• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Story Wednesday August 21, 2019

3 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

That possibly too, but this started with "Why didn't Tedd asked where Jeremy came from" ... and my point was that Tedd could have Jeremy for years before realizing that such question would be worth asking.

More likely that knowing of alien tech he just accepted it.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

That possibly too, but this started with "Why didn't Tedd asked where Jeremy came from" ... and my point was that Tedd could have Jeremy for years before realizing that such question would be worth asking.

More likely that knowing of alien tech he just accepted it.

Note that I think he had Jeremy longer than TF gun.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If Dunkels would be watching Tedd, he would know better.

OH! You're talking about before Elliot and Tedd became friends? I was talking about after Elliot started spending time at Tedd's house.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:
23 hours ago, hkmaly said:

If Dunkels would be watching Tedd, he would know better.

OH! You're talking about before Elliot and Tedd became friends? I was talking about after Elliot started spending time at Tedd's house.

Yes.

Elliot obviously only started spending time at Tedd's house AFTER 4th grade. At such age, Tedd wouldn't need a babysitter, and might actually already be capable of staying home alone for multiple days if it was necessary for Edward's work. If Dunkels were involved at that point, it was more for socialization than Tedd needing to be watched.

Although looking at timeline, Edward only infiltrated the company developing Grace TWO YEARS later. So if Jeremy is from that project, Tedd might actually see Brownie (or other cat Dunkels had) before Jeremy.

Of course, this timeline makes more likely Adrian and Edward were not on friendly terms at that point, so maybe Jeremy and Max are from some earlier infiltration?

On 8/22/2019 at 2:58 AM, hkmaly said:
On 8/21/2019 at 1:10 PM, Darth Fluffy said:

Tedd could have been a toddler, and it may have been the first cat he ever saw.

It could've been first cat he saw even if he was older - or not first, but considering there are different breeds of cats

On 8/22/2019 at 2:58 PM, Darth Fluffy said:

When I was three or four, my parents took me to the Philadelphia zoo. When we saw big cats, I did not have to ask what a cat was.

While we are clarifying things:

Hmmm ... according to wikipedia, toddler is 12 to 36 months old. That's three years. Ok, I though it was less.

And note that I meant seeing cat live. Yes, it's likely he saw pictures even as toddler.

Still, it was bad explanation. The one with different breeds of cats is better. I find unlikely child at age 3 would have enough experience with different breeds of cats to recognize Jeremy as something suspicious - instead, such child would likely immediately recognize Jeremy as "kitty" and wouldn't doubt that.

2 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Yes.

Elliot obviously only started spending time at Tedd's house AFTER 4th grade. At such age, Tedd wouldn't need a babysitter, and might actually already be capable of staying home alone for multiple days if it was necessary for Edward's work. If Dunkels were involved at that point, it was more for socialization than Tedd needing to be watched.

Although looking at timeline, Edward only infiltrated the company developing Grace TWO YEARS later. So if Jeremy is from that project, Tedd might actually see Brownie (or other cat Dunkels had) before Jeremy.

Of course, this timeline makes more likely Adrian and Edward were not on friendly terms at that point, so maybe Jeremy and Max are from some earlier infiltration?

Hmmm ... according to wikipedia, toddler is 12 to 36 months old. That's three years. Ok, I though it was less.

And note that I meant seeing cat live. Yes, it's likely he saw pictures even as toddler.

Still, it was bad explanation. The one with different breeds of cats is better. I find unlikely child at age 3 would have enough experience with different breeds of cats to recognize Jeremy as something suspicious - instead, such child would likely immediately recognize Jeremy as "kitty" and wouldn't doubt that.

Excuse me? My original point was that Tedd must have been a toddler. You said a late teen might have reasonably never seen a cat and not know Jeremy was unusual.

4 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Excuse me? My original point was that Tedd must have been a toddler. You said a late teen might have reasonably never seen a cat and not know Jeremy was unusual.

First, I never said he was late teen. I was just saying that he could be older than toddler and still not seeing cat ... and I'm taking it back, you convinced me that it's unlikely. Even if he would not seen cat "live" until school, it wouldn't have any effect on recognizing Jeremy, because there are plenty of cats in TV, as you mentioned.

HOWEVER, I'm keeping the part about not knowing Jeremy was unusual, because THAT I consider defensible even in later age.

Clearer now?

8 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Considering that children significantly past age three have no trouble recognizing these as cats...

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fc1.staticflickr.com%2F3

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:
13 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Clearer now?

That you had changed you mind wasn't clear at all before, so yes, that is clear now.

I tough that "Still, it was bad explanation." would suggest that ... well, at least it's clear now.

8 hours ago, Don Edwards said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I find unlikely child at age 3 would have enough experience with different breeds of cats to recognize Jeremy as something suspicious - instead, such child would likely immediately recognize Jeremy as "kitty" and wouldn't doubt that.

Considering that children significantly past age three have no trouble recognizing these as cats...

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fc1.staticflickr.com%2F3

... I didn't expected I will be proven right SO convincingly.

The name "polecat" might also suggest something, if not for guinea pig, which I hope most people don't confuse with pigs.

6 hours ago, hkmaly said:

I tough that "Still, it was bad explanation." would suggest that ... well, at least it's clear now.

You said "HOWEVER, I'm keeping the part about not knowing Jeremy was unusual, because THAT I consider defensible even in later age."

I still think you're wrong. How is that not clear? By the fact that you mentioned it again and emphasized "HOWEVER", you obviously knew that.

I do not think it is worth trying to convince you otherwise. The vibe I get from your posts is that in spite of occasionally insightful comments, what you really thrive on is pointless controversy. I don't want to play that stupid game. Hence, I often drop your threads rather than respond to them. Go troll someone who prefers to play.

3 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

The vibe I get from your posts is that in spite of occasionally insightful comments, what you really thrive on is pointless controversy. I don't want to play that stupid game. Hence, I often drop your threads rather than respond to them. Go troll someone who prefers to play.

I want to be fair here -- and please note, I am not saying this wearing my moderator hat -- I don't think @hkmaly is deliberately trolling. English is not their first language and often problems can be traced to a communications tangle. Oral notation notwithstanding, I usually enjoy hkmaly's comments. My own bad temper at times gets the better of me and people tend to tolerate me in spite of that; I feel it behooves me to show some patience in turn when I am able to.

I still think you're wrong.

I'm ok with that, as long as my point is clear. What I might react disproportionally is when someone is opposing my point without hearing it out, or not understanding what I'm trying to say.

(And, probably, sometimes when I'm not understanding what they are saying ... )

what you really thrive on is pointless controversy

I might be nitpicking sometimes ... well, often ... but I'm not going for controversy just for the controversy. Also, I'm never pretending to have opinion I don't actually have just because it gets "better" reaction that the opinion I actually have, or for any other reason. (Not counting cases where I preface sentence with something like "Playing devil advocate" ... I hope THOSE are clear.)

However, I don't think I can convince you about this. Either you would believe me or not.

1 hour ago, The Old Hack said:

I want to be fair here -- and please note, I am not saying this wearing my moderator hat -- I don't think @hkmaly is deliberately trolling. English is not their first language and often problems can be traced to a communications tangle. Oral notation notwithstanding, I usually enjoy hkmaly's comments. My own bad temper at times gets the better of me and people tend to tolerate me in spite of that; I feel it behooves me to show some patience in turn when I am able to.

Thank you.

7 hours ago, The Old Hack said:

AH, that's fair. I saw the EU tag, guess I should have connected those dots. Thanks.

Edited by Darth Fluffy
typo

10 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

AH, that's fair. I saw the EU tag, guess I should have connected those dots. Thanks.

... yeah, brexit is technically still in progress but I will be in EU even afterwards and English is not my first language. Also, I get most of my english language knowledge in technical manuals and in webcomics, so it may not be exactly balanced :)

11 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

... yeah, brexit is technically still in progress but I will be in EU even afterwards and English is not my first language. Also, I get most of my english language knowledge in technical manuals and in webcomics, so it may not be exactly balanced :)

I use a lot of idioms and allusions, I'm sure that does not track well.

6 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
19 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

I use a lot of idioms and allusions, I'm sure that does not track well.

The worst part is that I don't even know. Like, sometimes it's obvious I'm missing something due to gaps in language, but sometimes it isn't ... at least not to me.

26 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The worst part is that I don't even know. Like, sometimes it's obvious I'm missing something due to gaps in language, but sometimes it isn't ... at least not to me.

And sometimes context will spectacularly fool you. When I was sixteen, I managed to get the impression that 'contrite' was synonymous with 'contrary.'

In my defense, the word was used of a character who until that point in the story had never shown any emotion apart from anger, rudeness and self-pity. I did not really see contrition come easily to someone like that. (I also failed to notice that she was being sarcastic.)