• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Friday, Aug 9, 2019

http://www.egscomics.com/egsnp/shs-11

Note that we have confirmed that Nanase DOES have magically enhanced strength even in normal form. It's likely everyone from ASMA dojo have it.

However, even without higher strength, there is another factor: expectation. The skin can react on Elliot touching it - similarly how it's very hard to tickle yourself, because you are expecting it.

So yes, Tedd, you totally should test it yourself.

Tedd absolutely should be the one to check -- you need to use a form of measurement that doesn't change in between readings.

Even if the strength level of Cheerleadra vs. Elliot was exactly the same, the size and angle of the fingers, the thickness of the skin on the fingers that are doing the touching, etc. all might all change the results.

And of course, they could choose a non-embarrassing area of skin to test, like the outside of the upper arm. That's in theory -- in practice they might be too flustered to think of that.

"Let's go to the gym and see how much I can bench!"

You mean in all this time since Elliot acquired the Unfortunately-Named-Cheerleader-Themed Super Hero form, Elliot has never made a statement along those lines while in costume?

3 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

You mean in all this time since Elliot acquired the Unfortunately-Named-Cheerleader-Themed Super Hero form, Elliot has never made a statement along those lines while in costume?

I don't recall a scene with Elliot in a gym, ever. That's not definitive evidence that he never goes to one, but it seems that it's not a habit, not on his go-to radar.

If he stopped appearing as Cheerleadra and began  using an alternate form, he could probably make the name go away.

12 hours ago, Haylo said:

Tedd absolutely should be the one to check -- you need to use a form of measurement that doesn't change in between readings.

Even if the strength level of Cheerleadra vs. Elliot was exactly the same, the size and angle of the fingers, the thickness of the skin on the fingers that are doing the touching, etc. all might all change the results.

True, also good points.

11 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

He MIGHT consider bad idea appearing as cheerleadra in public just for experiment like this.

8 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I don't recall a scene with Elliot in a gym, ever. That's not definitive evidence that he never goes to one, but it seems that it's not a habit, not on his go-to radar.

Didn't Elliot and Ellen have some place for training in basement?

8 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

If he stopped appearing as Cheerleadra and began  using an alternate form, he could probably make the name go away.

Considering his second try, I'm little afraid he could end with even WORSE name.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I think you're right, I recall Ellen training Grace, not clear where, but they had a large hanging punch dummy bag. Likely at Elliot's and Ellen's; also likely that they have a basement, living near Chicago. (Not true at all around the country; I haven't had one since I left the Northeast.)

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Considering his second try, I'm little afraid he could end with even WORSE name.

If he does get a worse name, repeat the exercise. Hopefully, he'll learn something each cycle.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I think you're right, I recall Ellen training Grace, not clear where, but they had a large hanging punch dummy bag. Likely at Elliot's and Ellen's; also likely that they have a basement, living near Chicago. (Not true at all around the country; I haven't had one since I left the Northeast.)

I think it might have to do with how close the water table is to the surface--where I grew up (town averages SIX feet above sea level), the water table was so shallow that a basement would need to be built with a lot of protection against water intrusion, so most houses were not built with basements. Of course, this not being snow country either, roofs are sloped at a shallow angle, so most attics are more of a small crawl space above the ceilings, less than six feet high at the center. The lack of having basements or attics suitable for storage has led to a lot of people using their garages for that instead, which in turn leads to parking their cars in the street if they have more than the 2 or so that would fit in the driveway.

3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If he does get a worse name, repeat the exercise. Hopefully, he'll learn something each cycle.

You mean, something depressing about people in Moperville?

15 minutes ago, ijuin said:
3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

also likely that they have a basement, living near Chicago. (Not true at all around the country; I haven't had one since I left the Northeast.)

I think it might have to do with how close the water table is to the surface--where I grew up (town averages SIX feet above sea level), the water table was so shallow that a basement would need to be built with a lot of protection against water intrusion, so most houses were not built with basements. Of course, this not being snow country either, roofs are sloped at a shallow angle, so most attics are more of a small crawl space above the ceilings, less than six feet high at the center. The lack of having basements or attics suitable for storage has led to a lot of people using their garages for that instead, which in turn leads to parking their cars in the street if they have more than the 2 or so that would fit in the driveway.

Sounds like serious lack of planning.

Granted, OUR city has cars in the street as well, but considering it was mostly build before cars were invented, you can't blame the original planers.

Most of the current houses in my town (in California) were built in the 1940s-60s, back when having more than two cars per household was generally the preserve of people who lived in more expensive houses than these. Having outdoor parking space on the house lot for more than two cars wasn't really a consideration, especially since the lots are only a quarter acre each (100 by 100 feet) while the houses are single-floor (thus occupying a larger fraction of the lot). Also, the two-lane streets here are about forty feet wide, designed with the expectation that vehicles could park along the curb without impeding traffic flow.

4 hours ago, ijuin said:

I'm sure you're right, there's reasons, but I've lived in Albuquerque, water table really far down unless you're near the Rio Grande, and crawlspace or slab was the rule. I think that's true around Denver, not sure. Basement flooding is an issue even when the water table is low, because when it rains hard, the ground saturates, so my folks had to screw around with sealing theirs. I'm guessing that the era that the dwelling was built is also a major factor, and that the more expensive basement does not increase the builder's revenue enough to justify the expense and time anymore. Oh, duh, also how far down the bedrock is.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well, yes; we're talking about Elliot, incredibly naive, doesn't travel, won't use Google without being pushed; I'd say your restatement is spot on. Of course, I was also thinking that he would apply said new, albeit depressing, knowledge to the visual image he uses in constructing his transformation. At the very least, you'd think he could incorporate a logo that might lead the naming discussion in a desired direction.

11 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Well, yes; we're talking about Elliot, incredibly naive, doesn't travel, won't use Google without being pushed; I'd say your restatement is spot on. Of course, I was also thinking that he would apply said new, albeit depressing, knowledge to the visual image he uses in constructing his transformation.

I also suspect Elliot LIKES being sexy when girl.

11 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

At the very least, you'd think he could incorporate a logo that might lead the naming discussion in a desired direction.

Yeah, logo might help ... although this would be hard for Dan, because I suspect most logos that helps are already taken. Remember that for IP reasons, Elliot needs name which is reasonably unique.

In fact, going over list of superhero names in my head, the "flying bricks" (flight, super strength, super toughness) usually are hardest to name ; most others are named by their power.

On 8/10/2019 at 11:08 PM, Darth Fluffy said:
On 8/10/2019 at 8:20 PM, hkmaly said:

They do have some workout equipment, but in terms of weights, I'm guessing they're limited to something like these, Grace mentioned she never had access to a gym when asked about how strong she can be, which would mean that the Dunkel's equipment aren't sufficient for finding out such things.

3 hours ago, Scotty said:
On 8/11/2019 at 5:08 AM, Darth Fluffy said:
On 8/11/2019 at 2:20 AM, hkmaly said:

They do have some workout equipment, but in terms of weights, I'm guessing they're limited to something like these, Grace mentioned she never had access to a gym when asked about how strong she can be, which would mean that the Dunkel's equipment aren't sufficient for finding out such things.

Exactly. They have enough workout equipment for training (therefore, less incentive to go to gym) but not enough for measuring strength.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Oh, good point.

Yeah, most home weight sets only go up to 200 or so pounds, which is fine for training most people, but not for potentially superhuman strength.