• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

NP Monday August 19, 2019

Just now, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If the shop teacher is younger (under 35 or still has at least 9 fingers) there is a good chance that he knows nothing of wood beyond what is available at the local big-box home improvement store.

My shop teacher in high school was insistent that students read the manuals for each piece of equipment that had a motor and sharp blades and to answer a series of questions to prove you've read them, AND actually sign them because he treated them like formal documents stating that you know how the equipment works and all the safety measures for their use, before he'd let us use them. He would have been in his 40's though but certainly still had all his fingers.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Stores with woodworking selections of wood are few and far between, indeed. Some big boxish stores may have some cabinet grade plywood with decent veneers and moulding available.

For Ontario, I've been able to find A&M Specialty Wood in Cambridge, that's about a 3-4 hour drive for me though, for Tedd though, I've found Rockler Woodworking & Hardware with a locations in Bolingbrook, Orland Park and Schaumburg, which isn't that far from Naperville, so assuming there's a similar franchise around Moperville, Tedd should be able to order various types of wood and have it delivered the next day or ask Elliot if he wants to drive out there on a weekend, Bolingbrook I think is closest.

17 hours ago, Scotty said:
20 hours ago, hkmaly said:

There is probably less difference between "empty" stick and "empty" watches than between creating wand without and with help of computer.

If it's wood, it can be identified by the colour (unless it's stained/painted) and grain, I wonder if it's too late to get into a woodworking course for the final semester of school? ;)

... from point of view of magic, I meant.

14 hours ago, ijuin said:

One wonders what materials make for a better magical energy conduit and capacitor. Lore suggests that crystals or gemstones are superior for such a purpose.

Hmmm ... with actual lab and funding, Tedd might start experimenting with materials costing more than he could afford before ...

17 hours ago, Scotty said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

... from point of view of magic, I meant.

Sorry, I thought you meant by type and quality of materials.

Oh. Hard to say how good material ordinary wood is (it probably matters what tree it's from, more than color), but even if it's considerably better than whatever the watches are from (which IS possible), I would STILL say Pandora's lesson wasn't about difference between wood wand and watches, it was to let Tedd try that yes, she can create the wand even without help of computer.

The material will have big influence on how much energy can the wand store etc, but the process of creating wand will be the same.