• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Haylo

NP Friday, August 02, 2019

When we Americans talk about "bagpipes" we almost always mean the Scottish "great pipe". Which, IMHO, the English were quite correct in deeming to be military armament rather than a musical instrument.

However, there are a great many other sorts of bagpipe - not surprising considering that they were played in a roughly rectangular area with the corners being Ireland, Moscow, Morocco, and Syria. Some of them have quite a sweet sound.

5 hours ago, ijuin said:

Bagpipes and Accordions sound bad when played by someone who has little practice with them. In the hands of someone who knows what they are doing, they sound significantly better.

In truth, I don't doubt you are right. Personally strings, which I love, are arguably the poster children for "Can sound bad in the hands of the unskilled".

On the other hand, even the skilled can sound fairly bizarre0 .

Yes, well, bagpipes and accordions and similar instruments are notorious for “when they’re bad, they’re really bad, as opposed to, say, a guitar which is not nearly so earsplitting when played poorly (unless we’re talking about somebody playing with the distortion and an amplifier on an electric one).

15 hours ago, ijuin said:

Yes, well, bagpipes and accordions and similar instruments are notorious for “when they’re bad, they’re really bad, as opposed to, say, a guitar which is not nearly so earsplitting when played poorly (unless we’re talking about somebody playing with the distortion and an amplifier on an electric one).

This is admittedly a personal bias but due to thin walls and a neighbour who is thankfully long gone I have developed a real dislike for badly played guitars. Or possibly it was a banjo.

Then again, that guy was so incompetent that he could probably make the church organ of a grand cathedral sound like a banjo.

14 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

Or possibly it was a banjo.

Then again, that guy was so incompetent that he could probably make the church organ of a grand cathedral sound like a banjo.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

That sounds like he is so incompetent that it is actually a skill in itself.

Being able to play on guitar so it sounds like banjo would definitely need lot of skill. At least classical wood guitar. And church organ? ...

14 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

This is admittedly a personal bias but due to thin walls and a neighbour who is thankfully long gone I have developed a real dislike for badly played guitars.

I suspect if your neighbour would play on bagpipes or accordion, you would develop psychosis instead. Or possibly kill him. Or both.