• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Story Friday August 16, 2019

Tedd might be a girl

Ok, Elliot may have revealed something that Tedd should have been allowed to choose when to tell Ashley.

On the other hand, by having her mind blown before going in, Ashley may now be able to roll with the other oddities beyond the door.

http://egscomics.com/comic/party-049

Ok, Elliot at least tries to not talk about Uryuom. Good. Granted, Ashley MAY remember the TF gun, but she may not ...

(They may also pretend the TF gun is technically wand, but it DOES look very tech-y compared to everything else Tedd has.)

50 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Tedd might be a girl

Ok, Elliot may have revealed something that Tedd should have been allowed to choose when to tell Ashley.

Yes. Also, if Tedd would be careful, he may NOT be girl when Ashley enters, despite being girl when she rings the door.

50 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

On the other hand, by having her mind blown before going in, Ashley may now be able to roll with the other oddities beyond the door.

I'm not sure she would be able to go in now. Seems frozen.

Too much good news at once. Also, she's totally going to want to try now. (Well, "now" ... when she reboots.)

35 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Tedd might be a girl

Right, right, she goes to North, and she's met Susan, Tedd, and Sarah at lunch. She's met Ellen, Nanase, Diane, and Charlotte. I do not recall her meeting Grace nor Justin.

So, in panel four, did they leave out Grace because she hadn't come up yet, so no context, or she doesn't do it much and they didn't think of it, or are they covering up her abilities. I'm guessing in that order.

23 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

(They may also pretend the TF gun is technically wand, but it DOES look very tech-y compared to everything else Tedd has.)

She's seen government involvement in magic. She's going to think government magic tech if nobody prompts her to think aliens. It will be interesting when she meets Grace, who can, on occasion be naively clueless about her impact.

(Do Charlotte and Diane realize she's part alien? Surely Charlotte researched "Squirrel Girl". (I wonder if she thinks she's met an actual Marvel superhero?) Charlotte may have some handle on aliens existing, but I don't think it's come up that she does. (Other than Griffins and other dimensions, so there's that ...) Not mentioning Diane, because she thought it was nerdy to care, but she is observant and insightful, has reached correct conclusions about paranormal events, and may be over the whole not caring thing.)

Actually, it's weird in the aftermath of non-Tengu that Charlotte did not ask more questions. Given that the government people were likely aware of her blog, perhaps someone edited her memory?

23 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure she would be able to go in now. Seems frozen.

Too much good news at once. Also, she's totally going to want to try now. (Well, "now" ... when she reboots.)

At least it's not scary this time. ... yet? She has got to be thinking, "How much am I going to be able to participate?", although "Everyone changed ..." should be a clue.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yes. Also, if Tedd would be careful, he may NOT be girl when Ashley enters, despite being girl when she rings the door.

Enough people have commented on it that Dan's added this to the commentary:

EDIT: Also, yeah, Tedd could've given permission in advance, but we didn't see that happen, so that's in the hands of personal head canon now! ...Unless I establish it on-panel later, though I'm not sure how it would come up.

So while it's not entirely confirmed in comic, Dan's acknowledge the likelihood of Tedd telling Elliot it was ok to do so.

Part of me would expect Tedd to be like "Well, if she's going to be spending more time here, she'd going to learn about it eventually so why not now?"

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:

(Do Charlotte and Diane realize she's part alien? Surely Charlotte researched "Squirrel Girl". (I wonder if she thinks she's met an actual Marvel superhero?) Charlotte may have some handle on aliens existing, but I don't think it's come up that she does. (Other than Griffins and other dimensions, so there's that ...) Not mentioning Diane, because she thought it was nerdy to care, but she is observant and insightful, has reached correct conclusions about paranormal events, and may be over the whole not caring thing.)

There hasn't been anything to suggest that Charlotte and Diane would thing Grace isn't fully human, for all they know, magic can let people have any form, and they just saw Not_Tengu as a perfect example.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Actually, it's weird in the aftermath of non-Tengu that Charlotte did not ask more questions. Given that the government people were likely aware of her blog, perhaps someone edited her memory?

I don't believe they'd alter her memories of that night, Edward probably wouldn't allow it considering if Ellen and Nanase had any say about it. It it's strictly in regards to Grace a simple "that's how her magic works" is probably enough, and I'm sure they've talked to Charlotte and Diane about keeping magic in general secret, and they seem to be doing so at the moment, I guess we'll see how long it is before Diane tells Lucy, but I'm wondering if they'll find out Rhoda and Catalina have magic at that point.

3 minutes ago, Scotty said:

... I'm wondering if they'll find out Rhoda and Catalina have magic at that point.

Rhoda and Catalina seem to have figured out on their own that it might be wise to keep a low profile. They've already been hiding that they are dating, and Catalina is not in their circle of friends. Rhoda might tell Diane and Lucy if she was on her own, but she won't talk because it affects Catalina as well. I don't think she'll assume that just talking about herself won't implicate Catalina, especially since she holds Diane in high regard for her perceptiveness. When they double date, I don't think they'll just volunteer it. If Diane breaks the ice and opens up about her experiences, they probably will as well.

They could find out if Rhoda or Catalina looses control, like the mall incident. I think that is unlikely. Rhoda is clearly increasing in skill. We haven't seen Catalina using her spell, but I'll bet that Rhoda is at the very least encouraging her to play around with it to learn how to use it properly. I don't see this happening.

It could come up as a topic because someone recalls seeing or overhearing some having seen any of the three of them in conjunction with paranormal activity. Might be awkward for Diane to walk back the denial about the Griffin. I'm betting Lucy is the one to bring it up, being the one with nothing to hide and unaware of their desire not to talk about it.

Also I can see Diane being very open with Lucy, but not about this, unless she drags Lucy with her to Charlotte's at some point and gets her involved.

7 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

They've already been hiding that they are dating, and Catalina is not in their circle of friends.

Well Lucy and Diane had known about Rhoda and Catalina dating for a while, it's why Lucy stopped being mean to her. But it didn't help that they never acknowledged it before Rhoda saw them kissing. Of course that's just the one secret and having magic is a separate matter, I was mainly thinking that learning about Rhoda and Catalina having magic, either by them just telling Diane, or Diane accidentally catching them using magic and then being like "It's cool, I've seen people use magic before!"

51 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Well Lucy and Diane had known about Rhoda and Catalina dating for a while, it's why Lucy stopped being mean to her. But it didn't help that they never acknowledged it before Rhoda saw them kissing. Of course that's just the one secret and having magic is a separate matter, I was mainly thinking that learning about Rhoda and Catalina having magic, either by them just telling Diane, or Diane accidentally catching them using magic and then being like "It's cool, I've seen people use magic before!"

You make some good points; there's also that when Rhoda insisted on a future double date, they did not object.

13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

So, in panel four, did they leave out Grace because she hadn't come up yet, so no context, or she doesn't do it much and they didn't think of it, or are they covering up her abilities. I'm guessing in that order.

I would put "Elliot forgot" on top of the list.

10 hours ago, Scotty said:
13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I don't believe they'd alter her memories of that night, Edward probably wouldn't allow it considering if Ellen and Nanase had any say about it. It it's strictly in regards to Grace a simple "that's how her magic works" is probably enough, and I'm sure they've talked to Charlotte and Diane about keeping magic in general secret, and they seem to be doing so at the moment, I guess we'll see how long it is before Diane tells Lucy, but I'm wondering if they'll find out Rhoda and Catalina have magic at that point.

The main reason they didn't edited her memory is that they CAN'T - they simply don't have any quick, easy and safe way to alter memories as MiB or wizards in Potter.

However, I'm sure that she was TOLD not to ask and that they will be observing her blog. She might also consider safer to not ask BECAUSE the less she knows the simpler for her is to not reveal anything on her blog.

6 hours ago, Don Edwards said:

I've had fun with the thought that maybe everyone in Moperville is hiding the fact that they have magic or someone they know has magic...

Very unlikely ... however, Pandora was trying to mark people for some time now. If she wasn't lazy, I would expect that there are hundreds if not thousands marked people in Moperville ... that's like, still not everyone (there are thousand people IN THE SCHOOL) but still lot, and possibly everyone who COULD be marked.

(Granted, maybe she WAS lazy.)

59 minutes ago, Scotty said:
10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

They've already been hiding that they are dating, and Catalina is not in their circle of friends.

It's definitely possible that they had as much success hiding their magic from Diane as they had their relationship. The double date MIGHT be good point to reveal that ...

... just had an idea: Rhoda would be saying something and Diane replies "sssss ... Lucy doesn't know" :)

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

"she doesn't do it much"

14 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She might also consider safer to not ask BECAUSE the less she knows the simpler for her is to not reveal anything on her blog.

's the truth. If she doesn't know, she's just speculating, and it isn't a violation of secrecy.

18 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
38 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

"she doesn't do it much"

She's literally doing it all the time. I mean transforming, not specifically transforming to male form.

Sure, technically she can "only" mix forms she got from the TF gun, but she's still the one who transform most often.

21 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
41 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She might also consider safer to not ask BECAUSE the less she knows the simpler for her is to not reveal anything on her blog.

's the truth. If she doesn't know, she's just speculating, and it isn't a violation of secrecy.

Exactly.

37 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

She's literally doing it all the time. I mean transforming, not specifically transforming to male form.

Yeah, but that was the point. She's been Tedd, and male Grace, but not often in-comic. Doesn't seem to be her thing. She mostly does it in-comic to accommodate Tedd (which backfired with male Grace, at the time.)

Edited by Darth Fluffy
typo

1 minute ago, Darth Fluffy said:
4 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Yeah, but that was the point. She's been Tedd, and male Grace, but not often in-comic. Doesn't seem to be her thing. She mostly does it in-comic to accommodate Tedd (wWhich backfired with male Grace, at the time.)

It's probably closer to truth it's not TEDD's thing. Meaning, Grace is transforming to males less often than she would if Tedd wouldn't mind. Case in point.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Yeah, but that was the point. She's been Tedd, and male Grace, but not often in-comic. Doesn't seem to be her thing. She mostly does it in-comic to accommodate Tedd (wWhich backfired with male Grace, at the time.)

She's also been both female!Sarah and male!Sarah, but Elliot might not know about that, unless Ellen's told him about it.

Actually, if Sarah was at Tedd's with Grace, but Tedd spent the day playing chess with Elliot at Elliot's, Ellen would likely have passed by Elliot and Tedd and said "Grace just called me over to help her and Sarah design an MV5 form, cyas!"

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

Actually, if Sarah was at Tedd's with Grace, but Tedd spent the day playing chess with Elliot at Elliot's, Ellen would likely have passed by Elliot and Tedd and said "Grace just called me over to help her and Sarah design an MV5 form, cyas!"

No. With how nervous she was about it, I don't think she told anything to Elliot.

But the logistic is interesting. WHERE would Tedd be playing the chess and WHY there and not in his home? I don't think they are at Elliot's ...

... maybe they are actually in comix shop because neither has chess at home and they can lend them there?

Just now, hkmaly said:

No. With how nervous she was about it, I don't think she told anything to Elliot.

She didn't seem that nervous there, heck by the third panel she had convinced herself that it'll be fun.

Just now, hkmaly said:

But the logistic is interesting. WHERE would Tedd be playing the chess and WHY there and not in his home? I don't think they are at Elliot's ...

It was pretty clear that Tedd and Elliot weren't simply upstairs at Tedd's or they'd have seen a naked Grace come up to get sweatpants and Sarah bolting up to hide from her attraction to Ellen.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... maybe they are actually in comix shop because neither has chess at home and they can lend them there?

I don't really see Elliot having gone to the comic shop since New and Old Flames though, and really? Who doesn't own a chess set? It's one of those things that you end up with during raffles or as a prize from a golf tournament, or christmas gift exchange, etc. (yes, I'm in possession of multiple sets, want one? ;) ).

On 8/16/2019 at 6:43 PM, hkmaly said:

Y'know, it's easy to forget how literally true this is.  Grace's natural form is apparently her part-squirrel form, so the form we tend to think of as "Grace" is a transformation, and she at least spends all day at school and in public in her non-antenna human form, and a lot of her time alone with friends is in human form with or without antenna.  Grace really is literally transformed almost all the time.

Of course, that brings up the difference between Uryuom transformation, where Grace changes forms but is not enchanted once she's transformed, and typical human magic transformations, where they are enchanted and will revert to their default form when the enchantment ends.  (Except for spells like Tedd's that specifically change the default form, but that's apparently a lot rarer and harder to do....)

19 hours ago, Scotty said:

She didn't seem that nervous there, heck by the third panel she had convinced herself that it'll be fun.

Ellen was more nervous than Sarah was about the whole thing.

19 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't really see Elliot having gone to the comic shop since New and Old Flames though, and really? Who doesn't own a chess set? It's one of those things that you end up with during raffles or as a prize from a golf tournament, or christmas gift exchange, etc. (yes, I'm in possession of multiple sets, want one? ;) ).

I can guarantee I have never won a chess set as a prize from a golf tournament.  In fact, other than Putt-Putt, I have never golfed, period.  And rather like discovering just how many people don't actually have even one bookshelf with books on it, you might be surprised how many people have never owned a chess set, and indeed don't even know how to play chess.  (I'm not one of them, I'm way too geeky, but I don't really know anything about chess strategy and such, so some would say I don't really know how to play, I just know how all the pieces are allowed to move. ;-)

Hmm,  given that what I own is actually a box that has pieces and boards for chess, checkers, backgammon, go, and a few other games, does that count as a fraction of a chess set, ir does its geekiness make it count as more than a mere chess set?

20 hours ago, Scotty said:
On 8/17/2019 at 10:23 AM, hkmaly said:

She's not talking sincerely on that panel. You can see how nervous she was - of course not from MV5, but from doing MV5 WITH SARAH - few pages later -

1 hour ago, CritterKeeper said:
20 hours ago, Scotty said:

... yes, here.

I can guarantee I have never won a chess set as a prize from a golf tournament.  In fact, other than Putt-Putt, I have never golfed, period.  And rather like discovering just how many people don't actually have even one bookshelf with books on it, you might be surprised how many people have never owned a chess set, and indeed don't even know how to play chess.  (I'm not one of them, I'm way too geeky, but I don't really know anything about chess strategy and such, so some would say I don't really know how to play, I just know how all the pieces are allowed to move. ;-)

Hmm,  given that what I own is actually a box that has pieces and boards for chess, checkers, backgammon, go, and a few other games, does that count as a fraction of a chess set, ir does its geekiness make it count as more than a mere chess set?

I might know even little more than how pieces are allowed to move, spend some time playing chess with grandpa ... on his cottage. When he was still alive. Before I moved from parents. Chess are like riding bicycle right? ... ok probably not.

I don't have any chess set. Although I suppose if I wanted one my parents might find some ... unless they already thrown them away.

On 8/17/2019 at 1:43 AM, hkmaly said:

Y'know, it's easy to forget how literally true this is.  Grace's natural form is apparently her part-squirrel form, so the form we tend to think of as "Grace" is a transformation, and she at least spends all day at school and in public in her non-antenna human form, and a lot of her time alone with friends is in human form with or without antenna.  Grace really is literally transformed almost all the time.

That too. Although it can be nitpicked that "being transformed" don't count, that important is how often she transform ... which she's also doing all the time. She's transforming to change clothes!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/227/knightmare-chess

5 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Ellen was nervous about reconnecting with Elliot's (then) girlfriend, which, because she shared his memories, she had memories of as her girlfriend. It wasn't so much about the transformation itself, she just felt awkward.

In fact, other than Putt-Putt, I have never golfed, period. 

Robin Williams on Golf

Hmm,  given that what I own is actually a box that has pieces and boards for chess, checkers, backgammon, go, and a few other games, does that count as a fraction of a chess set, or does its geekiness make it count as more than a mere chess set?

This would up the geek cred of your game. As would this, or this.

None of them are particularly recommended. The reviews for Knightmare chess say "Get's old fast"; it's only around 3/5 on BoardGameGeeks.

The tournament set is really only useful for tournaments. The board and pieces are awkwardly large for casual use.

The chess clock probably has the most potential, because you could adapt it to a variety of games.

9 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

In hindsight, this shouldn't surprised me.

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
16 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

Ellen was nervous about reconnecting with Elliot's (then) girlfriend, which, because she shared his memories, she had memories of as her girlfriend. It wasn't so much about the transformation itself, she just felt awkward.

It wasn't JUST reconnecting. I think both played part. Designing MV5 with Grace, not a problem. Interacting with Sarah, maybe little nervous. But interacting with Sarah on topics which will appear when designing MV5? THAT made her nervous.

16 hours ago, CritterKeeper said:

In fact, other than Putt-Putt, I have never golfed, period.

If computer games count, I DID played golf. Not in reality, however. I don't think I would find first few balls I hit. Maybe I should start with minigolf.

.... wait, when you say Putt-Putt, are you talking about the computer game or minigolf?

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It wasn't JUST reconnecting. I think both played part. Designing MV5 with Grace, not a problem. Interacting with Sarah, maybe little nervous. But interacting with Sarah on topics which will appear when designing MV5? THAT made her nervous.

Fair enough, that makes sense.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

.... wait, when you say Putt-Putt, are you talking about the computer game or minigolf?

I've moved around the US a bit, and from what I've gathered, the game where you rent putters and a ball and putt eighteen holes is called different things around the country. The one close to where I lived as a boy was spelled out, "Miniature Golf".

Another difference, but from a very small sample that may be misleading, is that minigolf has the gimmicks, the windmills and loops and such, putt-putt is straight putting on a narrow and often bent green.

I've also seen office toys that were a putting hole you could place on the floor to practice (had a circular ramp around the hole). I probably noticed because my dad was into golf.

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I've moved around the US a bit, and from what I've gathered, the game where you rent putters and a ball and putt eighteen holes is called different things around the country. The one close to where I lived as a boy was spelled out, "Miniature Golf".

Another difference, but from a very small sample that may be misleading, is that minigolf has the gimmicks, the windmills and loops and such, putt-putt is straight putting on a narrow and often bent green.

I suspect the difference is more about where it is than about how it looks. But I don't have enough experience to be sure about it.

4 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I've also seen office toys that were a putting hole you could place on the floor to practice (had a circular ramp around the hole). I probably noticed because my dad was into golf.

I think I only saw those in TV, but I wasn't looking for them in any shop and in fact don't spend much time in any shop possibly having it, so ...