it isn't working between them (and so far it is working).

Note that it may also be foreshadowing to the bit about Tedd being Ashley's internet girlfriend in past.

On 7/28/2019 at 3:48 AM, Darth Fluffy said:
On 7/27/2019 at 6:53 PM, ChronosCat said:

You post what you post, and it is unintrusively moderated, but you don't have a frikkin stupid AI telling you you can only read the top two posts, and you should read these <unrelated bull$#!7> instead. I hate what the big players are doing with (so called) AI. God, I remember way back when I used to get a list of things on You Tube related to my search query. Those were the days.

Yeah ... it would be more understandable if people would be preferring things like discord now, but the big players stuff? Seriously? It's objectively worse!

11 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It's doubly weird considering some really good and still popular stories were "dated" when they were written. But, like, they never tried to be in present ...

Pretty much any time that a story is set in a time and place that is obviously different from "here and now", it runs the risk of the setting taking attention away from the rest of the story (e.g. Sherlock Holmes stories being set in Victorian London leads people to pay attention to "It's Victorian London" rather than to the details of whodunit and howdhedoit--which is why the "Sherlock" and "Elementary" series are so successful with moving the setting to 2010s London and 2010s New York City respectively, thus refocusing the audience's attention on the mysteries.). While fantasy and adventure/action stories can benefit from a strong focus on the setting, more subtle stories (e.g. romance or humorous comedy) need to keep the focus on the characters and their interactions.

On 7/29/2019 at 4:30 PM, hkmaly said:

Note that it may also be foreshadowing to the bit about Tedd being Ashley's internet girlfriend in past.

Ellen doesn't know that, but yes a reveal like that would make things awkward, Ashley wasn't quite clear how the breakup went other than she was the one to break it off, it might have been hard on Tedd, this might make feelings resurface, I dunno, I wouldn't expect it to cause too much drama though, at least nothing worse than we've already seen.

19 hours ago, Scotty said:
On 7/29/2019 at 10:30 PM, hkmaly said:

Ellen doesn't know that, but yes a reveal like that would make things awkward, Ashley wasn't quite clear how the breakup went other than she was the one to break it off, it might have been hard on Tedd, this might make feelings resurface, I dunno, I wouldn't expect it to cause too much drama though, at least nothing worse than we've already seen.

Sure Ellen doesn't know that, it's foreshadowing from Dan, not from her.

I don't think Tedd took it that much seriously. Hmmm ... barely old enough to date ... was it before or after Tedd actually got the TF gun four years before the start of story? In any case, I would think he was interested in transformations, not in having girlfriend.

So, probably less drama than what we already saw. But awkward definitely.

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I don't think Tedd took it that much seriously. Hmmm ... barely old enough to date ... was it before or after Tedd actually got the TF gun four years before the start of story? In any case, I would think he was interested in transformations, not in having girlfriend.

My theory is that it was just before getting the TFG, Edward stated that Tedd had strange interests when William and Gillian asked about Tedd working on it, who knows how long Tedd's been interested in transformation, we know Sarah's been interested in transformation ever since she watched Sword in the Stone, and Ashley got hooked at a young age with Ranma 1/2,  I get the feeling that Sarah wouldn't have considered having a girlfriend when she was younger and the way Ashley described it, both considered each other close enough to be girlfriends.

Even still, if Tedd didn't consider Ashley a girlfriend, he'd probably still have considered her a friend that shared the same interests, and when Ashley stopped talking to him, it probably still hurt.