• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Story Wednesday August 21, 2019

https://egscomics.com/comic/party-051

So one day Edward Verres brought home a kitten with hedgehog spines (the spiky hairs) and Tedd never bothered to ask from where it originated.

If this was in Tedd's "Mute" phase, it probably was just one of many questions that simply didn't rise to the threshold of vocalization.

And, as always for cats, if you actually want to be near the cat, the cat wants nothing to do with you.

I've always gotten along well with cats. I've used the technique @mlooney describes above many times to good effect. I think part of the reason it is so useful is that you place yourself at (literal) arm's length and thus clearly respect the cat's personal space. You give the cat a feeling of safety and something new to sniff at, and then often its natural curiosity will take over. As to the rest of it, I simply give them room and wait for them to decide if they are interested in me. If they are, I begin friendship overtures. Otherwise I leave them alone.

It seems to work both for me and the cats.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

https://egscomics.com/comic/party-051

So one day Edward Verres brought home a kitten with hedgehog spines (the spiky hairs) and Tedd never bothered to ask from where it originated.

Seems so.

This would be good opportunity to expand what we already knew, but no.

2 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

If this was in Tedd's "Mute" phase, it probably was just one of many questions that simply didn't rise to the threshold of vocalization.

I'm not sure he would ask if NOT in mute phase. In fact, maybe he asked - and Edward didn't answered. Or said just DGB. I'm sure this happens often so Tedd is used to it.

1 hour ago, Haylo said:

Look intently, straight at kitty, for just a second or two; then look away as if bored. Message: I see you and think I can trust you with my back turned.

16 minutes ago, The Old Hack said:

I've always gotten along well with cats. I've used the technique @mlooney describes above many times to good effect. I think part of the reason it is so useful is that you place yourself at (literal) arm's length and thus clearly respect the cat's personal space. You give the cat a feeling of safety and something new to sniff at, and then often its natural curiosity will take over. As to the rest of it, I simply give them room and wait for them to decide if they are interested in me. If they are, I begin friendship overtures. Otherwise I leave them alone.

Meanwhile, Ashley didn't stopped staring at Jeremy and she moved to him quite fast. With predictable result.

Seem she doesn't have much experience with cats.

4 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Tedd could have been a toddler, and it may have been the first cat he ever saw.

2 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

It seems to work both for me and the cats.

I will let a strange cat I want to meet sniff the back of my hand.

3 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Old Possum, through the human TS Elliot, already told us everything we need to know about The Ad-dressing of Cats

"You'll be sure to find him resting, or a-licking of his thumbs, or engaged in doing complicated long division sums."

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not sure he would ask if NOT in mute phase. In fact, maybe he asked - and Edward didn't answered. Or said just DGB. I'm sure this happens often so Tedd is used to it.

I'm leaning towards Jeremy being brought home after Tedd got the TFG, I mean, I can't be absolutely certain of it, but a lack of Jeremy in the Tam et Tedd flashback is what I'm basing that on.

I don't think Ashley went as far as "KITTY!" like Susan did, but yeah, holding your hand over the cat's head like that isn't an inviting gesture.

A bit of a tangent though; considering Justin's reaction to seeing Diane being showing "Susan-like" behaviour, I can't help but feel we should see Susan show "Diane-like" behaviour as some point, I think we've seen moments that might qualify (Nanase's reaction to Susan giggling seems to be a good indicator, and I don't think "KITTY!" counts though, as I think that's beyond even "Diane-like" behaviour), but how would Justin react?

While I've encountered a few cats that like to have their head patted, in my experience most prefer rubbing their head against a person's hand (or leg). (I almost made a joke about cats wanting to be the ones doing the patting, with their heads.) Most are also only interested if they are the one to initiate it. (Which is where holding out your hand at the ca'ts level similar to what has been mentioned already in the thread is helpful, as it give the cat the choice of whether to initiate contact or not.)

13 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
18 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

Tedd could have been a toddler, and it may have been the first cat he ever saw.

It could've been first cat he saw even if he was older - or not first, but considering there are different breeds of cats ... Diane didn't knew how ethnicity worked on age six. Tedd might only realize Jeremy is not normal cat when learning biology in school.

12 hours ago, Scotty said:

A bit of a tangent though; considering Justin's reaction to seeing Diane being showing "Susan-like" behaviour, I can't help but feel we should see Susan show "Diane-like" behaviour as some point, I think we've seen moments that might qualify (Nanase's reaction to Susan giggling seems to be a good indicator, and I don't think "KITTY!" counts though, as I think that's beyond even "Diane-like" behaviour), but how would Justin react?

Hmmmm ... noone seen the first moment, but you may be right about the second.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

It could've been first cat he saw even if he was older - or not first, but considering there are different breeds of cats ... Diane didn't knew how ethnicity worked on age six. Tedd might only realize Jeremy is not normal cat when learning biology in school.

Someone said something like that about Susan and Jeremy, too, and I have to ask, where the h#!! do ya'll live that you do not have ubiquitous felines? Perhaps for someone living in Alaska, the eagles have carried them all off, but not near Chicago. Plus, Tedd reads the InterWebs, which as we all know, it primarily inhabited by cats. Lol. Can haz amenz?

In case anyone reading this has never seen cats, here is an image.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It could've been first cat he saw even if he was older - or not first, but considering there are different breeds of cats ... Diane didn't knew how ethnicity worked on age six. Tedd might only realize Jeremy is not normal cat when learning biology in school

I dunno how long the Dunkels have had Brownie, but if they had her longer than Tedd's had Jeremy, I'd be surprise if Tedd hadn't seen her before. And before anyone says that maybe Tedd had never been to Elliot's before, I gotta wonder who Edward would have trusted to watch over Tedd while away on "government business"? it might have been split between the Dunkels and Kitsunes, maybe not evenly split, like the Dunkels might have in case the Kitsunes weren't able.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Someone said something like that about Susan and Jeremy, too, and I have to ask, where the h#!! do ya'll live that you do not have ubiquitous felines? Perhaps for someone living in Alaska, the eagles have carried them all off, but not near Chicago. Plus, Tedd reads the InterWebs, which as we all know, it primarily inhabited by cats. Lol. Can haz amenz?

There is a big difference between toddler, child starting school and almost-adult teenager.

2 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

In case anyone reading this has never seen cats, here is an image.

:)

1 hour ago, Scotty said:
4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

It could've been first cat he saw even if he was older - or not first, but considering there are different breeds of cats ... Diane didn't knew how ethnicity worked on age six. Tedd might only realize Jeremy is not normal cat when learning biology in school

I dunno how long the Dunkels have had Brownie, but if they had her longer than Tedd's had Jeremy, I'd be surprise if Tedd hadn't seen her before. And before anyone says that maybe Tedd had never been to Elliot's before, I gotta wonder who Edward would have trusted to watch over Tedd while away on "government business"? it might have been split between the Dunkels and Kitsunes, maybe not evenly split, like the Dunkels might have in case the Kitsunes weren't able.

Earlier, someone though Jeremy is too old for cat. Brownie might be younger.

However, even if not or if Dunkels had another cat before, there are different breeds of cats. Considering both of these are cats, realizing Jeremy is not just another little more exotic breed may not be so simple:

exotic-shorthair-cat.jpg220px-Sphinx2_July_2006.jpg

Note also that I don't think Dunkels were involved in watching Tedd when he was young and needed it most. Remember that Elliot only met Tedd in 4th Grade. MAYBE Kitsunes were involved, but I suspect that Edward send some agents to watch Tedd ...

Just now, hkmaly said:

Remember that Elliot only met Tedd in 4th Grade. MAYBE Kitsunes were involved, but I suspect that Edward send some agents to watch Tedd ...

Elliot knew of Tedd before 4th grade though, Ellen compared Noah to being "3rd grade Tedd awkward", and I think Second Life Ellen knowing Tedd all the way back in kindergarten can be an indication that Tedd and Elliot have been in the same class together from that point too, it's just that in the main universe Elliot didn't step up to Tedd's defense and become friends with him until the 4th grade. Though I guess from Tedd's perspective, if he had been avoiding interacting with classmates (like we saw in the SL page), there's a good chance he didn't pay attention to who was who (other than maybe Tony who picked on him frequently) so Elliot coming to his defense in 4th grade would have been Tedd's first contact with Elliot.

Hmm...considering Ellen felt the need to hug Tedd after the first night of SL dreams, do you think that maybe she felt bit guilty for Elliot(and by extension, herself) not having reached out to Tedd sooner?

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

There is a big difference between toddler, child starting school and almost-adult teenager.

Literally.

I grew up (chronologically, if not other ways) in a place that did not have an overabundance of cats, but enough such that my parents did not have to explain to me what the animal in the Hat was. When I was three or four, my parents took me to the Philadelphia zoo. When we saw big cats, I did not have to ask what a cat was. Within the same year or so, my folks took me on a train to NYC (shortly before passenger service from our town in Pa to NYC shut off), and we saw the Museum of Natural History, the one off Central Park (I did not know that at the time). When we saw Smilodon, I did not need to ask about what a cat was; I did ask a bazillion questions, but that wasn't one of them. By the time I entered school, and my classmates and I learned to read using an off-brand primer with Alice and Jerry and Jip (Jip was a dog) and Jip had his encounter with Another Creature, out of thirty of us, exactly none had to have the concept of "cat" explained to them.

We also had television, a big blond cabinet with a black and white screen. The shows had cats, the commercials had cats, my cartoons had cats. I recall Ruff and Reddy, I must have been all of two or three years old (three, per Wiki, when it was first aired). Of course, Sylvester, and then Katnip, which I only just learned is spelled with a K. (Also, Arnold Stang voiced Herman, the mouse, I did not know that. He was one of the mechanics who's service station is destroyed by Jonathan Winters in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Also voiced one of the cats in Top Cat.) Disney had a few, there was an antagonist cat in Cinderella, and the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland. At no point did "What is a cat?" come up regarding these images, nor did any of my friends ask that I can recall.

I do vaguely recall at some point even younger having a close encounter of the cat kind that did not go so well, where in I got scratched and was crying. I believe at that point the difference between cats and dogs may have been laid out for me, and I learned to give cats space. I don't think that's untypical.

Had an almost-adult teenager asked, "What is a cat?" in my High School, there would have either been a punchline coming, or they would have been "special".

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

However, even if not or if Dunkels had another cat before, there are different breeds of cats. Considering both of these are cats, realizing Jeremy is not just another little more exotic breed may not be so simple:

exotic-shorthair-cat.jpg220px-Sphinx2_July_2006.jpg

Aw, that white fuzz ball is so cute.                                                                                                                        "Mommy, I shaved the cat."

18 hours ago, Scotty said:
On 8/22/2019 at 7:18 AM, hkmaly said:

Remember that Elliot only met Tedd in 4th Grade. MAYBE Kitsunes were involved, but I suspect that Edward send some agents to watch Tedd ...

Elliot knew of Tedd before 4th grade though, Ellen compared Noah to being "3rd grade Tedd awkward", and I think Second Life Ellen knowing Tedd all the way back in kindergarten can be an indication that Tedd and Elliot have been in the same class together from that point too, it's just that in the main universe Elliot didn't step up to Tedd's defense and become friends with him until the 4th grade. Though I guess from Tedd's perspective, if he had been avoiding interacting with classmates (like we saw in the SL page), there's a good chance he didn't pay attention to who was who (other than maybe Tony who picked on him frequently) so Elliot coming to his defense in 4th grade would have been Tedd's first contact with Elliot.

Elliot probably knew of Tedd sooner, but not THAT much if he though Tedd is a girl. If Dunkels would be watching Tedd, he would know better.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

Hmm...considering Ellen felt the need to hug Tedd after the first night of SL dreams, do you think that maybe she felt bit guilty for Elliot(and by extension, herself) not having reached out to Tedd sooner?

Maybe.

17 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

I grew up (chronologically, if not other ways) in a place that did not have an overabundance of cats, but enough such that my parents did not have to explain to me what the animal in the Hat was. When I was three or four, my parents took me to the Philadelphia zoo. When we saw big cats, I did not have to ask what a cat was. Within the same year or so, my folks took me on a train to NYC (shortly before passenger service from our town in Pa to NYC shut off), and we saw the Museum of Natural History, the one off Central Park (I did not know that at the time). When we saw Smilodon, I did not need to ask about what a cat was; I did ask a bazillion questions, but that wasn't one of them. By the time I entered school, and my classmates and I learned to read using an off-brand primer with Alice and Jerry and Jip (Jip was a dog) and Jip had his encounter with Another Creature, out of thirty of us, exactly none had to have the concept of "cat" explained to them.

We also had television, a big blond cabinet with a black and white screen. The shows had cats, the commercials had cats, my cartoons had cats. I recall Ruff and Reddy, I must have been all of two or three years old (three, per Wiki, when it was first aired). Of course, Sylvester, and then Katnip, which I only just learned is spelled with a K. (Also, Arnold Stang voiced Herman, the mouse, I did not know that. He was one of the mechanics who's service station is destroyed by Jonathan Winters in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. Also voiced one of the cats in Top Cat.) Disney had a few, there was an antagonist cat in Cinderella, and the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland. At no point did "What is a cat?" come up regarding these images, nor did any of my friends ask that I can recall.

I do vaguely recall at some point even younger having a close encounter of the cat kind that did not go so well, where in I got scratched and was crying. I believe at that point the difference between cats and dogs may have been laid out for me, and I learned to give cats space. I don't think that's untypical.

I'm not proposing Tedd didn't knew what a cat is at age of four. I'm proposing he was not aware that Jeremy is not ordinary cat. He's not THAT different, especially if you include all those animated cats.

To paraphrase your language, when Tedd saw Jeremy, he didn't need to ask what it is: it was obviously cat.

59 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I'm not proposing Tedd didn't knew what a cat is at age of four. I'm proposing he was not aware that Jeremy is not ordinary cat. He's not THAT different, especially if you include all those animated cats.

To paraphrase your language, when Tedd saw Jeremy, he didn't need to ask what it is: it was obviously cat.

If you're just saying Ashley overreacted, I agree with you.

26 minutes ago, detrius said:

Cat or Tribble?

When I first saw the Tribble episode, I recognized Heinlein's flat cats from The Rolling Stones. So, maybe both?

I suspect they all were inspired by Pigs is Pigs by Ellis Parker Butler, 1905. And that was inspired by the non-fictional version of pet rabbits.

18 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

If you're just saying Ashley overreacted, I agree with you.

That possibly too, but this started with "Why didn't Tedd asked where Jeremy came from" ... and my point was that Tedd could have Jeremy for years before realizing that such question would be worth asking.

2 minutes ago, Haylo said:

I suspect they all were inspired by Pigs is Pigs by Ellis Parker Butler, 1905. And that was inspired by the non-fictional version of pet rabbits.

I've read that somewhere before, and it sounds right. It's a well known story, and Heinlein would have known it.