• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
hkmaly

NP Friday, Aug 16, 2019

http://egscomics.com/egsnp/shs-13

Ok, Tedd now has great opportunity to make the scientific experiment of touching cheerleadra.

... I mean, she already touches her, technically, but I'm not sure he thinks scientifically enough now.

Tedd, think about Grace! What would she say if she saw this! ... ("Can I join you?" ... ok, nevermind)

33 minutes ago, Don Edwards said:

But I think we've seen this scene before...

That's something COMPLETELY different ... THEY were not in committed relationship :)

Back on the subject of Cheerleadra's skin though, I'm wondering if it feels like an Uryuom worker suit, that's something that we know is highly durable and from the descriptions of Grace and Ellen, you'd almost think you're not wearing anything, so I'd imagine that whatever material they used, it's got great elasticity and is smooth and soft to the touch, so I wouldn't be surprised that Cheerleadra's skin could have similar properties while still being actual skin.

In 1969 Tommy Roe said:

Girl You've got control on me
cuz I'm so dizzy I can't see
I need to call a doctor for some help

First thought upon seeing the first panel was of this oldie.

This comic could use a soundtrack...

21 hours ago, Scotty said:

Back on the subject of Cheerleadra's skin though, I'm wondering if it feels like an Uryuom worker suit, that's something that we know is highly durable and from the descriptions of Grace and Ellen, you'd almost think you're not wearing anything, so I'd imagine that whatever material they used, it's got great elasticity and is smooth and soft to the touch, so I wouldn't be surprised that Cheerleadra's skin could have similar properties while still being actual skin.

Note that magic is involved. It doesn't HAVE to follow physical laws. It's nicely described in Leif and Thorn:

On 9/18/2018 at 0:00 AM, Thorn said:

A mundane person going into battle would wear physical and spelltech-based protective gear.

[helmet, visor, armored vest, full body covering, combat boots]

The exact details of a magical-girl outfit vary based on the wearer’s style. Some are pretty reserved. Others are flashy, even gaudy. But they’re always visually impractical when compared to combat gear.

That’s because what makes them durable and functional isn’t their form — it’s the magical’s power.

[free-flowing hair never out of place, skater skirt never flips up, long frilly bow never gets caught, heeled shoes have balance and grip]

Of course, this is not Leif and Thorn and Cheerleadra is not exactly magical girl, but as Nanase said, "we see physical laws more like polite suggestions".

On 8/17/2019 at 10:27 AM, weirdee said:

when your boobs are that powerful, they don't need any support

... same is valid for this actually :)

11 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Full circle on the linked TV Tropes page. Do you really want to know what it is?

Note also that Cheerleadra OUTFIT on that page was likely inspired by Uryuom worker suit, assuming Elliot ever saw them.

Elliot has seen the Uryuom suits plenty of times.

Ellen, Nanase, and Grace were wearing them when they came to rescue Elliot from the Nest.

Grace was wearing the suit at the attack on the Dojo and when they responded to the New Year's Eve distress call.

12 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Elliot has seen the Uryuom suits plenty of times.

Ellen, Nanase, and Grace were wearing them when they came to rescue Elliot from the Nest.

Grace was wearing the suit at the attack on the Dojo and when they responded to the New Year's Eve distress call.

Right. He wasn't part of the rescue team but he was there :), and yes unlike others Grace wears it more often.

We don't know if he ever wore one but he saw them lot of times.

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
14 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note also that Cheerleadra OUTFIT on that page was likely inspired by Uryuom worker suit, assuming Elliot ever saw them.

No need to assume. (third panel)

That technically doesn't prove he saw them (although yes he did as Pharaoh mentioned) but yes it means we don't need to assume :)

15 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Note that magic is involved. It doesn't HAVE to follow physical laws. It's nicely described in Leif and Thorn:

I'm not saying that Cheerleadra's skin is following the same laws as an Uryuom suit, it'd just be magically equivalent to it.

48 minutes ago, Scotty said:
16 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not saying that Cheerleadra's skin is following the same laws as an Uryuom suit, it'd just be magically equivalent to it.

(Quoting someone doesn't always mean disagreeing with him.)

Maybe it does follow the same laws, maybe it's magically equivalent, maybe it's even better, maybe technically isn't because it doesn't have to (like, it may not need to stretch so much). Hard to say. Just, Uryuom suit presumably must follow physical laws (it MAY be using Uryuom technically magic energy but probably doesn't), while Cheerleadra's skin doesn't have to, giving it lot more options.

In fact, even SUPERMAN has short stick in this case - HE is supposed to follow physical laws, no matter how weird ones. In this sense, testing Cheerleadra won't answer the original question about superheroes, as Cheerleadra may "cheat" and have some effect of skin completely impossible for physical laws. Like, maybe it deflect all bullets except yellow ones :)

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

In fact, even SUPERMAN has short stick in this case - HE is supposed to follow physical laws, no matter how weird ones. In this sense, testing Cheerleadra won't answer the original question about superheroes, as Cheerleadra may "cheat" and have some effect of skin completely impossible for physical laws. Like, maybe it deflect all bullets except yellow ones :)

There have been weirder and/or sillier weaknesses. The original Mon-El, another of countless Superboy clones, had a vulnerability to lead. As Linkara put it, he was invulnerable to everything except bullets. :icon_eek:

(Yes, I know that is a simplification and that he would do just fine against an amazing number of modern kinds of ammunition. Still, given how common lead is, that was a pretty amazingly dumb weakness.)

The oddest part about Mon-El's weakness to lead was that he didn't have to be exposed to it internally or even touch it--there was apparently some kind of "radiation" from lead that caused him to be poisoned by mere proximity to large enough quantities of lead. (the small quantities of lead in everyday household fixtures including early-20th-century-installed plumbing and paint were not enough to affect him noticably over a span of several days)

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

The oddest part about Mon-El's weakness to lead was that he didn't have to be exposed to it internally or even touch it--there was apparently some kind of "radiation" from lead that caused him to be poisoned by mere proximity to large enough quantities of lead. (the small quantities of lead in everyday household fixtures including early-20th-century-installed plumbing and paint were not enough to affect him noticably over a span of several days)

Yeah, that lead 'radiation' kinda makes me wonder. I am no expert in radioactive isotopes but I thought that lead generally kinda sorta just sat there and didn't emit much in the way of radiation.

All isotopes of lead other than Pb-210 are either stable or have a half-life of three hours or less (and thus are long gone in any sample that hasn't been massively irradiated within the last week). Pb-210 exists as an intermediate decay product of uranium decay at parts-per-billion concentrations, but with its 22-year half-life, you won't see it in natural rocks lacking in uranium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_lead

3 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

There have been weirder and/or sillier weaknesses.

2 hours ago, ijuin said:

The oddest part about Mon-El's weakness to lead was that he didn't have to be exposed to it internally or even touch it--there was apparently some kind of "radiation" from lead that caused him to be poisoned by mere proximity to large enough quantities of lead.

Without mentioning that bit about "lead radiation" it wouldn't be nearly as weird as weakness to yellow color Green Lantern has (which I referred to).

23 minutes ago, ijuin said:

All isotopes of lead other than Pb-210 are either stable or have a half-life of three hours or less

You forgot 202Pb which is not stable although doesn't radiate anything ... however, that's not important. Important is that there is no specific lead radiation, nor uranium radiation, nor radium radiation ... types of radiation are alpha, beta and gamma (well ... and neutron and few others but still nothing AS specific) and there are lot of sources for each.

So, even the kryptonite radiation would require some sort of physical law we didn't discovered yet (or which only works in Superman's universe).

Nowhere in Superman comics was it said that kryptonite is 100% harmless to Earth life. The radiation from it is shown as being just about as dangerous to Earth people as handling refined subcritical pieces of uranium--for example, Lex Luthor wore a ring with a fragment of Kryptonite in it to keep Superman away, and developed leukemia from it. Given that kryptonite has also been described as a significantly more potent nuclear power source than uranium or plutonium (Metallo was able to run for years on a fragment of kryptonite, whereas he needed to change his uranium-based fuel units every single day), it suggests that the kryptonite radiation mostly just passes through normal Earth-life like neutrinos, only striking a few molecules here and there, whereas the more resistant Kryptonian matter (made super-resilient by the yellow-sunlight exposure) doesn't let it pass through and instead interacts with it more heavily.