• Announcements

    • Robin

      Welcome!   03/05/2016

      Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

Story Wednesday, Aug 14, 2019

Recommended Posts

If this conversation goes on much longer, Susan might blurt out that she made out with Justin. I'd say Susan's heart was bumpity-bump before the Demonic Duck turned off the lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

If this conversation goes on much longer, Susan might blurt out that she made out with Justin. I'd say Susan's heart was bumpity-bump before the Demonic Duck turned off the lights.

Diane knows Justin is friends with Susan though I don't think she knows how they met, Diane probably also expects that anyone who's friends with Susan, Elliot and Nanase probably knows about magic or has magic. Susan did tell Diane that the instance of her kissing a girl was under very special circumstances. Maybe Diane will come to the conclusion herself that Susan and Justin were transformed and had a moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the exception of the hammers, Susan has generally not been impulsive.

To see someone feel something and then act on that something is, in Susan's experience, far more bizarre than Mr Tensaided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

With the exception of the hammers, Susan has generally not been impulsive.

To see someone feel something and then act on that something is, in Susan's experience, far more bizarre than Mr Tensaided.

I think that it is more that someone who at least superficially seems to have so much in common with her is acting like that that is bizarre to her. I mean, she knows impulsive people. Catalina, for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I think that it is more that someone who at least superficially seems to have so much in common with her is acting like that that is bizarre to her. I mean, she knows impulsive people. Catalina, for example.

The key to the different behaviors of Susan and Diane is that Diane grew up with parents who stayed together and a sibling, while Susan was blighted by witnessing her dad's betrayal and then his apparent disappearance from her life. I say "apparent" because Dan hasn't invested a lot we can see in developing most of the parents of our teenage heroes.

Since Dan did put Diane and Susan together at the same time the others are gathering for the party, perhaps one or both of them will show up after all. We can only hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Since Dan did put Diane and Susan together at the same time the others are gathering for the party, perhaps one or both of them will show up after all. We can only hope.

The only way I see that happening is if Susan mentions Justin repeatedly texting her about going and Diane being concerned that Susan's shutting her friends out of her life and convinces her to go.

I mean, yes Diane hasn't spoke out about what happened to her and hasn't talked to Adrian about it yet either, but she's not avoiding her friends over it. That's much of why I felt Diane was handling it better, it's not getting in the way of her socializing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is speculation, but I think it's consistent with Diane's developed character. Diane probably wonders by now just how close Susan is to Elliot, and whether Susan is crushing on Elliot despite not admitting it. Diane has watched every episode of their webcast, possibly more than once, given Diane's Sherlock Holmes-ian focus on investigating mysteries. And Diane certainly knows that Elliot can turn into a girl now. So it's logical that Diane thinks the "girl" Susan admitted to kissing was Elliot.

BTW, in my headcanon, Diane's last name is "Holmes". I'd love Dan to make that canon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Scotty said:
13 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

If this conversation goes on much longer, Susan might blurt out that she made out with Justin. I'd say Susan's heart was bumpity-bump before the Demonic Duck turned off the lights.

Diane knows Justin is friends with Susan though I don't think she knows how they met, Diane probably also expects that anyone who's friends with Susan, Elliot and Nanase probably knows about magic or has magic. Susan did tell Diane that the instance of her kissing a girl was under very special circumstances. Maybe Diane will come to the conclusion herself that Susan and Justin were transformed and had a moment.

3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

This is speculation, but I think it's consistent with Diane's developed character. Diane probably wonders by now just how close Susan is to Elliot, and whether Susan is crushing on Elliot despite not admitting it. Diane has watched every episode of their webcast, possibly more than once, given Diane's Sherlock Holmes-ian focus on investigating mysteries. And Diane certainly knows that Elliot can turn into a girl now. So it's logical that Diane thinks the "girl" Susan admitted to kissing was Elliot.

BTW, in my headcanon, Diane's last name is "Holmes". I'd love Dan to make that canon.

Yes ; Diane is very likely to realize that the "special circumstances" Susan mentioned were transformation ; however, the details are harder to guess. For start, the most obvious transformation Susan might've been under would be FV5 - and Ellen might've already shown Diane how FV5 works. And, yes, Elliot would be more likely "that girl" than Justin.

6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:
6 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

I think that it is more that someone who at least superficially seems to have so much in common with her is acting like that that is bizarre to her. I mean, she knows impulsive people. Catalina, for example.

The key to the different behaviors of Susan and Diane is that Diane grew up with parents who stayed together and a sibling, while Susan was blighted by witnessing her dad's betrayal and then his apparent disappearance from her life. I say "apparent" because Dan hasn't invested a lot we can see in developing most of the parents of our teenage heroes.

I'm pretty sure that if Susan's father would still be around, it would be mentioned, no matter how many other parents are around and unmentioned.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:
6 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

Since Dan did put Diane and Susan together at the same time the others are gathering for the party, perhaps one or both of them will show up after all. We can only hope.

The only way I see that happening is if Susan mentions Justin repeatedly texting her about going and Diane being concerned that Susan's shutting her friends out of her life and convinces her to go.

I mean, yes Diane hasn't spoke out about what happened to her and hasn't talked to Adrian about it yet either, but she's not avoiding her friends over it. That's much of why I felt Diane was handling it better, it's not getting in the way of her socializing.

Diane has a big advantage that her friends can't possibly ask her anything related to Adrian or that incident.

Still, yes ; I think she would try to convince Susan to go if she learns about the party. Not sure if she would succeed, however. I think the story can work without them meeting.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm pretty sure that if Susan's father would still be around, it would be mentioned, no matter how many other parents are around and unmentioned.

I fooled around with a fanfic where Susan's dad hooked up with Tedd's mom and, hence, Van would be a half-sibling to both Susan and Tedd. But Van's been raised as a Brit, so I shelved that idea along with the fic.

Although... who's to say Susan's dad isn't a Brit? He didn't sound like one in the few words Dan put into his mouth so long ago, but...

While I'm speculating, one of my favorite amazing crackpot plot theories is that Diane's mom was actually another Immortal, which would mean Diane is actually 3/4 Immortal--more of an elf than her dad! It would explain why Adrian was never able to find her again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tom Sewell said:

This is speculation, but I think it's consistent with Diane's developed character. Diane probably wonders by now just how close Susan is to Elliot, and whether Susan is crushing on Elliot despite not admitting it. Diane has watched every episode of their webcast, possibly more than once, given Diane's Sherlock Holmes-ian focus on investigating mysteries. And Diane certainly knows that Elliot can turn into a girl now. So it's logical that Diane thinks the "girl" Susan admitted to kissing was Elliot.

BTW, in my headcanon, Diane's last name is "Holmes". I'd love Dan to make that canon.

At one point, Diane was crushing on Elliot to even consider if Susan was into him, I dunno if that would have changed between hearing about Elliot's breakup, and now, I think the rumours about Elliot being gay and meeting Ashley might have also preoccupied her thoughts, actually, she didn't jump to any conclusions about Susan being the new girlfriend when she overheard Ellen and Grace talking about Elliot having a date. And we know people were quick to believe Elliot and Susan were together, or could get together, but Diane didn't seem to subscribe to those thoughts.

It's possible she might jump to the conclusion of Elliot being the one Susan kissed if the topic of Elliot comes up and Susan makes it knows that she knows about him being able to transform, but alternatively, if the topic of Justin comes up and Susan happens to mention how she's always

been able to talk to him about stuff (but obviously at the moment she's not) Diane might be curious as to

how Susan and Justin became such close friends despite being in different schools, easiest conclusion would be Ellen and Elliot brought them together, but then someone else must have happened to make them bond so well, wait, Ellen and Elliot have transformation spells, maybe transformations were involved in Susan and Justin's bonding experience.

17 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Diane has a big advantage that her friends can't possibly ask her anything related to Adrian or that incident.

While they didn't know that Diane was meeting Susan that night, Rhoda was quick to believe that Diane fought monsters because Susan's description closely matched Diane's, Rhoda did ask about what happen, but Diane was able to tell the truth as far as the fact that it wasn't her, but said nothing about it beyond that, Rhoda and Lucy could still have asked if Diane knew anything about what happened, but we've no way of knowing if they did.

4 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
26 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm pretty sure that if Susan's father would still be around, it would be mentioned, no matter how many other parents are around and unmentioned.

I fooled around with a fanfic where Susan's dad hooked up with Tedd's mom and, hence, Van would be a half-sibling to both Susan and Tedd. But Van's been raised as a Brit, so I shelved that idea along with the fic.

Although... who's to say Susan's dad isn't a Brit? He didn't sound like one in the few words Dan put into his mouth so long ago, but...

Considering Adrian's been in England, France and Germany before moving to the U.S, the woman who would become Susan's ancestor was likely european and it could have been several generations before Susan's family arrived in the US, her Dad might have been english, or his dad might have been and he figured going back would distance himself from Susan.

Alternatively, it doesn't have to be Susan's dad that Noriko hooked up with, if Susan had known relatives that lived in the UK, it could have been one of them. It would be interesting if Susan had a relative that was an awakened vampire hunter and they met Noriko while tracking down the same monster.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Scotty said:
40 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Diane has a big advantage that her friends can't possibly ask her anything related to Adrian or that incident.

While they didn't know that Diane was meeting Susan that night, Rhoda was quick to believe that Diane fought monsters because Susan's description closely matched Diane's, Rhoda did ask about what happen, but Diane was able to tell the truth as far as the fact that it wasn't her, but said nothing about it beyond that, Rhoda and Lucy could still have asked if Diane knew anything about what happened, but we've no way of knowing if they did.

.... ok, they can ask but they can be easily fooled.

Given how many secrets Susan share with her friends, trying to lie to them about this would be both unfair and dangerous.

5 minutes ago, Scotty said:
21 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:

Although... who's to say Susan's dad isn't a Brit? He didn't sound like one in the few words Dan put into his mouth so long ago, but...

Considering Adrian's been in England, France and Germany before moving to the U.S, the woman who would become Susan's ancestor was likely european and it could have been several generations before Susan's family arrived in the US, her Dad might have been english, or his dad might have been and he figured going back would distance himself from Susan.

I think the countries are actually in reverse order - meaning, Adrian was first in Germany, then France, England and afterwards U.S.

However, considering WHEN was Adrian in actual twenties, it might be completely different country back then. Could be ROME as far as we know :)

Still, likely European, yes.

9 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Alternatively, it doesn't have to be Susan's dad that Noriko hooked up with, if Susan had known relatives that lived in the UK, it could have been one of them. It would be interesting if Susan had a relative that was an awakened vampire hunter and they met Noriko while tracking down the same monster.

Sounds much more likely. Especially considering that Susan can have HUNDREDS of relatives in Europe. Or possibly thousands. Actually, if it would be JUST thousands it would still speak about bad luck and lower fertility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hkmaly said:

Given how many secrets Susan share with her friends, trying to lie to them about this would be both unfair and dangerous.

Justin just stated that he didn't want to pry into Diane about Susan, Elliot understands that it might be related to how she got her magic, and Tedd and Sarah agreed not to pressure her into talking about it, I think Grace, Ellen and Nanase would feel the same way. But the way Susan sees it, if the others are going to be talking about their magic and such, then she's going to feel guilted into telling her story, so to her it's just as bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Alternatively, it doesn't have to be Susan's dad that Noriko hooked up with, if Susan had known relatives that lived in the UK, it could have been one of them. It would be interesting if Susan had a relative that was an awakened vampire hunter and they met Noriko while tracking down the same monster.

Possible and interesting. Susan could have a lot of relatives since she descends from a child born centuries ago.

 

44 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I think the countries are actually in reverse order - meaning, Adrian was first in Germany, then France, England and afterwards U.S.

Germany really wasn't a country until 1871; France and England have been around for more than a thousand years now. Adrian. Thanks to Henry V and Joan of Arc, France and England have patriotically hated each other for about seven centuries by now, but "Germany" was a patchwork of very loosely associated states, and despite Mr. H's doctrine, German-ness is also a vague term. Konrad Adenauer, the man who led West Germany for about the first two decades of its existence, was from the Rhineland, and he said of the Prussians being expelled from Poland when it got moved West by Stalin "A Prussian is a Pole who has forgotten who his grandfather was." 

Anyway, If Adrian ever identified with Germany, I think it would have been at some time between, say, 1806 and the 1890s. Napoleon gave pretty much all Germans a reason to hate him and the French more than, say, Bavaria hated Prussia. And the antics of Kaiser Wilhelm II after he fired Bismarck would have provided a good reason for Adrian to up sticks besides his periodic need to "die" and be reborn in a new identity, and moving to the United States at this time would mean he would be lost among millions of immigrants, most with little or no records to check.

Since Dan lives in Chicagoland, I suspect he may know a lot about the history of the large German community there. Who do you think brewed all the beer Al Capone made his money on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Scotty said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Given how many secrets Susan share with her friends, trying to lie to them about this would be both unfair and dangerous.

Justin just stated that he didn't want to pry into Diane about Susan, Elliot understands that it might be related to how she got her magic, and Tedd and Sarah agreed not to pressure her into talking about it, I think Grace, Ellen and Nanase would feel the same way. But the way Susan sees it, if the others are going to be talking about their magic and such, then she's going to feel guilted into telling her story, so to her it's just as bad.

Also, I don't think they mentioned any of that "not pressuring" to HER.

27 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Alternatively, it doesn't have to be Susan's dad that Noriko hooked up with, if Susan had known relatives that lived in the UK, it could have been one of them. It would be interesting if Susan had a relative that was an awakened vampire hunter and they met Noriko while tracking down the same monster.

Possible and interesting. Susan could have a lot of relatives since she descends from a child born centuries ago.

... of course, EVERYONE could have such amount of relatives, it's just that in Susan's case, quite a lot of them could be vampire hunters.

33 minutes ago, Tom Sewell said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

I think the countries are actually in reverse order - meaning, Adrian was first in Germany, then France, England and afterwards U.S.

Germany really wasn't a country until 1871; France and England have been around for more than a thousand years now. Adrian. Thanks to Henry V and Joan of Arc, France and England have patriotically hated each other for about seven centuries by now, but "Germany" was a patchwork of very loosely associated states, and despite Mr. H's doctrine, German-ness is also a vague term. Konrad Adenauer, the man who led West Germany for about the first two decades of its existence, was from the Rhineland, and he said of the Prussians being expelled from Poland when it got moved West by Stalin "A Prussian is a Pole who has forgotten who his grandfather was." 

Anyway, If Adrian ever identified with Germany, I think it would have been at some time between, say, 1806 and the 1890s. Napoleon gave pretty much all Germans a reason to hate him and the French more than, say, Bavaria hated Prussia. And the antics of Kaiser Wilhelm II after he fired Bismarck would have provided a good reason for Adrian to up sticks besides his periodic need to "die" and be reborn in a new identity, and moving to the United States at this time would mean he would be lost among millions of immigrants, most with little or no records to check.

Since Dan lives in Chicagoland, I suspect he may know a lot about the history of the large German community there. Who do you think brewed all the beer Al Capone made his money on?

Hmmm ... I would say the information we have are confusing ... based on fact that Arthur Arthur personally wanted to deport him to Russia, presumably shortly after entering United States, I though he's not in United States SO long ; on the other hand, I would consider likely that he would abandon Europe before World War II, considering he wouldn't be able to fight in it. Nothing points to Arthur being older than he looks, but it's weird that he would somehow be processing forms related to entering country around 1900 if he would start working for DGB after 1950 ...

And you're right, assuming Adrian was first in Germany wouldn't let him spend long in France and England ...

... and why do I suspect that Dan totally don't want to care about preparing Adrian's background specifically because it would require him studying history?

(Which is a pity, because reading about what historical events Adrian tried to escape from could be fun.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Near the end of Fiddler on the Roof, when all the Jews in Anatevka are forced to leave, there's a brief conversation between Tevye and Lazar Wolf (I've forgotten which one is which here, but id doesn't matter) that goes like this:

First Expelled Jew: Where in America are you going? New York?

Second Expelled Jew: No, Chicago.

First Expelled Jew: Oh. The other place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, I don't think they mentioned any of that "not pressuring" to HER.

Technically, Elliot did tell Susan that she didn't have to talk about magic. And they could live up to their end by not asking her any questions about magic, but I suspect that them talking among themselves would get to Susan after a while and maybe she's more afraid of her emotions boiling over in front of everyone rather than the act of actually talking about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Scotty said:
38 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Also, I don't think they mentioned any of that "not pressuring" to HER.

Technically, Elliot did tell Susan that she didn't have to talk about magic. And they could live up to their end by not asking her any questions about magic, but I suspect that them talking among themselves would get to Susan after a while and maybe she's more afraid of her emotions boiling over in front of everyone rather than the act of actually talking about it.

I think her most serious fear is about the risk of her blurting out something she didn't wanted to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Hmmm ... I would say the information we have are confusing ... based on fact that Arthur Arthur personally wanted to deport him to Russia, presumably shortly after entering United States, I though he's not in United States SO long ; on the other hand, I would consider likely that he would abandon Europe before World War II, considering he wouldn't be able to fight in it. Nothing points to Arthur being older than he looks, but it's weird that he would somehow be processing forms related to entering country around 1900 if he would start working for DGB after 1950 ...

Possibly the area of Germany/Prussia that Adrian was associated with was one that fell under the Soviet sphere of influence during the Cold War (e.g. East Germany, or some part that was formerly Germany but now Poland). Given that Adrian was teacher to the parents of the current main teenage cast, he probably came to Moperville before 1980, so the Cold War was still ongoing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this