• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Haylo

NP Friday, August 02, 2019

Ok, so this may not be FIRST time Tedd is looking - it's just that the cheerleadra spell is too complicated.

Also, she might be little distracted.

I'm sure the boots are completely clean. But yes, it is weird, especially this kind of boots.

4 hours ago, Haylo said:

You know what you meant, but you also know what would have happened if you had tried it without thinking it through.

.... maaaaybe. We don't know what are the "default" for cheerleadra spell. It's possible it has safeguards. There are safeguards in his secret identities, after all ...

... BTW, on this topic ... on panel 3 we actually see cheerleadra has some shorts under that skirt. We still don't know if she has them on first appearance, but she did have them here. Also, apparently Dan failed to establish it with dialogue.

Based one what Elliot asks in the first panel, she's either very recently let Tedd "look" at the spell being cast, as in after Tedd realized she could see magic, or Elliot's just assuming that Tedd watching prior to knowing still counts, but now that they know,, she's wondering if there's any difference, which there doesn't seem to be either way.

Also, Elliot's likely talking about the fact that she was able to change the appearance of Cheerleadra which resulted in the 2.0 variant, and maybe she thinks that she could just imagine Cheerleadra in plain clothes.

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Based one what Elliot asks in the first panel, she's either very recently let Tedd "look" at the spell being cast, as in after Tedd realized she could see magic, or Elliot's just assuming that Tedd watching prior to knowing still counts, but now that they know,, she's wondering if there's any difference, which there doesn't seem to be either way.

It doesn't need to be recently - we don't know when this NP is happening, and in fact were speculating it's already summer.

15 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Also, Elliot's likely talking about the fact that she was able to change the appearance of Cheerleadra which resulted in the 2.0 variant, and maybe she thinks that she could just imagine Cheerleadra in plain clothes.

Yes. Although, frankly, the costume is not SO exotic, appearing just without the gloves, boots and cape would result in quite normal look.

10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

It doesn't need to be recently - we don't know when this NP is happening, and in fact were speculating it's already summer.

Yeah, I had a derp moment there.

10 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yes. Although, frankly, the costume is not SO exotic, appearing just without the gloves, boots and cape would result in quite normal look.

Well, the top probably could be different too, it's pretty form fitting. Maybe picturing Cheerleadra in "Rose" Elliot's outfit, but....then she might not have had shorts under the skirt? Unless all skirted outfits Elliot imagines has shorts under them, hehe actually that would be an Elliot thing to do if he knew that there are people who try to take peeks up women's skirts.

Edit: Actually, Elliot's parents did request that Elliot try to use a costume that included pants, maybe shorts under the skirt was a compromise?

57 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Maybe picturing Cheerleadra in "Rose" Elliot's outfit, but....then she might not have had shorts under the skirt? Unless all skirted outfits Elliot imagines has shorts under them, hehe actually that would be an Elliot thing to do if he knew that there are people who try to take peeks up women's skirts.

... thing is, Elliot might be naive enough to not realize that. :) ... wait. Unless Tedd shown him. I mean, shown him some anime about it. Back before Grace.

48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... thing is, Elliot might be naive enough to not realize that. :) ... wait. Unless Tedd shown him. I mean, shown him some anime about it. Back before Grace.

It's also just possible that Elliot has learned about it from time spent being a girl. It's not as if there is any shortage of people acting creepy in everyday life. :/

46 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It's also just possible that Elliot has learned about it from time spent being a girl. It's not as if there is any shortage of people acting creepy in everyday life. :/

While he spend lot of time as girl, it usually wasn't in public. When he was in public as Mall girl, he didn't noticed people are looking at him until he tripped. When cheerleadra, well, I don't think there is that many people acting creepy around superhero. As party secret identity, he almost didn't remember the kiss: I don't think he would remember someone looking up his skirt.

So, not that likely. It's not like he was girl around Rich and Larry.

4 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:
6 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

So, not that likely. It's not like he was girl around Rich and Larry.

I said nothing about likely. I only said it was possible. In fact, I said it was just possible.

I didn't said you are wrong. Just that it's not likely.

Yay for bubbly background in panel one!

...Hmm... So in this case the background doesn't mean anything, it's just something interesting to put in the background in place of what's actually there. I wonder, has that always been the case? It would certainly explain it's use in the "Pizza" storyline. I thought for sure it used to have a meaning, but it was a while ago and I can't remember for sure what it was; maybe Dan changed his mind, or maybe I was mistaken. (Maybe I should start taking notes...)

1 hour ago, ChronosCat said:

...Hmm... So in this case the background doesn't mean anything, it's just something interesting to put in the background in place of what's actually there. I wonder, has that always been the case? It would certainly explain it's use in the "Pizza" storyline. I thought for sure it used to have a meaning, but it was a while ago and I can't remember for sure what it was; maybe Dan changed his mind, or maybe I was mistaken. (Maybe I should start taking notes...)

Rhetorical question: if it would always be the case, why would Dan consider it remarkable now?

However, I don't think it has CONSISTENT meaning ; it's likely used for multiple different reasons.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Rhetorical question: if it would always be the case, why would Dan consider it remarkable now?

However, I don't think it has CONSISTENT meaning ; it's likely used for multiple different reasons.

I feel if no one in comic is reacting to an effect, then it's not really there, we've had examples of Tedd's glowing that was noticeable by other character, and quite possibly Elliot's flame aura, but sunbursts and such are likely just accents for the readers to see.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:
21 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I feel if no one in comic is reacting to an effect, then it's not really there, we've had examples of Tedd's glowing that was noticeable by other character, and quite possibly Elliot's flame aura, but sunbursts and such are likely just accents for the readers to see.

I think that with Elliot actually canonically being able to do the flame aura, Dan avoids using it for accent purpose. We know he specifically avoided fire effect for this reason in at least one case.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think that with Elliot actually canonically being able to do the flame aura, Dan avoids using it for accent purpose. We know he specifically avoided fire effect for this reason in at least one case.

Yeah, there are already things that we know that certain characters can do, we can also Include Justin's fire aura thing, and Nanase's been known to use flashy effects too, and it's been a while but she can also make her body glow when using the fairy dolls if she wanted to, so I associate those effects with certain actions that they do, but if Sarah had a flashy effect, unless it's explained why she's got it, I'm inclined to believe that it's Dan using artistic license

On 8/5/2019 at 7:37 AM, Scotty said:

I wasn't suggesting (and I'm assuming hkmaly wasn't suggesting either) that the bubbles are really there. In fact the whole point of the "Yay for [x] background" tradition is to celebrate the backgrounds that are only for the readers' eyes. However, usually those backgrounds have some meaning to them (for instance, a flowery background indicates romance or attraction).

Bubbles, on the other hand, appear to have many possible meanings or no meaning at all...

In the case of starbursts, I think it's contextual whether they're "really there" - when a starburst accompanies a transformation or a magical appearance from nowhere, I tend to interpret it as actually there, but when it's just highlighting a dramatic moment that you wouldn't expect to be accompanied by shining light, I interpret it as just for the readers.

8 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Blame my grandmother. I can't see bubbles without thinking of Lawrence Welk

Meanwhile, Lawrence Welk reminds me of my grandparents (in fact, sometimes when I'm missing them I'll watch the show for a bit).

22 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

I wasn't suggesting (and I'm assuming hkmaly wasn't suggesting either) that the bubbles are really there.

You are assuming correctly.

22 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

when a starburst accompanies a transformation or a magical appearance from nowhere, I tend to interpret it as actually there

However, we have also one example where it WOULD be possible for the effect being real but it wasn't.

On 8/6/2019 at 9:28 PM, ChronosCat said:

Meanwhile, Lawrence Welk reminds me of my grandparents (in fact, sometimes when I'm missing them I'll watch the show for a bit).

To my generation Lawrence Welk was seen as uncool, but in fact he was brilliantly innovative. It's hard to argue with success, and his show is among the longest running. He nurtured many young musicians (albeit, not folks my generation would have listened to) and paid them well.

He was born in the US, and didn't learn English until his early 20s (His isolated farming community spoke German). He had a 4th grade education. His dad bought him his first accordion, but he had to work the farm until he was 21 to pay for it. Contrary to what you may have heard, an accordion does not necessarily sound like a sack full of fighting cats. Or so I've been told. It is easier to play than a sack full of cats, and you don't have to worry about cat scratch fever  , which he may have played on his show. Anyway, they are not bagpipes, which I'm pretty sure is what goats sound like if you strangle them. It's a cruel thing to do, so please, if you are ever tempted, play the bagpipes instead.

I must disagree

Strangling a goat that is strangling a cat that is strangling an accordion is far less cruel than playing bagpipes.

That is why I love bagpipes.  They are among the few socially tolerable ways for my inner sadist to express himself.

Bagpipes and Accordions sound bad when played by someone who has little practice with them. In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, they sound significantly better.