• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Drasvin

Story: Friday November 4, 2016

I'm still.... 'How is this a spell? this is like just Sarah simply playing imagination'

Even if it is a spell that like does a magic radar ping of the surroundings how does that make it so intensive if it only interacts long enough to go 'here are objects.'

I'm sorry but I'm not grokking how this is hyped up as big as it is.

Also Resting Ominous Voice. AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Great.

24 minutes ago, MarrikBroom said:

I'm still.... 'How is this a spell? this is like just Sarah simply playing imagination'

Even if it is a spell that like does a magic radar ping of the surroundings how does that make it so intensive if it only interacts long enough to go 'here are objects.'

It is so energy intensive because of the fact that it scans everything around her essentially down to the atomic scale, which makes it ridiculously detailed.

Fun fact: I accidentally scans as scams and that happening IRC would just be silly. 

Just now, MarrikBroom said:

OK I suppose tat would do it but the 'simulation grows less detailed/accurate if you don't know how a thin works' is what got me going 'why is this different from imaginationland?'

No, the simulation only becomes less accurate when Sarah forces it to do something that violates the (non-magical) laws of physics, with the exception of bodt switching. As long as she sticks to mundane interactions with the simulation, it retains its accuracy.

37 minutes ago, MarrikBroom said:

Collecting really detailed information about large areas (and we don't actually know *how* large) does require a lot of energy.  But really, we don't know how it works.  It looks like imagination, but then it would look like imagination if it actually works by creating an entire duplicate universe, transferring Sarah's consciousness to it, and giving her the powers of a god.  Does it persist even if something happens to her real body?  Could she stay in it forever and actually become a god?  Probably not, but we don't really know.

Forgot the perfect metaphor, but I feel that magic and people work like electric charges.

The lightning strikes again. Nice.

1 hour ago, MarrikBroom said:

ROV, the new RBF. I do not see why not.

1 hour ago, MarrikBroom said:

It's clearly one of those subtle diseases magicians can come down with, you know like Witches Nose, Compulsive Monologuing, Fairy Twinkle, or Post Traumatic Spontaneous Pulverization.

Ok, I kinda figured that there would be some magical defense that would prevent the spell from scanning someone or something. It would make sense that if it was possible for people to be able to look inside a locked cabinet or something without opening it that there'd be spells to prevent that.

Still doesn't answer the question about computers though.

1 hour ago, ijuin said:

I would think that those people with their magical guard up would also be able to sense the "ping" washing over them.

Maybe, i dunno, I'm sure there's probably a method for detecting if someone attempted to use a spell to spy or look inside something. But as for the person themself...well Tedd might see the wave radiating outward, Adrian would probably taste it though I don't know if he would know what spell it was, but anyone else would need to have a similar innate ability for detecting magic like that.

Of course someone could have protective items that would shield and alert them when someone attempts to use a spell.

24 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Maybe, i dunno, I'm sure there's probably a method for detecting if someone attempted to use a spell to spy or look inside something. But as for the person themself...well Tedd might see the wave radiating outward, Adrian would probably taste it though I don't know if he would know what spell it was, but anyone else would need to have a similar innate ability for detecting magic like that.

Of course someone could have protective items that would shield and alert them when someone attempts to use a spell.

I was thinking along the lines of the mage in question merely noticing "hey, a scrying spell just passed over me, coming from that direction". It would probably require Tedd-o-vision to actually know any details of the spell beyond that.

That said, the fact that Sarah's spell takes "big chomps" out of the surrounding ambient energy is probably more readily visible than the spell itself. Anyone who can detect the magical energy level and direction-of-flow in their location could notice if she cast it nearby, simply from the sudden drop in local energy (or flow of local energy towards the "hole" thus created).

2 minutes ago, ijuin said:

I was thinking along the lines of the mage in question merely noticing "hey, a scrying spell just passed over me, coming from that direction". It would probably require Tedd-o-vision to actually know any details of the spell beyond that.

That said, the fact that Sarah's spell takes "big chomps" out of the surrounding ambient energy is probably more readily visible than the spell itself. Anyone who can detect the magical energy level and direction-of-flow in their location could notice if she cast it nearby, simply from the sudden drop in local energy (or flow of local energy towards the "hole" thus created).

Noticing that a spell was used, would depend on how sensitive a person was to magic and it likely still wouldn't tell them what the spell was, Adrian's sensitive enough to know that it's either sweet or spicy, to others it might be a tingling sensation, a slight chill, etc. To get more details they might need an active enchantment either on themselves or provided by an item.

Yeah, I'm sure that mages would notice a drop in ambient energy levels as Sarah used the spell, and might be able to triangulate the origin of the drops...hmm...Ok so we already have vampires that can potentially interfere with Pandora's plan to remove the clog, what are the chances of mages that have grown dependent on the high ambient energy interfering?

8 hours ago, Drasvin said:

http://www.egscomics.com/index.php?id=2271

Accidentally ominous Tedd is ominous.

It's an easy way how to make the infodump funny.

7 hours ago, Drasvin said:
7 hours ago, MarrikBroom said:

OK I suppose tat would do it but the 'simulation grows less detailed/accurate if you don't know how a thin works' is what got me going 'why is this different from imaginationland?'

No, the simulation only becomes less accurate when Sarah forces it to do something that violates the (non-magical) laws of physics, with the exception of bodt switching. As long as she sticks to mundane interactions with the simulation, it retains its accuracy.

Body switching doesn't violate laws of physics any more than the fact that the original Sarah is moving in frozen world.

6 hours ago, malloyd said:
8 hours ago, MarrikBroom said:

It's clearly one of those subtle diseases magicians can come down with, you know like Witches Nose, Compulsive Monologuing, Fairy Twinkle, or Post Traumatic Spontaneous Pulverization.

Wait wait, compulsive monologuing is not limited to magicians, ANYONE can catch that. It's also common secondary infection caused by someone with Primary Protagonist Syndrome being around, and symptom of Companion Syndrome.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Ok, I kinda figured that there would be some magical defense that would prevent the spell from scanning someone or something. It would make sense that if it was possible for people to be able to look inside a locked cabinet or something without opening it that there'd be spells to prevent that.

Clothes counts as part of person wearing them, but I wonder how often it will happen that someone who resisted being included in simulation would be surrounded by something which would make apparent someone is there. For start, after it starts snowing ... wait, actually, even if it's raining, the silhouette should be clearly visible.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

I would think that those people with their magical guard up would also be able to sense the "ping" washing over them.

Possibly, but they wouldn't know what spell it was or what direction it came from. They likely dismiss the sensation unless they already suspect someone around is using spell like this.

24 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yeah, I'm sure that mages would notice a drop in ambient energy levels as Sarah used the spell, and might be able to triangulate the origin of the drops...hmm...

Yes, if Sarah would stay on one place and cast the spell repeatedly, sufficiently experienced mage would be able to find the room she's in. I don't think single mage could get more exact, maybe if multiple people surrounded her ...

26 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Ok so we already have vampires that can potentially interfere with Pandora's plan to remove the clog, what are the chances of mages that have grown dependent on the high ambient energy interfering?

Nearly zero. People capable of realizing what's happening are too powerful to became dependent on it. Also, how many experienced magic users you expect are around and not part of DGB? I would assume Edward personally knows every magic user in city who had magic before Pandora started marking.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Clothes counts as part of person wearing them, but I wonder how often it will happen that someone who resisted being included in simulation would be surrounded by something which would make apparent someone is there. For start, after it starts snowing ... wait, actually, even if it's raining, the silhouette should be clearly visible.

Possible, Sarah would at least know that if she opens a door and there's an outline or a shadow, that there's someone there, she wouldn't be able to tell who it was though or interact with them in any way and trying to fill in the gap would alter the accuracy of the simulation.

9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Nearly zero. People capable of realizing what's happening are too powerful to became dependent on it. Also, how many experienced magic users you expect are around and not part of DGB? I would assume Edward personally knows every magic user in city who had magic before Pandora started marking.

What if DGB has grown dependent on the high ambient energy, yeah they're experienced, powerful mages, but what if Arthur Arthur has learned to exploit the high ambient energy? It's a stretch, sure, but there's gotta be some people who are benefiting from the high energy that if they learned that it was going to be gone soon would go to lengths to make sure it stays.

16 minutes ago, Scotty said:
24 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Possible, Sarah would at least know that if she opens a door and there's an outline or a shadow, that there's someone there, she wouldn't be able to tell who it was though or interact with them in any way and trying to fill in the gap would alter the accuracy of the simulation.

Well, she can guess, she would see how tall that person is, but yes.

17 minutes ago, Scotty said:

What if DGB has grown dependent on the high ambient energy, yeah they're experienced, powerful mages, but what if Arthur Arthur has learned to exploit the high ambient energy? It's a stretch, sure, but there's gotta be some people who are benefiting from the high energy that if they learned that it was going to be gone soon would go to lengths to make sure it stays.

Edward was surprised when he tested Tedd's watches and found how much ambient magic was around. So, unless they started to depend on it in last half year ...

Lot of people are benefiting, but most wouldn't even realize they do (look at NotTengu). And people who know enough to realize how much magic is around would also know enough to realize this is making the city magnet for aberrations and other mages and wouldn't likely be so sure making it stay is good idea.

Also, from story point, I don't think we need any more complications.

30 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Edward was surprised when he tested Tedd's watches and found how much ambient magic was around. So, unless they started to depend on it in last half year ...

Edward also had no idea what angle Arthur was coming from with his appearance on TV after Cheerleadra's first appearance, it's possible that despite being a VIP in the paranormal world, Edward might not know all the intricacies of what the agency is doing. He was probably appalled to learn what Arthur told Cranium about "occasional casualties", and I have no doubts that Cranium told Edward about that.

10 minutes ago, Scotty said:
49 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Edward also had no idea what angle Arthur was coming from with his appearance on TV after Cheerleadra's first appearance, it's possible that despite being a VIP in the paranormal world, Edward might not know all the intricacies of what the agency is doing. He was probably appalled to learn what Arthur told Cranium about "occasional casualties", and I have no doubts that Cranium told Edward about that.

He was not only VIP in the paranormal world, but also the HEAD of the local branch of agency, and Arthur had that position before him. If Arthur started something Edward doesn't know about, it would be after he returned into this position. Of course, unless the agency is much more evil than it seems and the "excessive force" was just pretence to get him out of that position. Still, I don't think Assistant Director Liefeld lied to him, and generally, I don't think naive person can get at so high position.

Also, I would assume that if Arthur fired Cranium and Wolf for insubordination or something we would know about it. Meaning, he likely need to work with group of people who were used to how things worked under Verres, and they may not like some changes but would certainly told something if agency turned evil ...

... starting with Cranium, who would certainly told Edward if something even worse would be happening.

16 hours ago, Drasvin said:

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Body switching doesn't violate laws of physics any more than the fact that the original Sarah is moving in frozen world.

From what I understand, I think a better way of describing this is, rather than violates vs. not violates the laws of physics, the difference is whether she interacts with the virtual world as she would normally interact with the real world without magic (e.g., walking around, picking things up with her hands, etc.), vs. willing things to change.  Body switching would of course be an exception because that's not a way one can normally interact with the world without magic.

So things who aren't blocking her scan...

Shoot, was hoping it could be used to detect invisible immortals.

Heh, to those with magic sensing ability Sarah is like the scanner fish sensor in Finding Nemo.

[ANALYSIS]

"Forsooth, what is that girl doing, Prismagic Wizard?"

"I... I think she's trying to scry the entire area... How is she..."

[ANALYSIS COMPLETE]

Also I only just remembered the thick black line on Sarah's hair is a hairband. I had abstracted it in my head as just 'Sarah's Hair'

12 hours ago, PSadlon said:

Nice... 

Resting Ominous Voice 

I'm gonna have to borrow that phrase.

Borrow?  Hell I plan on out right stealing it.

31 minutes ago, mlooney said:

Borrow?  Hell I plan on out right stealing it.

I totally expect this to be used in the "annoying" thread at some point.