• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Tom Sewell

Story Monday, August 12, 2018

Diane �2004 The�Polar Express� movie version of Susan ... hmmm ... it must be more weird for Justin BECAUSE he never noticed before.

Diane intimidating? Would that be even worse when she inevitably learns magic?

... how much does SARAH know about Diane and Nanase anyway?

17 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

No, Lucy, Diane, and Luke aren't coming to the party; they just say a few words in one flashback panel.

... and not even RELEVANT words. I mean, it would work almost same with just the narration.

48 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Diane �2004 The�Polar Express� movie version of Susan ... hmmm ... it must be more weird for Justin BECAUSE he never noticed before.

That and he's been pretty close to Susan since the Star Trek sleepover. They hang out online a lot.

Diane intimidating? Would that be even worse when she inevitably learns magic?

I'm guessing not unless it happens soon; Justin will get over this as they interact, and Diane is being drawn into their circle of friends; she's hung out with Ellen and Nanase a couple of times.

What will make it worse is when Susan inevitably has her binge watch Star Trek, and she starts making the same references. Up to recently, she didn't know much about the show.

Going to a different school, likely not much. I don't recall Justin, Grace, nor Ellen talking to her about it.

42 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Luke's words could be relevant. This is supposed to be just a bowling match. Why would Luke be so intimidated? Maybe because Luke can see something in Diane Justin can't?

Yeah, given what we know, his reaction seemed weird, begging a reason that was not evident. Maybe she or Lucy is marked, but you'd think he'd have told Justin when they left. Tara, the Griffin saw something about Diane, maybe it is also visible to Luke. If he saw it, he might not be familiar with what he saw; in spite of our knowing three, I doubt that vampire hunters are common. Plus she may have "gain a level" in it, merely by shouting warnings and not running away, also no longer scoffing at the concept (which would be since the spider guy).

I'm guessing he just that uncomfortable around girls or strangers, not clear which; maybe both? Maybe surprised that Justin is OK with them? Maybe the intensity of the competition was off-putting?

Maybe it's Diane's analytical nature. Justin is used to Susan, the only part that weirds him out is when he sees the similarity, but Luke, who is used to hiding, is hitting it cold turkey. Sarah's reaction at the end, and her two identical beads of sweat to Luke's in the first panel, might be saying this is the case.

<shrug>  It wasn't clear, it wasn't in the Word of Dan below, and Justin, at least, is unlikely to revisit the scene. Unless we see this from another point of view, it's probably not going to be explained. Maybe when Susan and Diane get together.

Actually I'm surprised that Justin's flashback included Diane and Lucy.

I'm wondering if the story will soon reach a plot point where the similarity between Susan and Diane will once again become relevant?  If so, having Justin "finally" realize just how eerily similar those two appear might be a way to remind the readers of that particular fact.

Or maybe Dan just thought this was an interesting scene to lead into the tale of the clothes-ripping ninja?

Just now, hkmaly said:

I don't think Sarah knows anything about Diane beyond what she's heard about people thinking she's Susan's sister and that Susan was meeting her. She's pretty much basing this on what she knows about Susan and applying what Justin's saying about Diane in a "what if Susan was like that" way.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Diane intimidating?

This is wild speculation from me, but the idea of Sarah becoming attracted to Diane because she's a more outgoing bisexual version of Susan, Susan being someone whom Sarah has known for years to be mostly introverted and assumes to be straight (I don't believe anyone other than Justin and Diane knows how Susan feels about both men and women). As part of Sarah's recent thoughts about her own orientation, maybe she thought "if there was a woman I'd want to be with, it's probably Susan, but she's Susan so I doubt that's possible" and so hearing about Diane just nowmade her think "well she's like Susan, but possibly more fun"

Maybe it's the Sarah/Diane pairing teases Dan's given us that's making me think this though.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

What will make it worse is when Susan inevitably has her binge watch Star Trek, and she starts making the same references. Up to recently, she didn't know much about the show.

Susan is leaning very much towards thinking of Diane as a sister, the inevitable cross talk between them over Star Trek would be glorious.

Though, what if Diane was a Babylon 5 fan?

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Luke's words could be relevant. This is supposed to be just a bowling match. Why would Luke be so intimidated? Maybe because Luke can see something in Diane Justin can't?

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

I'm guessing he just that uncomfortable around girls or strangers, not clear which; maybe both? Maybe surprised that Justin is OK with them? Maybe the intensity of the competition was off-putting?

Luke's probably intimidated because Justin knows Diane and Lucy from school and he doesn't, it's awkward when you're with someone  and they meet a couple of friends who are complete strangers to you and start challenging each other like that, it's like "would those friends* think I'm weird for trying to act like that too? They don't know me so why would they expect me to join in like some imposter?"

*Luke doesn't know the history between Justin, Diane and Lucy, Diane's only recently reached out to Justin and he's giving her the opportunity but that's been within the last week or so.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:
15 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Luke's probably intimidated because Justin knows Diane and Lucy from school and he doesn't, it's awkward when you're with someone  and they meet a couple of friends who are complete strangers to you and start challenging each other like that, it's like "would those friends* think I'm weird for trying to act like that too? They don't know me so why would they expect me to join in like some imposter?"

Either of both makes more sense than him being that much intimated by the vampire-slaying talent specifically ... but ... note that Diane is "half-elf", quarter immortal. Maybe that IS something Luke can see?

15 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Susan is leaning very much towards thinking of Diane as a sister, the inevitable cross talk between them over Star Trek would be glorious.

VERY unlikely. Remember Diane is afraid of "being nerd" - and Babylon 5 is even more nerdy than Star Trek.

Also, with the way Diane was dating, I consider quite likely she saw lot of movies, possibly including Star Trek movies - but NOT the TV series. If anything, she might be Star Wars fan - but I doubt it, even that is too nerdy.

Of course, with her detective talent, she might remember surprising amount of details about movies she saw, so she wouldn't be completely lost in nerd discussion if you manage to lure her into one.

Maybe it's the Sarah/Diane pairing teases Dan's given us that's making me think this though.

Probably.

Hmmm ... Sarah seem to be involved in LOT of teases ... Diane, Nanase, OTT ...

Just now, hkmaly said:

Either of both makes more sense than him being that much intimated by the vampire-slaying talent specifically ... but ... note that Diane is "half-elf", quarter immortal. Maybe that IS something Luke can see?

Justin knows that luke can see if a person has magic, he also knows that Diane was said to have the same affinity as Susan, So I would suspect that if Luke was acting nervous around Diane, Justin should have picked up on it and been all "yeah, I already know, but Lucy probably doesn't so don't say anything".

Just now, hkmaly said:

Babylon 5 is even more nerdy than Star Trek.

I dunno about more nerdy. While it does do the storytelling better, many aspects of it are comparable to Deep Space 9. It'd be like "Who's a better space station commander, Sisko or Sheridan?"

Just now, hkmaly said:

Also, with the way Diane was dating, I consider quite likely she saw lot of movies, possibly including Star Trek movies - but NOT the TV series. If anything, she might be Star Wars fan - but I doubt it, even that is too nerdy.

She hides being a nerd from others, but geeks out about Nanase using her fairy avatar and was clearly suppressing the urge when the griffons saved hers and Charlotte's lives, I'd say she's a closet nerd.

Just now, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... Sarah seem to be involved in LOT of teases ... Diane, Nanase, OTT ...

Even herself apparently, but then, she's not the first character to be attracted to themself.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Hmm, if she is half-elf, then she should be a dual-class Ranger, with her other class being also Ranger. Then she could dual wield her dual wields. :D

5 hours ago, ijuin said:

Hmm, if she is half-elf, then she should be a dual-class Ranger, with her other class being also Ranger. Then she could dual wield her dual wields. :D

Don't let the players in my game here that, as they would try...

Just now, InfiniteRemnant said:

is it weird that that comment got me picturing her in the nietzschean variant of the Old Systems Comonwealth uniform from Andromeda?

Hmmm, if Lucy was a Xena fan as evident by her choice of outfit sometimes, maybe Lucy and Diane watched it together on occasion and since Xena sometimes crossed over with Hercules, Diane might have seen Kevin Sorbo and if she liked what she saw, it could have lead to her taking an interest in Andromeda.

Last 3E game I was in I dual-classed cleric and barbarian. After a few months I figured out that I could have RPed the barbarian better as a straight cleric. And had better, safer barbarian rages - and more of them after a few levels - although they would take a couple turns to kick in rather than being instantaneous.

On 8/13/2019 at 3:26 AM, Scotty said:
On 8/13/2019 at 2:04 AM, hkmaly said:

Justin knows that luke can see if a person has magic, he also knows that Diane was said to have the same affinity as Susan, So I would suspect that if Luke was acting nervous around Diane, Justin should have picked up on it and been all "yeah, I already know, but Lucy probably doesn't so don't say anything".

... which we wouldn't know about because we didn't get full story about the date, just quick summary.

Yes, it's possible that something like this happened.

Babylon 5 is even more nerdy than Star Trek.

I dunno about more nerdy. While it does do the storytelling better, many aspects of it are comparable to Deep Space 9. It'd be like "Who's a better space station commander, Sisko or Sheridan?"

I'm not talking about storytelling or anything like that. I'm talking about mainstream popularity. StarTrek is more mainstream than Babylon 5.

Sure, there are lot of StarTrek nerds (probably including me ... and definitely including Susan), but there are also lot of people who just saw StarTrek. You can say you liked Star Trek and not be immediately labeled nerd. Babylon 5 meanwhile ... I think most non-nerds who DID saw it don't remember the name.

She hides being a nerd from others, but geeks out about Nanase using her fairy avatar and was clearly suppressing the urge when the griffons saved hers and Charlotte's lives, I'd say she's a closet nerd.

She fears of becoming nerd. It's not just hiding it from others, it's mainly about hiding her nerd tendencies (which she has, yes, as visible on griffins) from herself.

21 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:
On 8/12/2019 at 9:24 PM, Scotty said:

is it weird that that comment got me picturing her in the nietzschean variant of the Old Systems Comonwealth uniform from Andromeda?

Yes. Andromeda is related to Star Trek, not to Babylon 5.

14 hours ago, Scotty said:
21 hours ago, InfiniteRemnant said:

Hmmm, if Lucy was a Xena fan as evident by her choice of outfit sometimes, maybe Lucy and Diane watched it together on occasion and since Xena sometimes crossed over with Hercules, Diane might have seen Kevin Sorbo and if she liked what she saw, it could have lead to her taking an interest in Andromeda.

... so, our latest assumption is Diane is bisexual, right? In that case yes.

27 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

less assumption, and more stated by several characters (mainly Dianne herself & Justin) and demonstrated in canon (Attraction to both Elliot and Lucy, is a big hint).

4 minutes ago, InfiniteRemnant said:
35 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

less assumption, and more stated by several characters (mainly Dianne herself & Justin) and demonstrated in canon (Attraction to both Elliot and Lucy, is a big hint).

Considering Diane just realized her attraction to Lucy, she might not yet be completely reliable source.

Compare to Nanase, who also dated lot of people ... then started dating Ellen and realized she's lesbian.

Sure, Diane's attraction to Elliot seems real ... unlike most of her dates ... but I don't remember where and how convincingly Diane stated she's bisexual.

Justin might be wrong.

gimmie a bit to dig through the archive. unless i'm remembering it wrong, i'm pretty sure the scene i'm thinking of is just after the 'shouting on top of a table' scene.

EDIT: and i just went through that entire arc and can't find it... Huh... Maybe i was remembering that bit wrong.

Edited by InfiniteRemnant

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Considering Diane just realized her attraction to Lucy, she might not yet be completely reliable source.

Compare to Nanase, who also dated lot of people ... then started dating Ellen and realized she's lesbian.

Sure, Diane's attraction to Elliot seems real ... unlike most of her dates ... but I don't remember where and how convincingly Diane stated she's bisexual.

Justin might be wrong.

I know you know these: Panel 5Panel 3 ,  Panel 3 .  Attracted to two different girls, and Elliot, at least for a while. Meh, might be like Ashley, "I don't like labels."

Edited by Darth Fluffy
fixed middle link

56 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Justin might be wrong.

I know you know these: Panel 5Panel 3 ,  Panel 3 .  Attracted to two different girls, and Elliot, at least for a while. Meh, might be like Ashley, "I don't like labels."

Both of your "Panel 3" links points to same page.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Both of your "Panel 3" links points to same page.

Thanks for pointing that out. This is what I had intended to link, Rhoda stating knowledge of Diane's preference.

I was wondering how that happened, I know I linked the correct page, then as I was copying the link this time, I remembered that sometimes when I copy and paste, copy seems to fail, leaving the old data in the buffer. It happens more at work, and I usually spot it right away. I guess I should have checked my links.

As to why that happens, I guess either the keyboard isn't communicating the ctl-c keystroke, or there's a bug in how the key buffer is read.

6 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Justin might be wrong.

As far as I can tell, Diane hasn't show a dislike for men in general, she hasn't had any "maybe I just need to find the right man" denials that Nanase had. Of course there was the "but not all boys!" comments, but considering she was looking for romance and the boys she dated apparently weren't interested in romance, she never really had any experience that would tell her "maybe boys aren't for me". There's also the fact that she apparently had such a hard crush on Rick that finding out he was gay devastated her and had her acting homophobic for a while, I dunno if even being gay herself even if she didn't realize it yet, would have produced the same reaction if she only thought Rick might be attracted rather than actually being attracted to him. At best I'd say she could be Bisexual Homoromantic like Ellen is, except without the male attraction being tacked on magically.

We likely won't see Diane go for a male though unless something happens between her and Lucy.