• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Tom Sewell

Story Friday, August 2, 2019

So Justin and Diane did end up on a date together, almost.

The Bowling Date

Justin starts with a walk down memory lane on a subject that's up his alley. 
Did he strike out or pick up the spare?  
And get your mind out of the gutter!

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

So Justin and Diane did end up on a date together, almost.

I think the double date was inevitable when Diane stated that her and Lucy would be there for their first date despite her suggestion that Justin give her space.

I had hoped that Sarah and Sam had gone bowling as well and that it became a triple date, but that obviously wasn't the case after Sarah asked Justin about his date in the last comic.

Just now, ijuin said:

Hmm, looks like Nanase is practicing customizing the costumes on her fairy dolls.

I'm curious if being able to change outfits is new, or if it's including with the ability to choose an outfit when creating a new fairy like we learned of in Playing with Dolls.

30 minutes ago, Scotty said:

I'm curious if being able to change outfits is new, or if it's including with the ability to choose an outfit when creating a new fairy like we learned of in Playing with Dolls.

I suspect that Tedd may be encouraging the "Ugly Cousin" to demonstrate and experiment with her spells in another part of the house.  Nanase can make her dolls appear in the vicinity of someone she knows.  And we already know she can create dolls wearing different outfits.  This may be testing if Nanase can change the outfit of an already created doll.

One:  Justin and/or Sarah in another room out of sight and hearing.

Two:  Create doll wearing standard leotard in presence of Justin and/or Sarah.

Three:  Make the newly created doll change into another costume.

Four:  Have doll physically fly (as opposed to unsummoning) back to Nanase and Tedd to confirm costume change.

Being in Tedd's house and having seen Nanase's fairy Dolls before, Justin and Sarah would generally be more interested in dishing the dirt rather than watching a variation of an old trick.

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Being in Tedd's house and having seen Nanase's fairy Dolls before, Justin and Sarah would generally be more interested in dishing the dirt rather than watching a variation of an old trick.

We already know that Nanase has a spell that allows her to swap clothes. Maybe it has improved so she can, say, swap clothing between dolls (and possibly other people) as well?

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

We already know that Nanase has a spell that allows her to swap clothes. Maybe it has improved so she can, say, swap clothing between dolls (and possibly other people) as well?

We also know that Fox can cast any of Nanase's spells, up to the limit of the power Fox has access to.  Perhaps now the fairy dolls have the same ability?

(And it's great to see you posting again!  ;-)

5 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Two:  Create doll wearing standard leotard in presence of Justin and/or Sarah.

So who do you think the doll is linked to, Sarah or Justin? Cus she appeared near them and one of the requirments for creating an avatar is having a target to appear by.

Just now, The Old Hack said:

I had this discussion on discord, and others think this as well, but it feels odd to me that Dan would reveal that Nanase could just picture an outfit for her fairy to have as she's creating it, but then have her not use it the next couple times (which at those times, she was more worried about contacting someone than making herself look nice, so it's understandable) but then be like "hey instead of choosing an outfit at creation, she can use her clothing swap spell as a fairy now". I dunno, I feel like Nanase should have a set of spells that are fairy only, like fae punch, glitter trail and the crystal ball, and that there shouldn't be any overlap.

14 hours ago, ijuin said:

Hmm, looks like Nanase is practicing customizing the costumes on her fairy dolls.

Not only that: note that she managed to change costume of already summoned fairy doll!

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Unlike us. We apparently are more interested in the fairy.

3 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:
6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

We also know that Fox can cast any of Nanase's spells, up to the limit of the power Fox has access to.  Perhaps now the fairy dolls have the same ability?

Maybe. Would make sense. Although I don't think she can swap clothes between fairy and human, and not sure where she would find clothes like this, so maybe it is "new" ability to change clothes? And by "new" I mean she might get it at same time as the ability to summon fairies with different clothes but didn't realized it first.

2 hours ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I had this discussion on discord, and others think this as well, but it feels odd to me that Dan would reveal that Nanase could just picture an outfit for her fairy to have as she's creating it, but then have her not use it the next couple times (which at those times, she was more worried about contacting someone than making herself look nice, so it's understandable) but then be like "hey instead of choosing an outfit at creation, she can use her clothing swap spell as a fairy now". I dunno, I feel like Nanase should have a set of spells that are fairy only, like fae punch, glitter trail and the crystal ball, and that there shouldn't be any overlap.

Yes, it's little weird that it was specifically mentioned she can change clothes on creating the fairy and now it's shown she can change them later ... unless it's same ability.

Until I read Dan's commentary, my first thought was that this was one of Susan's fairies--remember, she has two Nanase  dolls in her special place now.

At least so far, while Susan's fairies can act autonomously, Nanase's cannot. So why did Nanase summon a fairy to the basement? She could, after all, just walk downstairs. So what is that fairy doing down there?

Spying, perhaps. Or maybe Ashley has arrived upstairs, and Nanase has used her fairy to send her mind elsewhere, like when she had to get away from Susan's place during Night Out and wound up at Elliot's place. That wouldn't be rational, but Nanase seems to be already irrational about Ashley.

Nanase was already about to break up with Elliot when she met Sarah. Then within a few days, Nanase hooked up with Ellen--an Elliot with the right gender. And Nanase got off easy for awhile because Sarah was the perfect match for Elliot.

Until Sarah wasn't.

But, by then, Nanase had found her One True Love with Ellen, right?

Only... Ellen supported Ashley from the very beginning, and still does. I think it's quite possible this difference of opinion will turn up at this party later.

It's my party, and I'll cry if I want too...

45 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Until I read Dan's commentary, my first thought was that this was one of Susan's fairies--remember, she has two Nanase  dolls in her special place now.

And neither looks like Nanase now. Granted, it's hard to compare the fairy's hair style with the hair moving in all frames, but I think it MIGHT be recognizable.

Also, I don't think Susan can summon fairy anywhere else than just next to herself.

49 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

At least so far, while Susan's fairies can act autonomously, Nanase's cannot. So why did Nanase summon a fairy to the basement? She could, after all, just walk downstairs. So what is that fairy doing down there?

Spying, perhaps. Or maybe Ashley has arrived upstairs, and Nanase has used her fairy to send her mind elsewhere, like when she had to get away from Susan's place during Night Out and wound up at Elliot's place. That wouldn't be rational, but Nanase seems to be already irrational about Ashley.

Or, perhaps she want's to show the fairy to Ashley and the basement was CLOSEST place she could summon one, as people upstairs with her already had fairy paired. Sure, that would mean Ashley, who presumably don't have fairy yet, isn't there yet and Nanase is just getting ready ... but it still makes more sense than trying to get away and go JUST to basement.

52 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Nanase was already about to break up with Elliot when she met Sarah. Then within a few days, Nanase hooked up with Ellen--an Elliot with the right gender. And Nanase got off easy for awhile because Sarah was the perfect match for Elliot.

Until Sarah wasn't.

But, by then, Nanase had found her One True Love with Ellen, right?

Only... Ellen supported Ashley from the very beginning, and still does. I think it's quite possible this difference of opinion will turn up at this party later.

Waaait ... are you implying Nanase might suddenly stop being lesbian and fall for Elliot?

I don't think different opinion on Ashley could make Nanase stop loving Ellen. She looks more like the type who would argue and then reconcile.

1 minute ago, hkmaly said:

Also, I don't think Susan can summon fairy anywhere else than just next to herself.

Right, so far, not in canon. But Susan could have all sorts of spells we haven't seen yet. She didn't know she could summon multiple fairies until the very last comic in Playing With Dolls. And like you, the doll doesn't really have a Nanase look.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Or, perhaps she want's to show the fairy to Ashley and the basement was CLOSEST place she could summon one, as people upstairs with her already had fairy paired. Sure, that would mean Ashley, who presumably don't have fairy yet, isn't there yet and Nanase is just getting ready ... but it still makes more sense than trying to get away and go JUST to basement.

I actually gave some thought to this. The basement is a very secure area, maybe the most secure in Moperville. And the fairy didn't attempt to speak. Maybe Nanase did have something to say, but hearing the conversation, decided to wait and listen first.

But then, changes clothes and starts flying around the basement. Going to get something? Or is Nanase just doing fairy tricks because she's bored?

15 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Waaait ... are you implying Nanase might suddenly stop being lesbian and fall for Elliot?

I wasn't, but Nanase is acting very much like a jealous ex now, isn't she? Or maybe like a jealous mother. Could Nanase already be turning into her mother? Remember how her mom reacted when she found out Tedd had a girlfriend?

Another way to look at it is that the whole time Elliot was dating Nanase, and then dating Sarah, he never seemed to take the initiative. Then Elliot meets Ashley and immediately starts dating her. He even organized this party for her. What's this woman got that I haven't?!!!

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

She might be preparing a doll to show Ashley, though Ashley already knows Nanase can do that, but maybe there's something else Nanase wants to do with a fairy avatar and there wasn't one currently at Tedd's?

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

There was a little over a month between Nanase breaking up with Elliot and then hooking up with Ellen, mind you Nanase didn't start showing signs of being attracted to Ellen until the Night Out, and then went full flustered in Not a Date, though dreaming about Ellen as a mermaid and such was probably a big deal too.

Ellen though, I'm not sure if she always hoped to get with Nanase, or if she never really thought about it until the Night Out and suddenly felt she had a chance. I dunno if Ellen's actions in Painted Black would have been any different or had a different effect if she didn't know that Nanase was gay and attracted to her, like I wonder if what she learn about Nanase during the Night out gave her more motivation.

Just now, hkmaly said:

And neither looks like Nanase now. Granted, it's hard to compare the fairy's hair style with the hair moving in all frames, but I think it MIGHT be recognizable.

This new avatar is probably close enough to the original one that she "gave" Susan, but considering Nanase's current hairstyle is close to how it looked when she "gave" Susan the doll, ok, bangs are longer in the old style, but probably overall same amount of hair I think  so at a glance I can understand some people thinking that the new fairy was Susan using Little Nase.

Just now, hkmaly said:

I know some people have written fanfics that have Susan able to teleport her fairy dolls while she's going full first person mode in them, but I don't really expect Dan to do that, but then Tedd has said that Susan's spell has a lot of parts and being able to go first person might be the tip of the iceberg.

2 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I wasn't, but Nanase is acting very much like a jealous ex now, isn't she? Or maybe like a jealous mother. Could Nanase already be turning into her mother? Remember how her mom reacted when she found out Tedd had a girlfriend?

Another way to look at it is that the whole time Elliot was dating Nanase, and then dating Sarah, he never seemed to take the initiative. Then Elliot meets Ashley and immediately starts dating her. He even organized this party for her. What's this woman got that I haven't?!!!

That second paragraph makes more sense. Like, Nanase doesn't actually want to get Elliot ... but she's still jealous that Ashley is so better in her relationship with Elliot than her. Subconsciously, of course.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

She might be preparing a doll to show Ashley, though Ashley already knows Nanase can do that, but maybe there's something else Nanase wants to do with a fairy avatar and there wasn't one currently at Tedd's?

There is definitely something she wants to show to Ashley, BUT why doesn't she start with showing her how she creates the fairy? That's the question making this answer seem incomplete.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

There was a little over a month between Nanase breaking up with Elliot and then hooking up with Ellen, mind you Nanase didn't start showing signs of being attracted to Ellen until the Night Out, and then went full flustered in Not a Date, though dreaming about Ellen as a mermaid and such was probably a big deal too.

Well, Nanase WAS in denial about her orientation ...

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Ellen though, I'm not sure if she always hoped to get with Nanase, or if she never really thought about it until the Night Out and suddenly felt she had a chance. I dunno if Ellen's actions in Painted Black would have been any different or had a different effect if she didn't know that Nanase was gay and attracted to her, like I wonder if what she learn about Nanase during the Night out gave her more motivation.

... meanwhile, Ellen, like, not knowing about the orientation assumed either that the reason why Nanase break up with Elliot is still valid for her or that she has even less chance, so she might liked her but didn't acted on that. She had big reason to like Nanase even from her own life, though.

I think she might get her hope up the moment she knew about the orientation, though.

I know some people have written fanfics that have Susan able to teleport her fairy dolls while she's going full first person mode in them, but I don't really expect Dan to do that, but then Tedd has said that Susan's spell has a lot of parts and being able to go first person might be the tip of the iceberg.

That MIGHT actually point on Susan being able to change her clothes while doll :)

But teleportation? Why?

5 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

There is definitely something she wants to show to Ashley, BUT why doesn't she start with showing her how she creates the fairy? That's the question making this answer seem incomplete.

She technically did show Ashley, Ashley just didn't see the result until Elliot returned.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, and it was why she couldn't feel attracted to Elliot, but I don't think she hung out with Ellen after Sister until Night Out, I would suspect she'd have developed an attraction and blamed the pheromones sooner if she they did spend more time together before then.

19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That MIGHT actually point on Susan being able to change her clothes while doll :)

I think Tedd was mainly talking about how much control Susan had over the fairy dolls, but it was suggested that Susan might have learn her own fairy creation spell, but so far we've seen no confirmation so it's possible she hasn't, but there was that hope.

24 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

But teleportation? Why?

The particular stories played on her "I like to watch" aspect, you could probably guess what that entails.

Re: Nanase jealous or whatever, I'm going to go with it's exactly what Nanase said, she doesn't understand how someone could not be demanding answers. Diane made sense to her, Ashley doesn't. But in her own way, Diane was more blasé, dismissive, skeptical. Ashley has embraced what she's seen, even proved useful, although the Sirleck experience seems to have overwhelmed her. I think Grace nailed it, Ashley is genre savvy.

She technically did show Ashley, Ashley just didn't see the result until Elliot returned.

Show the FAIRY being created.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, and it was why she couldn't feel attracted to Elliot, but I don't think she hung out with Ellen after Sister until Night Out, I would suspect she'd have developed an attraction and blamed the pheromones sooner if she they did spend more time together before then.

Well, she was going to school, Ellen didn't. Actually, neither Nanase nor Justin SAW her since Sister ... however, looking at Nanase's pout, I think she already started developing an attraction, just didn't realized it.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

But teleportation? Why?

The particular stories played on her "I like to watch" aspect, you could probably guess what that entails.

I can think of a pretty good why. We've already seen Susan use Little Nase to fetch small items, or do it her own, like that towel. If her fairies can teleport, she could use them to fetch small items at a considerable distance, or in locked rooms. Or she could look inside inaccessible spaces.

And has been said and repeated, Susan likes to watch.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Well, she was going to school, Ellen didn't. Actually, neither Nanase nor Justin SAW her since Sister ... however, looking at Nanase's pout, I think she already started developing an attraction, just didn't realized it.

Ok so maybe 2 weeks before Grace's birthday in Nanase's case. Though I was mainly thinking of when she actually started becoming aware of it (when Ellen complimented  her hair), because Elliot used to also compliment Nanase on her looks too but being a guy meant it wouldn't have had much of an effect on her (I know that comic linked isn't a very good example since Nanase is in the middle of hulking out but still I assume that's not the only time Elliot's said she's looking good).

I've often thought that teleportation (or something that looks like it at least, "translocation of matter" would probably be a more accurate phrase) could be a natural progression of a talent for summoning, especially for the fairies, since they don't physically touch Susan when summoned, so she could theoretically summon them from a distance. And from there it's a leap of taking an object and summoning it to a different location (as opposed to a magical copy that will despawn after a time which is all we know for sure that Susan can currently perform) Though you'd likely need to be an S rank talent (or higher, if Pandora's rating scale has more than 5 levels).

11 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

I can think of a pretty good why. We've already seen Susan use Little Nase to fetch small items, or do it her own, like that towel. If her fairies can teleport, she could use them to fetch small items at a considerable distance, or in locked rooms. Or she could look inside inaccessible spaces.

And has been said and repeated, Susan likes to watch.

7 hours ago, Sonicfan said:

I've often thought that teleportation (or something that looks like it at least, "translocation of matter" would probably be a more accurate phrase) could be a natural progression of a talent for summoning, especially for the fairies, since they don't physically touch Susan when summoned, so she could theoretically summon them from a distance. And from there it's a leap of taking an object and summoning it to a different location (as opposed to a magical copy that will despawn after a time which is all we know for sure that Susan can currently perform)

Hmmm ... when said like that, it does make some sense ...

7 hours ago, Sonicfan said:

Though you'd likely need to be an S rank talent (or higher, if Pandora's rating scale has more than 5 levels).

I don't think Pandora's rating is official or precise, however in any case, I think her comment about S rank was taking into account how relatively short time passed since her marking.

So, even if you are NOT S-rank, you can probably get pretty powerful spells when you train enough ... eventually.

However, I would assume you need some motivation first. The spells in EGS reflects who you are and what are you doing etc ... I think Susan would need to use fairy at distance for some time before getting spells like this (for example, spying on someone), and she mostly uses it around herself it seems.

From this angle, Nanase would be more likely to get fairy teleportation.