• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!

So, if Nanase can make fairies, with persistance, wearing something "based" on clothing she's prepared in advance, can she get some gold weave skirt (or a platnium necklace or whatever) and go fairy-mining? She'd end up with a big heap of naked fairies, but she could always donate them to a childrens hospice.

There  is probably a legal restriction on that kind of activity.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that was the reason why the Paranormal Division of the FBI (also known in the Veres' household as Dad's Government Business) was established in the first place.

It's from the same principle of why Superman can not spend his downtime crushing coal into diamonds to finance his lifestyle above a reporter's salary.

Also, as Sirleck put it, aside from any suspicion that may fall upon someone for having unexplained sources of gold, doing it on any large scale will devalue gold in general.

The total amount of gold available to humanity at present, including bullion, coins, jewelry, all artifacts, and even industrial use is only about two hundred thousand tonnes—just shy of one troy ounce for every human currently alive.

One the other hand, I know there are places that will buy smallish amounts of gold (under a pound say) with no questions asked, not even ID.  Speaking from experience here.

1 hour ago, mlooney said:

One the other hand, I know there are places that will buy smallish amounts of gold (under a pound say) with no questions asked, not even ID.  Speaking from experience here.

A pound here and there may pass with little notice on the gray market, pawnshops, etc., and gold at current prices is about fifteen to eighteen thousand dollars per troy pound in bullion value. It would be possible to fund an upper-middle-class lifestyle like that, provided that you could find an appropriate explanation for your income to the Internal Revenue Service. Greedy Sirleck-levels of wealth would probably attract too much attention, though.

Best guess is the spell only works on certain materials, and precious metals, gemstones probably either won't work, or a use a substitute material instead, like glass for diamonds, that gold coloured thread you can get at craft stores instead of actual gold.

If it was real gold, the outfit would be what 1/7th scale of the original? How many of the little things would she need to make before she got the value of the original? Would it even be worth it to bother if you need to make 50 of them to get any real profit.

On 8/11/2019 at 4:07 PM, Scotty said:

Best guess is the spell only works on certain materials, and precious metals, gemstones probably either won't work, or a use a substitute material instead, like glass for diamonds, that gold coloured thread you can get at craft stores instead of actual gold.

If it was real gold, the outfit would be what 1/7th scale of the original? How many of the little things would she need to make before she got the value of the original? Would it even be worth it to bother if you need to make 50 of them to get any real profit.

The value of the gold would be based on the volume of the object. Nominally, it should then be (1/7)^3 = 1/343 of the full size object. But fabric thickness might scale differently, it's not gauze, after all. I'd guess more like (1/7)^2 x (1/2) =~ 1%. (My daughters have had Barbies; the clothing fabric was thin, but substantial, similar to the 2nd figure.)

Guesstimating a two pound dress, full size, call it 24 troy oz., so roughly 1/4 troy oz. per fairy dress.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
Estimate value in oz Au