• Announcements

• Robin

Welcome!   03/05/2016

Welcome, everyone, to the new 910CMX Community Forums. I'm still working on getting them running, so things may change.  If you're a 910 Comic creator and need your forum recreated, let me know and I'll get on it right away.  I'll do my best to make this new place as fun as the last one!
Sign in to follow this  
Pharaoh RutinTutin

Story Friday August 23, 2019

https://egscomics.com/comic/party-052

C'mon Nanase. 
Don't let facts get in the way. 
Sarah likes Justin's story just the way it is.

As for Ashley's amnesia?

I am wondering if Ashley had met Nanase at some point long before the griffon event, and is only recognizing her from the previous meeting within the (somewhat) safer environment of Tedd's house?

6 minutes ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:

As for Ashley's amnesia?

I am wondering if Ashley had met Nanase at some point long before the griffon event, and is only recognizing her from the previous meeting within the (somewhat) safer environment of Tedd's house?

The "amnesia" is certainly due to Nanase having different hair during "griffin event". And clothes.

Does Nanase now have a spell that prevents people from connecting her powered-up state with her normal one? How many of the main cast are going to want one too, and is it a spell that Tedd can put in a watch?

I guess a more likely problem is that Ashley is expecting everyone there to be a fictional shape shifter -- meaning she expects each individual to have one obvious and consistent "Tell" for the audience to recognize. She probably thought Nanase's "Tell" was the two-tone hair.

5 minutes ago, ijuin said:
16 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

The "amnesia" is certainly due to Nanase having different hair during "griffin event". And clothes.

Also, Nanase's hair is too much longer now than it was 3 weeks ago (story time--the griffin encounter) for natural hair growth. It is only because Nanase used magic to alter her hair that her new style is possible.

I hope that she transforms her hair next page to show Ashley.

Remember how William and Gillian had problems recognizing Tedd without glasses?

3 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Both style, and color, but still, face, and voice? There must be something else going on.

Well, would be enough to confuse ME. Like, not on someone I know well, but on someone I saw just once? Easily.

8 minutes ago, hkmaly said:

Well, would be enough to confuse ME. Like, not on someone I know well, but on someone I saw just once? Easily.

Met on one occasion, not long ago, it was not brief, they talked to each other for a bit, the Griffins highlighted Nanase, Ashley was totally blown away by Nanase's fairy form, Ashley has an appreciation for hot females, which Nanase clearly is, and Nanase is openly in a relationship with a girl, so Ashley knows at some level there could be a potential connection, and they're both Asian, in a very vanilla community; I'm sure comparing notes has crossed their minds. Even a little bit of conflict ("Seriously?") to underscore the memory.

Sorry, I have to agree with Nanase, "What?". I'm sure it will come spilling out soon, hopefully Monday.

44 minutes ago, Darth Fluffy said:
1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Met on one occasion, not long ago, it was not brief, they talked to each other for a bit, the Griffins highlighted Nanase, Ashley was totally blown away by Nanase's fairy form, Ashley has an appreciation for hot females, which Nanase clearly is, and Nanase is openly in a relationship with a girl, so Ashley knows at some level there could be a potential connection, and they're both Asian, in a very vanilla community; I'm sure comparing notes has crossed their minds. Even a little bit of conflict ("Seriously?") to underscore the memory.

Sorry, I have to agree with Nanase, "What?". I'm sure it will come spilling out soon, hopefully Monday.

On the other hand, there was a LOT of other stuff happening that day (and Cheerleadra v2 was definitely more hot than Nanase - Ashley definitely thinks so).

Yes, we will see on Monday. It's just that the idea that Nanase somehow got automatic forgetting effect seem weird, and Dan DID explicitly mentioned there will be no simple way to erase someone's memory like on MiB ...

... so we should at least think about the possibility it's something mundane?

On the other hand, playing devil advocate ... her reaction to Jeremy MIGHT've been first hint something weird is happening. Like, we already talked about how it's possible Jeremy surprised her more than griffins ... but if she somehow DID forget the griffins along with Nanase ...

Ashley's boyfriend was revealed to be a super heroine, there were griffins and an exploding aberration.

Since then, her boyfriend and his sister kidnapped her while being possessed by a ghost and yet another monster, she became a wizard and caretaker of a sentient magic artifact.

Afterwards, she was unable to talk to her best friend about everything that had happened to her because she had to keep it a secret.

I'd say it's fair to assume she's a bit traumatized and needs help to process the events, which was the inspiration for throwing this party in the first place.

Considering all of the above and taking Nanase's different hair colour into account, I'm not suprised by Ashley not being able to instantly remember where she met Nanase before.

It's actually nice to see characters that are being affected by events. Imagine a TV show where people get turned into lizards and one week later, they're back to their human selves and sipping coffee as if nothing happened - now that's just bad writing!

44 minutes ago, detrius said:

Imagine a TV show where people get turned into lizards and one week later, they're back to their human selves and sipping coffee as if nothing happened - now that's just bad writing!

Not necessarily.

If everyone in Boston was turned into a Lizard, Cliff and Norm would still be at the end of the bar drinking beer.

3 hours ago, hkmaly said:
3 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Both style, and color, but still, face, and voice? There must be something else going on.

Well, would be enough to confuse ME. Like, not on someone I know well, but on someone I saw just once? Easily

This is likely why Tedd felt the need to reintroduce herself to Ashley, Ashley's seen Tedd in school, but not as a girl and even though female Tedd doesn't look that much different than male Tedd, having boobs might have been enough to throw Ashley off if Elliot hadn't mentioned it to her before hand.

If Nanase had been using the fairy doll she had just made, Ashley might have been able to associate that with Nanase and then just commented about how different she looks. I highly suspect that Dan's done this intentionally to get the ball rolling on everyone telling Ashley what kind of magic they can do, and we're going to start with Nanase showing off her hair change spell.

Also I think it should be noted that Ashley didn't have any "OMG SHE LOOKS LIKE SUSAN!" reaction to meeting Diane, whereas Ellen, Grace and Elliot immediately saw the resemblance. Nanase had to have it pointed out to her before she saw it, so it's likely that Diane's hair was enough to keep Nanase from seeing her as a Susan clone....well maybe her attitude and choice of clothing at the time helped as well. Still we know in Justin's case it had to take a change of attitude to get him to see it. Can't wait to see how Tedd and Sarah react when they finally meet Diane.

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

Also I think it should be noted that Ashley didn't have any "OMG SHE LOOKS LIKE SUSAN!" reaction to meeting Diane, ...

She knows Susan, she didn't seem to know her well, but she's also seen the reviews, so less contact. Per Justin, I think the behavior is part of the resemblance, and Diane was more subdued than normal during the griffins; part of the crowd, not the leader. I think she didn't know either of them well enough to make the connection; it took everyone else a while as well. Rhoda may have picked up on the resemblance first. (She wasn't the first to mention it in the comics, but when it came up, she'd already noticed it.)

It would be a strange point in the story to bring this up, but maybe Ashley has below-average facial recognition? I know I tend to have a hard time telling apart people with similar faces (particularly if they also have similar hair, skin, and body-type, or those are obscured); it's not just people I don't know well either - there have been times where I've seen people who if it wasn't for the voice or the context I would have sworn were my parents.

I don't buy this. Remember "Princess Power?" Ashley is very visually oriented; look at all the attention she pays to fashion. Dan has dug himself a hole with this stunt, unless he's going to introduce memory erasure into EGS, which doesn't fit at all into the context he's built up.

1 hour ago, Tom Sewell said:

I don't buy this. Remember "Princess Power?" Ashley is very visually oriented; look at all the attention she pays to fashion. Dan has dug himself a hole with this stunt, unless he's going to introduce memory erasure into EGS, which doesn't fit at all into the context he's built up.

Where do we see Ashley paying attention to fashion?

Also she only saw Nanase for a couple hours and it was 3 weeks ago, there have been times where I might remember a couple details of a particular day, but not everything, Ashley might have remembered the "princess power" being used to describe someone with black and red hair, but there's no person with black and red hair in the room right now.

Just now, Darth Fluffy said:

Dressing up for her first date with Elliot.

I don't see that as paying attention to fashion, she was nervous about making an impression and spent a fair bit of time trying to pick something out. She also spent a lot more time wearing the outfit she chose than she spent in the presence of Nanase and beyond "Princess Power" and Fairy Dolls, she didn't get to know much else about her and there's likely some stuff that got drowned out by the other stuff that was going on that night so Ashley not instantly recognizing Nanase isn't that big of a stretch.

19 hours ago, Pharaoh RutinTutin said:
20 hours ago, detrius said:

Imagine a TV show where people get turned into lizards and one week later, they're back to their human selves and sipping coffee as if nothing happened - now that's just bad writing!

Not necessarily.

If everyone in Boston was turned into a Lizard, Cliff and Norm would still be at the end of the bar drinking beer.

Probably, but they would either talk about being turned into lizard, or complain how so much weird stuff is happening to them than being turned into lizards doesn't seem out of ordinary.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:
22 hours ago, hkmaly said:
22 hours ago, Darth Fluffy said:

Well, would be enough to confuse ME. Like, not on someone I know well, but on someone I saw just once? Easily

This is likely why Tedd felt the need to reintroduce herself to Ashley, Ashley's seen Tedd in school, but not as a girl and even though female Tedd doesn't look that much different than male Tedd, having boobs might have been enough to throw Ashley off if Elliot hadn't mentioned it to her before hand.

Yes. Also, remember Ellen and Elliot: without warning, Ashley might assume this is Tedd's sister.

15 hours ago, ChronosCat said:

It would be a strange point in the story to bring this up, but maybe Ashley has below-average facial recognition? I know I tend to have a hard time telling apart people with similar faces (particularly if they also have similar hair, skin, and body-type, or those are obscured); it's not just people I don't know well either - there have been times where I've seen people who if it wasn't for the voice or the context I would have sworn were my parents.

Even without below-average facial recognition, she might be just paying more attention to hair and be more used to identifying people by hair.

Or, maybe DAN has below-average facial recognition, which makes him more likely to write story like this without realizing other people might be seeing it suspicious.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Also she only saw Nanase for a couple hours and it was 3 weeks ago, there have been times where I might remember a couple details of a particular day, but not everything, Ashley might have remembered the "princess power" being used to describe someone with black and red hair, but there's no person with black and red hair in the room right now.

Also note that "princess power" is not exactly accurate description of what was said about Nanase.

Maybe Ashley just doesn't have good memory in general, or, more likely ...

3 hours ago, Scotty said:

and there's likely some stuff that got drowned out by the other stuff that was going on that night so Ashley not instantly recognizing Nanase isn't that big of a stretch.

... there was so much stuff happening some details just ended up forgotten.

18 hours ago, Scotty said:

I highly suspect that Dan's done this intentionally to get the ball rolling on everyone telling Ashley what kind of magic they can do, and we're going to start with Nanase showing off her hair change spell.

Yes. Looking forward to it.

6 hours ago, Scotty said:

I don't see that as paying attention to fashion, she was nervous about making an impression and spent a fair bit of time trying to pick something out. She also spent a lot more time wearing the outfit she chose than she spent in the presence of Nanase and beyond "Princess Power" and Fairy Dolls, she didn't get to know much else about her and there's likely some stuff that got drowned out by the other stuff that was going on that night so Ashley not instantly recognizing Nanase isn't that big of a stretch.

True, it doesn't seem to be central to her life, more like she has an awareness of fashion.

1 hour ago, Darth Fluffy said:
8 hours ago, Scotty said:

True, it doesn't seem to be central to her life, more like she has an awareness of fashion.

I though awareness of fashion is on X chromosome and girls having two of those are therefore very unlikely to not have it :)

Does Ashley pay that much attention to fashion? Enough to dress up for her internet girlfriend, and enough to leave her jacket in Elliot's car on a winter night for her first date with Elliot because she didn't want to look like a marshmallow.

A cookie for Scotty for remembering "Princess Power" from when Ashley was kidnapped by Sirleck and Magus. That was two weeks ago in story time.

And Ashley not only saw Nanase, she talked with Nanase. So she doesn't remember Nanase's voice? Well, maybe not just from "Hi", but...

Just now, Tom Sewell said:

Does Ashley pay that much attention to fashion? Enough to dress up for her internet girlfriend, and enough to leave her jacket in Elliot's car on a winter night for her first date with Elliot because she didn't want to look like a marshmallow.

I think there's a big difference between remembering what you're wearing and remembering what someone else is wearing though, as I said before, Ashley was nervous about looking good for Elliot so she'd of course focus her attention to that, with Nanase she's more likely to focus on the magic related stuff than what Nanase actually looked like.

13 hours ago, Scotty said:
17 hours ago, hkmaly said:

Also note that "princess power" is not exactly accurate description of what was said about Nanase.

Ashley used the term "Princess Power" when talking to Magus though.

Yes. And he seemed confused by it as expected.

"Princess Power" sounds like something from cartoon featuring animals singing in duet with people, lot of flowers and lot of talk about love with just single kiss at end.

"Royal level power" would be more accurate. What Andrea actually SAID was that Nanase has level of power usually associated with royal bloodlines on her half of world. Dame Tara wasn't that specific but still better.

1 hour ago, hkmaly said:

Yes. And he seemed confused by it as expected.

"Princess Power" sounds like something from cartoon featuring animals singing in duet with people, lot of flowers and lot of talk about love with just single kiss at end.

"Royal level power" would be more accurate. What Andrea actually SAID was that Nanase has level of power usually associated with royal bloodlines on her half of world. Dame Tara wasn't that specific but still better.

But Ashley wasn't there when Andrea talked about it, just when Tara first mentioned it.

BTW, I just remembered that Ashley herself let her hair down as "camouflage" after leaving the mall, so she thought that changing a simple detail like that would make people not recognize her. Mind you I am aware that this method is mostly effective from a distance or in crowds, but maybe she underestimated just how much of a difference in appearance hairstyles can make.